ADVERTISEMENT

Here is the Ultimate BBQ List/Bracket

Originally posted by Fijimn:
Originally posted by DefNotPanHandler2007:

Originally posted by dmm5157:

Originally posted by PoopandBoogers:

You hit up any of the BBQ in Lockhart while you were in Austin? I've eaten at all of them, but haven't been back to the Hill country in years.

I went to Smitty's, Kreuz, and the City Market down in Luling a few yrs ago when I was working in San Antonio and Austin. All 3 were great, except it took a little getting used to Texas style. Had a few wtf's go through my head as I sat down with the tray wrapped with paper on top and it was all beef bbq with wonder bread, crackers, pickles and no sauce (one place looked at me funny when I asked for some). Got used to it real quick and came to really like the beef ribs and sausage (which you never see in the carolinas, al, ga.)

The only other real bbq joint that I've seen the beef ribs at was in syracuse at dinosaur bbq, but sadly they stopped serving them last time I was there, the server told me it was hard to get quality beef ribs and thr demand just wasnt there. It sucks cause they were huge and tender as hell, I think 2 maybe 3 came out on the plate and everyone would stare as the server walked by. Still like the southern style pork bbq better, but texas style is good in it's own right.
Suppose I could see how all that could take some getting used to. I'm from San Antonio and that is not a place known for its BBQ at all. Most places (like Rudy's) offer BBQ sauce, but the stuff from Lockhart is a bit more traditional. I didn't find it that unusual an experience, except for maybe Kreuz with the whole meat and sides ordering.

Took me some getting used to regular "Southern" BBQ after my parents moved to Georgia. Had some traveling through Alabama and Florida. Man, I had some terrible BBQ since moving over to the East coast (more bad than good).
C'mon man, don't be such a drama queen. Texas brisket is damn good and I look forward to getting some every time I'm out there, but the sausage sucks and they can't do ribs or even pulled pork worth a damn.
The sausage in central Texas is better than anywhere else....considering that the area was founded by Czech's and Germans they kind of know what they are doing.
This. I've ordered sausage from Kreuz several times and I've never found anything in the SE that compares.

Originally posted by OrlandNole:
Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

The whole thing is dumb. Rendezvous isn't even the best BBQ in Memphis.
Since I'll be there in two weeks, what do you think is the best? I've been to Corky's, Neely's, Central and Cozy Corner and liked none of them as well as Rendezvous. I will say that I prefer Rendezvous lamb ribs to their pork ribs but I love lamb to begin with.
Try BBQ shop in Midtown. It's pretty good. The other option is Interstate BBQ. I like them both.

Another option is Gus's Fried Chicken (the downtown location). Not BBQ, but the best fried chicken you'll ever eat.

I haven't eaten at Gus' yet although I've heard nothing but great things about it. I've heard of the others but havent been either. We don't normally go to Memphis that often (although now that my FIL moved to Arkansas that will change at least while I'm still living in Tally), so when we go we usually get BBQ and Dwyer's (which is a must every time we're on Beale Street). The only thing my wife doesn't like about Memphis is the Delta tamales.

Since I'll be there in two weeks, what do you think is the best? I've been to Corky's, Neely's, Central and Cozy Corner and liked none of them as well as Rendezvous.

How in the hell did you not like Central? Found that to be the best in Memphis by far over Corkys and Rendevous. Im sure there are other little momnpop road-side places that are better, as is the case everywhere, but out of the big name memphis joints, Central was tops without question.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I will add that the best bbq I had in Memphis, was when I was there for Memphis in May twice. The same old black guy would set up a stand on Beale st next to the piano bar and sold only pulled pork sandwiches right next to his pit, $5 per styrofoam box. He didnt really talk much, just nodded and laughed. Those are the best bbq places.

Originally posted by
Since I'll be there in two weeks, what do you think is the best? I've been to Corky's, Neely's, Central and Cozy Corner and liked none of them as well as Rendezvous.
How in the hell did you not like Central? Found that to be the best in Memphis by far over Corkys and Rendevous. Im sure there are other little momnpop road-side places that are better, as is the case everywhere, but out of the big name memphis joints, Central was tops without question.
I didn't say I didn't like Central. I liked all of them except possibly Corky's which was still better than Sonnys (my textbook C- BBQ place). I just really love Rendezvous esp for the lamb ribs but their pork ribs are quite good as well. I understand the argument that Rendezvous isn't technically BBQ as they use direct heat, but their results are better than those using the indirect methods so who am I to argue.

I came away with the same feelings as you after trying them while visiting FSUMac a year ago. Central was the winner, hands down.

You hit up any of the BBQ in Lockhart while you were in Austin? I've eaten at all of them, but haven't been back to the Hill country in years.

I went to Smitty's, Kreuz, and the City Market down in Luling a few yrs ago when I was working in San Antonio and Austin. All 3 were great, except it took a little getting used to Texas style. Had a few wtf's go through my head as I sat down with the tray wrapped with paper on top and it was all beef bbq with wonder bread, crackers, pickles and no sauce (one place looked at me funny when I asked for some). Got used to it real quick and came to really like the beef ribs and sausage (which you never see in the carolinas, al, ga.)

The only other real bbq joint that I've seen the beef ribs at was in syracuse at dinosaur bbq, but sadly they stopped serving them last time I was there, the server told me it was hard to get quality beef ribs and thr demand just wasnt there. It sucks cause they were huge and tender as hell, I think 2 maybe 3 came out on the plate and everyone would stare as the server walked by. Still like the southern style pork bbq better, but texas style is good in it's own right.
Suppose I could see how all that could take some getting used to. I'm from San Antonio and that is not a place known for its BBQ at all. Most places (like Rudy's) offer BBQ sauce, but the stuff from Lockhart is a bit more traditional. I didn't find it that unusual an experience, except for maybe Kreuz with the whole meat and sides ordering.

Took me some getting used to regular "Southern" BBQ after my parents moved to Georgia. Had some traveling through Alabama and Florida. Man, I had some terrible BBQ since moving over to the East coast (more bad than good).
C'mon man, don't be such a drama queen. Texas brisket is damn good and I look forward to getting some every time I'm out there, but the sausage sucks and they can't do ribs or even pulled pork worth a damn.
The sausage in central Texas is better than anywhere else....considering that the area was founded by Czech's and Germans they kind of know what they are doing.
I suppose if you're into fatty, kielbasa type sausage. I don't care for it, like at all. Maybe grilled with peppers and onions, but not smoked and served bbq-style like they do. And when served grilled with peppers and onions, Italian sausage is a far superior option.

I always ended up taking a bite and throwing away the sausage I've had at Texas bbq joints.

Ftr, I'm not saying Southern places do sausage better, I'm saying Texas style smoked sausage sucks.

This post was edited on 3/24 11:52 AM by DefNotPanHandler2007

I suppose if you're into fatty, kielbasa type sausage. I don't care for it, like at all. Maybe grilled with peppers and onions, but not smoked and served bbq-style like they do. And when served grilled with peppers and onions, Italian sausage is a far superior option.

I always ended up taking a bite and throwing away the sausage I've had at Texas bbq joints.

Ftr, I'm not saying Southern places do sausage better, I'm saying Texas style smoked sausage sucks.
Hmmm, never thought of Texas sausage as being fatty at all. Kielbasa is polish style sausage. The stuff most consider "Texas Style" sausage is either German or Czech, although I suppose some might be kielbasa. Easy to confuse with the brand Kiolbassa Brand Sausage, which is based out of San Antonio (love that one as well, they carry it at Costco).

I don't really care for Italian sausage (not a fan of all the fennel), so I could see how someone who is used to that type of sausage wouldn't like Texas style sausage.

I've had good pork ribs at plenty of places in Texas, most notably Angelos in Fort Worth. East Texas BBQ places do good pulled pork and pork ribs. Central Texas BBQ is more about beef and sausage.

I will be in Lockhart this summer, which is the best out of the lot there? Or do I need to pace myself to hit several of them?
I liked the meats better at Kreuz Market, but the sides are better at Black's. Some of that depends on the time of day you go. We went little later in the day when we were at Black's BBQ, so that might be why the meat was a little dry.

When my wife and I went, we hit two places on our first trip and two places on our next trip.

Tex, I agree about the mustard based BBQ sauce. I love it, especially if it's spicy.
This post was edited on 3/24 9:50 AM by dmm5157
Great, pacing ourselves it is, we will be driving all around that area between there and the BlueBell ice cream factory, so we will hit as much as we can.

Make sure you check out the chicken ranch in Lagrange....especially if your wife is into that sort of thing.

Re: Here is the Ultimate BBQ List/Bracket (Updated down to Final Two)

Surprisingly, it's down to two. My personal favorite bbq place Red Bridges in Shelby and a new upstart in Birmingham called Saw's. I was really surprised to see Red Bridges make it as I didn't think that many people were aware of it. (My parents and my extended family that live in Shelby actually prefer "Regular" or Alston Bridges BBQ not Red Bridges (two different competing brothers I believe) in the same town.

This post was edited on 4/1 7:30 PM by FSUTribe76

Updated bracket

Re: Here is the Ultimate BBQ List/Bracket (Updated down to Final Two)

So Red Bridges actually won! Color me shocked.

It is %*% good. Now I need a Cheerwine, a pulled pork sandwich with red slaw and some banana pudding to celebrate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT