ADVERTISEMENT

Are you going to Church today? (Sunday)

Will you attend Church today? (Sunday)

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
HOw much purgatory do you reckon you'll be serving?
If there is such a thing I can't imagine. Maybe there will be some kind of offset system. You can take back something bad you did with a good deed. However, I think history has to play out before you can really know the impact of your actions.

I don't think anyone was using the crusades as proof of a fallacy within Christianity. Christianity is a belief system not a record of historical events. The crusades were carried out for a number of reasons and one of them was based on religion. Many wars have been fought with religion as the basic tenant. It doesn't make what you believe wrong, but you can't say that history is wrong either because it paints religion in a bad light. Nothing in this world is perfect and everything has flaws. As long as man is involved with it there will be problems.

I don't think anyone was using the crusades as proof of a fallacy within Christianity. Christianity is a belief system not a record of historical events.
Christianity is a belief system based on historical events. Not entirely, and not exclusively, but primarily based on historical events.

Some examples: The historical lives of Abraham, Jacob and his sons, Moses, various wars and periods of bondage and and oppression, and of course, the historical teachings of Jesus, his miracles, his crucifixion, and his resurrection, as well as the historical records of the lives of the disciples/apostles after the death of Jesus.

I agree to most of your response , but disagree that there are not historical facts that support Jesus and Christianity

Yes,people kill and seek to destroy everyday since after “ the fall”!
In the name of their god

Jesus said himself not everyone who claims to be a child of the one true living God Jehovah is in fact a believer!

In fact he’s either gonna say “ well done my good and faithful servant”, or “ be gone, I don’t know you”!

You know a true believer by their fruits, the fruits of the spirit!

Reactions: BrianNole777
Christianity is a belief system based on historical events. Not entirely, and not exclusively, but primarily based on historical events.

Some examples: The historical lives of Abraham, Jacob and his sons, Moses, various wars and periods of bondage and and oppression, and of course, the historical teachings of Jesus, his miracles, his crucifixion, and his resurrection, as well as the historical records of the lives of the disciples/apostles after the death of Jesus.
Based on historical events and a record of events are different things. The bible like any other text is a story based on a perspective. Those stories change over time and may or may not have any kind of scientific proof to accompany them. I'm not saying they are right, wrong or otherwise.

I agree to most of your response , but disagree that there are not historical facts that support Jesus and Christianity

Yes,people kill and seek to destroy everyday since after “ the fall”!
In the name of their god

Jesus said himself not everyone who claims to be a child of the one true living God Jehovah is in fact a believer!

In fact he’s either gonna say “ well done my good and faithful servant”, or “ be gone, I don’t know you”!

You know a true believer by their fruits, the fruits of the spirit!
How do you know that's what he will say if there is that time of reckoning? Maybe he sees what's truly in a person's heart not what outward deeds they have done or how many times they have prayed or gone to church. It's convenient to believe this but in truth no one really knows what will happen if anything. I could go to a life in California or get rewarded with 20 virgins. Anywhere on the spectrum of bad to glorious.

If there is such a thing I can't imagine. Maybe there will be some kind of offset system. You can take back something bad you did with a good deed. However, I think history has to play out before you can really know the impact of your actions.
I bought a few indulgences I’m good. Glad the pope decided to put that one back in circulation I guess the Vatican is having a little money crunch

How do you know that's what he will say if there is that time of reckoning? Maybe he sees what's truly in a person's heart not what outward deeds they have done or how many times they have prayed or gone to church. It's convenient to believe this but in truth no one really knows what will happen if anything. I could go to a life in California or get rewarded with 20 virgins. Anywhere on the spectrum of bad to glorious.

Scripture!
Not playing God, I only go by the Bible

Brian, I did not go to church to answer your question

I pray, I’m in the Word, and Jesus said “ where two or more are gathered in my name, he is there”!

I truly believe we are headed to small in home Bible studies and away from the big church, like the upper room

Anyway geddy I get my insight from the Bible

Faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the Word of God!

Scripture!

I pray, I’m in the Word, and Jesus said “ where two or more are gathered in my name, he is there”!

I truly believe we are headed to small in home Bible studies and away from the big church, like the upper room

Do you usually go to Church each week, Itch?

I worry that when Church attendance drops from 20% to lower America may soon crumble.

I worry that when Church attendance drops from 20% to lower America may soon crumble.

I do not attend a church at this time

I have reasons for not doing so

But I am in prayer daily, in the Word ( need to be more)
And I converse with believers and non believers about Jesus pretty much on a daily basis

I doubt there’s any correlation whatsoever. Some of the worst most hypocritical people I’ve ever known went to church every week and the opposite is also often true.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
I doubt there’s any correlation whatsoever. Some of the worst most hypocritical people I’ve ever known went to church every week and the opposite is also often true.

I mean supernatural...spiritual warfare.

The evil in the "air", so to speak, is palpable in America these days.

I think it's demonic as America turns from God. (Declining church attendance being a metric.)

This quote from a priest I know of:

"What is life? Life is a spiritual battle between good and evil,” and 'Which side do you want to be on?' is the vital question."

Last edited:
When did you stop?

Just curious.

Never stopped!

The church is within you

It’s all about the relationship between yourself and Jesus

The real church where life’s can be helped and people can be fed not not just physically but spiritually too lies outside the 4 walls

Going to church on a set time and day is okay for some but it is not the model Christ demonstrated

I could go on and on but not in this forum

One question I would ask is do you or others here help those in need personally or do you rely on the church to do so?

A lot I could get into but few are interested

Reactions: goldmom

I think it's demonic as America turns from God. (Declining church attendance being a metric.)

"What is life? Life is a spiritual battle between good and evil,” and 'Which side do you want to be on?' is the vital question."
The Catholic Church being the arbiter of good vs evil is funny when they were very recently embroiled in a scandal that made Sandusky and Penn St look quaint. How much child abuse did they cover up and quite frankly allow to happen? I’m agnostic but was raised catholic and I don’t miss going to church for one second. Maybe going to get donuts after church was cool.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Scripture!

So, the Bible actually says what God/Jesus will say at that time in every instance? Or maybe that's what's written to entice people to attend church, pray and more importantly give to the church. The Bible is still a book written by people who are inherently flawed so its not a stretch to think that it could be a marketing scheme. A scripture based on history with good intentions taken off mark by humans collecting money and power.

You can be on the side of good and not believe or go to church. Conversely, you could be on the side of evil and pray, go to church and believe.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
So, the Bible actually says what God/Jesus will say at that time in every instance? Or maybe that's what's written to entice people to attend church, pray and more importantly give to the church. The Bible is still a book written by people who are inherently flawed so its not a stretch to think that it could be a marketing scheme. A scripture based on history with good intentions taken off mark by humans collecting money and power.

Some believe, some don’t believe even to the point of crucifying an innocent man and horrifically killing his followers

Only because he spoke of peace, kindness and love!

There is good and evil

And for a time evil has power on this earth

Know this only God is good!

Believe, not believe that is your free will to accept or deny Christ

So I’m not gonna preach on here about what I believe or don’t believe about the Bible being the inspired Word of God!

But your correct man will corrupt, hate, seek and destroy under the guidance of the evil that has power on this earth, but only for awhile!

The Catholic Church being the arbiter of good vs evil is funny when they were very recently embroiled in a scandal that made Sandusky and Penn St look quaint. How much child abuse did they cover up and quite frankly allow to happen? I’m agnostic but was raised catholic and I don’t miss going to church for one second. Maybe going to get donuts after church was cool.

I understand your perspective. I was lapsed Catholic for 15 years myself.

A few thoughts:

Less than 5% of clergy were involved in abuse and the cover up. That's a lower rate than public school teachers. The Catholic Church reformed in 2002 and since then, there have been hardly any abuse cases. The abuse cases coming out now are mostly from 40 and 50 years ago before the 2002 reforms.

Obviously, child abuse goes against the Church's teachings and 95% of priests are good.

Don't leave Jesus because of Judas. :)

Compared to eternal life, Heaven and Hell, nothing else really matters in life. If we live in a state of grace, get the Eucharist and go to Confession, we are going to Heaven.

Meditate on that. :)

Last edited:
Never stopped!

The church is within you

It’s all about the relationship between yourself and Jesus

The real church where life’s can be helped and people can be fed not not just physically but spiritually too lies outside the 4 walls

Going to church on a set time and day is okay for some but it is not the model Christ demonstrated

I could go on and on but not in this forum

One question I would ask is do you or others here help those in need personally or do you rely on the church to do so?

A lot I could get into but few are interested

Jesus said we need a Church. Praying alone is good but Christians need a community of believers that meet weekly, IMO.

Matthew 18:17 :
If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Last edited:
I understand your perspective. I was lapsed Catholic for 15 years myself.

A few thoughts:

Less than 5% of clergy were involved in abuse and the cover up. That's a lower rate than public school teachers. The Catholic Church reformed in 2002 and since then, there have been hardly any abuse cases. The abuse cases coming out now are mostly from 40 and 50 years ago before the 2002 reforms.

Obviously, child abuse goes against the Church's teachings and 95% of priests are good.

Don't leave Jesus because of Judas. :)

Compared to eternal life, Heaven and Hell, nothing else really matters in life. If we live in a state of grace, get the Eucharist and go to Confession, we are going to Heaven.

Meditate on that. :)

Your numbers are likely a huge underestimate.

Jesus said we need a Church. Praying alone is good but Christians need a community of believers that meet weekly, IMO.

Matthew 18:17 :
If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

But are we meeting only because man says meet once a week?

Is it an automatic response we make only one day a week?

Paul says we are to pray constantly, never ceasing

My point you don’t have to go to a corporate church for it to be church!

Yes we should meet , fellowship, share and help each other and thus we go from milk to solid food in our spiritual growth

But, we need to get up off our asses, get outside the church and do individually what we are commanded to do

My disappointment with the corporate church is that they get so big they lose sight of the congregation and the needs of people both inside the building and outside

But are we meeting only because man says meet once a week?

Is it an automatic response we make only one day a week?

Paul says we are to pray constantly, never ceasing

My point you don’t have to go to a corporate church for it to be church!

Yes we should meet , fellowship, share and help each other and thus we go from milk to solid food in our spiritual growth

But, we need to get up off our asses, get outside the church and do individually what we are commanded to do

My disappointment with the corporate church is that they get so big they lose sight of the congregation and the needs of people both inside the building and outside

We can do all of the above. :)

One day a week is minimum, IMO. I go for the Sacraments...the Eucharist and Confession specifically.

Fellowship is great. Praying in groups is great.

There are churches on every block in America so everyone can find one that fits. :)

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT