ADVERTISEMENT

Here is the Ultimate BBQ List/Bracket

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
I have to say...this original bracket of 32 "BBQ" (as some places like Johnsons Boucanerie, Chaps Pit Beef and even Rendezvous technically don't constitute indirect low and slow methods I call BBQ) places is basically my personal 32 favorite "BBQ" places. This was not written by me but very easily could have been. Seriously, I just went to the Dali Museum again in St Pete a week or so ago and they covered where Dali went to a premier of a surrealist movie and in the middle of it jumped up and threw a giant hissy fit and said basically "How dare he enter my dreams and steal my thoughts to make this." I didn't understand that until now...but the author here stole my dreams!!!!!!

Even the "losers" like Pierce's Pitt, Chaps Pit Beef (not BBQ but absolutely AMAZING roast beef sandwiches with "tiger sauce" aka horseradish and Mayo that blows away Arby's like comparing a McDonalds burger to a Hubert Keller version) and Johnson's Boucanerie (makers of the best boudin I've ever had by FAR in Louisiana) are some of the best places I've eaten.

It does look like my personal favorite BBQ place Red Bridges will lose out in the second round but it's going up against one of my favorite Eastern Carolina places so I'm not that shocked as Red Bridges is less well known amongst the Food Network set.

Side note. I wouldn't call Ted Peters Smoked Fish BBQ either simply because it doesn't have a vinegar based sauce but their fish is low and slow and absolutely amazing. Their smoked mackerel is one of my "hidden" favorite Florida foods and the author must have stolen it directly from my brain! Get out of my brain editor of Garden and Gun!!!!

This post was edited on 3/21 1:23 PM by FSUTribe76

Best bbq list/bracket

I don't see how you can compare places that make incredible brisket and beef rib with hog bbq. Beef tuba takes technique and skill. Hog bbq is easy and all those places just cover it with sauce. Just turible.

Originally posted by Fijimn:
I don't see how you can compare places that make incredible brisket and beef rib with hog bbq. Beef tuba takes technique and skill. Hog bbq is easy and all those places just cover it with sauce. Just turible.
Then by that token, Chaps Pit Beef should win the whole thing. They don't use low and slow but direct heat from a pit and there is no seasoning besides salt. Yet it's the best beef Sammy I've ever had topping the more famous Texas brisket places.

You've never to Franklin's or Killen's They only use salt and pepper. C

You've never to Franklin's or Killen's They only use salt and pepper. C
Franklins but not Killens. And Franklin's isn't just salt and pepper, first he soaks them in a mustard and pickle brine then he uses a 3:2:1 mix of pepper, salt and garlic powder rub. Plus he has a water bottle filled with half water and half Worcestershire that he spritzed before putting it on, during the cooking process and once he pulls it out to rest in the butcher paper. Plus some people claim he soaks it in the beef tallow from the previous day but he denies it.

So while I wouldn't say he's got a ton of spices....Worcestershire has 10 plus ingredients, plus the garlic plus whatever's in the mustard and pickle brine. Meanwhile Chaps is literally just salt according to its creator. And while Franklins is usually soaked in his espresso or vinegar sauce, Chaps is either eaten completely alone or with "Tiger Sauce" which is literally just horseradish and mayo there (some other places add mustard and/or sour cream). So you can list the ingredients at Chaps in its Sammy and sauce on one hand (beef, wood, salt, horseradish and mayo) while you're probably upwards of 20 at Franklins.

Dont get me wrong Franklins is very good. But I've had some Northern Jewish pastrami, Cali tri-tip and Baltimore pit beef I'd take over it. The amazing thing about the pit beef is its so simple and if I did it at home it would probable be awful shoe leather.

There's plenty of places that say he uses Worcestershire.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BBQ/comments/1pq061/more_franklin_advanced_techniquekinda/

http://sourcherryfarm.com/2012/05/27/recipe-aaron-franklins-butcher-paper-brisket/

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-133065.html

"From Walsh's book, here's the gist of the Franklin recipe:

-Season USDA Prime brisket with salt and pepper
-Smoke for 6 hours with post oak, fat side up
-After 6 hours temp should be around 165
-Spray with Worcestershire solution (1/4C Wort & 1/4 C Water)
-Wrap in butcher paper for 2 hours and put back on smoker for 2 hours
-Remove and the put in cooler or 200 degree oven for 3-4 hours
-Do toothpick test to slide through fat till effortless.
-If checking temp, it should be 185 minimum, but PREFERABLY as high as 203. He mentions twice that Franklin shoots for internal temperature of 201-203. (Though he obviously does it by feel at this point).
-Cut to serve and don't precut"

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket5.html

Actually had Franklin's brisket a few weeks ago that freefly brought back from texas. Was damn good. And tribe, wanna take a guess at how they suggested to reheat it? Sous vide!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I know Franklin. He only uses salt and pepper with a little paprika for color. It's all about how he trims the meat and the meticulous way he smokes it.

Oh, he spritzes it with (apple cider vinegar or apple juice, I can't remember, and water)

This post was edited on 3/21 10:42 PM by BloodyNoseJose

Originally posted by BloodyNoseJose:
I know Franklin. He only uses salt and pepper with a little paprika for color. It's all about how he trims the meat and the meticulous way he smokes it.

Oh, he spritzes it with (apple cider vinegar or apple juice, I can't remember, and water)

That can't be true, tribe googled it from several reliable sources.

Originally posted by BelemNole:

That can't be true, tribe googled it from several reliable sources.

I don't know him but on his online tutorial he said he uses Louisiana hot sauce to make his spice rub stick.

See about 45 secs in https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew

And in the cookbook Texas Eats Aaron shared his alleged brisket recipe at Franklins specifically saying he used a Worcestershire spritz.

http://hotsweetspicyrecipes.com/franklin-barbeque-a-review/

Either way the real point is....it's good but I'll take the pastrami at Langers or the pit beef at Chaps any day of the week over Franklins. I'd say it was top 20-40 but definitely not in my top 20.

This post was edited on 3/22 11:06 AM by FSUTribe76

Tell me more about trimming the meat.

+1

He's never had Franklin's, I'm sure of it. And Franklin's certainly doesn't brine, nor use anything other than salt and pepper. I might believe the paprika, but I've never tasted it. For all the food he supposedly eats/makes, his palate is shit.

I ate at Franklin's a few weeks ago, it was the best brisket I've ever had, hands down. Everything was good, but the brisket was head and shoulders better than any I'd had before.

As Poop said, I bought a whole one and brought it home, and reheated it suis vide, it was good, but not nearly as good as just off the smoker.

IMG_4434_zpsygzjawni.jpg

Originally posted by FreeFlyNole:
I ate at Franklin's a few weeks ago, it was the best brisket I've ever had, hands down. Everything was good, but the brisket was head and shoulders better than any I'd had before.

As Poop said, I bought a whole one and brought it home, and reheated it suis vide, it was good, but not nearly as good as just off the smoker.
Dude, posting this right before lunch?! That's just mean! So hungry. This pic is sick man, I definitely want to go there now.

IMG_4432_zpsi8bm9jp1.jpg

You hit up any of the BBQ in Lockhart while you were in Austin? I've eaten at all of them, but haven't been back to the Hill country in years.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:40 AM by dmm5157

I went with this on Sunday. Having one of the top 5 BBQ places in the state down the street from my house may be slowly killing me.....

13180_721467471306573_7726377961908676582_n.jpg

Doing brisket well is much more difficult than doing pit beef well. I'm not saying Chaps isn't good, but they aren't doing anything that a number of places in Baltimore do just as well or better.

Chaps didn't invent tiger sauce and everyone serves it. Though the only real way to eat pit beef is will lots of horseradish and a little bbq sauce.

Originally posted by TexSkills:

I went with this on Sunday. Having one of the top 5 BBQ places in the state down the street from my house may be slowly killing me.....
Drool. Love me some beef ribs.
I don't know why beef ribs disappeared outside of Texas. About 20 years ago several places throughout Florida had them. Now you can't find them unless you go out of your way to hunt them down.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

Drool. Love me some beef ribs.
I don't know why beef ribs disappeared outside of Texas. About 20 years ago several places throughout Florida had them. Now you can't find them unless you go out of your way to hunt them down.
Probably a lack of popularity. I make my own at home.

Originally posted by dmm5157:

You hit up any of the BBQ in Lockhart while you were in Austin? I've eaten at all of them, but haven't been back to the Hill country in years.

No, I've been out to the Salt Lick, but wasn't all that impressed.

I'm in Austin this Thursday - Saturday though, I may hit Franklins again, it was that good.

No, I've been out to the Salt Lick, but wasn't all that impressed.

I'm in Austin this Thursday - Saturday though, I may hit Franklins again, it was that good.
Try La Barbeque on the northside or J. Mueller on E. 6th. JMueller's beef ribs are fantastic.

I went to Smitty's, Kreuz, and the City Market down in Luling a few yrs ago when I was working in San Antonio and Austin. All 3 were great, except it took a little getting used to Texas style. Had a few wtf's go through my head as I sat down with the tray wrapped with paper on top and it was all beef bbq with wonder bread, crackers, pickles and no sauce (one place looked at me funny when I asked for some). Got used to it real quick and came to really like the beef ribs and sausage (which you never see in the carolinas, al, ga.)

The only other real bbq joint that I've seen the beef ribs at was in syracuse at dinosaur bbq, but sadly they stopped serving them last time I was there, the server told me it was hard to get quality beef ribs and thr demand just wasnt there. It sucks cause they were huge and tender as hell, I think 2 maybe 3 came out on the plate and everyone would stare as the server walked by. Still like the southern style pork bbq better, but texas style is good in it's own right.
This post was edited on 3/23 5:17 PM by PoopandBoogers

Originally posted by PoopandBoogers:

I went to Smitty's, Kreuz, and the City Market down in Luling a few yrs ago when I was working in San Antonio and Austin. All 3 were great, except it took a little getting used to Texas style. Had a few wtf's go through my head as I sat down with the tray wrapped with paper on top and it was all beef bbq with wonder bread, crackers, pickles and no sauce (one place looked at me funny when I asked for some). Got used to it real quick and came to really like the beef ribs and sausage (which you never see in the carolinas, al, ga.)

The only other real bbq joint that I've seen the beef ribs at was in syracuse at dinosaur bbq, but sadly they stopped serving them last time I was there, the server told me it was hard to get quality beef ribs and thr demand just wasnt there. It sucks cause they were huge and tender as hell, I think 2 maybe 3 came out on the plate and everyone would stare as the server walked by. Still like the southern style pork bbq better, but texas style is good in it's own right.
Suppose I could see how all that could take some getting used to. I'm from San Antonio and that is not a place known for its BBQ at all. Most places (like Rudy's) offer BBQ sauce, but the stuff from Lockhart is a bit more traditional. I didn't find it that unusual an experience, except for maybe Kreuz with the whole meat and sides ordering.

Took me some getting used to regular "Southern" BBQ after my parents moved to Georgia. Had some traveling through Alabama and Florida. Man, I had some terrible BBQ since moving over to the East coast (more bad than good).

Dude, posting this right before lunch?! That's just mean! So hungry. This pic is sick man, I definitely want to go there now.

ec

I will be in Lockhart this summer, which is the best out of the lot there? Or do I need to pace myself to hit several of them?

Originally posted by KLNole:

ec

I will be in Lockhart this summer, which is the best out of the lot there? Or do I need to pace myself to hit several of them?
I don't think any of the BBQ in Lockhart is bad. All of it is good. I would pace yourself and hit several of them.

I'm like dmm. I've had some bad BBQ since moving to the Southeast but there is bad BBQ in Texas too. The best BBQ discovery I made in moving to the Southeast was mustard-based BBQ sauce. I had never seen that before and its now my go-to style of sauce if I use any.

I liked the meats better at Kreuz Market, but the sides are better at Black's. Some of that depends on the time of day you go. We went little later in the day when we were at Black's BBQ, so that might be why the meat was a little dry.

When my wife and I went, we hit two places on our first trip and two places on our next trip.

Tex, I agree about the mustard based BBQ sauce. I love it, especially if it's spicy.
This post was edited on 3/24 9:50 AM by dmm5157

So the results for the next round were posted and Red Bridges (my personal fave) did make it into the Elite Eight. As did Kreuz and Franklins since there's so many Texans on here for some reason. Southern Soul must be doing a massive Social media campaign because there's no way it should have beat out Sweatman's. As far as I'm concerned Sweatman's and Charlotte are the only two things that elevate South Carolina above a nuclear wasteland.

The whole thing is dumb. Rendezvous isn't even the best BBQ in Memphis.

ec

I don't think any of the BBQ in Lockhart is bad. All of it is good. I would pace yourself and hit several of them.

I'm like dmm. I've had some bad BBQ since moving to the Southeast but there is bad BBQ in Texas too. The best BBQ discovery I made in moving to the Southeast was mustard-based BBQ sauce. I had never seen that before and its now my go-to style of sauce if I use any.
I like Black's as well. My favorite in that area is Luling City Market in Luling. Luling is about 15 miles south of Lockhart. You can stop at Buccee's as well (which is a Texas tradition). If you continue on 183 to Hwy 90, Shiner, Texas (home of the Spoetzl brewery and Shiner Bock beer) is about 35 miles away. They are only open during the week.

Suppose I could see how all that could take some getting used to. I'm from San Antonio and that is not a place known for its BBQ at all. Most places (like Rudy's) offer BBQ sauce, but the stuff from Lockhart is a bit more traditional. I didn't find it that unusual an experience, except for maybe Kreuz with the whole meat and sides ordering.

Took me some getting used to regular "Southern" BBQ after my parents moved to Georgia. Had some traveling through Alabama and Florida. Man, I had some terrible BBQ since moving over to the East coast (more bad than good).
C'mon man, don't be such a drama queen. Texas brisket is damn good and I look forward to getting some every time I'm out there, but the sausage sucks and they can't do ribs or even pulled pork worth a damn.

Originally posted by OrlandNole:
Since I'll be there in two weeks, what do you think is the best? I've been to Corky's, Neely's, Central and Cozy Corner and liked none of them as well as Rendezvous. I will say that I prefer Rendezvous lamb ribs to their pork ribs but I love lamb to begin with.

Originally posted by DefNotPanHandler2007:

C'mon man, don't be such a drama queen. Texas brisket is damn good and I look forward to getting some every time I'm out there, but the sausage sucks and they can't do ribs or even pulled pork worth a damn.
The sausage in central Texas is better than anywhere else....considering that the area was founded by Czech's and Germans they kind of know what they are doing.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

Originally posted by OrlandNole:
Since I'll be there in two weeks, what do you think is the best? I've been to Corky's, Neely's, Central and Cozy Corner and liked none of them as well as Rendezvous. I will say that I prefer Rendezvous lamb ribs to their pork ribs but I love lamb to begin with.
Try BBQ shop in Midtown. It's pretty good. The other option is Interstate BBQ. I like them both.

Another option is Gus's Fried Chicken (the downtown location). Not BBQ, but the best fried chicken you'll ever eat.

Originally posted by DefNotPanHandler2007:

The Texas places definitely can't cook a pig. While in Texas for work we went to some place there that had pork ribs and pulled pork (I got a combo to try it all) so bad Sonny's would be ashamed (I've forgotten it's name to history as it was unimpressive, I THINK Salt Lick from looking around on the ole inner tubes but maybe I just had that at the airport, could be Gatlins either way I had horrible pork twice but only count it once as it was in the airport one time). For all of the typical Texan braggadocio about how easy it is to cook pig versus cow....they sure can't cook a pig if their life depended on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT