ADVERTISEMENT

HBO mini-series "The Night Of"

dmm5157

Seminole Insider
Jan 30, 2005
Tallahassee
Anyone catch the premier this week? I was travelling for work, so I missed the the first run. Caught it via On-Demand yesterday, pretty well made.

Caught it last night. Looks okay. They have some work to do if they're going to resolve this as he didn't do it.

I think he did it. Know one goes to take a nap at the kitchen table after losing their virginity.

But people typically brutally murder someone after sex?

Correct, people don't typically brutally murder other people after sex...or AT ALL! But that was not my point.

All I'm saying is that his alibi is a really bad one. Who sleeps at the kitchen table after having one of the wildest getting laid stories ever. Yes, maybe he took a pill that was a valium or some sort. I was assuming it was ecstasy or something, but not a depressant. But again, maybe enough time had passed that he needed a nap.

Not saying he absolutely did it either. I'm sure the show is based around all the other people who could have. But at the same time maybe at the end it turns into one of those moments like in the movie with Richard Gear and Ed Norton, where Ed starts clapping and says something like, "good job counselor" ...lol, Idk.

Correct, people don't typically brutally murder other people after sex...or AT ALL! But that was not my point.

All I'm saying is that his alibi is a really bad one. Who sleeps at the kitchen table after having one of the wildest getting laid stories ever. Yes, maybe he took a pill that was a valium or some sort. I was assuming it was ecstasy or something, but not a depressant. But again, maybe enough time had passed that he needed a nap.

Not saying he absolutely did it either. I'm sure the show is based around all the other people who could have. But at the same time maybe at the end it turns into one of those moments like in the movie with Richard Gear and Ed Norton, where Ed starts clapping and says something like, "good job counselor" ...lol, Idk.

I think the whole point of the show at this point is to get people wondering. I'd hope he didn't do it, otherwise this show is gonna be really boring.

It seems like the main detective is doubtful that he did it. Doesn't buy it. Hence Tuturro's "so why haven't you charged him yet?" line as the preview for next episode.

Either way, loving the show. can't wait for episode 2.

Reactions: HulaNole and DanC78
I think the whole point of the show at this point is to get people wondering. I'd hope he didn't do it, otherwise this show is gonna be really boring.

It seems like the main detective is doubtful that he did it. Doesn't buy it. Hence Tuturro's "so why haven't you charged him yet?" line as the preview for next episode.

Either way, loving the show. can't wait for episode 2.
I agree, this show is going to be great. The fact it already has everyone talking about it means it has to be good.

and I"m not putting my money on him being the guilty party. I just thought it was funny he took a nap in the kitchen like he did.

The brother followed on a motorcycle and hired a prostitute to jump in the cab, have sex while getting his brother so messed up he would pass out. He could have come through the back door killed her and leave without anyone knowing. This plan could have originally been planed to happen at the party but had to be altered at the last minute. At this point there is no clue as to why he would want to set his brother up but there are several camera shots of him in the background looking like he could be guilty. This may be a bit of a reach but just another theory.

The brother followed on a motorcycle and hired a prostitute to jump in the cab, have sex while getting his brother so messed up he would pass out. He could have come through the back door killed her and leave without anyone knowing. This plan could have originally been planed to happen at the party but had to be altered at the last minute. At this point there is no clue as to why he would want to set his brother up but there are several camera shots of him in the background looking like he could be guilty. This may be a bit of a reach but just another theory.

Then why did the brother look surprised when he went to this brother's room and saw the bed made and went to wake up his Dad? How would be know where the cab would be in the first place?

Then why did the brother look surprised when he went to this brother's room and saw the bed made and went to wake up his Dad? How would be know where the cab would be in the first place?
OR
The girl set him up, wanted to die for whatever reason. She was out trolling for the perfect victim and found this guy.

Exactly. I don't think Bro is the guy. There are plenty of faces he sees along the way that are meant to confuse or create suspicion, but him waking up dad and calling could have caused the phone to ring and wake up brother early if that were the case. There was no way of knowing the deed had already been done. Too risky.

Reactions: HulaNole
Can we just make this a spoiler thread? None of the theories you guys outlined make much sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't even met the killer yet.

Can we just make this a spoiler thread? None of the theories you guys outlined make much sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't even met the killer yet.

I just followed suit. I don't think any are legit yet. Too soon to know

Last edited:

Two things we do know. Only 8 episodes and it was reported not everything is as it seems in this story. But you could be correct it is very early in this short lived show.

Reactions: dmm5157
Two things we do know. Only 8 episodes and it was reported not everything is as it seems in this story. But you could be correct it is very early in this short lived show.

I really hope Turturro ends up being the driving force of the story, uncovering evidence and piecing together the story episode by episode. I feel it'll be two opposing forces (Turturro and the lead investigator) working on opposite sides of the spectrum to come to the conclusion. Lead investigator isn't accepting the evidence so far at face value. Isn't happy with case as-is, which I like.

Would be nice if they don't flash back to the night of anymore, stick strictly with what we know and what is uncovered as the show moves along. Right now no one but the killer knows what happened. And it's possible if the main character did it, even he doesn't know. Interesting premise.

I wouldn't bet the kid did it at all, that would not make for the most interesting resolution.

So rewatched Ep 1 last night, the other black guy walking down the street caught my attention. He stared at Naz and Andrea for a solid 2-3 seconds in a very cold way as they walked up the stairs to her place. And when Det. Box asked Bodie (guy from the Wire) if he was by himself, he paused and said "yeah..." Very suspicious. No idea what the motive could be, but whoever killed her definitely knew her. Looking forward to tonight.

So rewatched Ep 1 last night, the other black guy walking down the street caught my attention. He stared at Naz and Andrea for a solid 2-3 seconds in a very cold way as they walked up the stairs to her place. And when Det. Box asked Bodie (guy from the Wire) if he was by himself, he paused and said "yeah..." Very suspicious. No idea what the motive could be, but whoever killed her definitely knew her. Looking forward to tonight.

Yeah, thought the same thing when wife and I watched it again earlier today.

Yeah, thought the same thing when wife and I watched it again earlier today.

I think it is too obvious as with the father-in-law acting very strange, possible relationship with the stepdaughter maybe, that was introduced last night. Notice again how the brother is in the background in the camera shot as the parents ride away in the car. Also he just happened to be on the computer when the cops came in followed by getting his laptop confiscated by the police which could provide more clues, interesting.

Trying to avoid spoilers like it's the plague. I can't research anything about this show because there are details all over the interwebs.

OR
The girl set him up, wanted to die for whatever reason. She was out trolling for the perfect victim and found this guy.
I've only seen the 1st episode so far, but if she did it to herself wouldn't there be a knife around her body? The knife he grabbed when running out of the house seemed to still be sitting there after their game of hand stab chicken so I'm not sure if it was the actual murder weapon.

I've only seen the 1st episode so far, but if she did it to herself wouldn't there be a knife around her body? The knife he grabbed when running out of the house seemed to still be sitting there after their game of hand stab chicken so I'm not sure if it was the actual murder weapon.

I don't think she "did it" to herself, but the fact that she said, "I can't be alone tonight" leads me to believe she knew she was in trouble and possible even was going to die.

Trying to avoid spoilers like it's the plague. I can't research anything about this show because there are details all over the interwebs.

Agreed. I started reading an interview with Bill Camp (Detective Box) and halfway through a question seemed to be about a future episode so I closed that tab in the browser. That was in The Daily Beast.

I don't mind "spoilers" in this thread if it is about currently aired episodes. But now that I know that info is out on the series I hope those comments stay completely out of the thread.

I am not researching any info as well and anything I come up is just a wild ass guess. Guessing on who done it is all fun for myself with these types of shows.

Last edited:
I don't think she "did it" to herself, but the fact that she said, "I can't be alone tonight" leads me to believe she knew she was in trouble and possible even was going to die.

Correct, I didn't mean to imply she stabbed herself. But that she knew it was coming and wanted it to happen in some kind of weird way.

But that was last week. I'm clueless about who the culprit is this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT