ADVERTISEMENT

Dog thread: breed suggestions and what you got?

Probably around 45 lbs or so. I'd like something ideally between about 10 - 40 lbs or so. I'm not as worried with the smaller size, but I can't stand extremely small dogs like chihuahuas and the like.
In that range prefer terriers because they are very trainable, have a ton of personality and think they are big dogs :)
My favorite terriers are Jack Russell, West Highland and Boston.
If terriers aren't your thing, take a look at miniature Australian Shepherd.
I'm with you, can't stand very small dogs.

I have two dogs - border collie and a pit mix. The pit mix is the best dog I've ever had, very sweet and mellow. The border collie is a handful, very smart with an Alpha personality and generally a pain in the ass, but fun too.

In that range prefer terriers because they are very trainable, have a ton of personality and think they are big dogs :)
My favorite terriers are Jack Russell, West Highland and Boston.
If terriers aren't your thing, take a look at miniature Australian Shepherd.
I'm with you, can't stand very small dogs.

Tell me where you want me to ship them:

1924300_1077408529159_1456_n.jpg

23820_1374137467197_5250960_n.jpg

I'd love a Terrier, but I'm not certain I could survive the puppy stage for that breed. I'd have to find one already 1 or 2 who has been house trained. They're adorable dogs, but their energy levels as puppies will drive you insane.

Reactions: nynole1
We have an Australian Cattle Dog, Sheila. She's great at herding kids. I posted a pic of her a number of years back, when we first got her.

She's very loving with those she knows, and she's big enough/loud enough/mean-looking enough to be a very good guard dog (though she'd have to SEE someone trying to break in, because she's pretty much completely deaf.

I have a blue heeler, very loyal dog, warms up to people quickly. Tends to follow me around a bunch, they are sometimes called "shadow dogs" for this trait.
Also have a chow/husky mix, loyal to me, but stand offish to people until she gets to know them, takes awhile sometimes. Chows tend to be a one person dog.

The kids are mostly, somewhat, kinda out of our house, so we will travel more and I hope the rescue Heinz 57 at our house is maybe our last canine...truth be known we have had some great ones who meant the world to us.

My list if getting another would be more or less... an Australian to replace Strider the Wonder Dawg ( a world class athlete) who was the reason my wifey married me, a Jack Russell who would be as wound-up-tight as Henry the $6,000,000 dawg (many, many, vet trips after fighting lions, tigers, and snakes), a Border Collie with the love and protective nature of Pappillion the great, or a group of lovable 12" beagles who would work the field like those my dad brought home to me as a young lad.
Naw, dawgs have never meant much to me... sure, bud.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Why does almost no one have a husky? Beautiful dog, and from all I have read, very friendly and good with kids.

We don't have a dog, but if I did, it would be between a lab, German Shepherd, or husky. If no one wanted a 'big' dog, a beagle would be the choislce.

Why does almost no one have a husky? Beautiful dog, and from all I have read, very friendly and good with kids.

We don't have a dog, but if I did, it would be between a lab, German Shepherd, or husky. If no one wanted a 'big' dog, a beagle would be the choislce.

My guess is if you go to the Univ of Minnesota Locker Room you'd find more husky owners.

My mother owned a husky when I was a kid and you are right, they are gorgeous dogs, the best looking breed to me. Having said that, they are known to be stubborn and tough to train because they are so strong willed. Not a breed I would recommend to a first-time owner or one who is not ready to be firm with a larger animal. My GSD was kind of the same way since he is working lines, not show lines.

I like the Husky, but they definitely have a "call of the wild" air about them. I almost picked a purebred Husky from the shelter when I was adopting my first dog almost 20 years ago. They let me walk it around the shelter grounds. Beautiful red Husky. Something just didn't connect. Seemed like the dog was looking right through me as if to say "Ahhh, one step closer to freedom. Soon as I get to your house I'm hopping the fence!". I ended up with an Australian Shepherd mix and fell in love with Aussies after that. Current dog is also an Aussie rescue.

my good looking dog is a cross between a great Dane and Golden retriever...We think. Sweet and dumb and people always stop in their tracks and play guess that breed. My other dog is a mutt from the pound. Smartest little dog I have ever had.

Can't seem to drag and drop pics....not sure why.

Have you had experience with Huskies/GSDs?

There are a lot of Huskies around here. A few are great - happy, friendly, get along with pretty much all dogs and people. The rest are insane and I don't trust them. There are also a lot more from questionable origin (backyard breeding) and they show up in shelters all the time. They're also escape artists...a friend's lab husky mix could not be contained in a kennel or even the garage because he figured out how to open the garage door...flip cover, didn't work...some other cover, nope...finally a big cage cover installed over the opener so his paw and nose couldn't fit through did the trick. Many times the neighbors showed up at his door with his dog and half the time nobody realized he was gone.

I've owned two dogs in my life and both were some type of shepherd-mix. That's probably what the next one will be.

The current dog is 14. She still looks to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood), although her hips are starting to show signs of dysplasia and her eyesight is really bad. For almost 13 years she was an incredible guard dog...loving to her family and standoff-ish to others. The last year it seems like she's decided to retire. She gets up around 8:00am, goes in the backyard to piss and crap, eats breakfast, goes to sleep until 6:00pm, goes to the backyard to piss and crap, eats dinner and then sleeps until morning. She seems quite content. She appears to be really really happy during the two hours she's awake each day. To be honest, I'm a little envious.

Reactions: nynole1 and Bartdog
We have a 5 year old Lab/pit(??) mix named Dixie. She's 57 pounds of muscle and teeth. Best dog I've ever had. LOVES to fetch, can catch a Frisbee almost 100 yards away on a dead run. Heck, she's more likely to successfully catch it from behind than waiting for it to come down.

Our other dog is turning 1 right about now. He's a Jack Russell / Shih Tzu (Jack-....poo) we named Leonard after the old guy on Community because he looks like a little old man. My wife calls him "Littleman" more often than she actually calls him by name...
Dixie
tDimvrn.jpg

"Leonard"
36Adq6I.jpg

Reactions: Wendy79
Didn't know all that about huskies. I just know that they are awesome to look at. Thanks for the insights.

They're gorgeous dogs (as are most dogs, really). But the high energy, intelligent, working dogs are tough for people who go in blind. They need exercise, training, a job all.the.time for the first couple years (or more). So many of them get bought or adopted out and end up right back at the shelter because the owners can't handle it. Because if the smart dog gets bored, he gets neurotic and destructive.

We have a 5 year old Lab/pit(??) mix named Dixie. She's 57 pounds of muscle and teeth. Best dog I've ever had. LOVES to fetch, can catch a Frisbee almost 100 yards away on a dead run. Heck, she's more likely to successfully catch it from behind than waiting for it to come down.

Gable is the same way. He'll jump however many feet in the air, catch/hang for a second, spin, whatever and look so awesome. But if he has to wait for it, he turns into a dope and tries to catch it with his paws half the time.

Reactions: Bartdog
Have a corgi. Love her but you do not want to have them with kids.

I agree.

My grandfather had a corgi. Named him Dylan in honor of Mr. Thomas. It's probably the worst breed I've personally seen around children. Would try to nip at my ankles and legs any chance he could. I ****ing hated that dog!

It is amazing the way people feel about different breeds. So many variables to consider:
Indoor or outdoor?
Big, little or mid-size?
Anyone in family allergic? (need a non-shedding dog)
Need a lot of exercise (like a Jack Russell)
Long hair or short?
Health issues? For example ( A silky terrier looks like a Yorkie, only slightly larger and doesn't have all the problems that many Yorkies do.)
Smarts? IMO no Dalmations or Cockers. And I'm sure someone out there has a "smart" one. :rolleyes: Border Collies and poodles are among the smartest.

I've owned two dogs in my life and both were some type of shepherd-mix. That's probably what the next one will be.

The current dog is 14. She still looks to be in pretty good shape (knock on wood), although her hips are starting to show signs of dysplasia and her eyesight is really bad. For almost 13 years she was an incredible guard dog...loving to her family and standoff-ish to others. The last year it seems like she's decided to retire. She gets up around 8:00am, goes in the backyard to piss and crap, eats breakfast, goes to sleep until 6:00pm, goes to the backyard to piss and crap, eats dinner and then sleeps until morning. She seems quite content. She appears to be really really happy during the two hours she's awake each day. To be honest, I'm a little envious.
My best advice to you would be enjoy everyday with your dog and try not to worry about the future that is inevitable. I made that mistake with my last GSD and spent his final two years waiting for him to die instead of enjoying our time together.

My best advice to you would be enjoy everyday with your dog and try not to worry about the future that is inevitable. I made that mistake with my last GSD and spent his final two years waiting for him to die instead of enjoying our time together.

I feel the same way. From now until the end, everything is gravy.

62Nole, agree. Breeds have traits, but the dogs are the final say. Most of what people here have written is about personal experience, which is good.

Everyone talks bad about Dalmatians. We had two when I was growing up and they were great! 1 was smart, loved exercise, 1 was as dumb as a doorknob, lazy and only wanted to eat and cuddle. But both had no health issues and were great with kids. Good guard dogs tho. The doorknob was HUGE by dalmatian standards.
Rhodesian Ridgeback. Great dog in my experience, but strong prey drive and needs space and exercise. I would not have around kids just based on our sample. Very invasive crotch sniffer.
Black Lab mutts have been great for me. Family oriented, loved exercise but could contain themselves (after puppy phase), and very smart. And both ended up about 40 lbs
Rat terrier was the smartest dog i've had, playful, Very protective, hardheaded and was as happy playing as he was just cuddling.

They're gorgeous dogs (as are most dogs, really). But the high energy, intelligent, working dogs are tough for people who go in blind. They need exercise, training, a job all.the.time for the first couple years (or more). So many of them get bought or adopted out and end up right back at the shelter because the owners can't handle it. Because if the smart dog gets bored, he gets neurotic and destructive.

This was our problem with our last dog. I was dumb and didn't do enough research. Just happened to stop by the shelter and fell in love with this adorable Corgi mix. Did some reading and read highly intelligent thinking that meant easily trained and easy to work with. Didn't realize that it meant that he'd go crazy without enough attention. The dog wound up attacking our kid (And I blame myself for it) so we had to get rid of him.

I didn't grow up with dogs. I love them, but I simply don't know enough about them. Whenever we jump for another dog (Which is probably at least 2 years away) I have to do a ton more research and be far more committed.

Gable is the same way. He'll jump however many feet in the air, catch/hang for a second, spin, whatever and look so awesome. But if he has to wait for it, he turns into a dope and tries to catch it with his paws half the time.
ours tries to grab it from underneath, which rarely works. SOMETIMES she'll get lucky and bump it into the air and catch it. I've seen her bump it 2-3 times. Other times, she'll realize that won't work and will just side swipe it with her nose and knock it down.

SIAP, but it looks like a good place to put this...

His dog was given months to live, so this man took her on a cross-country trip
fullsizerender_c8cc91947f445abaa787f15570674ea6.today-byline.jpg

Jul. 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM
Christina Butan
TODAY

Sponsored LinksSponsored Links
Promoted LinksPromoted Links

From the Web
Haricolor for Women | eSalon

Best Hair Color 2016 Announced and It's a Home Dye!Haricolor for Women | eSalon

Undo
Five Four

This LA Company is Making Men's Shopping Super EasyFive Four

Undo
by Taboolaby Taboola

More from TODAY.comFrom The Web
00:30
00:30
TODAY.com

This baby walrus has us flipping out!TODAY.com

Undo
Sponsored LinksSponsored Links
Promoted LinksPromoted Links

comment (0)
When Robert Kugler's dog was diagnosed with cancer, he was given two options: amputate her leg or put her down. That is, until Kugler came up with a third option.

Even though Kugler's canine companion of nine years, Bella, was only given three to six months to live, he made the tough call of having doctors remove one of her front legs.

Yorkies. I love dogs but these are my last dogs ever. Used to have big dogs but I travel so much and it got to be a pain. Now I'm older and don't even want a plant if it expects me to water it.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
If you have young kids you really can't go wrong with a pitbull...

Agree with all the Aussie recommendations. We had one for 19 years and there is no doubt in my mind we could have trained that dog to do anything. Loved to work and picked up everything right away. Also very athletic dog that loved to play. I also think that whatever dog you get yours and the dogs happiness really boils down to how much work you put into him. 9/10 times dog problems are usually the owners' fault. Currently we have an Aussie mix and a Catahoula that were rescues. My Catahoula is just a freak of nature strength and personality wise that dog has some serious personality traits that he was bread with. We bought a Shepoo about a year ago and I have never been a big fan of small dogs; but he is awesome. Big enough to have fun with and play, the only negative I can think is the grooming. There is a lady in central Florida that breeds them and does a great job. Good luck

I agree.

My grandfather had a corgi. Named him Dylan in honor of Mr. Thomas. It's probably the worst breed I've personally seen around children. Would try to nip at my ankles and legs any chance he could. I ****ing hated that dog!

Because you named him after Mr. Thomas instead of Bob! :)

Like the song said
He's so un hip, that when you say Dylan , he thinks you mean Dylan Thomas, whoever he was.
The man ain't got no culture!
Bonus points if you know the song/artist.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT