ADVERTISEMENT

Better call Saul

I think that is what makes this series so intriguing is to see his transformation into Saul and what really causes that shift. Because Saul from BB was an unlikeable character (at first and for the most part), whereas Jimmy, is a really likeable character that you root for and has such depth

I didn't see Saul as an unlikable character at all. And in reality, I actually find that Jimmy has progressed into less likable territory as the show has progressed. Early on he was trying to do the right thing. Now, he seems to go out of his way to do the wrong thing even when the right thing wouldn't take nearly as much effort (like that TV commercial with the fake disabled soldier).

I really liked the way Saul operated, he was sharp and, for the most part, did a good job at keeping his guys out of trouble. In the later seasons of BB, he started getting pulled out of his comfort zone for the money and then we see the frazzled and panicked Saul near the end of the show.

Reactions: SoddyNole
KWEX2_zpsxdyrsp3r.png

KWex1_zpskqufnhlc.jpg
Gosh she cleans up well.

Reactions: Bobcat07
I didn't see Saul as an unlikable character at all. And in reality, I actually find that Jimmy has progressed into less likable territory as the show has progressed. Early on he was trying to do the right thing. Now, he seems to go out of his way to do the wrong thing even when the right thing wouldn't take nearly as much effort (like that TV commercial with the fake disabled soldier).

I really liked the way Saul operated, he was sharp and, for the most part, did a good job at keeping his guys out of trouble. In the later seasons of BB, he started getting pulled out of his comfort zone for the money and then we see the frazzled and panicked Saul near the end of the show.

I guess unlikeable wasn't the best word to describe his character... I meant to imply that his character was, seemingly, less of a "good person" than Jimmy started off as.

Reactions: dmm5157
I do like Jimmy, as he is trying to be good. His brother is an ass and he, based on how he has treated Jimmy, is the reason for Jimmy saying screw it "let's just be a sleazy lawyer!"

So going from a con man to a lawyer made him less likable?

Talk about your profession slam. :D

And the obvious big question... why is he Saul Goodman and no longer Jimmy McGill... which looks more and more like this whole tape recorder incident has a lot to do with

So going from a con man to a lawyer made him less likable?

Talk about your profession slam. :D

LOL.

I see the progression of Jim McGill as 4 characters: Slipping Jimmy (con man), Jimmy McGill (struggling lawyer), Saul Goodman (successful but crooked lawyer) and Gene (manager at Cinnabon)

Slipping Jimmy is not likable. Early Jimmy McGill (the public defender) is noble, but you can see he's still tiptoeing with legality. First season was the whole money laundering client angle, and then he tried to do the right thing and take the job with Davis & Main. The levels he stooped in that season are where he starts his descent towards Saul Goodman. I'm guessing we see him complete the transformation this season. Or at least most of the transformation.

Saul Goodman really is a character that is perfectly fine working within his moral constraints. He has rules, but they aren't Chuck's rules. I guess that's what I respect about him: He's doing things his way, not trying to conform to someone else's way.

And the obvious big question... why is he Saul Goodman and no longer Jimmy McGill... which looks more and more like this whole tape recorder incident has a lot to do with
I'd like to know that as well. I will say that I re-watched BB and when they first meet, he says his name is really Jimmy.

Still enjoying the show, but too much filler. MST3K would be slagging this director for the time wasted.

I don't think Gus had any kids... to my understand it was implied (but not outwardly said) that Gus may have been gay.

It was indeed heavily implied that he was gay. I always figured Max was Gus's business partner and life partner. The revenge for his murder seemed more suitable for someone who had lost the love of their life.

Reactions: peezy28
binge watched seasons 1 & 2 of better call saul last week + this weekend.
good stuff!

very interesting to watch the metamorphosis into saul goodman.

It was indeed heavily implied that he was gay. I always figured Max was Gus's business partner and life partner. The revenge for his murder seemed more suitable for someone who had lost the love of their life.

I definitely felt they were lovers too... but I also don't think that could completely still rule out Gus having a kid. Ernie just has a lot of the same mannerisms that I notice, a skittish and non confident version though... aside from being named Gustavo and Ernesto.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed last night's episode. Finally Jimmy gives Chuck some well-deserved "go die alone" smack talk. It occurs to me that the break up with Kim, however that's going to happen, is going to be devastating emotionally to Jimmy. He must really do something outrageous, because she is standing right by him through thick and thin, including the fraudulent scheme that landed her the Mesa Verde client and the currently pending felony charge and potential disbarment. The ending scene and dialogue was a bit ambiguous though. It sounds like they are going to elect to reject the pretrial diversion and Kim's going to represent Jimmy in the felony B&E trial, which could get all kinds of weird.

Mike is proving to be a really clever dude; the rifle shots to create impression of hunters in the area - so when the shot to sprinkle the bag on the truck was made they would not be alerted and stop to see what's going on - was a good bit of writing there.

Really enjoyed last night's episode. Finally Jimmy gives Chuck some well-deserved "go die alone" smack talk. It occurs to me that the break up with Kim, however that's going to happen, is going to be devastating emotionally to Jimmy. He must really do something outrageous, because she is standing right by him through thick and thin, including the fraudulent scheme that landed her the Mesa Verde client and the currently pending felony charge and potential disbarment. The ending scene and dialogue was a bit ambiguous though. It sounds like they are going to elect to reject the pretrial diversion and Kim's going to represent Jimmy in the felony B&E trial, which could get all kinds of weird.

Mike is proving to be a really clever dude; the rifle shots to create impression of hunters in the area - so when the shot to sprinkle the bag on the truck was made they would not be alerted and stop to see what's going on - was a good bit of writing there.

Agree on the writing. I really had no idea what the hell was going on for a while.

As for Kim...I hope it is just a breakup. I just hope the it's not something worse. Don't want to see her end up dead.

Agree on the writing. I really had no idea what the hell was going on for a while.

As for Kim...I hope it is just a breakup. I just hope the it's not something worse. Don't want to see her end up dead.

I was confused too with what was going on until he shot the sneaker and the drugs fell on the car, very clever lol.

I suspect Chuck gets Kim disbarred. Who would have known "Lenny" from Laverne & Shirley would end up such a bastard.

I was confused too with what was going on until he shot the sneaker and the drugs fell on the car, very clever lol.
Unreal shot. First of all to throw the sneakers on to the powerline directly above the car, then to not only hit a shoe swinging in the wind, but nail the correct shoe at the exact right time.

Mike shoulda been getting paid way more.

Did anyone else connect, at the end, that the beginning scene was a flash forward many years... probably to the BB era timeline? Didn't even dawn on me until I was listening to a podcast and they pointed out that the old dirty shoe that fell in the beginning is the one Mike threw up there later, but just many years later... and signifying the change of guard and how Gus had used Hector's system.

I just figured it was another shoe to show us the stops that go on there.

Did anyone else connect, at the end, that the beginning scene was a flash forward many years... probably to the BB era timeline? Didn't even dawn on me until I was listening to a podcast and they pointed out that the old dirty shoe that fell in the beginning is the one Mike threw up there later, but just many years later... and signifying the change of guard and how Gus had used Hector's system.

Good catch, makes sense.
Quite the well done series!

Yep, same shoes, same gunshot hole in right toe.

Last night's episode was great with both filming and dialogue. The opening scene with the stop sign and same sneakers hanging off the wire. The scenes with Kim waking up and going to the gym getting ready for work. Jimmy and the other DA talking.

Damn I really cannot stand Jimmy's brother. All he wanted was for Jimmy not to be a lawyer any longer.

So why did Jimmy have Mike break into Chuck's house and take those pictures? I know there's an angle here but I'm not seeing it.

So why did Jimmy have Mike break into Chuck's house and take those pictures? I know there's an angle here but I'm not seeing it.

That is what I like best about this show. The writers end up coming up with something pretty clever. Maybe Jimmy is going to reveal to the bar how sick Chuck is and take him down or have him institutionalized.

Reactions: ggmike1992
That is what I like best about this show. The writers end up coming up with something pretty clever. Maybe Jimmy is going to reveal to the bar how sick Chuck is and take him down or have him institutionalized.

I think this season ends up with someone dying, probably Chuck. Maybe heart attack or some kind of attack during the hearing or maybe his house burns down in accident stemming from that latern.

Jimmy can have the state put chuck in his care using those photos.

"Chuck is a danger to himself, etc..."

Maybe just a negotiating tool

Seems jimmy wanted Kim to get Chuck to admit there's another copy, not sure if that convo was on tape, as apparently bar hearings regard surreptitious recordings admissible. Not sure what difference it would make tho

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT