ADVERTISEMENT

Best sites for selling a vehicle

tolkien1

All-ACC
Gold Member
Mar 3, 2003
I just bought a new work truck and now need to sell the old one. Any opinions on the best websites for selling used vehicles: Cars.com, Autotrader.com, etc.? Thanks in advance.

I just bought a new work truck and now need to sell the old one. Any opinions on the best websites for selling used vehicles: Cars.com, Autotrader.com, etc.? Thanks in advance.

I used both of those sites last year and they were both good. The only issue I had was that dealers comb those sites. 80% of the contacts the first week were out of town dealers trying to lowball me. The second week an individual buyer paid full asking price.

Something you should consider when pricing, in addition to checking Kelley Blue Book private party value, is to take it to a Carmax for a free offer. They will make you an offer and you can get info from them as to potential issues that reduce the value. I added a few thousand to the Carmax offer and there was plenty of interest with several offers above the Carmax price before I got full asking price.

Reactions: Bud Fox
Depends on what it is. If you are sitting on a couple year old F250 diesel King Ranch the site is going to be a whole lot different than a 20 year old truck 'that runs'

Lower value stuff... craigslist. Higher value stuff, eBay motors, autotrader, cars.com

I've got a truck for sale right now too. I've just put it on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist so far. It's been a few weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry to sell it but I got my first serious offer today. A few thousand less than asking price. We're still in negotiations.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
How much is the vehicle worth? If it's less than $2,000 or so, your best bet is to take it to Carmax. Not worth an extra $100-200 to deal with all of the dealers, scammers and tire-kickers.

Oh and speaking of scammers, to cut down on them, I put in a warning stating that I would not make a deal online or over the phone and that payment would only be accepted at their bank or in cash at my bank. It seemed to be effective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT