ADVERTISEMENT

FSU women's hoops at Duke (Thursday, 6 p.m.)

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

No. 23 Florida State Women’s Basketball plays against Duke for the 54th time in series history on Thursday night at 6 p.m. on the ACC Network. The Seminoles have won seven of the last nine meetings against the Blue Devils since 2015.

Thursday’s matchup pits the ACC’s second-highest scoring offense in Florida State (83.5 ppg) against one of the league’s stingiest defenses in Duke (59.6 points allowed), which is one of six ACC teams allowing under 60 points per game.

The league’s single-most influential shot blocker has been FSU junior forward Makayla Timpson, who leads the conference with 55 blocked shots and sits 18 blocks ahead of the next closest player. Collectively, Duke leads the conference with 6.8 blocks per game, which ranks second in the country.

Sophomore Ta’Niya Latson earned another honor on Tuesday, being named an Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard Top 10 Finalist. Latsonwas a finalist for the award last season. In ESPN’s latest Top 25 women’s college basketball player rankings on Dec. 21, Latson was rated15th overall - before she began conference play with three consecutive 30-points games vs. Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and NC State.

Junior guard O’Mariah Gordon has enjoyed an outstanding junior year after an injury-riddled sophomore season. The Bradenton, Fla., nativehas a turnover percentage of just 10.2 percent - meaning the percentage of plays she’s involved in where a turnover is committed. As anAll-ACC Freshman, Gordon’s turnover percentage was 23.4 percent, and was 17.5 percent as a sophomore.

Offense looks bad and Timpson picks up two fouls in the 1Q. Time for a drink already.

This team just doesn’t defend or rebound, it’s really frustrating. Shot selection has been bad so far tonight.

Shot 22%, 23% from 3. Getting killed on rebounds ... 33-20

This is horrible.

Man I really thought we had something after that VT win. Being down 25 to a Duke team that isn’t even good is mind boggling.

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards
Have been working on a few stories and got sidetracked

Not sure I recognize this team after what I saw just a few weeks ago

Reactions: semispear
Losses are expected as I know we can’t win them all but these three losses are kind of inexcusable. Syracuse came back from being down 18, UVA was winless in the ACC, losing to 40 to an average Duke team. I try to root for Wyckoff but this is bad basketball. No in-game adjustments and not using timeouts to stop runs is a coaching issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT