ADVERTISEMENT

A sensible discussion on climate change/global warming

We absolutely and factually know that climate change is happening now and it's caused by humans.

John Kerry's one private jet is having a minimal impact on it. Same with Trump's jet.

How does that 420 ppm compare to the total atmosphere? I read somewhere its about .04% of the total. If it was 300 ppm in 1950 (which I assume is the earliest actual reading) then its gained 120 ppm in the last 73 years. A lot when compared to 300 but very small when viewed as a whole. Maybe a scientist can weigh in for us lay people.

Reactions: goldmom and F4Gary
How does that 420 ppm compare to the total atmosphere? I read somewhere its about .04% of the total. If it was 300 ppm in 1950 (which I assume is the earliest actual reading) then its gained 120 ppm in the last 73 years. A lot when compared to 300 but very small when viewed as a whole. Maybe a scientist can weigh in for us lay people.

I don't know.

A scientist here would be great.

Getting back on track watch the video and disagree if you wish with PHD Curry,
The "Relax" video is shorter and well done with a neutral interviewer.
Give clear reasons for disagreement. Low resolution thinking remarks are unnecessary. Disagree without being disagreeable(confrontational)

Reactions: fsufool
Getting back on track watch the video and disagree if you wish with PHD Curry,
The "Relax" video is shorter and well done with a neutral interviewer.
Give clear reasons for disagreement. Low resolution thinking remarks are unnecessary. Disagree without being disagreeable(confrontational)
I don't agree or disagree with the whole idea of climate change or global warming. My question is how do we know its an actual shift based on limited data? How do we know its man made? Could this all be a pattern or cycle if we had all the data?

I agree with the first part of the video in that it is a political discussion. I don't think it should be but that's where we are these days. My opinion on this is kind of like my opinion on religion, I don't know if its all true but I don't know its not either so I wont press my luck.

It seems possible/likely that this isn’t an either/or issue but rather both/and. It’s clear that the earth is ever evolving, it’s a far different place now than it was during the ice ages or when dinosaurs roamed the planet. And that has nothing to do with humans. That being said it’s hard for me to believe that all of the things humans do, cut down rainforests, cause species to go extinct, pump waste into waterways, pump gases into the atmosphere, etc, don’t have some consequences for the planet. It’s a relatively delicate ecosystem and when so much of it has been altered in one way or another by humans it strains credibility to think there wouldn’t be resulting changes to the planet. How do you quantify how much of this is due to humans vs the natural changing of the earth is way above my pay grade and I wonder how even someone who studies this for a living could accurately answer that.

It seems possible/likely that this isn’t an either/or issue but rather both/and. It’s clear that the earth is ever evolving, it’s a far different place now than it was during the ice ages or when dinosaurs roamed the planet. And that has nothing to do with humans. That being said it’s hard for me to believe that all of the things humans do, cut down rainforests, cause species to go extinct, pump waste into waterways, pump gases into the atmosphere, etc, don’t have some consequences for the planet. It’s a relatively delicate ecosystem and when so much of it has been altered in one way or another by humans it strains credibility to think there wouldn’t be resulting changes to the planet. How do you quantify how much of this is due to humans vs the natural changing of the earth is way above my pay grade and I wonder how even someone who studies this for a living could accurately answer that.

Seems pretty sensible..

What a novel idea.. two things can maybe be true at the same time?

Too often in todays world, it’s black or white. Yes or no. No questions asked..

When I’m reality, there’s nuance to things. It’s not always as cut and dry as people want to make it look

Key questions

Humans flourishing For or against

Africa and human development vs UN and Paris climate accord? For or against

I was taught as a young scientist that the biggest skeptic of my data should be ME!

Wise words! However, if your grant money/job was depending on you removing your skepticism from your research what would you do? Done deal if it was me.
I worked in the private sector for 35 years. Our job was always to make a product. Removing skepticism is code for lying. No one EVER paid me enough to lie. The reason for that is shockingly simple. If you’re attempting making a product, any bull$&#@ in basic research is eventually exposed and you’ve wasted a lot of time and money.
Things like climate science and even epidemiology are ongoing. It’s really tough to predict final results when nothing is ever final😎

Reactions: bcherod and DFSNOLE
Seems pretty sensible..

What a novel idea.. two things can maybe be true at the same time?

Too often in todays world, it’s black or white. Yes or no. No questions asked..

When I’m reality, there’s nuance to things. It’s not always as cut and dry as people want to make it look
Only two? I think in this situation requires more like 4-6.

I don't agree or disagree with the whole idea of climate change or global warming. My question is how do we know its an actual shift based on limited data? How do we know its man made? Could this all be a pattern or cycle if we had all the data?

I agree with the first part of the video in that it is a political discussion. I don't think it should be but that's where we are these days. My opinion on this is kind of like my opinion on religion, I don't know if its all true but I don't know its not either so I wont press my luck.
Like COVID (just bear with me😎), the question is this: Can we afford to assume the best case scenario, do nothing, and be wrong? Was it wise (without 20/20 hindsight) to assume that masks do not work? After all, I don’t think anybody ever died from wearing a mask. Sometimes caution really is the best path forward.

Like COVID (just bear with me😎), the question is this: Can we afford to assume the best case scenario, do nothing, and be wrong? Was it wise (without 20/20 hindsight) to assume that masks do not work? After all, I don’t think anybody ever died from wearing a mask. Sometimes caution really is the best path forward.
No, wearing a mask didn't kill anyone but to say there were no negative effects is likely wrong as well. On the other hand its hard to say if masks stopped anyone from dying or getting sick. They could have but its hard to say without a situation where masks were universal and equally effective.

With the global warming thing I agree its probably best to plan for were all going to drown or burn in a fire in 5 years and hope its not that bad. Less carbon emissions and pollution in general is a good thing along with renewable energy and others.

I worked in the private sector for 35 years. Our job was always to make a product. Removing skepticism is code for lying. No one EVER paid me enough to lie. The reason for that is shockingly simple. If you’re attempting making a product, any bull$&#@ in basic research is eventually exposed and you’ve wasted a lot of time and money.
Things like climate science and even epidemiology are ongoing. It’s really tough to predict final results when nothing is ever final😎
Like the guy that got fired from Ocean Gate for wanting the hull to be certified by a outside company. Basically they wanted him to "lie" and say it was good. Eventually the truth came out. Unfortunately at the expense of 5 people including the one that fired him.

No, wearing a mask didn't kill anyone but to say there were no negative effects is likely wrong as well. On the other hand its hard to say if masks stopped anyone from dying or getting sick. They could have but its hard to say without a situation where masks were universal and equally effective.

With the global warming thing I agree its probably best to plan for were all going to drown or burn in a fire in 5 years and hope its not that bad. Less carbon emissions and pollution in general is a good thing along with renewable energy and others.

Caught Covid from N 95 mask wearers. Another problem with renewables is bad weather events which the alarmists claim is due to climate change/global warming!
No win situation for that "alleged" narrative with its dire predictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
People need to understand the current UN and Paris climate accord and its lack of concern for the starving around the world needing modern energy. Their lives don't matter?

“the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” FDR

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Caught Covid from N 95 mask wearers, Another problem with renewables is bad weather events which the alarmists claim is due to climate change/global warming!
No win situation for that "alleged" narrative with its dire predictions.
How did you know it was from a mask wearer? I would think its hard to figure where it came from. This includes those that say they caught it from a non jabbed person.

My point is people who wore masks likely caught it from others with masks and those without, the same as ones that didn't wear a mask. Same as the jabbed, they likely were infected by those with and without the jab. This was going to run its course either way IMO.

As far as the weather events its easy to point to a bad hurricane or heatwave and say its caused by human induced climate change but how do they know? What are they comparing it to? I'm not saying it cant be but its really speculation outside of the last 150 or so years.

More climate change fun. Here's an article from Fox so its more like satire but still funny.

Hottest day in 120,000 years. Holy moly, that’s hot! Maybe we do have a climate emergency on our hands 😂

I love the tweet, I just checked with my friend who is 120,000 years old and can confirm!

Well... the VP just said we need to reduce population to help the environment. I don't know if this was another one of her many gaffes or if she said the quiet part out loud.

“When we invest in clean energy and electric vehicles and reduce population, more of our children can breath clean air and drink clean water.”

GO NOLES!!!

How did you know it was from a mask wearer? I would think its hard to figure where it came from. This includes those that say they caught it from a non jabbed person.

My point is people who wore masks likely caught it from others with masks and those without, the same as ones that didn't wear a mask. Same as the jabbed, they likely were infected by those with and without the jab. This was going to run its course either way IMO.

As far as the weather events its easy to point to a bad hurricane or heatwave and say its caused by human induced climate change but how do they know? What are they comparing it to? I'm not saying it cant be but its really speculation outside of the last 150 or so years.
I was homebound never left my home hired a pair of house cleaners wearing N95's.
Full blown case of Covid 19 2 days later. my proof. This occurred before the vaccine was available.

Well... the VP just said we need to reduce population to help the environment. I don't know if this was another one of her many gaffes or if she said the quiet part out loud.

“When we invest in clean energy and electric vehicles and reduce population, more of our children can breath clean air and drink clean water.”

GO NOLES!!!
And AI is 2 letters.

Reactions: CocoaNoles
Great example. So, we know that masks were part of the mitigation efforts of which student's test scores dropped dramatically, millions of people were put financially at risk, many refused to go to the hospital and were late to cancer diagnosis, murders spiked, mental health devolved, etc. So yes some people died because of the fear that wearing masks engendered. What part did masks play in all that? A epidemiologist might try to figure it out, but his results would be tentative at best and we will never know exactly what part masks played in all this. Complex systems are tough to get exact answers, just like global warning, as a complex system, is tough to get exacting answers.

I wonder how many people in America that don't work in hospitals still wear masks as protection from Covid?

Reactions: goldmom

GO NOLES!!!
This is a tough one. On one hand you can look back at the numerous gaffes and word salads and say its par for the course. On the other hand you could say maybe she did say the quiet part out loud. We just had a virus of conspicuous origins kill almost 7 million people (according to reported figures which people that think this was planned don't believe BTW) many of which had preexisting conditions or were up in years. I can see where many in the tin foil hat club would jump on board and say "see there's proof the dems are trying to kill us". But judging by the quality of the administrations speech writing ad speaking abilities it could be easily called a flub. There's always a third side to everything.

Reactions: CocoaNoles
I was homebound never left my home hired a pair of house cleaners wearing N95's.
Full blown case of Covid 19 2 days later. my proof. This occurred before the vaccine was available.
So your saying mitigation efforts were not effective. I said all along that there was no way to stop the spread, all we could do is hope to slow it down or wait until whoever designed it stopped it (if that's what you believe).

Love seeing bike riders or joggers wearing them while alone doing aerobic exercise. My favorite thing for protection is a 30" wide x 30" tall piece of plexi glass at a check out counter. It's impenetrable for any airborne virus.

GO NOLES!!!

Or the one where we had to wear a mask as we were walking to our booth at a restaurant.. but not while we were sitting down… thankfully the virus took it easy on those eating..

So your saying mitigation efforts were not effective. I said all along that there was no way to stop the spread, all we could do is hope to slow it down or wait until whoever designed it stopped it (if that's what you believe).
Yep Masks don't stop it. Vaccine doesn't stop you from catching it. Undecided on whether taking the vaccine is a good choice at this time. Long term effects unknown.

Great example. So, we know that masks were part of the mitigation efforts of which student's test scores dropped dramatically, millions of people were put financially at risk, many refused to go to the hospital and were late to cancer diagnosis, murders spiked, mental health devolved, etc. So yes some people died because of the fear that wearing masks engendered. What part did masks play in all that? A epidemiologist might try to figure it out, but his results would be tentative at best and we will never know exactly what part masks played in all this. Complex systems are tough to get exact answers, just like global warning, as a complex system, is tough to get exacting answers.
I think it is a bit of a false equivalence to compare test scores and financial well being to death. It’s difficult to be sure, but businesses and financials can be rebuilt and kids will continue to be educated. Did people refuse to go to hospitals because they scared of mitigation efforts or because some of those places were treating COVID patients in the hallways? Maybe that’s the cost of not mitigating. There are/were other ways to deal with all those problems you mentioned and still mitigate.
“I don’t want wear a mask because it messes with my mental health”. Seriously, buttercup?😒

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT