ADVERTISEMENT

Softball FSU mixes pitchers but Oklahoma proves too tough in Supers

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Florida State did more than mix pitches. The Seminoles mixed pitchers.

The strategy worked far better than in a game 1 loss to Oklahoma. But the Sooners still proved too powerful at the plate.

Kasidi Pickering hit a two-run homer and Oklahoma also scored a run on a wild pitch as well as another earlier in the night with the benefit of a wild pitch and a passed ball in a 4-2 win over FSU on Friday night in the Super Regionals.

A very competitive game last night, and some great experience for some of the young pitchers to play in such an environment. I think this team overachieved what most of us thought at the beginning of the season, and had we not drawn Oklahoma in the supers, this team may have ended up in the World Series. The future is bright and as always I look forward to watching them compete next season.

A very competitive game last night, and some great experience for some of the young pitchers to play in such an environment. I think this team overachieved what most of us thought at the beginning of the season, and had we not drawn Oklahoma in the supers, this team may have ended up in the World Series. The future is bright and as always I look forward to watching them compete next season.
This was not a world series caliber team ... yesterday played out as good as possible for the team given the pitching woes.

Reactions: nitramdj
This was not a world series caliber team ... yesterday played out as good as possible for the team given the pitching woes.
I think “as good as possible” would have included the home run ball not being caught at the fence, or one extra clutch hit to give us a close victory. Oklahoma may go on to win it all and last night was anybody’s game even with our pitching woes. I think based on last night’s gutty performance they did show they were a World Series caliber team and could have taken the field with anyone.

I think “as good as possible” would have included the home run ball not being caught at the fence, or one extra clutch hit to give us a close victory. Oklahoma may go on to win it all and last night was anybody’s game even with our pitching woes. I think based on last night’s gutty performance they did show they were a World Series caliber team and could have taken the field with anyone.
Disagree ... what would be your evaluation based on Thursday's game? Fsu was soundly beaten by too many of the top teams they played this year. A "gutty perfotmance" against OU in one game is not enough. Fsu was outscored in this two-game series 15-5.

Last edited:
Disagree ... what would be your evaluation based on Thursday's game? Fsu was soundly beaten by too many of the top teams they played this year. A "gutty perfotmance" against OU in one game is not enough. Fsu was outscored in this two-game series 15-6.
Yes. Oklahoma was better.

Oklahoma will probably do that to a few other teams in the World Series, time will tell. When they beat somebody soundly in the World Series, it doesn’t mean that team didn’t deserve to be there.

Saying I think we would have won the World Series and saying we showed we could play with the teams in it are two different things.

Even with a different draw, we would have had to beat Oklahoma at some point, and Oklahoma is the better team.

This FSU team was far better than I thought they would be this season, the freshman were far more advanced that I thought they could be. Losing in the supers at Oklahoma does not mean the team can’t hang with other teams in the World Series.

Just a few thoughts from our time in Norman this week. This is the first time I've been to Norman as a softball "fan". I have been here 3 times previously, as an umpire. Their new stadium is absolutely wonderful!!! I hope that if FSU does move Howser and then the softball stadium, they use OU's Love's Field as a template for FSU's new stadium. I think it seats about 4k, so if FSU doesn't need one that big, just scale it down a bit. Our friends are pretty big OU supporters, so we had great seats, but I really don't think there are any bad seats.

As for the softball:

1) Thursday was a difficult game with not a lot of positives, except for the fact that the girls never gave up or got down. Our seats were about 10 rows up to the left of the umpire, so we could see into the FSU dugout and they were always in the game.
2) I absolutely loved Lonni's "creativity" for last night's game! I never saw the official line-up card, obviously, but based on having both Ashtyn and Makenna pitching, she most likely had Ashtyn as a DP and Makenna as a Flex. This gives Lonni the capability of moving both Ashtyn and Makenna in and out of the circle as often as she wanted/needed to. Lonni is without a doubt one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the country and we should be very thankful we have her!
3) Since we are here in Norman, I haven't heard anything, but I would be interested to know if Makenna tweeked her injury. Watching her very closely in the two innings of work, I would say last night was the first time all year, she looked like the Makenna Reid of last year! It was so encouraging, BUT when she walked off the field her last inning, she seemed to be in pain. When Gooden came out the next inning, I just got the feeling that Makenna was hurt. I don't think Lonni would have used Gooden last night, unless she had to.
4) Last night, FSU showed just how good they are and how good this program is. Let me tell you, OU is every bit as good as they've been the last few years...in the field and at bat. The only difference is they don't have a legitimate shut-down power K pitcher. Kelly Maxwell is good, but she's not Jordy Bahl or some of the other dominate pitchers they've had in the past.
5) Based on this Super, we have a lot to be excited about, as for the future of FSU softball. No, this year, because of the lack of championship caliber pitching, FSU is not a WCWS contending team. However, we are close...very close. If Makenna comes back and get's back to 23 form, Ashtyn fully recovers from her 23 injury and get's better, and Jazzy comes in and is able to contribute at a high level...FSU will be just fine. Getting one dominate pitcher out of the portal (if available) should be a priority and I'm sure Lonni knows that. There's just too many questions concerning the pitching staff right now.
6) I am worried that we have seen the last of Makenna Reid. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm a bit concerned.

On a personal note, last night you saw a major reason I retired from umpiring a few years before I wanted to. The ridiculous "obstruction" call on Isa is a HUGE reason I left. First, let me say that based on the rule, it absolutely WAS "obstruction". I grew up playing baseball with the rules of Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse in the All-star game. That was how you played the game. There needs to be a "happy medium" between where we were and where we are today. The reason it was obstruction is because if you watch Isa set up, well before the throw, she is in front of the base between the base and the runner. If she set up on the side of the base, it would not have been. The throw took her over to the other side which is where she really got in the way, but because of where she set up originally, that's why it was called. Like I said, if she set up on the side of the bag it wouldn't have mattered that she was in the runner's path. Just a STUPID rule!!!

Anyway, I think this was Lonni's best coaching job since she's been at FSU! It's amazing to me that this coaching staff was able to get the team to the Supers with such mediocre pitching!

Disagree ... what would be your evaluation based on Thursday's game? Fsu was soundly beaten by too many of the top teams they played this year. A "gutty perfotmance" against OU in one game is not enough. Fsu was outscored in this two-game series 15-5.
Was Duke deserving?

Absolutely
I think so, too. I still feel if FSU had a better draw in supers, they could have also made it to the World Series. . .Oklahoma has a chance to manhandle every team out there, just like they did to us and Duke.

I think so, too. I still feel if FSU had a better draw in supers, they could have also made it to the World Series. . .Oklahoma has a chance to manhandle every team out there, just like they did to us and Duke.
I just can't imagine any team making it to OKC with FSU's pitching this year. I was hoping that maybe we get a 11 or 12 seed, but that would have given us UCLA or Oklahoma St. FSU isn't as good as either this year, especially UCLA, who I think will win it all this year because of the emergence of Terry, a true freshman. Although as it is every year...it'll all depend on the pitching.

If one pitcher gets hot for any of the 8 there, all bets are off. I would hate to see it, but I could see Florida going far because of their pitching right now. If Maxwell gets hot, OU will be very tough to beat.

I just can't imagine any team making it to OKC with FSU's pitching this year. I was hoping that maybe we get a 11 or 12 seed, but that would have given us UCLA or Oklahoma St. FSU isn't as good as either this year, especially UCLA, who I think will win it all this year because of the emergence of Terry, a true freshman. Although as it is every year...it'll all depend on the pitching.

If one pitcher gets hot for any of the 8 there, all bets are off. I would hate to see it, but I could see Florida going far because of their pitching right now. If Maxwell gets hot, OU will be very tough to beat.
You say that like we were not even close and the team didn't even make the post season. We did just get eliminated by Oklahoma in the supers. . .you know as well as anyone, its a crazy game. This pitching staff held Oklahoma to 4 runs in game 2, and it was actually the pitching that kept us in that game.

The pitchers sure took some hits at the end of the season, and I agree, had we made it, it would have taken a small miracle to advance at all. . .but I do not think anybody would have been totally shocked had we eeked out a series win vs either UCLA or Ok St. How easily we forget run ruling UF, and putting up 12 runs in a loss to them the next game.

You say that like we were not even close and the team didn't even make the post season. We did just get eliminated by Oklahoma in the supers. . .you know as well as anyone, its a crazy game. This pitching staff held Oklahoma to 4 runs in game 2, and it was actually the pitching that kept us in that game.

The pitchers sure took some hits at the end of the season, and I agree, had we made it, it would have taken a small miracle to advance at all. . .but I do not think anybody would have been totally shocked had we eeked out a series win vs either UCLA or Ok St. How easily we forget run ruling UF, and putting up 12 runs in a loss to them the next game.
I would have been pleasantly STUNNED if FSU beat either UCLA or Oklahoma St in a 3 game series...this year. FSU's pitching is bad this year, with an ERA of over 3.

I don't think we were close to getting to the WCWS this year. As I clearly stated, if one pitcher gets hot, that team can go a long way. Florida got lucky when Rothrock got hot in the circle. Since the FSU game here in Tally where FSU rocked her, she has pitched to a 1.78 ERA. That's not great, but it's very good. Up and through the FSU game here in Tally, her ERA was 2.58. Not good at all, but almost a run better than any of FSU's pitchers.

If we had a pitcher THIS YEAR capable of getting hot like that and throwing to an ERA of 1.78, we would have been in the WCWS, but nothing this year showed us we had that capability. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I have stated numerous times that I think this was Lonni's BEST coaching job since she's been here. To get this team, with this pitching to a Super? Incredible! FSU had a great year and really, based on the pitching situation, about as good we could have hoped for.

I would have been pleasantly STUNNED if FSU beat either UCLA or Oklahoma St in a 3 game series...this year. FSU's pitching is bad this year, with an ERA of over 3.

I don't think we were close to getting to the WCWS this year. As I clearly stated, if one pitcher gets hot, that team can go a long way. Florida got lucky when Rothrock got hot in the circle. Since the FSU game here in Tally where FSU rocked her, she has pitched to a 1.78 ERA. That's not great, but it's very good. Up and through the FSU game here in Tally, her ERA was 2.58. Not good at all, but almost a run better than any of FSU's pitchers.

If we had a pitcher THIS YEAR capable of getting hot like that and throwing to an ERA of 1.78, we would have been in the WCWS, but nothing this year showed us we had that capability. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I have stated numerous times that I think this was Lonni's BEST coaching job since she's been here. To get this team, with this pitching to a Super? Incredible! FSU had a great year and really, based on the pitching situation, about as good we could have hoped for.

I don’t think anybody has hurt feelings, just a disagreement. You say Rothcock was bad earlier, then got hot for Florida, but when somebody suggests that possibility for us, it is not possible. Let’s see what Oklahoma continues to do to the rest of the field in the World Series, and remember what our series looked like against them. I think this FDU team was better by seasons end than people want to believe, but there was just no way there were beating Oklahoma in their backyard. Probably just like every other program out there this year.

I just suggested had we drawn a different team in supers there was much more of a possibility this team could find a way to win it to advance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT