ADVERTISEMENT

Car Guys - Ideas Needed

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
I know there are a few car guys in here, even a few who have Vettes, so I wanted to get thoughts/ideas on what my problem might be and how to best take care of it.

My 2005 Vette won't start. I have a battery that is a few months old and tested out fine. I can get in the car with the FOB and the dash lights, radio, headlights, etc. all work fine. The check engine light comes on. I go to push the push button start button, which lights up like normal and then nothing happens, no sounds at all. It's not the battery. I don't think it's the alternator because that shouldn't matter in starting it up if there is juice in the battery, right? The info center did flash No FOB detected a couple times off and on, but it let me in the car and every thing else lit up. Just to be sure, I replaced the FOB battery. Haven't seen the No FOB detected message, but same results with nothing on trying to start.

I took the battery to Autozone to check out and charge up for the juice I had used up playing around trying to solve the problem. It checked out fine with 63% charge. I asked if they had one of those computer readers to detect problems and they said no, they just have what the codes mean and that I would have to go to a dealer or shop to run diagnostics.

It has a coolant leak with the water pump and my redneck buddy who has done some simple work on his Vette was going to change out the water pump for me. The check coolant message did come on a couple weeks ago and I added coolant (and have kept it up) and was able to start it up fine four or five times after that. Then yesterday, try to start and nothing. Buddy says he doesn't know what's up with it. Ideas on what it could be and possible tests or fixes to run so that I at least have a guess as to what I am looking at before I have it towed somewhere? The starter? Electrical problem? Some type of starter kill that got tripped by coolant leak?

I don't have a trusted local shop and last time I took it to the dealer, they screwed something up. So recommendations on mechanics in Largo/Clearwater area would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the rules.
Vette001-1.jpg

Reactions: SoddyNole
Post this on the Corvetteforum in the C6 section. I'm not familiar with the pushbutton start issues at all. Doesn't sound like the battery as you had it fully charged. I'll do a cut and paste of your post and put in on the forum.

2005's had pushbutton start?

Last edited:
Give it some time for the experts to see it. Sounds like they are saying to have a fully charged battery. If that doesn't work, it might be the switch on the brake pedal and/or have it read for codes.

Give it some time for the experts to see it. Sounds like they are saying to have a fully charged battery. If that doesn't work, it might be the switch on the brake pedal and/or have it read for codes.

That site is awesome. I appreciate the help with your Vette Forum cred and have some good suggestions to try. I'll give em a try and hopefully get it running soon. If we ever get the chance to meet up, beer is on me.

Ironic, the gater might have the solution.

Yeah, I did a search of his solution and there is a how to video on Youtube. Could be the solution, although this time I am not getting the same message as the time it happened a couple years ago. Well, I have some suggestions to go on tomorrow, so it is a start. I hope it is a little easier than the 8 laterals the Canes needed to do to beat Duke.

I've seen C6's have trouble recognizing the fob if you leave a cell phone charger plugged in the cigarette lighter. Unplug it if you have one. The other advice I have is slide the fob in the glove compartment slot for a dead fob. Will the car start this way?

I've seen C6's have trouble recognizing the fob if you leave a cell phone charger plugged in the cigarette lighter. Unplug it if you have one. The other advice I have is slide the fob in the glove compartment slot for a dead fob. Will the car start this way?

Didn't have charger plugged in, tried the FOB in slot and then replaced FOB battery, didn't work. I removed the battery, charged it up 100% and reconnected. It reset whatever computer code error(s) and started fine. Best guess is that there was a known flaw with the 2005 Vette with the wiring on the steering column lock module that sometimes trips an error code that keeps it from starting. Temporary fix is to either reset error codes through an OBD2 scan tool or just remove battery terminals for a reset. Permanent solution is to install a module bypass. There is a good youtube video showing how to do it. Not sure why it had the FOB not detected message. Haven't done the permanent fix yet, but no problems since reset.

Corvette Forum is awesome. I should participate more, but I haven't had many issues with mine until recently. It's 10 years old and just under 30,000 miles on it. Thanks to Gary who has "post cred" over there for starting the thread.

Last edited:
Didn't have charger plugged in, tried the FOB in slot and then replaced FOB battery, didn't work. I removed the battery, charged it up 100% and reconnected. It reset whatever computer code error(s) and started fine. Best guess is that there was a known flaw with the 2005 Vette with the wiring on the steering column lock module that sometimes trips an error code that keeps it from starting. Temporary fix is to either reset error codes through an OBD2 scan tool or just remove battery terminals for a reset. Permanent solution is to install a module bypass. There is a good youtube video showing how to do it. Not sure why it had the FOB not detected message. Haven't done the permanent fix yet, but no problems since reset.

Corvette Forum is awesome. I should participate more, but I haven't had many issues with mine until recently. It's 10 years old and just under 30,000 miles on it. Thanks to Gary who has "post cred" over there for starting the thread.
Time to start modding it! Exhaust, cam, intake, heads,...;)

On the bottom one it almost looks like the nannies got him.
Stability control will engage individual brakes to try and correct yaw, and if you're already counter steering to handle it it'll throw you into a quick turn.

The C6 is really a C5.5. The C5 is the worst electrical car I have ever owned. They are very battery sensitive, put it on trickle charge if you don't drive it more than once every few days (they actually made a battery maintainer a factory option). Outside of that all I have to say is good luck. The electrics are looped like no other car I have had. Driver's power seat goes out... car won't start. It's a tuesday! Car won't start. You'll have a bunch more issues to solve down the road. The most fun one kills the engine when it hits 2 MPH. Pain in the ass. I got so aggravated with mine I sent it to the inlaws for them to drive. The last thousand miles I put on it I probably repaired one bullcrap thing or another 5 times. They have had it for 6 months and have had no issues. I'm sure as soon as I pick it back up 9 things will fail.

If you have over 50k miles do the seat rebuild kits too. I did mine early this year and at least it's comfortable again.

Another Corvette pro tip... If you don't drive it much and have another car get it insured through National Corvette Museum. It's agreed value. I have the drive to work 2 days a week rider and it's only 190 bucks a year.

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
I need to sell my car first so I can roll that money over into another Vette.
Thinking of an 02-03 C5 ZO6, or maybe a '10 C6 Grand Sport Coupe with the dry sump.

My first Vette was a brand new 02 Z06. Didn't have it for long, but absolutely loved it. Not sure how they are 13 years later, but you seem to know enough to make sure everything works well.

I need to sell my car first so I can roll that money over into another Vette.
Thinking of an 02-03 C5 ZO6, or maybe a '10 C6 Grand Sport Coupe with the dry sump.

I'll be selling my black '03 ZO6 in the next few months. Second baby will be here in March and I'll need room for another car seat. Wife won't go back to work until beginning of May, so I have basically until then.
For for the first time in my life I have no idea what I want for my next car. If I could get a self driving car now I would.
It will likely be a long time, if ever, that I have a car that moves like this one. So fun in the corners. It rotates so well, and it feels like the pivot is right in your seat.

The C5 is the worst electrical car I have ever owned. They are very battery sensitive, put it on trickle charge if you don't drive it more than once every few days (they actually made a battery maintainer a factory option). Outside of that all I have to say is good luck. The electrics are looped like no other car I have had.

I replaced the battery in mine, and I've twice replaced that battery at no cost under warranty.
I'm positive both window motors have been replaced, and both need to be replaced now. I've never bothered because the airflow around the greenhouse makes having the windows down pretty useless unless you stick a hand out of the window.
It also has the issue with the bad solder on the boards that dim the HVAC display as well as the EBCM. Hadn't bothered to fix either and with the EBCM throwing codes it means I don't have to turn off traction/stability control when I get in each time.

I replaced the battery in mine, and I've twice replaced that battery at no cost under warranty.
I'm positive both window motors have been replaced, and both need to be replaced now. I've never bothered because the airflow around the greenhouse makes having the windows down pretty useless unless you stick a hand out of the window.
It also has the issue with the bad solder on the boards that dim the HVAC display as well as the EBCM. Hadn't bothered to fix either and with the EBCM throwing codes it means I don't have to turn off traction/stability control when I get in each time.

I did the ebay swap on the HVAC display. That was pretty cheap and easy. I soldered mine the first time and by the time it went out again the commonly pushed buttons were all screwed up (paint came off) so the swap made more sense because they charge a stupid price for the new buttons.

I probably have a solid 10 grand in receipts for warranty work and likely at least 5 post warranty. Car has had 2 sets of wheels, 2 sets of seats, 2 ECM's (the first got acid leaked on it from the factory battery) 2 convertible tops, transmission shifter replaced twice, I finally just bypassed the park lock on the tranny, bypassed the steering lock when in park, did the bypass for the 2 MPH cutoff. Car has been babied too, still on the first set of brake pads at 100k miles. My C4's were WAY more reliable. My 66 Vette was WAY more reliable.

With all that said... it is a fun car! Mine is a 98 Pace Car so it's stupid painted and pretty much every up to 12 year old boy's dream car. I'm keeping it for my Daughter or Son.

Can I ask a chevrolet truck question in a Vette thread??

I have a great truck that need a little freshening up, it's a 2008 with 98k miles. I drive less than 5 miles a day on average; it's paid for and I'd like to drive it forever. I'm going to take it to a dealer for 100k mile service and then I want to do a few cosmetic things to spruce it up.

Any idea where I can buy the aftermarket LED headlight assemblies? I've looked on amazon but not really pleased with the selection.

Any suggestions on spray in bedliners?

Also I'm thinking about replacing the seats. I'd love to find some leather seats, especially if they came with cool/heat options. Is that something I'd just have to look at a junkyard for? Are the rails standard, i.e. if I found a 2014 leather cadillac seat could I mount it in my truck?

Try ebay for headlight assemblies. I would think seats from '08 to '13 would fit in your truck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT