ADVERTISEMENT

Death Penalty

Is it safe to say anyone who doesn't believe that God isn't who he is is going to hell. The Bible says the only path to Him is through Him. I also think Jews worship the same God therefor receive the same avenue.
You’ll find little to no agreement among US Jews regarding whether or not Jews believe in Heaven or Hell at all, and if there is indeed an afterlife in Judaism, what form it takes, who goes where and for what reasons.
Much more emphasis is given to how we live our lives in this world and how we treat our fellow humans, including the stranger seeking refuge or relief from their burdens.

You’ll find little to no agreement among US Jews regarding whether or not Jews believe in Heaven or Hell at all, and if there is indeed an afterlife in Judaism, what form it takes, who goes where and for what reasons.
Much more emphasis is given to how we live our lives in this world and how we treat our fellow humans, including the stranger seeking refuge or relief from their burdens.
Judaism is fun to learn about. It is very deep.

Reactions: NoleSince1961
Is it safe to say anyone who doesn't believe that God isn't who he is is going to hell. The Bible says the only path to Him is through Him. I also think Jews worship the same God therefor receive the same avenue.
That's fun to think about.

Achagua: Huh, I died? Who are you?
St Peter: I'm St Peter, I'm in charge of the gate here in heaven.
Achagua: Heaven?
St Peter: Yes, the afterlife. The Christians were right all along.
Achagua: Christians?
St Peter: Other people who believed in a different god than you.
Achagua: Ah, well can I come in anyway? I was a good dude. Nice to people.
St Peter: Nope, sorry. You prayed to the wrong god, we have to send you to suffer for all eternity.
Achagua: Uh... that seems messed up. No one told me about this god.
St Peter: Sorry, luck of geography.
Achagua: But...
St Peter pulls lever
Achagua: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Reactions: NoleSince1961

St Peter: Nope, sorry. You prayed to the wrong god, we have to send you to suffer for all eternity.
St Peter pulls lever
Achagua: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That's what "invincible ignorance" is all about.

People that have never heard of the Bible or church get judged accordingly. They aren't culpable for what they do not know.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to most Americans.

I don't think phone surveys are very reliable in this case.

A better guage, IMO, is attendance at religious services and 80% of Americans don't attend each week.

Also, American culture's overall hostility to Christianity.

At this rate, churches will be gone in a couple decades.

So, all people who don't regularly attend a church are atheist? Really?

St Peter pulls lever
The geography idea gets me and I even question that. The idea of heaven and he'll is gut wrenching at times. Unfortunately the answers won't be known until death. I like to believe what I read, worship, believe that I'll end up in eternity.

Jesus said the way to be saved is to love God with all your heart, mind and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself.
John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Who was the poster that used to frequent WC a while back that was a shrink too, UCLA maybe?
I believe it was FSU-Fred; cool guy. He's still around; goes under several different names now.

That's not what the Bible says about Jews.
John 14:6 says:
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

The key word in the verse is Jesus. Judaism does not recognize Jesus as the Son of God therefore they fail the standard in that verse.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

OK. This is what Jesus said is most important:

Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That's not what the Bible says about Jews.
John 14:6 says:
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

The key word in the verse is Jesus. Judaism does not recognize Jesus as the Son of God therefore they fail the standard in that verse.
I do understand. I just find it difficult.

OK. This is what Jesus said is most important:

Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When does he say that is the only thing that will get you into heaven?

When does he say that is the only thing that will get you into heaven?

In Matthew 7:21–23, Jesus is recorded as saying:

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ ”

In Matthew 7:21–23, Jesus is recorded as saying:

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ ”
In that verse they are claiming they acted in His name but in the end Jesus claims they did not truly believe in His name as he dod not know their name. That's my interpretation though.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I do understand. I just find it difficult.
There are a lot of things that are difficult.

13 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matthew 7 : 13-14

There are a lot of things that are difficult.

13 Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matthew 7 : 13-14
That softball in my gut I talked about earlier is reappearing...

We are the chosen ones. We have nothing to worry about.

There are a million different Bible interpretations which is why there are 20,000 denominations.

There was a Church before the Bible. Jesus didn't write a Bible. It was compiled by the Catholic Church 300+ years later. :)
Ummm. No.

In Geneva, Switzerland, the first generation of Protestant Reformers had produced the Geneva Bible of 1560 from the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures, which was influential in the writing of the Authorized King James Version

Ummm. No.

In Geneva, Switzerland, the first generation of Protestant Reformers had produced the Geneva Bible of 1560 from the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures, which was influential in the writing of the Authorized King James Version

And they all had a different interpretation of the Bible that's why there are thousands of denominations of protestant churches today and they keep splintering from each other.

Here's just a few hundred.

Southern Baptist Convention

Independent Baptist (if non-black)
Baptist Missionary Association (if non-black)
Baptist General Conference/Swedish Baptist
Conservative Baptist Association of America
Free Will Baptist
General Association of Regular Baptists
American Baptist Association
Baptist Bible Church, including Baptist Bible Fellowship (if non-black)
Primitive Baptist (if non-black)
Reformed Baptist (Calvinist)
Fundamentalist Baptist (if non-black)
Seventh Day Baptist
Baptist General Convention of Texas
North American Baptist
Full Gospel Baptist Association (if non-black)
Evangelical Baptist (if non-black)
United Baptist Church
Evangelical Free Baptist
Cowboy Church Baptist
Pentecostal Baptist (if non-black)
Traditional Baptist (if non-black)
Ethnic Baptist (if non-black and born again)
Baptist, not further specified (if non-black and born again)
Baptist, ambiguous affiliation (if non-black and born again)

Methodist in the evangelical tradition​

Congregational Methodist
Evangelical Methodist
Independent Methodist (if non-black)
Churches of Christ in Christian Union
Southern Methodist Church
Other ethnic Methodist (if non-black and born again)
Methodist, ambiguous affiliation (if non-black and born again)
Methodist, not further specified (if non-black and born again)

I don’t attend Church regularly and I’m not an atheist.

You're in mortal sin then, Goldie.

It's a dogma of the church that those who die in mortal sin cannot be saved.

Life is short. Eternity is forever. I hope you'd consider going to Confession and coming home. You're an amazing person.

We need you. :)

Masstimes.org

Reactions: 12Nole
Ummm. No.

So few people back the knew how to read or write but among them were the Celtic Monks who translated Matthew Mark Luke and John.
The Irish priests who taught high school religion told us that the variations among the four were because those monks translated according to their skills with the ancient writings and their writing and spelling ability.
High school was a long time ago and that’s about all I recall. That and apparently translating St. Paul’s Epistles was a bit of a bear - Hebrew to Greek to Latin to Old English.
That’s all I have to contribute. Don’t want to argue about religion.

You're in mortal sin then, Goldie.

It's a dogma of the church that those who die in mortal sin cannot be saved.

Life is short. Eternity is forever. I hope you'd consider going to Confession and coming home. You're an amazing person.

We need you. :)

Masstimes.org
Brian, Catholics of a certain age aren’t required to attend Mass.
I did go to services on Ash Wednesday and I’m observing Lent. Fish for dinner. 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT