ADVERTISEMENT

Dehumidifier for allergies

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Has anyone found dehumidifiers to be helpful against allergies? Which brands are the best of it helps?

I've done pretty much everything from Claritin, nasal spray, to sinus surgery.

I'd figure out what you are allergic to first. But doubt that a dehumidifier would work. We have a couple higher-end air purifiers running in the house and seems to help a little bit.

We got a whole house UV system when our new AC was installed. works great.

Not a dehumidifier, but I've kept an air purifier in my bedroom for over 10 yrs. I'm not sure if it was allergies, but I was prone to sore throats in the morning. The air purifier solved that. The "white noise" from it helps me sleep too.

Have your hvac company come out and do an assessment of your system. They shouldn't charge for this if you already have a service agreement with them. If they find impurities they will recommend that an air quality assessment be performed by environmental scientists. We are in the process of having this done in our house because my wife has gotten a sinus infection every quarter the past two years. It sucks to see her frustrated and to think our house built in 2008 could have issues like this.

Have your hvac company come out and do an assessment of your system. They shouldn't charge for this if you already have a service agreement with them. If they find impurities they will recommend that an air quality assessment be performed by environmental scientists. We are in the process of having this done in our house because my wife has gotten a sinus infection every quarter the past two years. It sucks to see her frustrated and to think our house built in 2008 could have issues like this.

I do this for a living, dehumidifiers work to remove high humidity, so if high humidity causes a flar up it would help. But the best thing to get is filters for your AC that are designed to take allergens out of the air. Home Depot and Lowes sells them, they're not cheap but effective. The other thing you can get is an air scrubber, which basically is a filtering system that cleans the air either in a room you're in or several rooms if you get a big enough unit. They suck in large amounts of air, run it through a hepa filter and it comes out the other end clean..

Here's what a smaller unit would look like..

nikro-sc2005-hepa-air-scrubber-.jpg

I do this for a living, dehumidifiers work to remove high humidity, so if high humidity causes a flar up it would help. But the best thing to get is filters for your AC that are designed to take allergens out of the air. Home Depot and Lowes sells them, they're not cheap but effective. The other thing you can get is an air scrubber, which basically is a filtering system that cleans the air either in a room you're in or several rooms if you get a big enough unit. They suck in large amounts of air, run it through a hepa filter and it comes out the other end clean..

Here's what a smaller unit would look like..

nikro-sc2005-hepa-air-scrubber-.jpg
What would something like this cost?

The smaller air scrubber can run a couple hundred dollars. It;s basically a fan with a hepa filter in it. A good way to get rid of floating spores quickly is to put a box fan in a window, try to make it a tight fit even if you have to use tape around the edges so air can't get around the sides. Face it so it's blowing outside, so it's taking the inside air outside at a fast pace. Now, in another window put a hepa filter in and make it a tight fit, use tape. SO, as the fan blows the spore filled air outside the pressure will force new air to come in through the other open window. BUT since you have a hepa filter in that window the new air will be clean and spore free..
You can get a hepa filter at Home Depot or most janitor supply stores..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT