ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone live in Chicago?

NJNole88

All-ACC
Nov 4, 2013
I am being offered a job tomorrow in Chicago and it is a great opportunity for me. The only reason I am apprehensive is because I know that you need to be really careful about what neighborhood you live in and I don't know much about that except what you can find online.

I am expecting an offer of at least 80k and am hopeful it will actually be closer to 90k. Having lived off less than 50k a year for most of my 20s in NJ/CT/VA (I am now 28 and am in the 70s), it seems absurd to ask this but... can one live comfortably in a safe neighborhood making 80k in Chicago?

Any advice you guys can offer about what neighborhoods to look and what neighborhoods to avoid at all cost?

Hmmm, from Jersey to Chicago....how much wetwork does the new job entail?

Also "not for nothin" but I heard it from a semi-reliable source that Chicago "is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested)" and that it's a "disaster" where in "certain areas of Chicago, there’s tremendous gun violence. More than just about any place."

But I wouldn't worry, I've also heard the "Feds" are on their way to fix the third world, crime ridden cesspool that is Chicago.

Reactions: KevNole
Hmmm, from Jersey to Chicago....how much wetwork does the new job entail?

Also "not for nothin" but I heard it from a semi-reliable source that Chicago "is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested)" and that it's a "disaster" where in "certain areas of Chicago, there’s tremendous gun violence. More than just about any place."

But I wouldn't worry, I've also heard the "Feds" are on their way to fix the third world, crime ridden cesspool that is Chicago.

LOL you guys are killing me

Reactions: FSUTribe76

All of that is true, you heard correctly.

I am being offered a job tomorrow in Chicago and it is a great opportunity for me. The only reason I am apprehensive is because I know that you need to be really careful about what neighborhood you live in and I don't know much about that except what you can find online.

I am expecting an offer of at least 80k and am hopeful it will actually be closer to 90k. Having lived off less than 50k a year for most of my 20s in NJ/CT/VA (I am now 28 and am in the 70s), it seems absurd to ask this but... can one live comfortably in a safe neighborhood making 80k in Chicago?

Any advice you guys can offer about what neighborhoods to look and what neighborhoods to avoid at all cost?

Ok here is my 2 cents. You are single and making let's just say 85k. You should be able to live in most places in a nice place and still be able to put away 15%, have a nice vacation, wear nice clothes, have a social life etc. So here is what you do:

- Get a realtor to find you an apartment; even if the realtor cost you 2k, living in a cool place is worth it.
- It is not like you are moving from the back woods of Alabama to the big city, you have lived in NJ, CT and VA none of those places are cheap.
- Make a budget and live by it.
-Figure out the easiest way to use your time wisely. That may be getting a bike, going to the gym, showering and then going to work. Whatever makes your life the simplest and maximizes your productivity is the best path forward.
-Use the skills that got you where you are in business to figure out the best way to move forward on your move and be better off.
- I could say more, but it sounds like your freaked about going to Chicago because of the rep. it has. Sure Chicago is a rough place in certain places; but not where you should live. If you have an issue with Situational Awareness; then take some classes and learn what a predator is, what is a threat, how to handle the threat etc.
- Finally be happy you are making a ton of money for a single guy with no outside responsibilities.

Good luck

"Chicago" really runs from the Wisconsin border to Gary, IN. Are you talking Loop Chicago or one of the suburbs. I've never once worried about crime in Chicago, but I don't visit the neighborhoods (Englewood, Austin) with gun violence. There's comparatively little violent crime in The Loop (8 shootings in 2016, 2 homicides) and The Near North (31 shootings, 6 homicides), which is what most people think of when you say Chicago.

Reactions: NJNole88
Take the job and go!

Not sure where to live...that is a tough call if you don't want to commute in from the suburbs. There are plenty of nice suburbs from the west to the north.

I lived there in the late 80s in a corporate apartment with per diem etc. If you are single in your 20s or 30s, Lincoln park is the place to be. It was like college but everybody had jobs. You would probably need a couple of roommates to make it work. Lots of bars, restaurants and close the Lake Michigan, Wrigley Field and downtown.

Everybody is single or married without kids and is active.

I reread your post and see you are 28. I doubt you want to live in the burbs and spend 2+ hours per day commuting.

I lived here and would recommend it, but don't forget its been almost 30 years! It is just outside the loop caddy corner to the NW train station. There is a mall that connect the four buildings. They have restaurants, health club, grocery store, tanning salon...blah blah blah. You would never need to go outside if you didn't need to go to work. Studios are 1400 to 2K but I would prefer that to a 2 hour commute each day. You can walk to work. But still...for activity, Lincoln park is better. I remember lots of beach volleyball games on Oak Street Beach....but I refused to put my head under the water due to the smell of dead fish in the lake.

Chicago is like any other big city in the US. There are areas that are perfectly safe and areas you don't walk into after 9pm-11pm. People who came to visit me told me that Chicago is like New York, but cleaner.

You have great access to Ohare via the train from downtown in 30 minutes and can get to the hell out for anywhere on a quick weekend.

http://www.presidentialtowersapts.com/

Last edited:
[QUOTE="surfnole, post: 2831559, member: 2714"

Everybody is single of married without kids and is active.[/QUOTE]

bill-swerskis-super-fans-thanksgiving.png

Define active.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I loved living in Chicago. I was there from 2003 through 2008. Lived in Logan Square and Andersonville. First year I made 16,800. 2nd year = 28,000. Third year = 30,000. 4th = 55,000, 5th = 62,000. All were completely doable.

Lots of great nightlife for a single person. Great food and music/arts scene.

I'd do it.

I went to Chicago for the first time this summer with some FSU folks to celebrate a birthday. We were in different parts of the city including downtown, West Loop, Wicker Park, Wrigleyville, even all the way up to Edgewater area. Rode the "L" (chicago subway system) at all times.

For what it's worth, I didn't feel unsafe once. People were friendly wherever I went, I had a blast. Like any other major city, you have to have some common sense about what's going on, but overall it seems like a great place to live. (Can't comment on the weather part as we were there in August).

[QUOTE="surfnole, post: 2831559, member: 2714"

Everybody is single of married without kids and is active.

Define active.[/QUOTE]

DA BEARS! That's not the Lincoln Park demographic though>

I never understood the popularity of DA BEARS or the NFL until I lived there. The whole city is a huge party from Memorial day to Labor day and then the entire mood changes....and there is nothing to do on Sunday but watch sports.

Also, Chicago does not have women as attractive as those in the South.

I have never been to Chicago except the airport. I recommend not living there. :)

My brother did look at grad school in Chicago and was excited about it. But ended up in Logan, Utah.

Define active.

I never understood the popularity of DA BEARS or the NFL until I lived there. The whole city is a huge party from Memorial day to Labor day and then the entire mood changes....and there is nothing to do on Sunday but watch sports.

Also, Chicago does not have women as attractive as those in the South.[/QUOTE]

I disagree in the women issue. It's a big city with a lot of money and several universities. There are plenty of very attractive women. Compared to Southern California? Maybe not. Compared to - insert Hickville southern town here - advantage Chicago.

Also, Chicago does not have women as attractive as those in the South.

I disagree in the women issue. It's a big city with a lot of money and several universities. There are plenty of very attractive women. Compared to Southern California? Maybe not. Compared to - insert Hickville southern town here - advantage Chicago.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so. I was there in the late 80s, and all the women wore power suits with butch haircuts, and they looked as if they were posing as men. I was thinking more of Atlanta or Dallas than Hickville SC. At the younger ages, depending on how often they can get away with wearing sweaters, jeans and long coats instead of T-Tops and shorts determines how fit/physically attractive they will be. The difference was obvious when I walked around the FSU campus in spring and the University of Illinois in spring 30+ years ago.

I've lived in Chicago area since 2003. First of all, where to live would 100% depend on where the job is located. For example, the commute from Andersonville to the Loop would take longer than Oak Brook to the Loop.
Next, crime has gotten abundantly worse under Emanuel. I used to walk around Chicago at all hours and never think twice. That's not the case now. As another poster indicated, most of it is south and west sides but it has definitely infiltrated the tourist areas of Chicago.
Everything you do here will cost you more. The city is on the verge of bankruptcy and the state is even worse. Every day a new tax is being proposed and/or passed to make up for shortfalls. Today it was food and drugs. Last month it was cell phones, satellite TV, and gasoline. There is also a state income tax to consider.
I do not know of anywhere I would consider living that you could get an apartment for under $1500 that is worth living in. That said, 2brs are generally proportionately cheaper.
If you have a car, expect to pay another $150-300/mo just to park it at home.
That said, if your job would be in the loop, West Loop and South Loop are booming areas with lots of great nightlife and rental opportunities. (West loop and south Loop are nowhere near South and west sides).
Old Town is also amazing. South Lincoln Park is good but if you get too far north into LP or Lakeview, you are back to an hour plus commute into The Loop.

I personally wouldn't want to live in Chicago on $90k but that's just me.
If you provide specifics on where the job will be, I'm happy to help point you in a safe direction

well NCnole75 makes it sound like an amazing place to move to!!! Just 1 person's opinion, but still.

Lol. It's an amazing city to visit but I'm counting the days until the kids graduate so we can leave.

Thats fair, lots of great places to visit and not live. I'd never considered Chicago, winters too brutal and too big <both people, footprint and expenses>. But some like that.

Last edited:
One thing I remember about Chicago, it's difficult to get away without a flight. A 2-4 hour drive in any direction puts you in corn or wheat. Florida has many interesting places to go within a 2-4 hour drive of almost anywhere in the state.

I've lived in Chicago area since 2003. First of all, where to live would 100% depend on where the job is located. For example, the commute from Andersonville to the Loop would take longer than Oak Brook to the Loop.
Next, crime has gotten abundantly worse under Emanuel. I used to walk around Chicago at all hours and never think twice. That's not the case now. As another poster indicated, most of it is south and west sides but it has definitely infiltrated the tourist areas of Chicago.
Everything you do here will cost you more. The city is on the verge of bankruptcy and the state is even worse. Every day a new tax is being proposed and/or passed to make up for shortfalls. Today it was food and drugs. Last month it was cell phones, satellite TV, and gasoline. There is also a state income tax to consider.
I do not know of anywhere I would consider living that you could get an apartment for under $1500 that is worth living in. That said, 2brs are generally proportionately cheaper.
If you have a car, expect to pay another $150-300/mo just to park it at home.
That said, if your job would be in the loop, West Loop and South Loop are booming areas with lots of great nightlife and rental opportunities. (West loop and south Loop are nowhere near South and west sides).
Old Town is also amazing. South Lincoln Park is good but if you get to far north into LP or Lakeview, you are back to an hour plus commute into The Loop.

I personally wouldn't want to live in Chicago on $90k but that's just me.
If you provide specifics on where the job will be, I'm happy to help point you in a safe direction

NCNole, do you mind if I email you? If you don't mind, what email address can I reach you at?

Thank you!

my son lived there for four years recently in The Gold Coast. He paid 2,000 a month for a very small apartment. Great location, plenty to do but its an expensive, dirty place. I think it would be a cool place to live for a year or two, but that's about it.

my son lived there for four years recently in The Gold Coast. He paid 2,000 a month for a very small apartment. Great location, plenty to do but its an expensive, dirty place. I think it would be a cool place to live for a year or two, but that's about it.
There are a lot of things wrong with Chicago, but being dirty isn't one of them.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT