ADVERTISEMENT

Book Recommendations

Florida: what was and what is -

61o5KgZrwiL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51wIbpNzNsL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

417NROh90rL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Barefoot Mailman by Theodore Pratt

Reactions: squiffynole
Interesting thread. I graduated from FSU in 1968, so I have had a lot more time to read than many of you. :) So many great authors, books, and series out there. Clancy, Flynn, Child, Baldacci, DeMille, Koontz, Ludlum, Grishman, Patterson, and one of my favorites Clyde Cussler with his numerous series. The best read I have had recently is Spygate by Dan Bongino. It is truly an interesting book about recent and current affairs.

If you are into sci fi\alternate history stuff I highly recommend the Emberverse series by S.M Stirling. And if you haven't read it, Dune is the greatest sci fi novel of all time. I am also partial to the classics. The Count of Monte Cristo being my favorite
As far as sci fi goes, Dune is great but my favorite is Stranger in a Strange Land.

I'd like to read/listen to as many books as possible in 2019. Looking for some recommendations.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
History/Politics/Military
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!
11th month, 11th day, 11th hour, Persico ... fascinating read on the end of WWI

Rebel Yell ...bio of Stonewall Jackson, a great read

How Far from Austerlitz? Napoleon 1805-1815, Horne ....anything by Horne

Reactions: morgandmd
CJ isn't as widely known but his Western themed books are highly popular in of all places France! I've never been to France but I've been to the part of the West he writes about and I love his books.
I've also enjoyed RWW' books and have been to his Sanibel restaurant.
If you're fond of that kind of character based fiction, try John Sandford. His Minnesota based LEO guys are great.
Have you ever tried Peter Bowen? His Gabriel DuPre series is great.

51LyIMnRk9L._AC_US218_.jpg

I couldn't resist adding this one. The Transistor was invented at Bell Labs in 1947. The achievements of Bell Labs in the 20th century were mind blowing. Totally.

The Intelligent Investor? Ambitious start. Common Sense on Mutual Funds is the best investment book I ever read, though there are quite a few. John Bogle, it's author, is on your side, and is a totally brilliant man. He invented the index fund. Also, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, now in it's 12th edition. It's author, Burton Malkiel, is Professor Emeritus of Economics at Princeton. He's on your side, too.

Last edited:
Stephen Ambrose is a treasure trove of titles

Supreme Commander (Eisenhower)

The Wild Blue (true story of WWII pilot George McGovern)

D Day

I really enjoy many of the spy-type books mentioned by others.
Stephen Ambrose wrote some outstanding books - two of his best in my opinion were Band of Brothers and Undaunted Courage (a book about the Lewis and Clark expedition).
If you're open to foreign crime novels, Jo Nesbo has a series based in Norway and Torquel MacLeod has a series of Swedish detective novels beginning with Murder in Malmo that are excellent.

So far I've read The Intelligent Investor (Benjamin Graham), 6 Months to 6 Figures (Peter Voogd), and will soon finish another in the Rich Dad line called Cashflow Quadrant.

I have a long list to get after this year. I really do appreciate all the recommendations. You guys are awesome.

So far I've read The Intelligent Investor (Benjamin Graham), 6 Months to 6 Figures (Peter Voogd), and will soon finish another in the Rich Dad line called Cashflow Quadrant.

I have a long list to get after this year. I really do appreciate all the recommendations. You guys are awesome.
I’d be careful reading so much. In 2008 I asked my best friend to give me a list of 20 books I should read. That year put me on a completely different career path, and he’s to blame.

Reactions: jgking83
I’d be careful reading so much. In 2008 I asked my best friend to give me a list of 20 books I should read. That year put me on a completely different career path, and he’s to blame.
Haha...hopefully he's to blame for a positive reason. I'm locked into my current career for at least three more years. Then I'll definitely be looking for a change.

Haha...hopefully he's to blame for a positive reason. I'm locked into my current career for at least three more years. Then I'll definitely be looking for a change.
Very positive change. I discovered a love of reading. I went back to school and got a bachelor’s degree in English 2 years later. I’m about to finish a PhD in English Education.

All of David McCullough’s stuff I’ve loved!

I’m in Killing England, O’Reilly, right now. It’s about the
Revolutionary War / General George Washington

Fiction I’d recommend any John Grisham book, James Patterson writes good books also. Patterson’s Alex Cross series is pretty good.

Non Fiction I’d read Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink, 13 Hours the story of Benghazi (I had the distinct privilege of meeting Kris “Tanto” Paronto at an event and spent 2 hours with him 1 on 1). Great book and movie adaptation.

I'd like to read/listen to as many books as possible in 2019. Looking for some recommendations.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!
Here’s one that I loved - Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson. The movie Jeremiah Johnson was loosely based on the book. The book is better.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!
How about Alive? The book about the survivors of the plane crash in the Andes? It’s also been made into a movie but the book is captivating.

Here’s one that I loved - Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson. The movie Jeremiah Johnson was loosely based on the book. The book is better.
Far better, if you like western history, try Frank Dobie

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check it out. I do like western history in context of a story.
He is one of the foremost western historians and was raised in the Rio Grande area of Texas. For modern western fiction, it's hard to beat C J Box.

Reactions: goldmom
The Killer Angels, Gods And Generals, Wreck of the Whale Ship Essex (True Moby Dick Story), We Were Soldiers Once... and Young, Life of Horatio Lord Nelson, Lights Out by David Crawford, Complete Sherlock Holmes, Harry Potter Series, This Present Darkness- Piretti, Throne of Bones- Vox Day, Days of Noah- Mark Godwin, There Will Be War series by Jerry Pournelle, Battle of Gettysburg by Frank Haskell, Mackenzie's ten thousand receipts- really cool book covering all kinds of stuff from the 1800's. May I also recommend Amazon's Kindle Unlimited. For $10 bucks a month all you can eat. I read at home, work, boat, beach, and while waiting for my wife to finish shopping....Def worth it. GO NOLES!!!

I read a TON. A bunch of good suggestions on this thread as I have read many. I will add just one book that I recently finished.

Red Notice by Bill Browder. It is a true story that flows like a fiction novel. This book became an immediate top 5 read for me.

Reactions: traumaboyy
21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari

The Coddling of the American Mind
The Righteous Mind - Both by Jonathan Haidt

Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (yes...seriously)

..and quite literally any book ever written by Sam Harris.

Anything by Dean Koontz is pretty awesome in my experience. You may not be into fiction novels but his are fascinating, touching, funny, and foremost, absolutely terrifying. Some horrors are very supernatural others are very natural and realistic. Some monsters are real monsters others are just people, it depends which book.

Reactions: Bartdog
All of David McCullough’s stuff I’ve loved!

I’m in Killing England, O’Reilly, right now. It’s about the
Revolutionary War / General George Washington
I love every one in O'Rielly's "Killing" series (Kennedy, Hitler, the SS, etc) all excellent and well researched.

Don't see anything yet listed for FSU so I'll suggest the master on all things FSU FB, Bill McGrotha's FSU One Time.

Interests:
Finances/Investing
Leadership
Agriculture
Hunting/Fishing/Trapping
Florida State

Help a brother out!
Killing the SS by Bill O’ Reilly

Just stumbled upon and finished New Iberia Blues by James Lee Burke. Apparently it’s like the 20th book in the Robicheaux series. Really liked it, just started the original. Seems to be one of the best “noir/southern gothic” authors out there. I enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of military strategy myself, but if you're interested in real estate as a 2nd career you might consider 10X by Grant Cardone. It's on audible and he narrates it himself. It's definitely motivational. BTW, in the post above you mentioned you are open to residential or commercial. There is a very big difference between the two. I'll be happy to discuss the differences when you are ready.

While this book isnt necessarly fact based, Alas Babylon has many of the things you listed.

Literally one of my favorite books and you can read in no time.

Have you ever tried Peter Bowen? His Gabriel DuPre series is great.
Just saw this! Is this series set in the West?
Anyone here read Tony Hillerman? His daughter has kept up the series pretty well since his passing. I love the characters and of course anything about the West.

Reactions: MagNoleA
I tend to read two books, one fiction and one nonfiction concurrently, and I just finished _From Bacteria to Bach and Back_ by Daniel Dennett and _Sing, Unburied, Sing_ by Jesmyn Ward. Both were phenomenal, and I recommend them highly.

Fiction: The Bernie Gunther series has been amazing. I’m hearing that HBO is about to pick it up. That will be amazing!

Fiction: The Bernie Gunther series has been amazing. I’m hearing that HBO is about to pick it up. That will be amazing!
just read Prussian Blue will be reading the rest of that series after I'm done with the Steve Berry Cotton Malone series

just read Prussian Blue will be reading the rest of that series after I'm done with the Steve Berry Cotton Malone series

Going to amazon to check it out. Just reread all the Gabriel Allon novels. Currently downloaded the the first book in Christopher Marlowe Cobb series. I need something…

Going to amazon to check it out. Just reread all the Gabriel Allon novels. Currently downloaded the the first book in Christopher Marlowe Cobb series. I need something…
Two of my recent favorite series are Randy Wayne White (Doc Ford centered in Sanibel) and CJ Box(Joe Pickett centered in Wyoming)
And of course an old favorite John D McDonald and Travis Magee

Reactions: goldmom
Check out W.E.B.Griffen's military series. If you have been in the military, you have experienced many of the situations in the books whether you were an officer or an EM or NCO. The books follows the careers of multiple military soldiers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT