ADVERTISEMENT

Fear the Walking Dead

Cribbs

All-ACC
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2004
i was confused on the ending. I thought the father was going to kill his infected daughter and wife. Did he just take a pill and kill himself?

The episode had a cool concept with the whole landing on an isolated island thing, but then it just failed to get interesting. FTWD feels more like LOST than TWD. They just keep giving us questions and nothing is happening.

I think you're right.
That's my take as well but I call bullcrap on the mom making it down the stairs, out of the house and down to the dock that quickly considering they ran before she was even dead, let alone turned. Gotta have the "look at the flowers" moment to end the show.

i was confused on the ending. I thought the father was going to kill his infected daughter and wife. Did he just take a pill and kill himself?
Probably. But it's also possible that when it came down to it, he couldn't finish off his family by hand or got bit by one when he was distracted by the other. Either way, it's some sort of statement on how even the best preparations can fall apart once someone close to you turns.

Talking Dead has been driving home the point that this series is showing the flaws in the popular strategies that people came up with back when TWD was new (send in the army, get on a boat, find an isolated island, etc.). Meanwhile, our main characters continue to make one stupid decision after another and still survive somehow (#JSS?).

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The only character I'm remotely interested in is Strand.

The opening scene was cool with the walkers just hitting land and getting up. And of course the little girl nomming on her mom was great.

The moody teenagers are the worst.

Cliff and Madison are just boring.

Druggie doing druggie things.

The only character I'm remotely interested in is Strand.

The opening scene was cool with the walkers just hitting land and getting up. And of course the little girl nomming on her mom was great.

The moody teenagers are the worst.

Cliff and Madison are just boring.

Druggie doing druggie things.

That's how I feel. I hate everyone on the show and I mean everyone but Captain Black. They should kill off everyone but him and reboot the show. And my wife is already calling the new people next week the Tailies.

I agree with the above and add that Travis (Cliff Curtis) has to go. No way he can lead this group in the new world.

1. What was the failed strategy of the desolate island? There were 200 walkers on the island. You had a marina and shop area by the looks of it to loot. Could have grown food. Still had power. Guy knew how to survive. Had the yacht and I'm sure the marina had food and fuel. Just needed to clear what 200 or so walkers. The lunacy was wanting to leave. Had a fenced beach to protect against walkers washing up. What was the downside? You could fish for meat.

2. Who was Strand talking to on the phone. I thought the phones had all failed some time ago? That was hard for me to get past. They're napalming major cities and he's got signal. Give me a break.

3. They haven't made me care at all about a single one of these characters. The look at the flowers moment worked because I cared about Carol and Lizzie and Mika. I didn't care about any of those characters last night and still don't.

I thought the same thing on #2 but figured he may be some kind of hired merc or assassin and it was a global satellite phone.

I thought the same thing on #2 but figured he may be some kind of hired merc or assassin and it was a global satellite phone.

Forgive my ignorance. Would those still work under those conditions. It seems like with cities falling those things would be breaking down as well.

They should have started and done a timeline of events.

The show should have started with the scene from the first episode of the walking dead...

King County Georgia......

Showed Rick getting shot....gone to black and then introduced us to the LA clan. As it is I have no idea how long it has been since "patient zero" or even when the druggie kid woke up in the drug den and discovered the girl walker.

Show is in danger of being a flop despite ratings.

Satcoms could likely still work, many are phone to satellite to phone connection only. VHF / Ham hand held units as well. I didn't really look hard at the unit he was talking on so we don't actually know if it is a cell phone or other.

We don't know the timeline of the spread. Perhaps days, perhaps weeks between the hit in GA vs CA. The first couple of episodes in season 1 of Fear indicated the outbreak was occurring elsewhere first if I remember.

Satcoms could likely still work, many are phone to satellite to phone connection only. VHF / Ham hand held units as well. I didn't really look hard at the unit he was talking on so we don't actually know if it is a cell phone or other.

We don't know the timeline of the spread. Perhaps days, perhaps weeks between the hit in GA vs CA. The first couple of episodes in season 1 of Fear indicated the outbreak was occurring elsewhere first if I remember.
I think someone mentioned somewhere that the girl in the church was supposed to be the very first zombie ever.

So far, the first couple of episodes this year have been slow and boring. Strand is the only character that I am interested to the backstory on, the others I don't really care for. He should left all of them on the island.

Reactions: FSUSarah
Forgive my ignorance. Would those still work under those conditions. It seems like with cities falling those things would be breaking down as well.

They should have started and done a timeline of events.

The show should have started with the scene from the first episode of the walking dead...

King County Georgia......

Showed Rick getting shot....gone to black and then introduced us to the LA clan. As it is I have no idea how long it has been since "patient zero" or even when the druggie kid woke up in the drug den and discovered the girl walker.

Show is in danger of being a flop despite ratings.

A show with ratings like that will never be a flop in the sense that it will always be on TV. In this genre, in particular, they could show an hour of the characters talking about nothing, and as long as they throw a zombie or two in, people will watch it. If that weren't the case, TWD would have ended years ago.

A show with ratings like that will never be a flop in the sense that it will always be on TV. In this genre, in particular, they could show an hour of the characters talking about nothing, and as long as they throw a zombie or two in, people will watch it. If that weren't the case, TWD would have ended years ago.
Totally disagree.

Zombie shows are about the living not the zombies themselves. No one really cares or watches TWD or FTWD for the zombies. No one that I know anyway.

Totally disagree.

Zombie shows are about the living not the zombies themselves. No one really cares or watches TWD or FTWD for the zombies. No one that I know anyway.
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I meant that you couldn't get away with such poor writing in other non zombie dramas because people would simply stop watching. I watch for the same reasons you do but I've been extremely disappointed. Seems like diehard fans of this genre are willing to look the other way. Does that make sense?

Reactions: LesClaypool
The writing and acting is not too bad but they really need to ease up on the teenage angst drama. While I am sure that is of interest to a lot of people, I find it highly annoying. I wish they had started more from a beginning of the apocalypse. Basically we see an outbreak and a few shows later the cities are being napalmed. Maybe the thinking was WWZ covered this far better than they could. I look forward to seeing the next episode of TWD but this show has not captured that same excitement at this point. But this show is still very new.

The writing and acting is not too bad but they really need to ease up on the teenage angst drama. While I am sure that is of interest to a lot of people, I find it highly annoying. I wish they had started more from a beginning of the apocalypse. Basically we see an outbreak and a few shows later the cities are being napalmed. Maybe the thinking was WWZ covered this far better than they could. I look forward to seeing the next episode of TWD but this show has not captured that same excitement at this point. But this show is still very new.

I feel the same. For a show that's moving very slowly, I still feel completely detached from every character but Strand. While I may have liked many of the actors individually, the overacting is getting obnoxious.

And 100% agree about easing up on the teen angst. It's completely unrelatable for adults and it comes off as annoying and offputting.

The pace of the show is hard to comprehend. We go from first outbreak, to quarantine to LA getting napalmed and the group escaping to a boat pretty much all in one season. Again, for a show that feels very slow and plodding, the timeline moves fast and skips a lot of moments that most of the audience would find very entertaining.

Not sure where Season 2 is going, but I'm losing interest fast.

Whenever I think of this show, I think of the Seinfeld skit where they yada yadaed over sex.

The showrunners basically said "we want to have a show where we show the beginning of the zombie apocalypse" but they yada yaded over the best parts. The show so far has been introduce the first zombie of the apocalypse yada yada yada its now spread pretty far yada yada the initial outbreak is about to happen yada yada now they're in pens under military control relatively safe yada yada now they're fleeing for the coast yada yada yada now there's sea pirates murdering people. They literally yada yadaed over all of the good parts.

So basically we all feel the same way. The characters are awful, they are skipping the parts they should be focusing on and we'll all keep watching anyways because we are suckers for post-apocalyptic shows.

I'm just hoping they kill off everyone and fast. Start over with the tailies.

I'm just hoping they kill off everyone and fast. Start over with the tailies.
Yea hopefully one of the dumb teenagers gets whacked immediately, like next episode, and that forces the other ones to grow up. I don't even remember Carl being this unbearable, and he was pretty bad for a while.

So basically we all feel the same way. The characters are awful, they are skipping the parts they should be focusing on and we'll all keep watching anyways because we are suckers for post-apocalyptic shows.

Sounds about right. But with Game of Thrones starting back Sunday, Fear will no longer be part of my Sunday nights. I'll get to it eventually.

Yea hopefully one of the dumb teenagers gets whacked immediately, like next episode, and that forces the other ones to grow up. I don't even remember Carl being this unbearable, and he was pretty bad for a while.

I find teens VERY dumb and irritating in general. So while they drive me crazy, this is EXACTLY what it would be like with a couple of them living in the new world. I want to slap the headphones out of Alicia's ears, lack of situational awareness is maddening. Carl was bad, but he was quiet a bit younger when it happened so his teen years were definitely different. Much less irritating IMO.

Sounds about right. But with Game of Thrones starting back Sunday, Fear will no longer be part of my Sunday nights. I'll get to it eventually.

I don't watch anything live any more. Certainly less delay from record to watch on some shows, but DVR has saved me from commercials. I don't have HBO, so always find alternate ways to catch up on GOT.

I don't watch anything live any more. Certainly less delay from record to watch on some shows, but DVR has saved me from commercials. I don't have HBO, so always find alternate ways to catch up on GOT.

I don't watch anything live other than sports and Game of Thrones since there's no commercials. I usually watch Walking Dead the same day to avoid spoilers but don't watch it completely live. I usually watch TWD about half and hour or an hour after the start time.

I don't watch anything live other than sports and Game of Thrones since there's no commercials. I usually watch Walking Dead the same day to avoid spoilers but don't watch it completely live. I usually watch TWD about half and hour or an hour after the start time.
I'm the same way and I don't even watch sports totally live (except FSU football at my local Seminole Club). For most casual sports broadcasts like Tampa Bay Bucs or FSU basketball, I will DVR it and start watching about an hour past the original start time to completely avoid commercials. I just have to be careful not to look at my phone.

I'm the same way and I don't even watch sports totally live (except FSU football at my local Seminole Club). For most casual sports broadcasts like Tampa Bay Bucs or FSU basketball, I will DVR it and start watching about an hour past the original start time to completely avoid commercials. I just have to be careful not to look at my phone.

Yeah that's true, I tend to do that as well especially during college football season when I'm recording four games at a time.

Pausing a live sporting event and fast-forwarding through commercials is one of the greatest luxuries, available to even the most humble of Plebians, ever created.

Reactions: peezy28
Pausing a live sporting event and fast-forwarding through commercials is one of the greatest luxuries, available to even the most humble of Plebians, ever created.

and it drives advertisers crazy as well! extra bonus. If you have a 20 minute of 40 minute of content in your show, don't expect for me to be held hostage for an additional 10 to 20 minutes of ad time. DVR or delayed watching playback rocks.

Love to say I get more productive time with what I saved, but it really just means I can watch 3 shows in the time of 2.

I agree that they have skipped over the most interesting stuff. I've thought from the beginning that this show should have focused on some first responders as the stars, so we could really see those moments where people are like, "holy crap, that dead guy just got up and started biting people!" Really show us how weird and disturbing it all was for people. Instead we just got little glimpses of that. These people seem rather unperturbed by all that is happening. Just kinda rolling with the punches. For a show with 'Fear' in its name, there hasn't been much fear except for the last couple episodes of season 1.

I agree that they have skipped over the most interesting stuff. I've thought from the beginning that this show should have focused on some first responders as the stars, so we could really see those moments where people are like, "holy crap, that dead guy just got up and started biting people!" Really show us how weird and disturbing it all was for people. Instead we just got little glimpses of that. These people seem rather unperturbed by all that is happening. Just kinda rolling with the punches. For a show with 'Fear' in its name, there hasn't been much fear except for the last couple episodes of season 1.
I always thought FEAR the walking dead was a stupid name for the show, and yea I agree that if the main characters were first responders the show would be way better.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
So who is the Rick of this show? Who is the leader? I am having a hard time having interest in these characters other than Strand and the Druggie.

So who is the Rick of this show? Who is the leader? I am having a hard time having interest in these characters other than Strand and the Druggie.

I hate the druggie as well. The only one even half salvageable other than Strand is the former drug warlord/fighter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT