ADVERTISEMENT

Burt Reynolds Introduces the NEW Bandit Trans Am

My hubby (boyfriend at that time) had a 68 Firebird 400. Stick shift, engine was so big it couldn't fit an A/C. Hot as hell with black interior.
Black vinyl top gold body. Bad ass car.

CHOSxKuWcAEgl8e.0.0.jpg

That is really cool. Only 77 of them I would imagine they will be real expensive.

You can see he is wearing the first National Championship ring and an ole friend stops by. BTW I would love to get one, my first car was Firebird.

My uncle has an original one and it's his baby. Doesn't drive it often, but he takes great care of it.

I prefer the look of the original to the new one. I don't care for the nose of the new one, looks a little funny.

My uncle has an original one and it's his baby. Doesn't drive it often, but he takes great care of it.

I prefer the look of the original to the new one. I don't care for the nose of the new one, looks a little funny.

I agree about the nose, but I think the back end looks worse. Almost like they tried to take a piece of a Camaro and a piece of a Corvette and put them together. It just looks weird.

Reactions: dmm5157
The front end feels a touch forced to make it look similar to the original. I bet they sell out and consider another run, and even at 180HP vs almost 800 HP, I still would rather get an original.

The length is also something that is a bit off to me, that was one of the details I liked about the original, the long body.

this is borderline blasphemous, but that white one at the 1:22 mark looks pretty sweet

I thought Pontiac was defunct?

It is.
There is a shop in Tally that is crafting these conversions from 5th generation Camaros. Been doing it for several years. I saw one driving in town last weekend. I think they have at least two in the antique museum by I-10.

Every time there is Smokey and the Bandit reference, I have to mention that I was an extra in the movie. The famous trans am nearly killed my little sister and me when a stunt jump went wrong. We survived and I have had an awesome story to tell for forty years. Out of all the movies made, so lucky that the one I was in is iconic.

Reactions: funksouljon
It is.
There is a shop in Tally that is crafting these conversions from 5th generation Camaros. Been doing it for several years. I saw one driving in town last weekend. I think they have at least two in the antique museum by I-10.
Called Trans Am Depot. Google them. The bought the rights to Trans Am. And maybe Pontiac can't remember for sure on that part.

That car is hideous....
But since I had a 72 trans am 455 HO my personal opinion is the 74 TA SD455 was the last true Trans AM....

73 was the first year they started putting the bird on the hood and it was all down hill from there

Also, in reference to motor sizes earlier..... pontiac engines were tiny compared to chevy.... the engines were all about the same size as a chevy small block.

the chevy big blocks were the massive engines. As I said, i had a pontiac 455 HO and earlier in life a SS 396 (big block chevy) .... the 396 was SO much bigger in external size than the pontiac 455

Link is to the video of the new Bandit version Trans Am and towards the end features a cameo of Bobby Bowden with Burt Reynolds

Only 77 of them will be made and all signed by the Bandit himself

I thought Pontiac was defunct?

Pontiac is gone but Trans Am Depot (a Tallahassee Company, they are out by the airport) has been converting new Camaros into Trans Ams. They have been doing this for quite some time. They also make a GTO (That should have been what Pontiac made) and a couple others. Their stuff is top notch and featured all over. They had an Orange County Choppers episode and Paul Sr. from that show bought one.

I wish GM would come out with a special vehicle operations division to do this sort of thing from the factory in limited runs so the price wouldn't be so high.

This is pretty close to the car I took to FSU when I enrolled in 1978.....

Only 77 Bandits Editions will be built. The price is $115,000, but Trans Am Worldwide offers a range of models that start at around $70,000, which includes the donor Camaro SS. Three performance packages are available to boost its stock 6.2-liter V8 to 550 hp, 650 hp, or 720 hp, and if Trans Ams aren't your thing, they also do a GTO-inspired car.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/03/25/return-bandit-trans-am/

As a girl who cares less about cars, even I think that is super cool. Anyone else see Bobby doing the chop at about 4:05 when everyone else is waving? Not sure if it was intentional or it is just a habit for him, but also cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT