ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone eat dinner at the UCC/6th floor last night? HORRIBLE

MobileAlNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2013
Ive been a UCC member for 2 years, and have eaten up there a lot, I have to say that was a horrible experience.

As always, I made reservations for 6pm, and we were one of the first 2 people to be sat outside. From 6pm, until 9pm, I managed to get 2 beers for myself, 1 for my wife, and we served ourselves dinner off the buffet. Our server would go AWOL for large blocks of time, which wasn't completely her fault because they started sitting people outside and the only two people working were the bartender and her, while they had tons of people outside. By 8pm or so, they finally shifted servers outside, but at that point it was too late.

Around 45 minutes with no drink service, I tracked my server down and she flat told me she could not keep up and it would be best if I got my beer from the bar. Well, I walked over there and stood for 10 minutes and watched the bartender serve people out of order. When I mentioned I had arrived before some of the other groups, he got pissy with me, so Ill be sending an note to the UCC over this.

I mean we pay to be members, to go up there and over-pay for food and drinks, if you want me to be honest, and then to see service like this. I hope this is not what the UCC will become by combining it with the Champ Club ticket holders, because that was piss poor.

All I heard all night was "we are understaffed and were not expecting this many people". Um, OK, it is UNC weekend and Parents Weekend, what did you think was gonna happen. Our server did not even bring us silver ware until we tracked her down to get that! I think they need to work on staffing, as well as training.

Reactions: noles3333
Sorry to hear that. I hope that will be an anomaly and that the UCC will act quickly on your feedback.

Yeah, I was shocked and so was my wife. We have ALWAYS had good service up there. I would chalk it up to growing pains, but the Grille has been open much longer than the Club, unless they are just still trying to gauge usage on Friday nights.

Yeah, I was shocked and so was my wife. We have ALWAYS had good service up there. I would chalk it up to growing pains, but the Grille has been open much longer than the Club, unless they are just still trying to gauge usage on Friday nights.

Roger that. I, like you, am surprised that the server mentioned their surprise regarding traffic. That seems crazy to me, considering the opponent this weekend as well as the fact that it's parents weekend.

Will be interesting to see how the club is staffed today for before, during, and after the game. I know my buddy and I are planning on a marathon today, starting with GT/scUm and concluding with Louisville/Clemson.

Roger that. I, like you, am surprised that the server mentioned their surprise regarding traffic. That seems crazy to me, considering the opponent this weekend as well as the fact that it's parents weekend.

Will be interesting to see how the club is staffed today for before, during, and after the game. I know my buddy and I are planning on a marathon today, starting with GT/scUm and concluding with Louisville/Clemson.

Yep. Maybe I'll see you in the sports bar at 1130 then. We are about to head to Madso.

A co-worker of mine who knows a lot of servers/bar tenders around town mentioned yesterday at lunch that a lot of them he knows worked the opening weekend and were not happy about it to say the least. Basically said they were screwed out of pay (tip money) and would never work the games again. He thought it had to do with the formula used to divide up the tip money, but wasn't sure. As busy as it was, as high as the prices were and those types factors, they were expecting good to great money for the day. The way it was explained to me, they didn't even receive okay money. What I took from the conversation was the good help is going to be hard to find and keep if they don't make some changes.

For every drink you buy, the tip is included, but you have the opportunity to add more. However, I read somewhere that when some restaurants convert to automatic tipping for all transactions, that tip money does not go 100% to the servers. The restaurant keeps a share of it. That is not unique to the UCC, if in fact that is happening. But clearly the patrons have no idea that this is happening.

All private clubs try to find a way to allow members to do everything without using cash. But members want to believe that the tips they pay go to the server who serves them. I know that many members of the club want to believe that the club attracts the best servers in town. And if that is not happening, then it has to be fixed. Poor service will destroy the value of any basket of amenities.

That's one hell of a tirade for one bad experience over the course of time. . .I would have waited until the second before I flambeaux them. Just my opinion. Hope you and your wife will start getting the service you deserve.

Go Noles!

A co-worker of mine who knows a lot of servers/bar tenders around town mentioned yesterday at lunch that a lot of them he knows worked the opening weekend and were not happy about it to say the least. Basically said they were screwed out of pay (tip money) and would never work the games again. He thought it had to do with the formula used to divide up the tip money, but wasn't sure. As busy as it was, as high as the prices were and those types factors, they were expecting good to great money for the day. The way it was explained to me, they didn't even receive okay money. What I took from the conversation was the good help is going to be hard to find and keep if they don't make some changes.

That sucks. At the CSU game I added $2 to every ticket we got (2 beers at a time) on top of what they already tacked on there.

That's one hell of a tirade for one bad experience over the course of time. . .I would have waited until the second before I flambeaux them. Just my opinion. Hope you and your wife will start getting the service you deserve.

Go Noles!
It was pretty bad. I mean we pay to be members. You should NEVER go an hour with no server coming to your table.

Anyways I'm over it. The beer is now flowing, Go Noles!

Disappointing. It always blows my mind when restaurants aren't able to predict when they will be slammed. In Tampa, Longoria has a sports bar called Duckys. We went there for Game 3 of the NHL East Conf Finals (Lightning playing). They seemed to have 3 servers for the entire place, it was maddening and everyone including the servers were frustrated.

That's absurd. I'm not a member, but when you pay a premium, you deserve friendly, prompt service in that setting.

Reactions: Garnet Hammer
That was not a tirade. I'm not a member as I live in NC. However if I was and had that experience I would want to vent with my fellow patrons. I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum, but it certainly is the target audience. I hope for all members this was a anomaly. To say they misjudged the attendance on a Friday evening before a conference foe rings hollow.

That was not a tirade. I'm not a member as I live in NC. However if I was and had that experience I would want to vent with my fellow patrons. I'm not sure this is the appropriate forum, but it certainly is the target audience. I hope for all members this was a anomaly. To say they misjudged the attendance on a Friday evening before a conference foe rings hollow.

Well, and I wanted to see if anyone felt the same. Maybe I just overreacted. It happens.

Don't know what is going on. I attended an annual event in one of their ballrooms. This is an annual event. It was absolutely horrible. From the getgo we were roasting - no air condition. The food was all served late and kind of understandable with such a large group but they knew all along how many would be there. It wasn't just the entree was served late but many tables were never even served any bread. We had a glass of water on our table at our place setting, it was never filled -- never offered anything else to drink, people were getting up and going and getting their own drink. There was much more but this is an indication of a little bit of what was experienced.

Isn't there a heavy student involvement in running the thing? Sadly, there is a huge standard deviation around the performance of modern kids. Many of them really don't understand, or care, that you are paying a premium for "extra" service. Even if kids are not heavily involved, I am sure it is hard to secure world class help for occasional gigs in a small town like Tally. Sadly, it is what it is.

Need some helmet-slamming to get their attention, maybe.

Reactions: noleone99
Normally I find a UCC/CC bartender I like, that gives great service and I tip them heavily, in cash, right off the bat. By the third quarter of the first game, my drink was being prepared as soon as I walked through the door. By the time I reached the bar, it was ready for me.

I have experienced some poor service at the UCC Grille, at times. But the accounting and management of the UCC has been the worst I have seen, anywhere. If there is a mistake on your account or your monthly membership dues where double charged for a month, good luck. There have been times that I have emailed Cherrie Barbree (membership director) 2-3 times and finally receive a response, from someone else. She is notorious for not returning calls and emails.

The OP experience is not uncommon, but I have experienced excellent service up there at times, as well. I'm not surprised at the story, but it's certainly a case of leadership by example up there. If you had an issue with the ticket office this season or before, I can tell you that as bad as the Ticket Office can be at times, no one holds a candle to poor service, than the UCC (management). Same scenario, its a monopoly, if you want season tickets at face value, you have to go through the ticket office. The tickets arrive, when the tickets arrive, take it or leave it. If you want to eat/drink inside the stadium, with a view of the field, the UCC/CC is what you have, poor service or not, take it or leave it. At the end of the day, they don't care if you get bad service, especially on a game weekend. If you don't want to deal with their poor service, they will be happy to give your table to the next group through the door. L.L. Bean's motto is the customer is always right and no sale is every final. That is certainly not the feeling at the grille and that's on the management, sad to say.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
This will be my last season as a UCC member. The service is simply not worth the cost. And now that the Champions Club is here, it's really bad. If you're not a CC member, there's no point to UCC membership anymore.

Reactions: Nole2K and fsu89
Sports bar on the 4th is cold right now, plenty of tvs and cold beer!

Lots of moving parts and misinformation regarding the CC..

I didnt understand all of the intricacies of the CC but I'll figure it out. There needs to be a Q&A developed by members to unserstand the timing and scope of our membership.

There also needs to be many more rockers on the 6th floor because they are the Bomb. I'm talking like 50 or 60 more!

Reactions: David Slaton

U basically should of be overstaffed for the 6-7 home games a year. Not gonna break the bank to pay a few extra people minimum wage for a few hours. However, it will cost you thousands when people stop renewing and demand used to replace the no renewers slacks up due to stories like this.

Reactions: mrcop2you
U basically should of be overstaffed for the 6-7 home games a year. Not gonna break the bank to pay a few extra people minimum wage for a few hours. However, it will cost you thousands when people stop renewing and demand used to replace the no renewers slacks up due to stories like this.

Probably difficult to find reasonably quality people to give up their weekends for a minor check 5 times a year. Finding good help in modern America is tough. Doubly tough in low-paying service industries.

Probably difficult to find reasonably quality people to give up their weekends for a minor check 5 times a year. Finding good help in modern America is tough. Doubly tough in low-paying service industries.
It definitely can.

Not sure exactly how it all works as I've never been, but yeah, being understaffed for something like that can definitely show and it ain't a good look either.

I'd think staffing something like this would be far easier than a normal restaurant (was it buffet?) however, particularly with the school of hospitality right there. Tons of students, looking to work in the industry... crazy to have that type of problem, more than once anyway.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole

Maybe, retail sales seem to do it every Christmas. I'm sure with tips they may at least a couple hundred. Plus no commitment. Staffing concessions is basically the same deal. A few times a year but even less money than being a server. When I was in school I would have loved a low commitment job only a few times a year to make a couple hundred. Plus the poster said they were "surprised" and therefore understaffed. That leads me to believe they thought they had adequate numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT