ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

I feared a win in the FA Cup would lead to the extension. Maybe it was decided before then, maybe not, I don't think we will ever know. However, it gives hope (even if false) that things are turning around and he can get the train back on the tracks.

My only hope is the Board, Kroenke, and others in charge, thought bringing him back for 2 years would help with some sort of transition. If instead it is that they believe Arsene can get things back to where they need to be, the club could be in trouble.

This goes beyond Wenger; the powers that be didn't have any kind of succession plan in place, so their hands were somewhat tied. Imagine dumping Wenger without a clear choice to replace him, then getting turned down by a succession of people. We'd have looked like the Gators. Hopefully, the next two years won't be as bad as we anticipate while plans for the future are being made.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I just hope Arsenal 2017 isn't FSU football circa 2000 entering into 2001 or even worse 2004 entering into 2005. This whole Wenger ordeal has me thinking I am experiencing the end of the Bowden era all over again.

If you guys were gamblers, what kind of odds would you put on Alexis Sanchez being sold to Bayern? And at what price.

Bayern are too chincey to do business with outright. I thinkAarsenal's choices are to try and keep him (obviously) or to allow Chelsea and Man City to bid up his price only to then sell him to PSG or Bayern (less likely).

He will not be sold to City or Chelsea or the fans, certainly I anyway, will revolt.

Reactions: seminoleed
I agree with Les on the destination...PSG, or less likely Bayern. I do not see Arsenal selling him to another EPL team.

As for the price, not nearly enough. I know due to his age he will most likely go in the 40-50 million range, but IMO he is worth a lot more.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Sanchez is demanding Messi/cr wages to force a move to a CL team.
I cant see him at psg or another epl, so ill say Munich

One thing that never gets mentioned...who is rumored to be after Ozil?

As far as I can tell...nobody.

Arsenal is bidding against itself to keep him. It's madness. He doesn't have the options that Sanchez does. Why on earth are we paying or proposing to pay him comparable wages?

Allegedly Arsenal just had an £87 mil bid knocked backed on Mbappe.

I admire the gusto (if that bid is true)...but supposedly Real Madrid had already bid more than that and been turned down already.

I wonder if part of AW's extension discussion said something to the effect, "Listen dammit...get your transfer business done as quickly as humanly possible so we can try and show Sanchez we're hungry."

On a lighter note, Rob Holding now has a song...and it's pretty great (in its ostentatiousness)!

And here he is singing it on the pitch after winning the FA Cup! Awesome!

My fear is that Sanchez will go to Chelsea. He likes London and Chelsea offers the Champions League. He would easily supplant Ashley Cole as the biggest Benedict Arnold in Arsenal history. If he has to stay in the Premier League, Man City would at least be tolerable. I mean, Arsenal has pretty much been a feeder club to Man City for years.

Juventus manager lost the plot subbing dybala off down 2 goals.

The Ramos red card sums up that football club in one play.

Anything is possible, but I think it's highly, highly unlikely.

Hell I still can't believe they won the Euros!

I agree, it is highly unlikely...maybe not impossible, but darn close. As for Euros, I think Portugal was actually better as a team once he went off with the injury. Had he been on the pitch the entire game I am not sure they win that game.

Doubtful on a world Cup, Portugal is basically just ronaldo offensively, just not much attacking talent. But you never know!

No break for Real and Juve, world cup games this weekend!

Bad news for Chelsea (and Belgium) as Hazard breaks his ankle in training with Belgium on Sunday. Out 2-3 months. Might miss some games early in the campaign (season is ~ 10 weeks away).

Bad news for Chelsea (and Belgium) as Hazard breaks his ankle in training with Belgium on Sunday. Out 2-3 months. Might miss some games early in the campaign (season is ~ 10 weeks away).
Damned national teams! :mad:

That sucks.

I wonder if it increases the odds he stays with Chelsea instead of moving to Madrid or Barca this summer.

That sucks.

I wonder if it increases the odds he stays with Chelsea instead of moving to Madrid or Barca this summer.
If so, then it's definitely a blessing in disguise for us Blues supporters.

No chance he leaves for spain imho, keep hearing his agent started those rumors to keep getting a wage raised. He doesn't fit into Madrids lineup or tactics right now, maybe he's kind similar to Isco in a way but Zidane wont bench him now after he took a step forward.

Bale and James should be sold asap.

And hazard , hes not gonna start over Messi/Neymar/Suarez, so i think he'll stay at Chelsea long term.

No chance he leaves for spain imho, keep hearing his agent started those rumors to keep getting a wage raised. He doesn't fit into Madrids lineup or tactics right now, maybe he's kind similar to Isco in a way but Zidane wont bench him now after he took a step forward.

Bale and James should be sold asap.

And hazard , hes not gonna start over Messi/Neymar/Suarez, so i think he'll stay at Chelsea long term.

Just to tag, he's also due a new contract in which he'll be paid more at Chelsea than he would at Madrid (the Spanish option -> Barca not so much) at or around £300K/wk.

Transfer season begins.

City with early buys in Bernardo Silva and Ederson. I've seen a few reports that they are bidding on Sanchez from Arsenal too. Can't even imagine Wenger selling within the EPL... and how would all of those stars cope with playing time if so? Jesus, KdB, Aguero, D Silva, B Silva, Sane, Gundogan, etc.

I'm happy with the possibility, and likelihood that we (United) sign Morata. Looks to be a fee of £60mil but with the market being what it is, I'm fine with that... we need a true 9. Apparently even though we released Zlatan, there's still a possibility he rehabs at Carrington and signs back on in January.

We still need a DM (reading of Fabinho as a possibility) a CB (Lindelof or Keane) and a winger (talk of Perisic). If Sanchez is actually for sale I honestly wouldn't care if Woodward doubled whatever price anyone is offering. He's exactly what we've needed.

It seemed like the Griezmann deal was all but done until the court ruling sanctioned the transfer (incoming) ban on Athleti and Greizmann didn't want to leave his club high and dry. It seems like we have a drama transfer saga like this each year.

Last edited:
England vs Scotland, the only marginally interesting match of the weekend for WC Qualifying, is on today @ noon. It's in Scotland (Glasgow), so the fans should be awesome.

Transfer season begins.

City with early buys in Bernardo Silva and Eder. I've seen a few reports that they are bidding on Sanchez from Arsenal too. Can't even imagine Wenger selling within the EPL... and how would all of those stars cope with playing time if so? Jesus, KdB, Aguero, D Silva, B Silva, Sane, Gundogan, etc.

I'm happy with the possibility, and likelihood that we (United) sign Morata. Looks to be a fee of £60mil but with the market being what it is, I'm fine with that... we need a true 9. Apparently even though we released Zlatan, there's still a possibility he rehabs at Carrington and signs back on in January.

We still need a DM (reading of Fabinho as a possibility) a CB (Lindelof or Keane) and a winger (talk of Perisic). If Sanchez is actually for sale I honestly wouldn't care if Woodward doubled whatever price anyone is offering. He's exactly what we've needed.

It seemed like the Griezmann deal was all but done until the court ruling sanctioned the transfer (incoming) ban on Athleti and Greizmann didn't want to leave his club high and dry. It seems like we have a drama transfer saga like this each year.

When you said Eder for City, did you mean the GK Ederson?

Bradley's wonder goal has to go into the Top 5 of US goals ever. Whenever I become hyper-critical of his play, he pulls off something like that.

A point at El Azteca feels like a win to me, especially after their fans booed our national anthem. I swear, Mexico's fans make the Turds looks like little angels in the no-class department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT