ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Was just about to post how boring Man United/Celta Vigo was, but then Rashford goes and scores a beautiful free-kick.
I have no idea what Celta's keeper was doing there. I understand anticipating it going over the wall if Blind was going to take the shot, but once he walks over the ball should be looking to the open side not to continue to look to the wall side.

Was just about to post how boring Man United/Celta Vigo was, but then Rashford goes and scores a beautiful free-kick.

He's a really good young player. I hope Manchester United gives him a chance to be the main guy instead of going out and spending beaucoup money on some "star".

Tell me you guys saw Fraser Forster's save on Milner's PK earlier today.

Great theater ahead of the shot. It was super fun to watch.

Yes it was. And that guy is HUUUGE! Yao MIng-like huge. And held the Peasants to a draw.

Arsenal/United tie was dull, but a nice 2-0 win for the Gooners. Leaves them a little hope for a top 4 finish,
but they'll need some help ahead of them.

Whatever it takes to get him gone. Doesn't want to be there without complete power? Good, go to your beloved Monaco and see what they offer.

And sure enough, The Arsenal grab a needed 2-0 road win at Southampton, pulling into 5th, 3 points behind Citeh, and passing the despised Red Devils in the process. Still need a lot of help, but......

And sure enough, The Arsenal grab a needed 2-0 road win at Southampton, pulling into 5th, 3 points behind Citeh, and passing the despised Red Devils in the process. Still need a lot of help, but......
You guys go right on ahead and wear yourselves out...See you on the 27th. :D

Last edited:
You guys go right on ahead and wear yourselves out...See you on the 27th. :D
You're not kidding. Gotta win out, but might poop out all of our players in the process for the FA Cup Final.

On the flip side, if you can't get up for that match, assuming your healthy (which could be a big assumption), there's something wrong with you.

Am I the only one who thinks top 4 is decided this weekend? I'm saying City and Arsenal both win out. I think Liverpool will win it's final 2 games as well, but if they don't it's this weekend's fixture at West Ham that they stumble at. I don't think Boro will be up for it on the final Sunday of the campaign.

I also think relegation is decided this weekend. I think Palace beat Hull and Swansea beat Sunderland to conclude the relegation battle.

COYG!! Think positive thoughts. A last day clinching of 4th would be epic, given the crap this team has
done this year. Finish that off with another FA Cup, and supporters can smile a little...until they realize Wenger
is going nowhere.

I'm feeling a little negative after Celta Vigo missed their chance, literally and figuratively to knock Man United out.

Bums me out that they'll now probably go to the CL next year.

The longer Man United stay "down," the better.

Well, it wasn't easy, but Chelsea pulls off the victory against West Bromwich to clinch the Premier League title. Antonio Conte apparently has knowledge of this game and his own roster which borders on the otherworldly. When he substituted Batshuyai, I raised an eyebrow...and then he goes on to score the winning goal! Whatever Abramovich is paying Conte is not enough.

My son was just telling me he was reading on a soccer board he follows and Everton fans were positing the idea that since they can't make the Top 4, and relegation is already avoided, they should call up their youth team and tank the last 3 games, just to give the Peasants a chance to screw up in the end. Damn, rivalries are tough over there.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Congrats on the League, Chelsea fans. Great accomplishment and a great year for you guys.

Cheers!
Thanks. We did have the unfortunate advantage of not playing Europe games this season. We'll see how that works out next time.

OK, quick questions about Champions League since I have no idea what the answer is.

If ManU win Europa League this year, does that mean 5 EPL teams in CL next year? If so, how many have play-in playoffs to officially qualify for the group stage, is it still just 4th place or is it expanded to include 3rd place as well?

I also have no idea what the requirements are for Europa League next year. Is 5th automatically in the Group Stage & 6th & 7th have play-in ties? I keep hearing them say Everton is locked into 7th and European Football next year, but what does that mean?

It is depressing to think of Sanchez leaving Arsenal. Arsenal should offer him whatever amount of money he wants to stay and make him the captain.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Man U would drop in at the group stage and would be the 5th BPL team. 4th place would still have to play qualifying round.

I think.

Sevilla did precisely the same thing a couple of years ago.

Man U would drop in at the group stage and would be the 5th BPL team. 4th place would still have to play qualifying round.

I think.

Sevilla did precisely the same thing a couple of years ago.

This is correct. (emphasis is my own). It was last year for Sevilla as well as their win prevented Liverpool from gaining entry into the UCL.

Since co-efficients are pretty much irrelevant now (UEFA want to add more teams from the big 4 leagues of England, Spain, Germany and Italy), and since it's United vying for that 5th slot, I'll be rooting for Ajax (and Chelsea loanee Bertrand Traore). I enjoy conversing with the United fans on here, but in general my dislike of United won't allow me to root for them.

Last year I was cheering for Sevilla only b/c I was worried that Liverpool might target a couple of the same players Chelsea was going to this past summer.

For all the complaining United (and Mourinho) have done this talking about "so many games played" Chelsea played 69 in 2013 when we won the Europa League with NO AUTOMATIC ENTRY in the UCL so we still had to finish top 4 that year (finished 3rd).

At one point we played games in April or May with only 1 day off (Sat then Mon then Thursday).

After yesterday, I think our Top 4 hopes are squashed. A highly-motivated Liverpool are not going to drop points to a dejected, already-relegated Middlesbrough side.

And I never really thought we had a chance to catch City due to goal differential.

I suppose if we beat Sunderland 5-0, there's a SLIM chance to catch City, but realistically, our shot was with West Ham vs. 'Pewl.

After yesterday, I think our Top 4 hopes are squashed. A highly-motivated Liverpool are not going to drop points to a dejected, already-relegated Middlesbrough side.

And I never really thought we had a chance to catch City due to goal differential.

I suppose if we beat Sunderland 5-0, there's a SLIM chance to catch City, but realistically, our shot was with West Ham vs. 'Pewl.

Probably right. At least we won't have to worry about getting humiliated by Bayern Munich again.

And The Arsenal does what they have to do...win. 2-0 on a brace from Sanchez.
City doesn't help, though, as they prevailed over W. Brom.
So, it's kinda up to Pool. If they draw or lose (one can dream, no?) and The Arsenal win,
it's fourth place for the Gooners and UCL. Otherwise, if Pool loses and Arsenal draws, they lose
out on goal differential. I think that's all correct.

I am afraid Arsenal held it too late this year. But who knows? Go Middlesborough!

I am afraid Arsenal held it too late this year. But who knows? Go Middlesborough!

I agree (and I wrote as much a few days ago).

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if the indirect FK was taken from the correct spot and the wall was pushed back the requisite distance. I'm talking about Arsenal/Sunderland (if you guys didn't see it, I'm sure they're are highlights of the play out there).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT