ADVERTISEMENT

Better call Saul

I never understood why Howard put up with crazy ass Chuck. In law he had a much big heart than he should have.

From what Gilligan said in a podcast, BCS starts in 1999... and BB timeline starts in, what, 2006 or 2007?

Currently, we are in 2000-2001 in BCS (can't remember what Gilligan said exactly about the disbarment hearing... but 2001 at the latest. So there would have to be a massive jump to cross into BB. We may see cameos of Walt as a chemistry teacher at most.

From what Gilligan said in a podcast, BCS starts in 1999... and BB timeline starts in, what, 2006 or 2007?

Currently, we are in 2000-2001 in BCS (can't remember what Gilligan said exactly about the disbarment hearing... but 2001 at the latest. So there would have to be a massive jump to cross into BB. We may see cameos of Walt as a chemistry teacher at most.

Thought a few posts back they said we're in 2002-2003, based on the bottle of Macallen.

Not sure how it works out, but Gilligan has eluded to 2001... so I guess it has to be 2002 at the latest. Although, they have been known to make timeline goofs even through BB, despite how flawless they typically are.

Not sure how it works out, but Gilligan has eluded to 2001... so I guess it has to be 2002 at the latest. Although, they have been known to make timeline goofs even through BB, despite how flawless they typically are.

Another one, that guy that Mike was body guard for with the yellow H2 ... Hummer didn't start making H2 until 2002. That's about as flamboyant and obvious a timeline as possible.

Found this as I was looking up when H2 was released. This would match the 2002 timeline, along with the Macallen.

http://www.indiewire.com/2014/07/up...-year-2002-6-years-before-breaking-bad-24359/

The article above states first season began in 2002, but article above was written in before show premiered. No idea where we are now, time-wise, with season 3.

Reactions: BarryB1081
He's not disbarred, just suspended from practicing law for a year. The Cinnabon he ends up working at in BB after buying his escape from death was in Omaha, NE, IIRC. No, I wouldn't guess the prequel would go longer than BB in number of seasons.
I thought that Saul was escaping arrest/incarceration. Who was going to kill him? Walter? I don't think so. Remember they were "bunkmates" for a while with the relocation guy before Walter moved to New Hampshire. However, Hewell was singing like a canary, only a matter of time before Saul was picked up by DEA.

I thought that Saul was escaping arrest/incarceration. Who was going to kill him? Walter? I don't think so. Remember they were "bunkmates" for a while with the relocation guy before Walter moved to New Hampshire. However, Hewell was singing like a canary, only a matter of time before Saul was picked up by DEA.

I always took it as escaping for safety/health reasons. Remember, the finale is the final shootout with Walter. Saul left before Walter finished the crew off. And that was just one part of the crew, could have been more. The urgency for Saul to get extracted seemed much more accelerated due to life safety than just legal.

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-happene...g-bad-recap-better-call-saul-premiere-1808330

Looks like Saul isn't quite done with Chuck just yet. At first I thought he was just re-channeling his inner Slipping Jimmy to try and get his insurance refund but then he saw the angle that he could work over his brother so more. I thought it was just a so-so episode but that sly smile on his face when he was leaving the insurance lady's office was classic Saul.

Reactions: Cubman777
Great schene, I realized what he was doing near the end and giggled to my wife about it. Nice work Saul.

So it appears that Hectors stroke may come at the doing of Nacho. I'm now curious how Nacho's story plays out since he does not appear in BB.

Reactions: Cubman777
Looks like Saul isn't quite done with Chuck just yet. At first I thought he was just re-channeling his inner Slipping Jimmy to try and get his insurance refund but then he saw the angle that he could work over his brother so more. I thought it was just a so-so episode but that sly smile on his face when he was leaving the insurance lady's office was classic Saul.

Fully agree. I think that as a result of Jimmy's actions, Chuck will be driven over the edge. It will be something that Kim can't forgive, and something that will haunt Jimmy forever.

Great schene, I realized what he was doing near the end and giggled to my wife about it. Nice work Saul.

So it appears that Hectors stroke may come at the doing of Nacho. I'm now curious how Nacho's story plays out since he does not appear in BB.

My guess.... the twins get Nacho

I think you guys are correct. I think that Hector will suffer the stroke because of Nacho's actions, but I think that Mike will actually be the one who kills Nacho. I think this because Nacho will screw up the assassination attempt and it is possible that Mike could be implicated since he knew of Nacho's plan and didn't stop him or alert Gus. Thus, he has to kill him. Something that will haunt him.

Reactions: peezy28
Fully agree. I think that as a result of Jimmy's actions, Chuck will be driven over the edge. It will be something that Kim can't forgive, and something that will haunt Jimmy forever.

I think you guys are correct. I think that Hector will suffer the stroke because of Nacho's actions, but I think that Mike will actually be the one who kills Nacho. I think this because Nacho will screw up the assassination attempt and it is possible that Mike could be implicated since he knew of Nacho's plan and didn't stop him or alert Gus. Thus, he has to kill him. Something that will haunt him.

I think you might be right about MIke... My idea of the twins getting Nacho would be exciting but far too basic for a show like this... The deep and intricate thing would be for Mike to have to kill him to save himself and his family... A kid he actually kinda likes and has tried to help.

Great show and even better charectars, my only grip is that the plot moves a little slow. I feel like there is always a lot of build up, but no pay off.

And expectations are set at BB level, so not particularly fair to the writers. Imo, the end of every episode of B.B. felt like a season finale. Was hoping to get something similar with BCS.

Regardless, BCS is one if the best shows on TV right now.

What struck me as a possibility was that Mike might kill Nacho in self-defense. The whole time Mike is asking questions about the scheme to kill Hector, and Nacho giving him the details, I kept thinking Nacho is going to kill all others with knowledge of his plan. He does this to protect himself and his family / father, who he's already willing to kill for.

Last few episodes have been kind of slow and there's only one episode left this season. Got a lot of different storylines to wrap up (Kim, Nacho, Sandpiper, Hamlin and McGill, Gus and Salamanca, Mike) Anybody with any predictions?

Last few episodes have been kind of slow and there's only one episode left this season. Got a lot of different storylines to wrap up (Kim, Nacho, Sandpiper, Hamlin and McGill, Gus and Salamanca, Mike) Anybody with any predictions?

Kim loses the oil deal and blames Jimmy, causing their split. Nacho causes the Salamanca stroke, but gets caught. Gus orders Mike to kill Nacho.

Not really sure where things will go with HHM. Maybe they settle Sandpiper, Chuck finds some loophole to get Jimmy more of the share as he realizes he has treated him bad for a long time.

I thought Jimmy went to a whole new level in scumbaggery with the way he set up the named class representative old lady trying to get her to authorize / direct settlement. It really demonstrated that this guy will do just about anything out of self preservation and was a clear drop into the Saul Goodman mindset. I liked the "Crazy 8" store sign in the mall in the background while Jimmy's mall walking. I found it a little hard to believe that Mike would launder his 200k through Madrigal and Stevia chick, providing copies of his SSN card and DL? Seems really out of character for him. Not sure how Kim could blame Jimmy for her running off the road. I guess Hector made it through his heart issue with the placebo effect since Nacho had made the switch; may take a couple other untreated episodes to do the trick. From a legal standpoint, Jimmy is under a 12 month suspension. Pretty sure he can't touch any settlement money allocated to attorney's fees. He is technically, a "non attorney" and it would be an ethical violation (at least in Florida) to cut him a check right now.

Reactions: dmm5157
I agree the scumbag level that Jimmy is stooping to this season (particularly this episode) is pretty bad. Before, he was using the elderly for a little cash flow but not totally taking advantage of them. Now, he's completely manipulating them to his primary benefit.

I find myself wanting more Mike screen time than Jimmy with each passing episode.

I've been DVRing this season and not yet watched an episode. Overall, how have folks liked it?

I have been late to both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Since BB is fresh in my mind (and was so spectacular), I have been unfairly comparing BCS to it. BCS stands on its own as a good drama with a taste of BB (BB-lite, if you will).

Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould remain consistent in their theme of loss of principles and virtue due to money. We should know by now that Jimmy will quickly shed his sympathetic role and take on the arc of a villain and yet last weeks show was still a surprise. All this wealth leads these characters to an unsatisfying depressing existence or dead. While a big fan of how they make these shows these two writers could really use a good character (someone we can pull for) somewhere in the story that survives their writing.

Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould remain consistent in their theme of loss of principles and virtue due to money. We should know by now that Jimmy will quickly shed his sympathetic role and take on the arc of a villain and yet last weeks show was still a surprise. All this wealth leads these characters to an unsatisfying depressing existence or dead. While a big fan of how they make these shows these two writers could really use a good character (someone we can pull for) somewhere in the story that survives their writing.
I don't think the subject matter lends itself to good characters, hence all the unsatisfaction and death. However, I do think it was easy to pull for Jesse most of the time. As much as he got s**t on during BB I found myself smiling for him during the finale.

I don't think the subject matter lends itself to good characters, hence all the unsatisfaction and death. However, I do think it was easy to pull for Jesse most of the time. As much as he got s**t on during BB I found myself smiling for him during the finale.

Interesting. I felt the least sympathy for him (Jesse Pinkman). One of my least favorite BB characters, overall.

You're not alone. I hated Jesse.

I mean I rooted for him at the very end, but that's not exactly saying much.

Same, with regards to the end. But up until the end, hated his selfishness and pettiness. I couldn't associated with the drug addict personality in him. Very self destructive.

Everyone in the show is flawed, has their own demons, short-comings, etc, but his never connected with me.

I was originally thinking that Jimmy would get disbarred but i don't think that's the case now. He's got too much presence in Albuquerque with the TV commercials to be disbarred and re-appear as Saul Goodman without anyone noticing.

Guessing that Chuck dies, Kim losing Mesa Verde and maybe she herself gets disbarred for some reason, Saul is left alone to pick up the pieces and changes his name to distance himself from the past.

Welp ... guess we'll have to wait and see what Season 4 holds for us.

Kim's butt in the pajamas was the highlight!

So we find out how Salamanca strokes out, Fring really rustles him something fierce.

Chuck was ice cold when he told Jimmy he never really cared for him. Last straw on his back and he finally snapped for good.

What was Jimmy's deal with getting the old ladies to turn against him, didnt really catch the whole scene. Did he feel bad about getting the women to turn against each other and wanted to make things right?

So we find out how Salamanca strokes out, Fring really rustles him something fierce.

Chuck was ice cold when he told Jimmy he never really cared for him. Last straw on his back and he finally snapped for good.

What was Jimmy's deal with getting the old ladies to turn against him, didnt really catch the whole scene. Did he feel bad about getting the women to turn against each other and wanted to make things right?

1. Yes, Kim in those Pj's was amazing.

2. Yes, Jimmy actually let his guilt get to him.

Pretty good finale.

Reactions: ericram
Was underwhelmed myself. Way too much of the Chuck story for my taste, especially considering it was a season finale. It seemed like filler that could have been told throughout the season. I realize this is a drama series but would it hurt to throw in a little more action from time to time. No appearance from Mike. I'm anxious to see how he finally comes to work for Gus.

Reactions: fsUTampa and DanC78
I enjoyed the season and the season finale. It told a fantastic arc story. The scenes with Don Hector and Nacho were great. Chuck was such an ass, and I am glad he lost everything, snapped and finally checked out.

Jimmy stooped to a new low. Wow, but he did find redemption at the end and it cost him everything.

So did Kim lose both jobs?

I enjoyed the season and the season finale. It told a fantastic arc story. The scenes with Don Hector and Nacho were great. Chuck was such an ass, and I am glad he lost everything, snapped and finally checked out.

Jimmy stooped to a new low. Wow, but he did find redemption at the end and it cost him everything.

So did Kim lose both jobs?

I felt like the finale was a tremendous parallel between Jimmy and Chuck. The scene with Chuck reading to Jimmy as a kid was a reminder of simpler years. While they seemed so terribly different, in the end Chuck and Jimmy behaved quite the same in the finale.

With Jimmy, he pushed away all the relationships and trust that he'd worked so tirelessly to build all because of his guilt. He burned his "empire" to the ground, all the good will and effort that he may have accumulated over his years at Sand Piper were gone in an instant.

With Chuck, he pushed away the last person that cared about him (outside of his ex-wife but he'd already pushed her away). Then he literally burned his house (and himself) to the ground.

Both brothers preferred to distance themselves from the reality of their actions and personal responsibilities, rather than face them head-on. The McGill brothers weren't so different after all. And, as we are led to infer, Jimmy McGill may die along with Chuck McGill, if in name only. We'll see the beginning of Saul Goodman very soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleclone2
I'm thinking the fallout from Sandpiper will lead Jimmy to become Saul Goodman. Interested to see if Chuck cashed the check from Howard and would that fall to Jimmy.

I felt like the finale was a tremendous parallel between Jimmy and Chuck. The scene with Chuck reading to Jimmy as a kid was a reminder of simpler years. While they seemed so terribly different, in the end Chuck and Jimmy behaved quite the same in the finale.

With Jimmy, he pushed away all the relationships and trust that he'd worked so tirelessly to build all because of his guilt. He burned his "empire" to the ground, all the good will and effort that he may have accumulated over his years at Sand Piper were gone in an instant.

With Chuck, he pushed away the last person that cared about him (outside of his ex-wife but he'd already pushed her away). Then he literally burned his house (and himself) to the ground.

Both brothers preferred to distance themselves from the reality of their actions and personal responsibilities, rather than face them head-on. The McGill brothers weren't so different after all. And, as we are lead to infer, Jimmy McGill may die along with Chuck McGill, if in name only. We'll see the beginning of Saul Goodman very soon.
This really is a great description of the episode and the dynamics of Jimmy and Chuck. This episode was the perfect set up to the evolution of Jimmy's transformation to Saul.
I am very interested to find out what happens between Kim and Jimmy. Also, with Don Hector now pretty much out of the picture, what happens to Nacho and with the rise of Fring.

videotogif_2017.06.20_11.18.15.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT