ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Williams

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Why do people who have nothing to prove feel the need to lie about their experiences? He is getting hammered. #BrianWilliamsMemories
laugh.r191677.gif

B9E0cM0IMAAf057.png:large

B9CnsRSCEAAyyjp.jpg

And then he uses political speak like, "miss-remembered" (what does that even mean?) to avoid making statements like, "I'm sorry I lied." smh

Originally posted by NoleInBama:
I would love to see Brian Williams interview Lance Armstrong . . .
Only if hosted by Foxnews Geraldo Rivera, Eric Bolling and Bill O'Reilly.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

O'Reilly? Explain...

Originally posted by nynole1:

O'Reilly? Explain...

Amongst a laundry list of other lies about his past here's one that fits in directly with incredibly exaggerating your past for no reason.

"If Bill O'Reilly lies about a simple thing like his football career?
why should we believe him about anything else, especially important issues?

The 2005 Super Bowl was not entirely scandal-free. The scandal wasn't about the commercials, the halftime show or even the Philadelphia Eagles' pathetic clock management. It was about the Super Bowl program and Bill O'Reilly. The noted loofah user wrote the so-called end piece of the score card sold at the game. He waxed poetic about the inspiration that his own football career at Marist College in New York provided, observing that he once punted a ball backwards. But that, quoting here, "I won the national punting title for my division as a senior." O'Reilly concludes that "I guess you could say the end zone was the beginning of the no-spin zone."

But Mr. O'Reilly has done a little spinning of his own here. Others might call it resume padding or lying. The football office at Marist says that football was not a varsity sport there until 1978 -- seven years after O'Reilly graduated. When he played, it was a so-called club sport where players paid all their own expenses, and schedules and, most importantly, statistical record-keeping were haphazard.

So when he says he was the top punter in his division in the country in 1970, it does not mean what it sounds like. He was not in the NCAA Division I or II or the smaller-college NAIA Division I or Division II. O'Reilly in Marist played in something called the National Club Football Association."

O'Reilly? Explain...
Bill also REPEATEDLY lies about his upbringing even writing fake sections in his "autobiographical" books about a hardscrabble, lower income upbring. Meanwhile in reality he was middle class at worse as his family almost made the modern day equivalent of six figures which is double the average American family household income.

"In March, Slate.com editor Michael Kinsley infuriated O'Reilly by suggesting the Fox host's background was less proletarian than he lets on (Washington Post, 3/1/01). O'Reilly makes much of his "working class" upbringing in Levittown, Long Island. His book's dust-jacket bio begins: "Bill O'Reilly rose from humble beginnings to become a nationally known broadcast journalist," and O'Reilly says his father, who retired in 1978, "never earned more than $35,000 a year in his life."

But O'Reilly's mother told a reporter her son actually grew up in Westbury, Long Island, a "middle-class suburb a few miles from Levittown," where he attended a private school (Washington Post, 12/13/00). And his father's $35,000 income in 1978 is equivalent to more than $90,000 today in inflation-adjusted dollars."

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
What did he lie about?

For Christ's sakes post a link.
Long story short, Brian Williams admitted to lying (he used some BS about "misremembering") about when a helicopter he was on during Iraq War was allegedly hit by a rocket and under fire. His helicopter never came under attack, so some vets are upset about "stolen valor" as he claimed to have been under Fire when he never was.

What did he lie about?

It's current events, man - you just have to follow what's going on in the world.

Also, in case it comes up later - the king of Jordan quoted the movie Unforgiven when he was talking about how bad he's going to eff up ISIS.

"Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him. Any son of a b---h takes a shot at me, I'm not only going to kill him, I'm going to kill his wife and all his friends and burn his damn house down."

O'Reilly? Explain...
Bill also REPEATEDLY lies about his upbringing even writing fake sections in his "autobiographical" books about a hardscrabble, lower income upbring. Meanwhile in reality he was middle class at worse as his family almost made the modern day equivalent of six figures which is double the average American family household income.

"In March, Slate.com editor Michael Kinsley infuriated O'Reilly by suggesting the Fox host's background was less proletarian than he lets on (Washington Post, 3/1/01). O'Reilly makes much of his "working class" upbringing in Levittown, Long Island. His book's dust-jacket bio begins: "Bill O'Reilly rose from humble beginnings to become a nationally known broadcast journalist," and O'Reilly says his father, who retired in 1978, "never earned more than $35,000 a year in his life."

But O'Reilly's mother told a reporter her son actually grew up in Westbury, Long Island, a "middle-class suburb a few miles from Levittown," where he attended a private school (Washington Post, 12/13/00). And his father's $35,000 income in 1978 is equivalent to more than $90,000 today in inflation-adjusted dollars."
Sounds more like you misunderstood and mischaracterized. He said his father never made more than $35k and his mother seems to agree.

My old man made more than $35k in 1978 and we were poor white trash. I can't imagine what that would be like in NY. If I was making what he makes now, stating that I "rose from humble beginnings to become a nationally known broadcast journalist (making millions)" would seem accurate.

I like Brian Williams but it seems so unnecessary to lie in this instance. That said, it is what it is and he got caught with is hand in the cookie jar.

Originally posted by RTM58:

O'Reilly? Explain...

Sounds more like you misunderstood and mischaracterized. He said his father never made more than $35k and his mother seems to agree.

My old man made more than $35k in 1978 and we were poor white trash. I can't imagine what that would be like in NY. If I was making what he makes now, stating that I "rose from humble beginnings to become a nationally known broadcast journalist (making millions)" would seem accurate.

I like Brian Williams but it seems so unnecessary to lie in this instance. That said, it is what it is and he got caught with is hand in the cookie jar.
First of all, that quote is outdated. Adjusting for inflation, $35,000 in 2014 dollars is actually $127,082.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=35000&year1=1978&year2=2014

If you're making six figures that's not "humble beginnings". Second of all, O'Reilly has repeatedly lied about being poor not just that one solitary quote I pulled out from someone else. Here's another one of his quotes. "I'm as lower-middle-class as they come". Really? His father wasn't some bluecollar schlub. His dad was an accountant for a large oil company making the equivalent of six figures. Even using 1978 figures, the average HOUSEHOLD salary was only $15,000. So Bill's father was making more than double the household income, not exactly "as lower middle class as they come". I'm sure his mother who was a licensed physical therapist added a couple of extra thousands to the $35,000. His parent's sent him to a pretty expensive New York Private School. I realize private schools in Florida are pretty cheap as according to my five second google search the average cost is only $4k a year. But Chaminade High School in New York where Bill went costs $10,500 per semester. So $20k for high school is not something a "lower middle class" family could afford today. Especially since the AVERAGE American household income is $51k (my $44k figure was for Florida). By the accepted definition a lower middle class individual TODAY in 2014 makes....$34,000. Not 1978 $34,000, but current day about a quarter or what Bill's dad made by himself as an OIL COMPANY ACCOUNTANT.

So yeah, if you don't see the lies you're being purposefully obtuse.

First of all, that quote is outdated. Adjusting for inflation, $35,000 in 2014 dollars is actually $127,082.
My old man made it and it was NOTHING like making $127k today. I had already run the inflated $'s and laughed when it popped up.

It's a Catholic school which has a robust scholly program.

More than 1,600 boys from as far as Manhattan and Westchester County applied last year for 425 freshman seats at Chaminade, which many consider one of Long Island’s premier private schools and a relative bargain at $6,660 a year. Chaminade, founded in 1930 and now the Island’s only all-boys Catholic school, has thrived by staying unabashedly Catholic and traditional.

Today, Chaminade’s students are
mostly middle-class and white; minorities make up 5 percent of the student body. The annual tuition of $6,660 is lower than the typical $7,200 for other parochial schools on Long Island in part because of Chaminade’s robust $25 million endowment.
This post was edited on 2/5 11:37 PM by RTM58

My old man made it and it was NOTHING like making $127k today. I had already run the inflated $'s and laughed when it popped up.

Like I said, $35k was close to 2.5x the average HOUSEHOLD salary in 78. So the inflation calculator does work as $127k is about 2.5x the current average household of $51k. Any way you want to shake it that's not lower middle class. Not in a million years. Harvards tuition in 1978 was $10k for the year. Now it's 43.5k.

I made just under that a few years later parking cars part-time while going to school. Apparently I was wealthy and didn't even know it. Don't trust the interwebz or the BLS, and that's my professional opinion.

O'Reilly? Explain...

RTM, you beat me to it. I don't think a website like slate.com would have an ax to grind or anything...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Has NBC made a statement? They must have had other employees or personnel involved in his trip to Iraq and involved in the "incident". They either had no clue what really happened or went along with his lie for a decade.

Originally posted by NDallasRuss:
What did he lie about?

It's current events, man - you just have to follow what's going on in the world.

Also, in case it comes up later - the king of Jordan quoted the movie Unforgiven when he was talking about how bad he's going to eff up ISIS.

"Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him. Any son of a b---h takes a shot at me, I'm not only going to kill him, I'm going to kill his wife and all his friends and burn his damn house down."
Thats BRILLIANT

I hope Clint Eastwood uses him as a guest star in a future movie.

O'Reilly? Explain...

Hand in the cookie jar???

Brian Williams, arguably the most likable of evening news anchors, lied! He is the face of NBC News and he lied. The ONE thing a news anchor is charged with, BE CREDIBLE. He's lost all creditability, He's useless to NBC now.

I know a guy who did his mortgage when he lived here in DC. He went to the home and Williams was late and his wife kept saying her husband is really important. This was before the anchor slot and the loan officer didn't know who he was at the time. Williams came home and wore sunglasses the whole meeting, got up and left the room and didn't say anything. Instead of apologizing, his wife said he is very important and trivial matters don't matter to him.

NBC has to suspend him if not fire him.

But with the Winston saga, we all saw that journalistic integrity means nothing now.

Who cares what Bill O did or did not do; the fact is that Brian Williams lied and lied repeatedly, including on David Letterman and other large audience shows and based on the clips I saw he did so very easily. Brian Williams is supposed to be the guy that millions turn to for factual news and like many people think he is just another lying sack of crap in the media that lies in order to create a narrative and influence the masses of sheep in America. What is even worse is the garbage "misremembered" excuse. NO dude you lied in order to make people think you are some hard core reporter who faced life and death just to bring us a story. I would also challenge readers to go back and listen to Hillary Clinton's lie about "sniper fire in Bosnia". On the surface her lie does not sound terrible; but when you listen to her tell it, the lie is really bad. Of course none of that will matter in the end as 40% of America will make excuses for both of them and continue to support whatever they say or tell us. This is why America gets what it deserves when it comes to who we elect and what we believe are the facts.

More than 1,600 boys from as far as Manhattan and Westchester County applied last year for 425 freshman seats at Chaminade, which many consider one of Long Island's premier private schools and a relative bargain at $6,660 a year. Chaminade, founded in 1930 and now the Island's only all-boys Catholic school, has thrived by staying unabashedly Catholic and traditional.

Today, Chaminade's students are
mostly middle-class and white; minorities make up 5 percent of the student body. The annual tuition of $6,660 is lower than the typical $7,200 for other parochial schools on Long Island in part because of Chaminade's robust $25 million endowment.
I log onto the locker room and see my alma maters being discussed - Chaminade & Marist College!

My father attended Chaminade within the years O'Reilly was a student & I did as well in late 80's. Chaminade is not a middle class Catholic High School. Chaminade is prestigous and highly competitive to gain admission. The town where Bill O'Reilly grew up on Long Island was pristine in the 60's & 70's. Marist College has always been a beautiful school located on the banks of the Hudson River just 90 miles north of Manhattan in the lovely Hudson Valley. O'Reilly did not grow up in dirt poor Brooklyn and attend city college. Anyone who attended Chaminade & Marist had a very fortunate adolescense.

As for Brian Williams, he flat out lied about the military. Don't think he can survive this.

Originally posted by NYCNole:

More than 1,600 boys from as far as Manhattan and Westchester County applied last year for 425 freshman seats at Chaminade, which many consider one of Long Island's premier private schools and a relative bargain at $6,660 a year. Chaminade, founded in 1930 and now the Island's only all-boys Catholic school, has thrived by staying unabashedly Catholic and traditional.

Today, Chaminade's students are
mostly middle-class and white; minorities make up 5 percent of the student body. The annual tuition of $6,660 is lower than the typical $7,200 for other parochial schools on Long Island in part because of Chaminade's robust $25 million endowment.
I log onto the locker room and see my alma maters being discussed - Chaminade & Marist College!

My father attended Chaminade within the years O'Reilly was a student & I did as well in late 80's. Chaminade is not a middle class Catholic High School. Chaminade is prestigous and highly competitive to gain admission. The town where Bill O'Reilly grew up on Long Island was pristine in the 60's & 70's. Marist College has always been a beautiful school located on the banks of the Hudson River just 90 miles north of Manhattan in the lovely Hudson Valley. O'Reilly did not grow up in dirt poor Brooklyn and attend city college. Anyone who attended Chaminade & Marist had a very fortunate adolescense.

As for Brian Williams, he flat out lied about the military. Don't think he can survive this.
Thanks for the scoop (and the humblebrag)...

Not bragging, I am damn fortunate my parents gave me an easy adolescense. Makes me work hard to give my kids the same. It infuriates me when people play the "rose from the ashes" routine when that was clearly not the case.

This post was edited on 2/6 9:33 AM by NYCNole

Maybe Brian Williams can have Dan Rather "produce" some papers proving his helicopter story?

Originally posted by Dr. Nole:
Maybe Brian Williams can have Dan Rather "produce" some papers proving his helicopter story?
Dan Rather has come out defending Williams, but it looks like Brokaw is saying Williams must step down, now there are conflicting reports about what Williams claimed during Hurricane Katrina.

And now Mr. Williams predecessor, Tom Brokaw, author of, "The Greatest Generation,' is calling for Mr. Williams to be fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/02/06/nbc-tom-brokaw-reportedly-wants-brian-williams-fired-over-fabricated-iraq/

Originally posted by KLNole:

Dan Rather has come out defending Williams, but it looks like Brokaw is saying Williams must step down, now there are conflicting reports about what Williams claimed during Hurricane Katrina.
Body floated past hotel in French Quarter? Officials say FQ didn't flood. Plus gang took over hotel and cop saved him. I call BS.

Originally posted by KLNole:

Body floated past hotel in French Quarter? Officials say FQ didn't flood. Plus gang took over hotel and cop saved him. I call BS.
He has to be done. If this had been a FOX News talking head, NBC and MSNBC would be screaming for their head.

If this was Megyn Kelly NBC would be picketing on 6th Ave for her firing. MK is killing everyone in ratings.

If this was Megyn Kelly NBC would be picketing on 6th Ave for her firing. MK is killing everyone in ratings.
I think Williams is supposed to be on Letterman again next week, that should be interesting. Letterman should feel like a fool for calling Williams a war hero. I have experience feeling let down after believing someone was a war hero. Also funny that Jimmy Fallon had no jokes about this in his monologue, if it was OReily he would of released a rap video. It is all about ratings and money.

Seems that Brian conflated a story that you use to pick up a drunk bride's maid at your distant cousin's wedding (i.e, one you will never see again) with the truth. Truth be told, I've told some whoopers in my early 20's at friend's weddings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT