ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

I've been inexplicably distraught over the Chapecoense plane crash since the moment I heard it about yesterday morning. For whatever reason I can't get them out of my head. I posted this in the Locker Room already, but for those that haven't seen it, here's the video of them celebrating when they beat San Lorenzo, to advance to the final that they never made it to. It's just so joyful...and a fitting way to remember them I think.

Incredible to think that all but 6 of them (3 players survived and 3 players stayed behind due to suspension or injury) are now gone.

The 3 who stayed behind...

15193671_1211322162292717_4584189327772394733_n.jpg

15284872_2179965345562929_4839066723008909977_n.jpg

To Gunners,

You're welcome,

Chelsea

No Aguero (suspended for 4 games) or Fernandinho (3 games) when you play in 3 matchdays.
I'm of course also thrilled about how my Blues are playing. Just been keeping quiet as to not jinx them!

All donations happily accepted! :cool:

The Bournemouth comeback to beat the Peasants was a joy to watch, as was Fellaini's latest asshat
performance. I'm starting to have some sympathy for the United faithful like Manch. This has to be hard
to stomach with Moanrinho at the helm.

And how nice of PSG to draw in their final match against a wretched side while The Arsenal dispatched Basel 4-1, thus finishing first in the group. Gunners appear to be going into one of those high-scoring stretches they occasionally get into.

It's awesome that Arsenal finished first in their group...finally. My guess is they will now draw either Madrid or Munich.

Reactions: seminoleed
Dortmund or Munich...Madrid will likely go through, IMO...but the fact remains that we FINALLY win our group, and it's stacked with landmines going to the knockout round.

Reactions: seminoleed
Can someone please explain why Pogba is such a highly rated player? I am sure he isn't really a 100 Million Pound player like United paid, but everyone seems to rave about him and he is considered one of the best in the world. When I watch his games I have a tough time believing he is one of the top 11 in EPL not to mention top 11 in the world.

Of course it is Munich. I knew last week we would get either Munich or Madrid. What's next, Arsenal win their group next year only to draw Barca after they finish second in their CL group?

Ronaldo wins his 4th Ballon d'Or. Incredible feat. Only thing more incredible is this..."Messi, 29, was the runner-up for the fourth time in his career after also winning the award in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015."

http://www.espnfc.us/real-madrid/st...-ronaldo-beats-lionel-messi-to-win-ballon-dor

So Messi's 29 and has either won it or come in 2nd NINE times.

I wonder if CR7 has five 2nd place finishes? I bet it's pretty close if he doesn't.

No one has won the Ballon d'Or other than those two since 2007, when Kaka won it w/AC Milan.

(stolen from the comment section) "What an honor to watch both of them during their seemingly unending primes."

On the bright side, The Arsenal is in one of those periodic runs where they play at an extremely high
level, and this year Munich isn't quite the behemoth they've been in recent years. Still tough, but this is
as good a time as ever to draw Munich.

On the bright side, The Arsenal is in one of those periodic runs where they play at an extremely high
level, and this year Munich isn't quite the behemoth they've been in recent years. Still tough, but this is
as good a time as ever to draw Munich.
Agreed.

I'm not happy about the draw, but I don't think many teams will have wanted to draw us either, Bayern included.

And what a cluster that turned out to be. Fantastic choke job by the Gunners at home to Everton. Sheesh. I knew it was too good to be true.

And what a cluster that turned out to be. Fantastic choke job by the Gunners at home to Everton. Sheesh. I knew it was too good to be true.

That game was played at Everton. It was still a choke, but it was definitely made tougher by being at Everton. I don't think they have lost a game at home yet this year.

That game was played at Everton. It was still a choke, but it was definitely made tougher by being at Everton. I don't think they have lost a game at home yet this year.
I thought we lost a tough game. Didn't see it as choking. We had 2 great shots at goal in the final minute that were somewhat miraculously saved by field players. If we score either of those it's 2-2, and we say, "tough draw, but good game."

Gotta give credit to Everton.

We were undefeated on the road coming into this game. We lost our first game at home to Liverpool in a 4-3 shootout. That said, we've got 2 losses in 16 matches. That ain't half bad. We've got to beat City on Sunday now though. No room for further error w/Chelsea playing as great as they are.

Diego Costa is a nuisance in every sense of the word. I'd absolutely hate to play against him.

He's like the Ron Artest (in his prime) of the Premier League.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Happy to say I will be doing my yearly trip to England next week and will be seeing Arsenal play Crystal Palace at the Emirates. I wonder if Big Sam will be their manager by then?

Chelsea is playing on another level right now. The title is theirs for the taking if they can keep it up. The usual pretenders appear to have too many flaws to mount any kind of serious challenge.

Chelsea is playing on another level right now. The title is theirs for the taking if they can keep it up. The usual pretenders appear to have too many flaws to mount any kind of serious challenge.
No jinxing! :rolleyes:

Anyone else surprised that Liverpool still started Firmino despite being charged with DUI a day or 2 prior?

In a side note to this, his court hearing is on Jan. 31st -> the same day they host Chelsea. Not sure if it'll mean he can't play in the game, but honestly hoping it does. Mane most likely won't be there (ACN), so that decreases the number of options available to them.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Sick. Just totally sick.

The Arsenal 9 points out at the halfway point. Things can happen, but Chelsea is going to have to help anyone get back in the race.

Gotta hand it to banged-up Arsenal to salvage a draw at Bournemouth after being down 3-0 after 70'.

Watched The Arsenal game, and damn, that finish was almost as exciting as the Rose Bowl yesterday. Somehow, when Bournemouth went down to 10 men, you could almost feel it was inevitable the Gunners would draw.

Alexis Sanchez has 10x the heart of any Arsenal player. I don't see any possibility that he remains a Goon beyond his contract...and man do I hope I'm wrong.

Les, I agree, and I think it will take Wenger retiring and bringing in a manager who isn't so laid back with the lads to keep him at The Emirates. Dude hates to lose.

Les & Ed, I agree. I am not sure Ozil will stay either, but then again as good as he is, the team often looks better (as a whole) without him. Maybe it is his lack of defense at times.

As for yesterday, I followed on arseblog instead of watching because I had a feeling they would have trouble. Wenger has been moaning about the schedule for weeks as if he was trying to set up the fan base for a disappointment. I know the team is banged up, and the flu swept through last week, but for a big club we sure don't have many options.

As for Wenger leaving, I get the feeling he will be signing another new contract. When he signed the last one I was hoping it would be his last, but I don't get that feeling. Unfortunately 2 of my top choices are already in EPL now and there is no chance we get them at the Emirates (Klopp & Conte).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT