ADVERTISEMENT

Guatemala 2, USMNT 0

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Jurgen (and a majority of the team) shouldn't be allowed on the plane back to the states. That was possibly one of the most disastrous results in World Cup Qualifying USA has had in 3 decades.

Tim Howard showed how rusty (and maybe too old?) he is. Both goals, while horribly defended, should've been stopped by him given the trajectory of the shots.

The backline was awful. How does Geoff Cameron start in the EPL? Omar Gonzalez should never wear the USA jersey again. Castillo...yeesh. Orozco was the "best" of the group, which is scary.

The mids didn't seem to care at all. Michael Bradley continues to prove to be the most overrated player in the history of the USMNT. WTF was Mix Diskerud doing all night? Bedoya thinks he's better than he is. Yedlin was just out of position all night (shocker there...)

Bobby Wood was infinitely better than Dempsey, and at least was trying to make things happen, just kept getting brutalized by a typical central American style defense and typical horrible CONCACAF refs. Dempsey had a chance to score, and kicked it right at the keeper.

I'm not sure what to think about this team. I'm all about just scrapping the team and starting all the youngsters and going through a rebuilding process. The old guard doesn't have it at the international level anymore. Tuesday night is an absolute must win, or else we won't even make it to The Hex, much less the actual World Cup Final.

Sounds like lots of guys were thrown into the game and playing out of position. I don't understand all the instability with this team and experimentation with the lineups. My son's U-12 team has more continuity.

Yep, At this point I'm starting to become convinced that our issues are more to do with Klinsmann than with the players. He's constantly playing players in positions they're not designed to play in (With Bradley being the most shining example). Rather than design a system to fit what our players can play, he just keeps trying to force square pegs into round holes. And his practices seem to be negatives from most I hear.

Has anyone heard why Shea is off of his list again? Is that Shea or OCSC's decision or is he back in the doghouse with Klinsmann? He seemed to be one of the best players on the field when he was playing and the US was at their highest level last year, but then he got injured and hasn't shown back up since then.

I'm over Klinsmann for sure. He continues to play people out of position and make questionable roster choices. At first I thought he was just experimenting but its clear that he is repeating the same mistakes over and over. And whatever happen to him pushing for guys to play in Europe? He caved on that and now the majority of our best players are wasting time in the MLS.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
You can't blame a player for playing in the MLS when they're getting twice as much money there and actual playing time. How many of our International players either have to ride the pine in Europe or play in lower leagues just for playing time. MLS is also tied into the USMNT program and I think Klinsmann was getting a lot of pressure to stop throwing derogatory remarks towards the MLS programs.

we need to get this turned around asap.

if we lose to Guatamala again this Tuesday in Columbus, we are probably mathematically eliminated from the World Cup for the first time in 30 years.

Yup must win tonight.

Regardless Gulati needs to be fired as badly as Jurgen does. Theyve destroyed US soccer over the last several years, among various age groups. Impressive if it weren't so tragic and hard to accomplish.

Yup must win tonight.

Regardless Gulati needs to be fired as badly as Jurgen does. Theyve destroyed US soccer over the last several years, among various age groups. Impressive if it weren't so tragic and hard to accomplish.
The age group realignment for youth soccer is a real mess too.

we need to get this turned around asap.

if we lose to Guatamala again this Tuesday in Columbus, we are probably mathematically eliminated from the World Cup for the first time in 30 years.

Yep, even a draw doesn't really help, as that puts our elimination at roughly 50/50. Assuming Trinidad and Guatemala both beat St Vincents, all it takes is Trinidad and Guatemala to say "let's sit on this 0-0 draw" and USA is eliminated. Anything less than a win should mark the end of Jurgen's reign, and probably the reign of any of the "old guard" players, as we'd already be building towards 2022...

Good to see this thread here-- I've been on a few other boards the last few days talking about this game.

Tonight is a must win for sure. So I don't think JK is doing a good job at all but I also recall many USMNT fans going on and on about how bad Bradley was before he was fired as manager. That we needed a technician as coach that understands soccer. So was Bradley better than Jurgen?

Looks like a 4-3-3 (or more like a 4-1-2-3)

Guzan
Yedlin, Cameron, Birnbaum, Castillo
Beckerman
Bradley, Zusi
Zardes, Dempsey, Wood

I like it better than the previous match. Birnbaum can't be any worse than all the other jackasses we've been playing at CB. Would rather Castillo not be anywhere near the pitch, but oh well.

Howard had a bad game is past, but I don't think that Guzan is better.

Dempsey! Great play by Zardes to set it up. Makes up for Dempsey's poor play prior to that, as he was pretty much the striker killing any buildup we were creating up to that point.

And Birnbaum is already proving to the be the best CB Jurgen has tried out

Yep, I've been on Bradley, but that was an excellent service, and a great finish by Cameron

Glad we got the win, that was huge. That first goal took a lot of the pressure off. However....
The u-23's are getting outplayed by Columbia right now... but still 0-0 at the 13th minute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT