ADVERTISEMENT

COVID outbreak on campus?

My niece is a Zeta at FSU. She and all her roommates have Covid. All have had very minor symtoms!

Tallahassee has had a curfew since Wednesday imposed for a week. My daughter is a tri-delta but she doesn't live at the house - the tri-delta house has been quarantined though since a small number of the girls tested positive. I can't speak for the other sororities but I know for certain that tri-delta was vigilant about social distancing and mask-wearing during recruitment - the majority of it conducted via zoom calls. There is an element of rumor about the amount of spread, not remotely as many infected as the rumors suggest when the girls speak among each other.

My daughter said of the few people she does know that have COVID they had either mild or no symptoms. The person she knows most affected got the dry cough and loss of sense of taste and smell so often reported.

Wasn't the curfew here in town because the guy pulled a gun in the protest last weekend? Throw in the 3 cops decision not having any charges contributing to that curfew as well. I do not believe COVID was the larger of the issues here.

Reactions: goldmom
All viruses don’t need to “work their way through the population”.....i.e. AIDS, Ebola, etc. Worth a mention...

But how will we get herd immunity from those things otherwise?

Then don't read it! Your patriotic leader who calls dead soldiers losers said its fake then its fake right?
You seem like a pretty miserable person. I hope life gets better for you.
I think most reasonable people that are more accepting of life with Coronavirus presently, because of people getting closer to being able to go back to work, and the economy recovering. I don't think that is political at all
But how will we get herd immunity from those things otherwise?
Are either one of those respiratory diseases?

No decision makers on this thread, I started laughing because 80% of the comments say blocked comments, I did that all in 2019 so its the same old sturring the pot LOL

Not sure if you have seen.... But we are almost at 200k not tens of thousands.... Expected to be at 300k or more by end of year... that puts it in top three as killer... Think of all the cancer centers around the country devoted to that killer.....

Sorry.. My daughter is pledging DZ this semester and this hits home big time.. To minimize it is sad

Your daughter will be fine unless she has a preexisting condition. Six percent of the reported deaths are due to COVID alone. Rest easy, your daughter is safe. If you’re scared, stay home. The rest of us will resume our normal lives.

Wasn't the curfew here in town because the guy pulled a gun in the protest last weekend? Throw in the 3 cops decision not having any charges contributing to that curfew as well. I do not believe COVID was the larger of the issues here.
I suppose that is is a version of what happened.

You seem like a pretty miserable person. I hope life gets better for you.
I think most reasonable people that are more accepting of life with Coronavirus presently, because of people getting closer to being able to go back to work, and the economy recovering. I don't think that is political at all

Are either one of those respiratory diseases?
Not miserable, just tired of the wash, rinse, repeat, and hoax people! Stop being a puppet!

Reactions: bookernole
All viruses don’t need to “work their way through the population”.....i.e. AIDS, Ebola, etc. Worth a mention...
AIDS cannot be transferred by casual contact. No one expected to create a herd immunity with that virus. Same with Ebola.

200,000 Americans have not died from COVID19.

200,000 Americans did die. Some actually died from COVID19 (CDC just reported that less than 10K actually died from COVID19), some just tested positive, some did not have COVID19 at all (young motorcycle accident victim in Orlando was called a COVID19 death when clearly the motorcycle crash is what killed him). They all died from something but not all (not many) from COVID19.

There is story after story out there of fake hospitalization numbers, fake positive test numbers, etc... Are you not paying attention?

Yes, 200,000 Americans did die. Less than 10K of them actually died from COVID19. Every 12 minutes in this country someone dies. It's just a fact. Do we shelter in place? No! We live our lives!!!
This 1000%

The level of magical thinking and just willingness to believe clear nonsense here is just remarkable.
No that's a fact, if you care to do a little research. I have two police officers in my neighborhood that get tested periodically. Went to a drive thru test site, checked in, but the line was very long that day so decided to come back at a later date...both received word that they tested positive and they didnt even take the damn test. Theres stories like this all over the place.

Reactions: ryanpkc
Your daughter will be fine unless she has a preexisting condition. Six percent of the reported deaths are due to COVID alone. Rest easy, your daughter is safe. If you’re scared, stay home. The rest of us will resume our normal lives.
Unless you are a physician, you probably should not be giving medical advice, much less assuring anything.

Last edited:
Unless you are a physician, you should not be giving medical advice, much less guaranteeing anything.
Not stopping you or unqualified like-minded people from encouraging shutting down segments of our society. Prudence is absolutely necessary in this situation. But fear and hysteria aren’t helpful either.

When the flu season kills 65K Americans every year why do we not shut down schools? K-12 and college kids all get it and easily transfer the virus to their friends, their family, their grandparents and their teachers and it all leads to 65K deaths a year. Why are we shutting down the world for covid 19?

Don’t forget Covid 19 was supposed to kill 2.5M Americans and never even came close to that number. This virus was supposed to overwhelm our hospitals and never came close.

So why did we shut the world down for this virus?

Yeah, because there is a way to view 200k deaths as ok.
Well, 1) even stretching it, there is no such thing, 2) even if you went off of the mainstream media numbers, the CDC has had to walk that number back substantially and how they came up with the numbers which is why many people do not trust them 3) theres an estimated 600k people estimated to die from cancer this year alone. Is that acceptable to you or is death only important when it fits a political narrative?

Reactions: TopJimmy
Not stopping you or unqualified like-minded people from encouraging shutting down segments of our society. Prudence is absolutely necessary in this situation. But fear and hysteria aren’t helpful either.
Unqualified huh? Ok, if you say so I guess it must be a fact.

When the flu season kills 65K Americans every year why do we not shut down schools? K-12 and college kids all get it and easily transfer the virus to their friends, their family, their grandparents and their teachers and it all leads to 65K deaths a year. Why are we shutting down the world for covid 19?

Don’t forget Covid 19 was supposed to kill 2.5M Americans and never even came close to that number. This virus was supposed to overwhelm our hospitals and never came close.

So why did we shut the world down for this virus?
Those deaths are only estimates, not confirmed as they are in the case of Covid-19. Also, flu deaths are counted for an entire flu season, the Covid-19 death count is over a period of about 6 months.

Those deaths are only estimates, not confirmed as they are in the case of Covid-19. Also, flu deaths are counted for an entire flu season, the Covid-19 death count is over a period of about 6 months.
Very little of anything is confirmed with Covid. We have been given bogus information from the beginning on Covid from “its okay to attend the St. Patrick’s Day parade in NYC because this virus is nothing”, “masks are not necessary”, “masks should be mandatory because they slow the spread”, and we really don’t know if any numbers we are told are accurate.

Can definitely say the same for you, two sides of the same coin!
Your hatred for a man is so great that you take whatever you hear and run with it. Your comment is being debunked left and right by real sources,not the "anonymous" ones.

We’re talking about a 5% difference with rounding (62 vs 67 9/11s), and it’s my contention, based on what I’ve read and provided resources for elsewhere, that the official numbers are conservative.

I am seriously done arguing about this now, before you all give me an aneurism.
You do realize that if we tested for influenza the same way we do for C19 we would be looking at over 100K deaths every year?

This isn’t HIV or Ebola.

Understood....I was responding to the post that stated that this virus will work it way through the population as ALL viruses do....that was simply an inaccurate statement. Perhaps I should’ve used SARS, The West Nile, or The Swine flu as examples of viruses that haven’t worked their way through the entire population. Have a great weekend.

AIDS cannot be transferred by casual contact. No one expected to create a herd immunity with that virus. Same with Ebola.

Good morning. I was replying to the poster that used an absolute stating that ALL viruses will work their way through our population...that simply wasn’t an accurate statement. Perhaps SARS or Swine Flue would‘ve been a better example...but my overarching point is all the aforementioned are viruses and they don’t impact all populous. Take care, and be safe.

Reactions: GbrNole
Understood....I was responding to the post that stated that this virus will work it way through the population as ALL viruses do....that was simply an inaccurate statement. Perhaps I should’ve used SARS, The West Nile, or The Swine flu as examples of viruses that haven’t worked their way through the entire population. Have a great weekend.
I understand that the ramifications of catching this virus could be severe, but the CDC estimated that nearly 60 million people in the US over 2 years contracted the Swine Flu. I'm not as familiar with SARS or West Nile

Reactions: Random_John
Unless you are a physician, you probably should not be giving medical advice, much less assuring anything.

giphy.gif

I understand that the ramifications of catching this virus could be severe, but the CDC estimated that nearly 60 million people in the US over 2 years contracted the Swine Flu. I'm not as familiar with SARS or West Nile
Yep 20% over two years. Its big brother, the 1918 flu, infected an estimated 20-33% of people over about 12 months.

Reactions: TopJimmy
Well, 1) even stretching it, there is no such thing, 2) even if you went off of the mainstream media numbers, the CDC has had to walk that number back substantially and how they came up with the numbers which is why many people do not trust them 3) theres an estimated 600k people estimated to die from cancer this year alone. Is that acceptable to you or is death only important when it fits a political narrative?
As a cancer survivor no cancer death is acceptable jackass. But you cant give someone else cancer from breathing on take your bullcrap strawman and go back to fox news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT