ADVERTISEMENT

FSU women's hoops vs. Clemson, Sunday at 4 p.m. (ACCN)

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU (20-9, 11-6 ACC) will play host to Clemson (12-17, 5-12) on Sunday at 4 p.m. at the Donald L. Tucker Center. The Seminoles went 5-2 in February.

The Seminoles will honor graduate guard Alexis Tucker and fifth-year guard Sara Bejedi. The senior day presentations will begin at 3:40 p.m. at halfcourt of the Tucker Center.

Sophomore guard Ta’Niya Latson averaged 23.9 points on 46.7 percent shooting during February along with 5.3 rebounds and 5.0 assists. Junior forward Makayla Timpson averaged a double-double in February with 17.1 points and 11.7 rebounds.

FSU has a few simple scenarios heading into next week’s ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament. Currently tied with Duke (11-6) for sixth place in the league, an FSU win over Clemson combined with a Duke loss to UNC would clinch the No. 6 seed next week in Greensboro. A Duke win over UNC would mean the Seminoles are a No. 7 seed. FSU cannot finish below seventh in the league.
FSU defeated Clemson on the road earlier in conference play, winning 78-72 on Jan. 7. Timpson had 22 points and eight rebounds on 10-of-10 shooting, which is the most made field goals by any ACC player this season while shooting 100 percent from the floor.

A win over the Tigers on Sunday would clinch a second consecutive conference season of finishing at 12-6. The last time the Seminoles recorded back-to-back seasons with 12 or more ACC wins was in 2016-17 (13-3) and 2017-18 (12-4).

With her 18 points at No. 22 Louisville on Thursday, Latson became the second Seminole to surpass 600 points in a season multiple times in a career. The other player was all-time leading scorer Sue Galkantas, who crossed the mark in her freshman (1980-81) and sophomore (1981-82) seasons.

Latson ranks in the Top 15 nationally in field goals made (15th), free throws made (10th), points (11th) and points per game (13th).

Reactions: NoleLizards
Didn’t we end the regular season last year with a loss to Clemson?

Our rebounding and defense has been terrible the last two games. Offense hasn’t been any better. Need some momentum going into the ACC tourney where we never play well.

An 8-0 run in the final 2:13, Clemson misses a drive at the buzzer

Overtime, tied at 71-71

Reactions: NoleLizards
I turned the channel and they'd taken away the basket. What happened??
Gordon made something out of nothing basically and found Timpson down low. We gave up an easy layup and got lucky that Clemson called a Timeout and they didn’t have one. So we got two FTs and the ball.

Ugly win but we’ll take it.

I turned the channel and they'd taken away the basket. What happened??
Gordon made something out of nothing basically and found Timpson down low. We gave up an easy layup and got lucky that Clemson called a Timeout and they didn’t have one. So we got two FTs and the ball.

Ugly win but we’ll take it.
I saw that part...Was wondering why the basket was taken away after Gordon's nice assist. We were up by 2 (I thought ) when I turned the channel for the Clemson time out/commercial break. When I turned back for the ending expecting Clemson to have the ball down 2, we had it instead and it was still tied.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT