ADVERTISEMENT

Best fried chicken in every state

Imtotallynottribe

Seminole Insider
Apr 6, 2018
https://www.nydailynews.com/feature...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

I have only eaten at 5 on the list and some of them (Yardbird and Husk) were uninspiring, but others (Willie Mae Scotch House mainly) were great.

My pick for best fried chicken in Florida is hands down Yoder’s in Sarasota. Buddy Freddys in Plant City and Shantell’s in Sanford are the only other two I would put substantially above the better chains like Maryland Fried, Krispy Krunchy Chicken and Golden Chick. I’ve had a lot of tremendously delicious fried chicken but most that stood out were in Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and especially Louisiana. But Yoder’s broasted Chicken is one of the best, ESPECIALLY for white meat. Like all logical thinking humans I prefer dark meat in my chicken as the white is usually dry and tasteless, but at Yoder’s it stays moist and plump.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
To save me time what do they have as the best in Florida?

There is a little restaurant in my hometown that is excellent. The owner was a cook at BuddyFreddys for many years before moving back here & opening her own place a few years ago. Not remotely fancy, but excellent food.

To save me time what do they have as the best in Florida?

There is a little restaurant in my hometown that is excellent. The owner was a cook at BuddyFreddys for many years before moving back here & opening her own place a few years ago. Not remotely fancy, but excellent food.

Yardbird in Miami. Which I didn’t really care for.

Really? Love that place. Possible because it is so different than the rest of Miami Beach food. Joe's is really good, but the flavors from Yardbird are awesome.

Maybe it was a combination of a bad day and not living up to the ridiculous hype levels (I think it won a James Beard award). Everywhere I’ve been that’s won a James Beard award has been amazing especially those that get “American Classic” designations like John’s Roast Pork in Philly and Frybread House in Phoenix. Yardbird was.....ok. Not mind blowing, just perfectly fine fried chicken.

Since it’s been awhile, I looked up a video on his technique and be basically just brines it in simple seasoning and then does a normal deep fry (for the demo in black iron skillet but in the restaurant in normal deep fryer). What I love about Yoder’s is that it’s broasted not fried (broasted is frying under intense pressure) and that really keeps the normally inedible (to me) white meat actually pretty tasty.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Tribe. Do your thing and be a hero for the day. List the 50 and don't make me click through the BS. Thats 1 easy way to ensure I don't read someone's content, I avoid those lists like the plague.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I went out for lunch the other day. Saw a Popeyes and instantly had a pavlovian response. Total impulse lunch and it was pretty tasty.

I don't know what the article says on the best fried chicken in Colorado, I expect its someplace in Denver, but I really like Al's in COS. http://alschickenandwaffles.net

I ate at Popeyes for dinner tonight because of reading this article.

For Colorado they picked

“Low Country Kitchen in Denver and Steamboat

As the name implies, Low Country Kitchen brings the cuisine of the South Carolina Low Country to Colorado, with plenty of other Southern specialties thrown in for good measure. Owners Katy and Brian Vaughn prepare just about everything on the menu from scratch, and their fried chicken is a work of art. It takes three hours to prepare from start to finish; organic chicken is brined for at least 24 hours and then marinated in buttermilk and Frank’s hot sauce for an additional two days before being battered and fried to order. Take a look around and you’ll notice that just about everybody orders the fried chicken here — and with good reason.”

Reactions: funksouljon
Tribe. Do your thing and be a hero for the day. List the 50 and don't make me click through the BS. Thats 1 easy way to ensure I don't read someone's content, I avoid those lists like the plague.

I tried to use a deslider and it didn’t work for some reason.

https://www.nydailynews.com/feature...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

I have only eaten at 5 on the list and some of them (Yardbird and Husk) were uninspiring, but others (Willie Mae Scotch House mainly) were great.

My pick for best fried chicken in Florida is hands down Yoder’s in Sarasota. Buddy Freddys in Plant City and Shantell’s in Sanford are the only other two I would put substantially above the better chains like Maryland Fried, Krispy Krunchy Chicken and Golden Chick. I’ve had a lot of tremendously delicious fried chicken but most that stood out were in Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and especially Louisiana. But Yoder’s broasted Chicken is one of the best, ESPECIALLY for white meat. Like all logical thinking humans I prefer dark meat in my chicken as the white is usually dry and tasteless, but at Yoder’s it stays moist and plump.
Shantell’s is pretty good. My 1st time there after being seated I waited so long to get my food that I had to take it to go. I’ve never been back but always hear rave reviews about the food.

Last edited:
Zaxby's just opened a new store by the interstate here in DeFuniak. Going by the crowds there every day, you'd think they invented fried chicken.
The same thing happened up here in Huntington, WV when a Bojangles opened.

Bojangles over Popeye's every day of the week. 4-piece thigh snack.

Zaxby's just opened a new store by the interstate here in DeFuniak. Going by the crowds there every day, you'd think they invented fried chicken.
Big Zax Snack tossed in Tongue Torch is legit...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I liked Yardbird a lot in Miami (I think there is one in Vegas now too). The only problem I had with it is it seems like too fancy of a place for fried chicken. My guess is most of the places on the list are "side of the road" hole in the wall type places and Yardbird is more of swanky place.

Weaver D's in Athens is the best fried chicken I have ever had. Its been years and I still remember it fondly.

In Tallahassee there was a Church's Fried Chicken next door to a Popeye's. Church's was always full and Popeye's was always empty. Just sayin...

I live in Tally, but last year, we were visiting in Orlando and then drove to Ft. Myers. On the way, we stopped in Wauchula and ate at a place called Nicholas's Family rest. Not only did they have the best fried chicken I think I have ever had, they had excellent home made onion rings. Man, I wish they were located here, or at least close by.

In Tally, I like Popeye's the best, but for the money, Publix is hard to beat, especially if you are feeding a big crowd.

BTW, for the old timers, who remembers Tucker's restaurant out on 4 points, and their all you can eat fried chicken served family style? Man, that was the place to go if you were hungry.

If you want good fried chicken at home do this. Place the chicken in buttermilk and soak over night in fridge. Drain, salt, pepper and dredge in flour put in hot grease. I fry in peanut oil. Most of the time my pepper is cayenne. We like hot chicken.

If you want good fried chicken at home do this. Place the chicken in buttermilk and soak over night in fridge. Drain, salt, pepper and dredge in flour put in hot grease. I fry in peanut oil. Most of the time my pepper is cayenne. We like hot chicken.

Try this - brine it for 24 hours in a lemon, thyme, bay leaf brine. Then soak in buttermilk. Add paprika to the flour and let coated chicken sit for 1 hour to let the coating set.

About 15 years ago, I was in Philadelphia, MS for a week for depositions. We had lunch at this restaurant, which was a home that turned into the town lunch spot. The best fried chicken, greens, mac n cheese. And you just paid by dropping your 5 or 6 bucks in a bowl. The best part was all these tall building lawyers wanting to get a receipt for their 6 dollar lunch.

Der Dutchman used to have incredible broasted chicken down here, but the last couple times I went there it had fallen off. Yoders is always good. I grew up on that stuff since my mother's side of the family are midwestern Dutch/German Mennonites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT