ADVERTISEMENT

Down goes Rousey

Rishi

Contributor
Mar 31, 2002
arguably the biggest upset in MMA's (relatively) short history. IMO, 2nd biggest behind Serra/GSP 1.

I'll be honest, I didn't think that even if the fight was all standup (which for all intents and purposes the fight was) that Holm could win simply b/c of the threat of a TD. I didn't think Holm would be able to get big enough shots off b/c of said threat.

I was shocked how out of shape Rousey looked. Breathing that hard 10 secs into the fight should not have been a scenario. I'm guessing that she didn't focus enough of training the way eg. Cain Velasquez lacked focus for his last title fight (and his subsequent KO at Werdum's hands).

Other thoughts on the show (other than the main):

Crowd was great. Very lively (without going into business for themselves) all night;

Lots of entertainment throughout the card with a lot of finishes. I'm sure most (if not all) who were either there or watched the show enjoyed themselves;

Having finishes and "hometown" fighters such as Hunt and Noke getting finishes and Whitaker winning as well kept the crowd into it and alive. Often on these big shows (especially since they had 13 fights on there) the crowd can lose energy when the hometown guys lose and lose badly (as is often the case);

Joanna Jedrzejczyk put on a very clinical performance in winning the semi-main after losing a very good first round. From that point on she really found her range and timing. Letourneau just wasn't quick enough to keep pace. Once Joanna got her timing she controlled the rest of the fight. No finish in the cards but a dominant performance none the less;

Talk that Hunt may retire, and I'm hoping he does. Wins his last fight in his "hometown" (yes, he's from New Zealand, but this is likely as close to home as it gets for him as far as fighting in the UFC goes), and wins by KO. Want to remember him for this kind of performance -> not seeing him take another fight and getting plastered (although to be fair that's as much a part of his career as winning by KO).

Some interesting possibilities for the future -> especially regarding Holm. Do they save her for a rematch and the headline fight against Rowsey for UFC 200 (in July)? Do they have her fight Miesha Tate and hope she wins to set up that rematch? Rowsey has said she won't be available to fight again until then due to her burgeoning movie career.

Joanna vs Gadelha rematch for the title seems likely, just a question of when/where.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT