ADVERTISEMENT

Fear the Walking Dead

I complain a lot about Fear, b/c I can't stop comparing it to TWD. I'm not going to stop watching it though.

One movie I still haven't seen, but want to is World War Z. But that is a whole different genre/type of zombie.

In looking at that list, it just confirms my opinion that 99% of zombie movies and shows are lazy garbage. I agree with you that Fear is NOT garbage, it's....okay. And most zombie related things are NOT ok. I absolutely hated Z Nation, but iZombie is aight.

I'd say movies and shows on par with or better than the original Walking Dead from that list are limited to the following in no particular order:

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Night of the Living Dead (original)
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead 2
Return of the Living Dead
Zombi 2
Deadgirl
Rec (although more demon possessed than true zombies but its on the list)
Carnival of Souls

And shows and movies that aren't up to the level of Walking Dead but better or equal to Fear the Walking Dead are in no particular order:

Zombieland
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Night of the Living Dead (remake)
28 Weeks Later
Evil Dead
The Beyond
Day of the Dead (original)
Brain Dead/Dead Alive
Dead and Buried
iZombie
Deathdream
Fido
I Am Legend
Quarantine
Warm Bodies
White Zombie

So that's maybe 5% of the available zombie movies.
I would move Zombieland into the upper list because it has several elements that make it interesting. Mentions Tallahassee, filmed at Wild Adventures, is funny and has Bill Murray.

One movie I still haven't seen, but want to is World War Z. But that is a whole different genre/type of zombie.

It is a different type of zombie, an interesting switch that DEFINITELY makes them a force.

I liked WWZ. Thought it was a good movie. Ignore the complaints about it being crappy compared to the book. If you can accept that the title was stolen, it really stands by itself fairly well. Read the book though, it was great. However, I liked Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (book only) so what do I know. I am looking forward to Pride, Prejudice, Zombies, still haven't read the book but need to.

Reactions: FSUSarah
Man, you guys really are bigger zombie fans than I am clearly. There is no way that if I made a list right now could I put this show in my top 15% of dramas, but that's all one person's opinion I guess.

I did say tv, not dramas. It would be lower if only comparing dramas, agreed, but not in top 15% of dramas, perhaps 75-80 percentile. Would be hard to rank overall since there is so much tv I don't watch, but if I don't watch it, then it goes to the bottom of the list and it becomes easier. :) I confess, zombie and apocalypse are my favorite genre so I fully admit I give it a bump due being a well produced show, and not being in the @95% crap list that tribe was referring to. And looking at the dates, most of the quality ones are in the last 10 (to 15) years.

I loved Zombieland. I appreciate when the higher quality and poking fun at the crappy ones. Come on, zombie kill of the week? Def agree move it to the top list.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I complain a lot about Fear, b/c I can't stop comparing it to TWD. I'm not going to stop watching it though.

I loved World War Z, once I got over that it isn't the book, it's just the name. The book is fantastic as well and a quick read. If World War Z had a different name, I think a lot of criticism would go away.

I loved World War Z, once I got over that it isn't the book, it's just the name. The book is fantastic as well and a quick read. If World War Z had a different name, I think a lot of criticism would go away.

I agree with that. I enjoyed the book and its predecessor (The Zombie Survival Guide) quite a bit and I was prepared to truly hate WWZ the movie especially since it was in development hell for a long time and had massive reshoots both usually signs a movie is going to be awful. But the end product was perfectly fine. It's not the greatest zombie movie (I think the first thirty mins or so of the Dawn of the Dead remake aka everything before they get to the Mall is the best pure zombie movie while Shaun of the Dead is my favorite movie that's zombie related), but its perfectly fine and an interesting take on the genre.

Last night episode was really good, shiz is about to get real in the season finale.

FTR Chris is such a wuss

The only character I am even remotely interested in is Daniel Salazar.

I stopped complaining about most stuff a long time ago with TWD in terms of saying "like that would really happen." But the one thing I just thought was completely stupid was the whole Mexican Boat Border patrol. You mean to tell me that there are still agents going to work during an f'n apocalypse? And even if they were just pirates or sea outlaws, why the hell would you need to pay anyone off to bring a boat to Mexico? That shiz was dumb. Notice how they barely even explained it. Basically just served as a way to kill Luis. Other than that, thought it was a good episode.

So has the show moved into the "Farm" stage already?

Zombies in the wine cellar = Zombies in the barn
Someone doesn't believe zombies are just walking people eaters.
People walking around clueless.

I watch it with my 13 yr old daughter and we both thought the same thing. This is just a west coast rewrite of the farm story line. Very lazy writing/storytelling.

I stopped complaining about most stuff a long time ago with TWD in terms of saying "like that would really happen." But the one thing I just thought was completely stupid was the whole Mexican Boat Border patrol. You mean to tell me that there are still agents going to work during an f'n apocalypse? And even if they were just pirates or sea outlaws, why the hell would you need to pay anyone off to bring a boat to Mexico? That shiz was dumb. Notice how they barely even explained it. Basically just served as a way to kill Luis. Other than that, thought it was a good episode.

Said the same thing to my wife about the boat border patrol officers. It was all just a plot device to get the group on shore without Luis.

Even more lame was that they stopped shooting conveniently as the group runs to help Luis and then someone in the group has to even moronically say "Hey, they stopped shooting!" after they were already standing there unprotected.

The pacing of the season is weird. They're blowing through interesting settings left and right. The lighthouse. The camp that Nich walks through covered in blood.

Forgot to bring this up a couple weeks back: Anyone find it beyond hilarious that the drug addict Nich was able to swim to shore in the dead of night naked and was fine walking around immediately after, but Strand's life raft sinks slowly and he spends may an hour in the water during the day and he's battling hypothermia for what seems like hours later?

And building on that, how Luis was a crack shot at headshots on the water from his boat shooting those other group members, also on a boat. But for some reason he couldn't shoot the group members that were on docked in the harbor when they made the swap for Alicia. That whole swap debacle was comical at best.

There were some good parts to the last couple of episodes, with some horrible (lazy) writing mixed in.

Alicia is hot, but her interactions with Chris are annoying. If she could just kill him off, that would be great.

5pfCtcp.jpg

Reactions: peezy28
The pacing of the season is weird. They're blowing through interesting settings left and right. The lighthouse. The camp that Nich walks through covered in blood.

Forgot to bring this up a couple weeks back: Anyone find it beyond hilarious that the drug addict Nich was able to swim to shore in the dead of night naked and was fine walking around immediately after, but Strand's life raft sinks slowly and he spends may an hour in the water during the day and he's battling hypothermia for what seems like hours later?

But he wasn't wearing clothes and was swimming vs laying in the boat! But agreed. The part I thought it was funny was he kept his clothes dry and first thing he does is puts on a white t-shirt and then covers with blood. clearly he doesn't have laundry chores.

They are skipping over some interesting segments to get to the end of the Abigail story thread.

Chris needs to die and soon. In some horribly awesome way. That kid is so fn annoying.

YES!!! I bet getting caught standing over them holding a knife goes over real well. Teaser offered during Talking shows them getting kicked out of the compound, so....

She was nice in the 100 too

Holy cow, I didn't realize that was her.

While the barn vs basement does feel like lazy writing, I would suspect many people would hold the same beliefs. They are still family, friends, they could come back, etc, etc. I just want to know, who is the new Maggie?
And I would be damned if I ate anything Celia made in that kitchen of death.

Mid-season finale already?

Now we have people going every which way, hopeful some of them run into more interesting new characters to replace some of the dead weight.

Mid-season finale already?

Now we have people going every which way, hopeful some of them run into more interesting new characters to replace some of the dead weight.

It was a pretty awful finale. My wife already said she's not watching next season and if I want to watch it (not really) I'm on my own.

Hard to buy that Madison would just get in the truck after all the Nick hunting she's done the last two seasons and essentially say, "I'm out."

Hard to buy that Madison would just get in the truck after all the Nick hunting she's done the last two seasons and essentially say, "I'm out."

There was so much fail in that episode, maybe the writers can get their act together for August. I may or may not still be watching.

How does Travis, a Latino from La, not know how to say anything, let alone "hermano" in Spanish? And how did nick know where he went to track him down?

Where the heck is Chris going and why exactly is he worth chasing after? What a waste.

Where the heck is Nick going? Only guy who seems to get what he needs to do and he's going rouge.

They have a wonderful relatively secure compound and Daniel goes off the rails and burns it down and totally flakes out on his daughter. His wife would be proud.

Gonna be interesting to see the story lines to get all these characters back together after sending them in completely different directions.

There was so much fail in that episode, maybe the writers can get their act together for August. I may or may not still be watching.

How does Travis, a Latino from La, not know how to say anything, let alone "hermano" in Spanish? And how did nick know where he went to track him down?

Where the heck is Chris going and why exactly is he worth chasing after? What a waste.

Where the heck is Nick going? Only guy who seems to get what he needs to do and he's going rouge.

They have a wonderful relatively secure compound and Daniel goes off the rails and burns it down and totally flakes out on his daughter. His wife would be proud.

Gonna be interesting to see the story lines to get all these characters back together after sending them in completely different directions.

Is he suppose to be Latino? I've never understood how the show is portraying him culturally, but the actor is Pacific Islander.

Is he suppose to be Latino? I've never understood how the show is portraying him culturally, but the actor is Pacific Islander.

No, they made it clear in one of the episodes that he's Maori. I'm 99% sure it was the lighthouse keeper episode.

Ok. Guess I missed that.

So you are a mechanic living in LA basin for an extended amount of time, and don't know one word to communicate with a Mexican?

That was just his hobby I believe. He was an English teacher that's how he met Lorandrea (Lori and Andrea combined and made worse) who was a school guidance counsellor.

But if you're looking for a real rationale for your disbelief he would know spanglish, then it's his ex-wife "Elizabeth Ortiz". You're going to divorce a Latina and NOT expect to have 30,000 words a second in Spanish screamed in your face from two inches away? Doubtful.

But Travis is Maori, they even mentioned he went back to bury his relative in New Zealand as part of the Maori tradition. They've done everything except show him doing the Haka and eating a big bowl of pavlova.

That was just his hobby I believe. He was an English teacher that's how he met Lorandrea (Lori and Andrea combined and made worse) who was a school guidance counsellor.

But if you're looking for a real rationale for your disbelief he would know spanglish, then it's his ex-wife "Elizabeth Ortiz". You're going to divorce a Latina and NOT expect to have 30,000 words a second in Spanish screamed in your face from two inches away? Doubtful.

But Travis is Maori, they even mentioned he went back to bury his relative in New Zealand as part of the Maori tradition. They've done everything except show him doing the Haka and eating a big bowl of pavlova.

That's right, from the lighthouse episode, I remember now.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Awful awful characters. I want them all to die. Half the stuff that happened in that episode didn't make sense. Taking a mid season break is dumb, no one will want to come back in August to watch that shitshow.

So.... did anyone catch the pilot for "Preacher?" I missed it but it seemed a little odd, but in a potentially good way. Will catch the encore.

So.... did anyone catch the pilot for "Preacher?" I missed it but it seemed a little odd, but in a potentially good way. Will catch the encore.

Preacher was absolutely fantastic! Miles better than Fear the Walking Dead.

Having said that I would suggest you know at least a little background before seeing it as my wife was lost in parts and had to ask me a couple of questions to stay up.

And by know a little I mean look it up on wiki beforehand that's all I did as I never read the comics. You don't need to know a lot just the basic facts of who is Cassidy, who is Tulip, who is Arseface and how does the Preacher gain his powers. As long as you know those simple things I think you'll love it.

I loved the cinematography and sepia toned graphic images used throughout the show so it looks like more $$$$ was spent than it really was...ie it looked very "big blockbuster" ready and not like your typical CW and ABC programming. Think almost on par with Daredevil and Jessica Jones and therefore miles better than AOS and all of the DC stuff on CW.

Yeah I only made it half way before I nodded off. Right when Daniel was going nutz telling his daughter they have to leave and got the sh*t beat out of him by the crew. I guess I will finish but now that I Know what happens doesn't matter it still sucks.

Was very unimpressed by the episode. Still watching, but it does seem to be getting more meh.

Daniel going crazy is just weird. Nick being such a dip$#!% and continuing down this goofy "i'm home" thing just seems silly. Everyones fav Maori running to the village after his boy, I totally get it. As a parent, you would do the same, you go well beyond out of your way to bring the kid back, even if the kid is a poster child for crazy in this world. And yeah, him not knowing any Spanish seemed stupid.

We are 4 episodes beyond where i wish the teen purge should have happened. After being told they were getting kicked out, Madison's two kids just lounging around seemed silly.

The whole episode.... so much room for improvement. Imagine having to be upbeat on tv and pretend about every episode was the best.

Will have to look into the preacher.

It's only one episode in so to some degree you have to reserve judgment, but it was fast paced with really interesting and diverse characters with really great cinematography/styling. So in other words...everything Fear is not.

In Fear we have one, maybe two characters who are interesting to me. In Preacher all of the main characters were immediately fascinating, even the mousy organist.

This show is so bad. I really thought they would start their path to redemption in the finale by killing off at least one teenager and they failed to do anything interesting at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT