ADVERTISEMENT

Book Recommendations

Just stumbled upon and finished New Iberia Blues by James Lee Burke. Apparently it’s like the 20th book in the Robicheaux series. Really liked it, just started the original. Seems to be one of the best “noir/southern gothic” authors out there. I enjoyed it.
I have read most of his books, but stopped about 3-4 years ago when he moved Dave and Cleve to Montana and a particularly gruesome serial killer was the center of the book. Couldn't take any more of the violence at the time, so I took a break. But his earlier works are excellent, particularly as they deal with Dave's alcoholism and fight to stay sober.

Reactions: LandsharkNole
Just saw this! Is this series set in the West?
Anyone here read Tony Hillerman? His daughter has kept up the series pretty well since his passing. I love the characters and of course anything about the West.
I read all of Tony Hillerman books until he died and I doubted that his daughter could have as much success in holding my interest. I'm glad to have gotten a recommendation that she is good. I will try her on your recommendation.

Reactions: goldmom
51LyIMnRk9L._AC_US218_.jpg

I couldn't resist adding this one. The Transistor was invented at Bell Labs in 1947. The achievements of Bell Labs in the 20th century were mind blowing. Totally.

The Intelligent Investor? Ambitious start. Common Sense on Mutual Funds is the best investment book I ever read, though there are quite a few. John Bogle, it's author, is on your side, and is a totally brilliant man. He invented the index fund. Also, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, now in it's 12th edition. It's author, Burton Malkiel, is Professor Emeritus of Economics at Princeton. He's on your side, too.

If you like this, you might like Dealers of Lightning, about the birth of the PC at Xerox PARC.

Just saw this! Is this series set in the West?
Anyone here read Tony Hillerman? His daughter has kept up the series pretty well since his passing. I love the characters and of course anything about the West.
The series is set in Montana. I actually like it better than CJ Box or Tony Hillerman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT