ADVERTISEMENT

Hockey is back 2017-2018 !!!

IMO, whoever wins Game 5 will also win Game 6. I'm about 60/40 leaning to Tampa right now.
You're probably correct. Unfortunately, whatever mojo my Caps had going there for about a week or so has now completely dissipated.

TB has officially found themselves a hot goalie, Vasy really stood on his head last night. Caps frittering away too may PP opps. Both series are paying dividends, very entertaining and competitive. I had posted early on about the lack of a home ice advantage post season and that continues to be the case.

Is it true Caps gear isn't allowed in parts of the Bolt's barn, or was it a rumor? Seems like I've seen red Jerseys in the background.

Can't wear the colors in the front two rows and 24 oz. beers are $22.

Ended up 4th row on end were Caps shoot 2x.

Goes w/o saying, we need this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: hatsbo
They were given too much leverage in the expansion draft. Idc how skilled the GM is, it shouldn’t have been possible to craft a team that good in an inaugural season.

Hopefully the Lightning ensure midnight has already struck

What a story. Seattle next to get an expansion team so we will see if they were that good at drafting or lucky

They were given too much leverage in the expansion draft. Idc how skilled the GM is, it shouldn’t have been possible to craft a team that good in an inaugural season.

Hopefully the Lightning ensure midnight has already struck
They got a bunch of their best players through trades. McPhee did a great job, everyone in the hockey world knows it. Many of their players out-performed previous stats/stints, so it's most certainly not just the draft rules.

It helped to have a lot of lead time.

Reactions: tcarnole
They got a bunch of their best players through trades. McPhee did a great job, everyone in the hockey world knows it. Many of their players out-performed previous stats/stints, so it's most certainly not just the draft rules.

It helped to have a lot of lead time.

Trades they were able to make thanks to the enormous leverage they were gifted.

They’ve exceeded expectations, but their goalie is Marc Andre Fleury. Let’s not act like the ‘98 Rays managed to win the World Series.

The Lightning did not score a goal since the second period of game 5. And it was a fluky goal on top of it. Pretty much sums up how Washington won the series.

Reactions: EvanNoles
The Lightning also dominated Game 7 more than any other team to actually lose by that scoreline....maybe ever in the history of the sport? Ugh, that was hard to watch in the end, couldn't finish.

Trades they were able to make thanks to the enormous leverage they were gifted.

They’ve exceeded expectations, but their goalie is Marc Andre Fleury. Let’s not act like the ‘98 Rays managed to win the World Series.
Fleury is a player many wanted rid of in Pitt, now he's all of a sudden the second coming? Same player, people come up with reasons to fit a story line.

Most of their guys exceeded performance on past teams. Example is Karlsson who was a mediocre 3rd line center who is now playing vs. better defensive opponents and out-performing his previous play. Again, same player but people like to fit things into little narrative boxes for whatever reason.

The Lightning also dominated Game 7 more than any other team to actually lose by that scoreline....maybe ever in the history of the sport? Ugh, that was hard to watch in the end, couldn't finish.

When Tampa missed that point blank shot right there in the crease and no goalie to defend, you knew it was not the Lightning's game.

Reactions: fsUTampa
When Tampa missed that point blank shot right there in the crease and no goalie to defend, you knew it was not the Lightning's game.

I'm still baffled as to how Gourde failed to score on that. If he'd made any contact at all, it would've gone in - and it was barely moving, yet somehow he whiffed. They also clanged a few off the post that were a fraction of an inch from going in. It was just not their night.

Holtby played well, but gave up a ton of rebounds right in front - that again were just out of reach of someone close by who could've easily put it back on net. Credit to the Caps defense for keeping clear the area in front of the net (and for blocking a ton of shots).

I'm still baffled as to how Gourde failed to score on that. If he'd made any contact at all, it would've gone in - and it was barely moving, yet somehow he whiffed.

He tried rifling it through the net, rather than just tapping it in.

It was a good series between two quality teams, not a great one, no OTs and not as much suspense as playoff games can generate. I found myself neutral picking a winner, which might have contributed to that. Sometimes the puck just doesn't bounce your way, the Bolts with all the close calls in game 7 not hitting the net. Invariably they were outplayed even strength, just like they had done against the Bruins and that was that. Excited thinking about next season, Boston and TB going at it again, with the two Canadian teams nipping at their heels. The Finals should be great, will the Dan Marino of hockey finally hoist the cup, allowing DC to get their first championship since John Riggins rumbled through RFK during the 91 season? Or will the fledgling Vegas team complete a fairybook season for the ages? I'm hoping for the former.

It was a good series between two quality teams, not a great one, no OTs and not as much suspense as playoff games can generate. I found myself neutral picking a winner, which might have contributed to that. Sometimes the puck just doesn't bounce your way, the Bolts with all the close calls in game 7 not hitting the net. Invariably they were outplayed even strength, just like they had done against the Bruins and that was that. Excited thinking about next season, Boston and TB going at it again, with the two Canadian teams nipping at their heels. The Finals should be great, will the Dan Marino of hockey finally hoist the cup, allowing DC to get their first championship since John Riggins rumbled through RFK during the 91 season? Or will the fledgling Vegas team complete a fairybook season for the ages? I'm hoping for the former.

Ignoring everything else you said, focused on John Riggins in 1991 -> uhm, Earnest Byner wants to know why? ;)

If the Caps win the Cup that will be known forever as The Save." However as a former goalie, that kind of save is made fairly often, or at least the attempted save. A quick cross ice pass to a shooter with a open net with the goalie out of position. As a goalie you have two choices depending on how far away the shooter is. As close as Tuch was, Holtby chose the upper body swing with the outstreched stick. If the shooter is further out you might have time to swing your pads over for a kick save or even a blocker save. Obviously with that stick save attempt, you're hoping the shooter is rushed, and doesn't take the second or so to lift the puck high. Of course the longer the shooter waits, the more of the net the goalie is going to cover up. 4 out of 5 times that puck goes in the net, so a lot of luck is involved. Of course LV had several gratuitous bounces in those last few minutes so it balances out. All of that long winded explanation being said, Holtby played a hell of a lot better than the first game.

I'm thrilled, of course, but I'm not going to over-celebrate at this point and jinx it.

Haven't had my favorite team in a (North) American pro sport win a championship since the Braves in '95...Keeping my fingers crossed.

Vegas is reeling, outplaying the Caps for stretches, but just not hitting the back of the net. At this point a likely scenario is a 4-2 Caps series win is likely, which is fine with me. A championship for any kind for the District is more needed than a expansion team coming away with one in it's inceptual year.

*LONG POST*

I was waiting for the Caps' to cross the line before posting this.

To me this run by Ovie (and the Caps) is similar to Jordan's first title. Lost the 1st game and (quite frankly) didn't play well and looked like the situation and nerves got to them. Once the had experienced it, they settled down and cruised the rest of the series. Caps' had a similar Finals' run in that the Game 1 loss they looked nervy and then they settled down and really until game 5, cruised the rest of the way. Like that Bulls' title, the series was over after game 3 (for the Bulls' win you can make an argument it was over after game 2 with 20/20 hindsight).

Situation isn't really the same as Jordan was the unquestioned best player in the NBA when he won his 1st title and it was his 7th year; whereas, it's Ovie's 13th year and he's no longer in the conversation for best player in the league (still a damn good player, but more like in the teens now).

I'm trying to think of a situation where the guy who's carried a franchise as long as Ovie has for the Caps won a title for the 1st time this late in their career. The closest I can come up with off the top of my head is Steve Yzerman, but the gulf b/w where Yzerman was in terms of quality of player and Ovie is huge. i.e. Ovie still a damn good player, whereas Yzerman was still a fine player, I don't think he's at the same level league wide compared to the level Ovie's still at (Rocket Richard winner). Ovie's prime is over, but he can still produce at a high level. eg. I fully expected him to have a huge goals year since he wasn't very good (by his standards) last year. I foolishly thought he'd get 60 -> still 49 is awesome in today's NHL.

Can anyone come up with an example where a guy is still the Franchise and win a title this late in their career for the first time? Let's limit it to player's who are at least 30.

I don't think Elway qualifies since it was Terrell Davis' team when they won.

There are examples where guy's become a 2nd or 3rd guy to win, but not the primary eg. Jason Kidd when he won with Dallas, but Dirk was clearly the guy then. Maybe Dirk qualifies?

Anyways, I'm rambled on long enough.

Congrats to all the Caps' fans on here (surprisingly - at least to me - quite a few).

*LONG POST*

I was waiting for the Caps' to cross the line before posting this.

To me this run by Ovie (and the Caps) is similar to Jordan's first title. Lost the 1st game and (quite frankly) didn't play well and looked like the situation and nerves got to them. Once the had experienced it, they settled down and cruised the rest of the series. Caps' had a similar Finals' run in that the Game 1 loss they looked nervy and then they settled down and really until game 5, cruised the rest of the way. Like that Bulls' title, the series was over after game 3 (for the Bulls' win you can make an argument it was over after game 2 with 20/20 hindsight).

Situation isn't really the same as Jordan was the unquestioned best player in the NBA when he won his 1st title and it was his 7th year; whereas, it's Ovie's 13th year and he's no longer in the conversation for best player in the league (still a damn good player, but more like in the teens now).

I'm trying to think of a situation where the guy who's carried a franchise as long as Ovie has for the Caps won a title for the 1st time this late in their career. The closest I can come up with off the top of my head is Steve Yzerman, but the gulf b/w where Yzerman was in terms of quality of player and Ovie is huge. i.e. Ovie still a damn good player, whereas Yzerman was still a fine player, I don't think he's at the same level league wide compared to the level Ovie's still at (Rocket Richard winner). Ovie's prime is over, but he can still produce at a high level. eg. I fully expected him to have a huge goals year since he wasn't very good (by his standards) last year. I foolishly thought he'd get 60 -> still 49 is awesome in today's NHL.

Can anyone come up with an example where a guy is still the Franchise and win a title this late in their career for the first time? Let's limit it to player's who are at least 30.

I don't think Elway qualifies since it was Terrell Davis' team when they won.

There are examples where guy's become a 2nd or 3rd guy to win, but not the primary eg. Jason Kidd when he won with Dallas, but Dirk was clearly the guy then. Maybe Dirk qualifies?

Anyways, I'm rambled on long enough.

Congrats to all the Caps' fans on here (surprisingly - at least to me - quite a few).
Jim Brown? He was still in his prime when he retired in '65, but Cleveland didn't win a title with him until the year before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT