ADVERTISEMENT

Auto Insurance Settlement—Get Car repaired, or get another car?

Spearchucker87

Starter
Sep 3, 2001
I have to fix or replace a 2009 Corolla. It’s mostly been a short haul, “around town” vehicle, with a few central Florida road trips mixed in a year. I’ve had it 5 years and put about 6,000 miles a year on it…..now it has 51,500 miles. Last Sunday a lady failed to put her car in gear when she parked and her Escalade rolled down a little incline and popped my left rear end, sliding my vehicle halfway into the next parking space to the right. The rear end damage was not extensive, but a pretty bad structural push in on the left rear and the trunk is off allignment. She has USAA, some kind of military insurance agency. I went to one of their approved local mechanics to get an estimate so I’d have their lifetime guarantee. He hadn’t finished working it up when I left Wednesday, but he thought the repair figure was going to top $5,000.

He didn’t call me as promised on Thursday, so I called USAA directly on Friday to find out my options. They’ve moved my case to their “Total Loss Adjustor”. They gave me options:

A) turn the title over to them, and get a cash settlement on a new vehicle of up to $10,043.25 (list price, plus they will also add on Florida sales tax, for total payment of $10,715.61 + title and liscense fees.

B) I can get paid for repairs of the Corolla up to $8,449.68. I’d like to keep a small inexpensive utility vehicle, so if I replaced it I’d still probably get a Civic or a Corolla (maintenance-wise, I’ve had the best results from them, and when I used to read consumer reports, they said the same thing about Honda and Toyota having the best records…….don’t know if it’s changed now). I’ll probably purchase in Tallahassee.

It’s strange that she even mentioned a repair figure that high. The mechanic must have been in contact with them. Unless when he found out how much they could pay, he raised his price. I left a message for him to confirm the estimate for me on Monday.

On option A, I forgot to ask them if I could identify a higher priced vehicle, say $12,000, and pay the difference out of pocket.

I paid zero attention to the local auto market the last 5 years. But when I got the 2009 Corolla in 2011, I think I paid $14 thousand something for it, total bill topping $15,000 cash. I’m confused about drive-off value deterioration vs true value. Do I have a chance of finding as valuable a Corolla sitting on the used car lot in Tally for $10,043, than the value my own 2009 one will have with 51,100 on the odometer?

I'm confused on why USAA would offer to pay me $10,715 as well as tag and title, if the repair could be done for $8,000. Let alone if it could be done for $5,000. But I haven't had to go through an auto claim in probably 30 years.

If they are going to give you $10k+ for your car(and title) why are you confused if you can buy a $12k car? After they take your title and give you $10k you can do whatever you want.

If they are going to give you $10k+ for your car(and title) why are you confused if you can buy a $12k car? After they take your title and give you $10k you can do whatever you want.

They didn't offer to give me 10K for my old car. They offered to pay for a new car that cost up to 10K, once I showed them the bill of sale. They didn't give me the option of getting a settlement and doing anything I liked with it.

Last edited:
Given those dollar amounts, I'm surprised they didn't just total your vehicle and cut you a check. You should be able to find a comparable vehicle for $10K if you're patient.

Reactions: dmm5157
Take a look online and see how much your car was worth.

If you didn't have a payment and you want to keep it that way, I'd pay to have it fixed.

If you were looking to get a new car and don't mind making a payment, take the cash and go get a 20k car for 10k etc.

They didn't offer to give me 10K for my old car. They offered to pay for a new car that cost up to 10K, once I showed them the bill of sale. They didn't give me the option of getting a settlement and doing anything I liked with it.

Are you sure that's right? Seems odd they would want to get tangled up in a new car purchase. I read Option A as a straight cash settlement and they were just describing how they arrived at the total number.

In Florida when an insurance company totals your car, they pay what it would cost to replace it. I totaled my wife's car several years ago and it had about $8000 in damages, we owed about $10,000 on it and they paid the loan off and cut us a check for about $2500.

How is that any of their business what you do with it and why would the amount they'd give depend on you buying something else? What if you don't want to replace the car at all? I'm not in insurance but from my experience they offer you an amount and you either take it or not. I just had an Allstate customer rear end my car in May and I had the choice of signing my title over and taking an amount or I could use it towards fixing the car. There was structural damage (and it was a 2002) so I signed the car over and used the payment towards a used car.

I'm not saying you're wrong or that they didn't tell you that but it just seems really odd that they would offer you different amounts for fixing it vs. totaling it.

Given those dollar amounts, I'm surprised they didn't just total your vehicle and cut you a check. You should be able to find a comparable vehicle for $10K if you're patient.

They apparently have some obligation to pay for car rental costs for a period of time once you give them your car. Maybe that's part of their calculus -- not wanting to leave it in your hands how many days of a rental car they end up reimbursing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT