ADVERTISEMENT

Better call Saul

I really enjoyed the last season. Didn't find the pace an issue.

Yep. I see this show ended with the first meeting with Walt, so am completely willing to have this be unrelated and just telling the story of Saul becoming a full on shyster <vs the street level scammer he was before>. Just watching the little meek caterpillar turn into a magnificent butterfly.

I knew Bob Odenkirk before as a cast member, but he really does a great job as a lead.

About half way through season 2 on Netflix. I was initially disappointed because I just finished Breaking Bad over the New Year's holiday and was expecting something similar. Now that I've given it some time, it's grown on me. Looking forward to getting, and staying, caught up.

Gustavo Fring will be folded into the story line and Slippin Jimmy becomes Saul Goodman.

Which is better Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul?
The answer of course is Breaking Bad. Better Call Saul is in its 2nd season and it is a prequel and it plays homage to BB. It is really good too, IMO. We know the ending....

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever on TV.

Reactions: Urban Cryer
Enjoyed S3E1. If you haven't watched entire BB series stop reading. Thought it was cool how they began the episode with the situation he ended in in BB. Armantrout's investigative work on the tracker was a good piece of writing, although I think it's pretty obvious who didn't want Mikey putting a bullet into Hector's dome during that time period.

Enjoyed S3E1. If you haven't watched entire BB series stop reading. Thought it was cool how they began the episode with the situation he ended in in BB. Armantrout's investigative work on the tracker was a good piece of writing, although I think it's pretty obvious who didn't want Mikey putting a bullet into Hector's dome during that time period.
I really cannot stand Jimmy's brother, but he is a great character on the show. It is amazing that Jimmy (Saul) had such an interesting life to be reduced to a pathetic manager at the Cinnabon.

I really cannot stand Jimmy's brother, but he is a great character on the show. It is amazing that Jimmy (Saul) had such an interesting life to be reduced to a pathetic manager at the Cinnabon.

Yeah, Chuck is a real piece of work with all his self-righteous indignation, he's actually a bigger piece of crap morally than Jimmy. That scene from from the final episode of S2 where he lies to Jimmy about their mother's dying words was just reprehensible.

Yeah, Chuck is a real piece of work with all his self-righteous indignation, he's actually a bigger piece of crap morally than Jimmy. That scene from from the final episode of S2 where he lies to Jimmy about their mother's dying words was just reprehensible.
Oh yea, I don't even have words for not saying a word about their mom to Jimmy. What do you think he will do with the recording? It is not admissible. He will definitely try and use it.

Oh yea, I don't even have words for not saying a word about their mom to Jimmy. What do you think he will do with the recording? It is not admissible. He will definitely try and use it.

He's already "used" it to plant a seed with the junior associate "Ernesto." He knows Ernesto is going to leak the tape's existence and contents to Jimmy. How Jimmy reacts will be interesting, but Chuck is once again messing with Jimmy's head.

Reactions: OrlandNole
He's already "used" it to plant a seed with the junior associate "Ernesto." He knows Ernesto is going to leak the tape's existence and contents to Jimmy. How Jimmy reacts will be interesting, but Chuck is once again messing with Jimmy's head.
I looked over at the Missus and told her the exact same thing.

On a side note, I just binged watched the first two seasons and now I have to endure the weekly wait for the next episode like every other ordinary schmoe.

Reactions: HulaNole
I looked over at the Missus and told her the exact same thing.

On a side note, I just binged watched the first two seasons and now I have to endure the weekly wait for the next episode like every other ordinary schmoe.
Personally I think the ability to binge watch shows really reduces commentary, discussion and to allow for the organic growth of a show.

Reactions: ggmike1992
I agree with what you said but I am always late to the party with shows like this and I had to binge to catch up. Only on season 3 of TWD and I want to be caught up by next season so I can actually read and participate in those threads. Binging has its pros and cons.

Run that by me once again...

Each season has started the first episode with shots of Saul/Jimmy working at a Cinnabon. In Breaking Bad, he had to flee and assume a fake identity as part of the fall out from Walter's drug business.

The "manager at a Cinnabon" was a comment Saul made in an episode of Breaking Bad, which was a bit of a nod to fans of the show. Lots of little easter eggs in BCS.

Reactions: squiffynole
Refresh my memory, what did Chuck say to Saul about their mother at the end of season 2?

Googled it and couldn't find it.

Refresh my memory, what did Chuck say to Saul about their mother at the end of season 2?

Googled it and couldn't find it.
When their mom dies, her last words were asking for Jimmy. He (Jimmy) had just left his mom's side to go get a bite to eat and left Chuck with her. Jimmy comes back to find out she died and Chuck denied that she had any final words.

I was hoping the auto salvage place Mike used to check for a tracker was going to be the same one from BB that was used to destroy the RV(with the same auto worker) and create the magnetic truck. Would've been a nice little gesture to BB.

I was hoping the auto salvage place Mike used to check for a tracker was going to be the same one from BB that was used to destroy the RV(with the same auto worker) and create the magnetic truck. Would've been a nice little gesture to BB.
Oh that would have been great!

So, two very long, no speaking scenes for Mike's stakeout of Los Pollos Hermanos, and Jimmy's surveillance of Gus's delivery boy. Didn't see Jimmy's reaction to the tape coming; went completely off the rails at Chuck, and fell right into Chuck's trap but in an unexpected way. It's good to see Gus's face again, in its entirety.

Two former Breaking Bad actors(Gus and Mike's right hand man) on episode 2. Possibly 3 with if the paralegal Jimmy hired is Saul's secretary from BB.

Couple of thoughts.

1. The Los Hermanos scene made me hungry.
2. Happy to see Gus make his appearance and the story is certainly looking to take off here. The episode definitely made me forget for a minute that I was watching BCS and had me flashing back to Breaking Bad.
3. Kim looks really good in Season 3.
4. I really hope Chuck dies this season. That guy is a complete effer.
5. That said in #4, Jimmy is an idiot.

Having re-watched some Season 3 of Breaking Bad recently, and it's hard to even imagine Jimmy and Saul are the same person, with as bad ass and confident as Saul Goodman was/is.

Great cycle currently for "regular station" TV shows. They all only produce about ten episodes/season but they are spectacular. Better Call Saul. The Americans. Fargo.

Couple of thoughts.

Having re-watched some Season 3 of Breaking Bad recently, and it's hard to even imagine Jimmy and Saul are the same person, with as bad ass and confident as Saul Goodman was/is.

I think that is what makes this series so intriguing is to see his transformation into Saul and what really causes that shift. Because Saul from BB was an unlikeable character (at first and for the most part), whereas Jimmy, is a really likeable character that you root for and has such depth

Couple of thoughts.
3. Kim looks really good in Season 3.
KWEX2_zpsxdyrsp3r.png

KWex1_zpskqufnhlc.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT