ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Were you pissed?

I was livid when Alexis came on.

I was pretty mad, I thought for sure Costa would take a stupid yellow. Fortunately nothing happened. TBH, I wouldn't have even dressed Costa. I understood the decision to dress him b/c if Chelsea fell behind probably would've needed him. However, considering we were comfortably up when he entered, I didn't understand it. Only had vets on the bench at that point, but could've gone with only subs in the game. Wouldn't have been the first time that's happened this year (although Conte usually doesn't like to keep subs in the pocket at the final whistle - not like they can carry over).

Just got done watching a few Alexis videos on Youtube...b/c I'm a fanboy, what can I say?

This one is hilarious. "Alexis Sanchez has no idea who Ilkay Gundogan is:

Bravo's response is great. He's almost dumbfounded. He's like, "No amigo...he played in Germany!" Hahaha

Speaking of The Arsenal, they drew an away match with Sutton United for their next FA Cup tie. What does it take for them to get a home game? Damn the luck.

Reactions: nole31906
Speaking of The Arsenal, they drew an away match with Sutton United for their next FA Cup tie. What does it take for them to get a home game? Damn the luck.

All the big sides got road draws this round. Also no all PL ties.

Burnley vs. Lincoln City

Fulham vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Blackburn Rovers vs. Manchester United

Sutton United vs. Arsenal

Middlesbrough United vs. Oxford United

Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Chelsea

Huddersfield Town vs. Manchester City

Millwall vs. Derby City or Leicester City (pending replay)

Dates and tv yet to be set.

Good for Sutton United's fans though.

I think I read that Sutton plays on turf. Will be interesting to see how Arsenal react to the pitch if that's true. I'm sure they'll adapt and will end up with a comfortable 4 or 5 goal win, but I'd also be worried that somebody is going to get a horrific injury (always hated watching MLS games on turf as I was always cringing whenever I saw someone go in for a hard tackle challenge as I'm always thinking that a cleat is going to get caught -> completely different than playing football IMO).

A loss at home to Watford = PITIFUL. They had a real chance this week to close the gap and put pressure on Chelsea. If Chelsea score another tonight and beat Pool the title race is over IMO.

Reading comments to various posts on Facebook and other sites, the #WengerOut crowd is out in force tonight. I am sure it will only get worse if they lose to Chelsea this weekend. Heck, if they don't beat Chelsea this weekend they are essentially out of the Title race (if not already) and their top 4 spot could be in serious jeopardy.

Losing at home to Watford when Chelsea dropped points...unacceptable.

The title race was alive and well and we essentially bowed out w/that performance.

True, we're not mathematically eliminated, but it just feels like we're out now.

Reactions: seminoleed
Watford. Freakin' Watford.

I'm about ready to become a Sutton United supporter. The grief I'm going to catch
from my students at school tomorrow is going to be unbearable.

Chelsea dominating Arsenal. Goons lucky to be down only 1-0. Can't get the ball to Alexis. Ozil just too slow at everything. Iwobi useless so far. Ox is running his ass off, to his credit. They look scatterbrained in defense on every Chelsea possession though.

Adios, Arsenal. How this team can consistently fail to get up for the big matches is beyond me, and surely is the death knell for Wenger.

Wenger out.

Ozil out. I'm f'ing sick of seeing him go anonymous against teams not named Ludogorets or Sunderland. He's the most overrated overhyped player in the world.

Looking like a great day for Chelsea. Hell City's holding on to a 1-0 lead over Pool @ 78'.

I'm seriously concerned there may not be a St. Totteringham's Day this year.

Could come down to how serious Spurs takes the Europa league. Can't ignore it early b/c if they say get 1 point in games that could be the difference from 2nd and 5th the way the PL is going this year. As a result they could need the Europa to get UCL football for next year.

At this stage of the year I think you can make a case for any of the teams from 2nd to 6th finishing in any order among those 5 spots. League may be out of reach but top 4 will surely go down to the last weekend of the season. Ditto relegation this year.

e31.jpg

Horrible. Embarrassing. Heads should roll....but won't.
I'd be fine if the "stars" on this team were benched and we played the youth
the rest of the year. We damn sure won't be playing in Europe next year anyway.

Christ, the Arsenal has achieved the impossible--they're worse than Hotpants.

Timing was bad for Napoli and Arsenal as well. If their games were on Tuesday, perhaps Real and Bayern may not have had the focus they did today. However, after PSG's smacking around of Barca on Tuesday, there was no chance that Real and Bayern weren't going to give 90 good mins. Both Arsenal and Napoli had 45 in them, but not 90 on Wednesday.

Who knew Laurent Koscielny was Paolo Maldini? As soon as he went off, we crumbled. I knew Gabriel was a step down, but I didn't see that coming.

Also, I want Ozil sold for whatever we can recoup of the £42.5 mil we overpaid for him. True he has a catchy song that I did post after he beat up Ludogorets, but I f'ing hate him. Get him out now. I'd rather see Ox moved into that position or Wilshere brought back on loan (to get injured after 2 games) to try and win that spot. Ozil is a lazy liability - period. I can't stand watching him slowly trot around out there like some short of prissy show pony.

Wenger out...obviously. He's lost the plot. Nothing more needs to be said. Once AW's gone, there is no manager alive who will tolerate the tight budget. They're going to want to spend. They're going to HAVE TO spend.

Which brings me to my next and final point...my real hope is that Stan Kroenke sees the writing on the wall too and sells the team to some Arab Sheik who doesn't care about maximizing profits. Let Silent Stan make a few hundred mil on the transaction and then be gone. Arsenal is in real danger of becoming Everton if they're not careful. They're getting left behind. Everyone can see it.

Kroenke needs to sell, and he will at some point. The question is when?
Wenger needs to leave after this season, otherwise I fear we will go through the same thing FSU fans went through when BB's days were winding down.

As for the sale, I read an article a while back about the richest man in Africa wanting to purchase the team, but not until 2020. Dangote is from Nigeria and is a billionaire, but is not ready to own the club (which sucks). Shortly after this article came out I had a chance to go to Nigeria and meet with him on an unrelated business opportunity, but I passed. Had I read this article first I would have gone and done my best to convince him to buy Kroenke out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...angote-plans-to-buy-arsenal-within-four-years

I don't think there would be any shortage of buyers if Kroenke was to hint he was looking to sell. Nigeria certainly won't be our only option, but I remember reading that article too. Who knows?

The other potential immediate buyer could still be Alisher Usimov, the Uzbek billionaire. He owns something like 30% of the team already and was trying to buy it outright when the Board elected to go w/Kroenke, b/c they (correctly) reasoned he would keep things more status quo. Usimov had David Dein, former Arsenal legendary Director of Football on his staff too, which a lot of Gooners loved at the time.

Anyway, if Kroenke doesn't sell all of this is moot.

No guarantee or even really a hint that he will sell. I just want him to b/c IMO he doesn't have title ambitions, instead he runs Arsenal as a business, just like the Board did before Stan was the majority shareholder.

The irony is that Kroenke married into the Walton family...so he basically HAS funny money. He doesn't need to make money off of his sports ventures.

It isn't so much that we think he will sell, more that we want him to sell. His goal is to make top 4 and the Champions League so he keeps that money flowing in. On the flip side he is only willing to spend what is needed to remain top 4, not make an actual run at a Championship...EPL or CL. Yes the FA Cup wins are nice, but IMO they are third tier to winning the league or the CL.

It isn't so much that we think he will sell, more that we want him to sell. His goal is to make top 4 and the Champions League so he keeps that money flowing in. On the flip side he is only willing to spend what is needed to remain top 4, not make an actual run at a Championship...EPL or CL. Yes the FA Cup wins are nice, but IMO they are third tier to winning the league or the CL.
Net worth
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
US$7.4 billion (December 2016)[2]

"On a ski trip to Aspen, Colorado, Kroenke met his future wife, Ann Walton, a Wal-Mart heiress. They married in 1974.[6] Already wealthy from real estate, he accrued significant additional wealth when he and Ann inherited a stake in Wal-Mart Stores Inc. upon the 1995 death of her father, James Walton. As of September 2015, that stake is worth $4.8 billion.[8]"

So apparently he was already a billionaire, but became an even bigger billionaire from the Walton $. Either way. I want him to sell!

Who knew Laurent Koscielny was Paolo Maldini? As soon as he went off, we crumbled. I knew Gabriel was a step down, but I didn't see that coming.

Also, I want Ozil sold for whatever we can recoup of the £42.5 mil we overpaid for him. True he has a catchy song that I did post after he beat up Ludogorets, but I f'ing hate him. Get him out now. I'd rather see Ox moved into that position or Wilshere brought back on loan (to get injured after 2 games) to try and win that spot. Ozil is a lazy liability - period. I can't stand watching him slowly trot around out there like some short of prissy show pony.

Wenger out...obviously. He's lost the plot. Nothing more needs to be said. Once AW's gone, there is no manager alive who will tolerate the tight budget. They're going to want to spend. They're going to HAVE TO spend.

Which brings me to my next and final point...my real hope is that Stan Kroenke sees the writing on the wall too and sells the team to some Arab Sheik who doesn't care about maximizing profits. Let Silent Stan make a few hundred mil on the transaction and then be gone. Arsenal is in real danger of becoming Everton if they're not careful. They're getting left behind. Everyone can see it.

I'm going to make a suggestion for Arsenal.

Move Sanchez to the #10 and play in behind Giroud (or another striker). In the summer, they can revisit their interest in Mahrez. Because of Ozil, whenever Arsenal bring on Giroud, they force Sanchez out wide. Moving him to the 10 hole would keep him in the middle of the park. Even though Sanchez isn't the best playmaker or perhaps a natural 10, having someone like Riyad Mahrez as a 7/11 would ease that need.

What a start to this weekend's FA Cup. LIncoln City becomes the first non-League team to make the final 8 since 1914, beating Burnley of the Prem, AT Burnley, 1-0.

And it wasn't a fluke; they flat out-played Burnley, who resorted to chippiness and dirty play towards the end. Burnley was lucky to finish with 11 on the field; Joey Barton should have seen red in the 2nd half.

Now....come on you Huddlestown! Love win the minnows win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT