ADVERTISEMENT

Hockey season is once again upon us!!!!!!

Enjoyable All Star Game(s), Atlantic blew 2 2 on nones, that pretty much did them in. Rask wasn't sharp, but the goalies get abused in this format. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet Alum, the last two seasons we've been in the playoff driver seat with a month to go and tanked. Looks like we have a punchers chance again this year, Marchand is carrying the team on his shoulders. If we don't sneak in, will Julien keep his job? I blame the front office for our short comings. It's frustrating looking around the league and seeing ex Bruins pile up points.

No offense but Marchand is a douche. I cannot believe didn't even give him a hearing for his slew foot in Stralman the other night. Same as he has been fined and suspended for. He is a really good player but goes out of his way to be an idiot and do things like that.

Marchand is tough to like if he isn't playing on your team. I thought earlier this season he did a good job of not getting into the cheap crap but lately had reverted back to it. It is embarrassing for me as a Bruins fan.

Looks like a good call so far firing Claude. Just hate that they have a stupid bye week. WTF is that?

Good to see the Beanpot go to Teddy Danato and the Harvard Crimson. Long time coming for them.

Yeah, the bye week is pretty ridiculous. This somehow came out of the NHLPA accepting the change to the 3 on 3 all-star game last year. This is the most ridiculous idea ever as teams cannot even practice for at very least the first 4 days of this break. Not surprisingly, as of Feb.14th teams in the their first game out of the break are 3-8-1. Guys can't take that much time off the ice and expect to come back in game shape in the middle of the season. Even worse, the Bolts come out of their bye week on Saturday with back to back games. Fortunately they are against Dallas and Colorado.

The Bolts are finally playing decent hockey but last night was a perfect example of why it may be too little, too late for the Lightning. They are 4-0-2 in their last 6 but teams that they are trying to catch all won as well. With quite a few teams above them its gonna be hard unless someone steps back. Last night Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, and the Isles all won. I really do think they are playing some of the best hockey I have seen all year though.

Lightning have some very tough decisions to make over the next week regarding what to do with Bishop & Boyle. They've played well enough the last few weeks to think that they could still make a run into the playoffs - where they'd be entering as a talented, hot team that could realistically have an extended playoff run. But to do so, they almost certainly need to keep both of those two - and they'll most likely then lose them with nothing in return in the free agent market next offseason.

Dealing them prior to the trade deadline could bring a pretty good return, either in the way of prospects or draft picks - but pretty much means abandon ship for this season.

Lightning have some very tough decisions to make over the next week regarding what to do with Bishop & Boyle. They've played well enough the last few weeks to think that they could still make a run into the playoffs - where they'd be entering as a talented, hot team that could realistically have an extended playoff run. But to do so, they almost certainly need to keep both of those two - and they'll most likely then lose them with nothing in return in the free agent market next offseason.

Dealing them prior to the trade deadline could bring a pretty good return, either in the way of prospects or draft picks - but pretty much means abandon ship for this season.
Having watched a small sample size I think Vasilevsky is capable of delivering a Cup (in the context of their great depth at forward). Boyle I do know very well and is an important part of a playoff run due to special teams, defensive zone play, and length. He also comes a lot cheaper than Bishop.

I personally don't think Bishop is going anywhere this season. He is playing GREAT in goal right now having had a tremendous February. I can remember which but he had either the lowest GAA or best save % in the league this month, and was right at the top in the other stat. I think Vasilevsky has showed he is capable going forward, but right now I think they have to ride Bishop if they are going to have a chance. The other issue is there are not a ton of teams in the playoff mix who have big questions as far as a starting goaltender goes. I don't know how big of a market there is for Bishop at this trade deadline. I do not see Boyle being a huge issue either. I really like him and I know the Bolts would like to keep him. I don't think his price tag is huge in the offseason. Good player, and maybe due a little increase, but he is not the top of player that is going to command a huge bump. His stats are flat the last few years, with maybe a little bump this year (depending on how he fares in last 23 games). I think Johnson is the odd man out at the end of the year. I think the guy they will focus on are Palat, Drouin, and Boyle. I think they need to let Sustr go, but may re-sign him if they can get him back a number near where he is now. I think he is soft and slow but at less than $1.5 mil what do you expect. The kid who I really like that has been playing awesome is Dotchin. Love his game.

Barring losses in both of next two games, I think the Bolts hold what they have and try and make the run.

By the way, Stamkos has been skating and taking shots this week, albeit not in practice. Still great to see him on the ice.

Okay after this evenings Lightning game I completely change my statements on whether Bishop is going anywhere. He is healthy, was first off ice at practice, has been red hot lately, had two days rest. All of these signs point toward him starting tonight, yet Vasy got the start. He is getting traded or at very least attempting to be traded. There has been a lot of chatter this evening about Bishop and Johnson to St Louis for Shattenkirk and considerations.

You don't have Brian Boyle on your team for stat lines. There's a reason he gets a decent check and Tampa values him.

You don't have Brian Boyle on your team for stat lines. There's a reason he gets a decent check and Tampa values him.

I agree, but teams don't pay you a ton of money just because you're a good leader. I agree that Tampa wants Boyle to stay and will try to get him back. He does bring more to the table than a stat line, but in pro sports if you don't produce you're gone.

So they trade Bishop for a D prospect (Cernak) and what, I guess, is their backup goalie for the rest of the season. Don't know my h about Cernak, unless he's pretty good I'd have just as soon keep Bishop for the rest of the year then let him walk.

I read a few scouting reports on Cernak this morning and all seem to speak very highly of this kid. Big kid with good skills. If Vasilevsky is going to be the goalie of the future I am okay with throwing him in there right now. I don't know why we would want Bishop to walk for nothing. I really don't see this team making a deep run into the playoffs if we make it in at all. We also got two picks, one of which could be as high as a 2nd rounder if the Kings go deep into the playoffs.

The weirder part of the trade was the Kings wanting Bishop. With Quick back, they now have two starters. I don't know what they are going to do with that, unless they think Quick is not 100%.

Something that I read indicated that the Kings were concerned about riding Quick too hard over the rest of the season; they have a bunch of back to backs and were afraid that he could reinjure the groin if they played him too much, too soon. I think they figured it's a relatively cheap price to upgrade the net for a run at the playoffs - giving up an old keeper and a prospect to get a top-shelf insurance policy, even though he'll almost certainly leave after the season.

Now Boyle. This was another name that was on the list as a possibility. He was gonna be a UFA at end of the year. I really like the fact that Yzerman is getting something for pieces that were going to be UFAs and especially for Bishop who was gone. We are getting decent pricing so far for guys that are rentals. I really like that.

Seems like a good move for both sides. Toronto will be pleased and gives them a better shot at actually doing something for once. He'll work great with Mike Babcock.

Well we didn't mention the genius move to find a taker for Filppula's contract. Getting someone to take that was a great move by Stevie Y. Freed up both cap space, bonus space, and a player we don't have to protect in expansion draft due to his no-trade clause.

Fast forward to two weeks later and the Bolts are 1 point out of a playoff spot. We did have a weird night last week where 3 centers, Johnson, Paquette, and Namestnikov all went down in one game. Namestnikov played last night and the other two are listed as day-to-day so that is good. The team continues to win with the youth as Point scored twice last night. Stamkos also looks like he is making good strides toward making it back. I don't know if this team has the tools right now to make a deep run, but you never know.

Well we didn't mention the genius move to find a taker for Filppula's contract. Getting someone to take that was a great move by Stevie Y. Freed up both cap space, bonus space, and a player we don't have to protect in expansion draft due to his no-trade clause.

Fast forward to two weeks later and the Bolts are 1 point out of a playoff spot. We did have a weird night last week where 3 centers, Johnson, Paquette, and Namestnikov all went down in one game. Namestnikov played last night and the other two are listed as day-to-day so that is good. The team continues to win with the youth as Point scored twice last night. Stamkos also looks like he is making good strides toward making it back. I don't know if this team has the tools right now to make a deep run, but you never know.
What? We thought you had thrown in the towel! Just goes to show it ain't over til it's over...well except for Detroit this year. I honestly hadn't posted in fear of jinxing Boston but since both the Bolts and B's imploded last night... What a strange season it's been, suddenly Boston, TB, Leafs and Isles are hot on Ottawa's tail. Kucherov has been outstanding, Vasi too, until last night, didn't see the game so...Bruins offense has awakened since Cassidy has taken over, seems to have opened up things a little more, it paid dividends until last night, when NOBODY played defense. Marchand and Pasternak have been playing lights out. Bruins have the week from hell starting Monday playing Leafs, Bolts, Sens and Isles, yikes.

Well, just when the Bolts make a run and take a step forward they go and lose 3 in a row and take 2 steps back. Including losing last night at home to Arizona in a game where the Bolts got a lot of SOG, but looked like they were playing with no urgency for much of the game. We are still only 4 points out of the wild card and 5 out of third in the division, but we are running out of runway. We do play Boston twice in the remaining ten along with Toronto as well, so those are 4 point games. Other games are Montreal twice, Detroit twice, Chicago, Dallas, and Buffalo. Its doable but there is no room for error.

Yes, I cursed both teams by posting about them so I'm posting again to reverse the curse...although one of those team's losing streaks will end tomorrow night. I was watching both games last night at a Bdubs, both teams are feeling the pressure now and might be reaching a bit, Boston played well enough against the Leafs and Sens but couldn't pull out either, got a bad late call against the Leafs that resulted in a PP goal. Normally the Leafs are an afterthought to Bruin's fans but not this year. Kucherov and Marchand continue to excel, have really enjoyed watching both in this stretch run.

Bolts get the B's and now must keep playing like they did offensively last night. 9 more games. Lets do this.

Great time of year as the playoffs have started for some teams already. Tampa has a GIH over Boston but less 1 on the Isles.

Looks like a 3-for-1 situation as Toronto looks pretty solid to get in...you have to figure Mike Babcock will prevent any complete collapse.

Out west Chicago is probably the most balanced team in the entire league. I'm rooting for a slight adjustment in the standings so we can have Calgary play Edmonton in round 1. That would be just epic for all us old school fans, and pretty much half of Canada.

Should add that it's pretty amazing to see a player like Connor MacDavid already lead the league in scoring. He won't get much attention out this way but wow.

Bolts get the B's and now must keep playing like they did offensively last night. 9 more games. Lets do this.
Congrats on the win, was pretty confident going in as you hadn't beat us there in forever. Not feeling good about our chances at this point, starting to think these March collapses are the curse of Gump Worsely, lol.

Bruins with a nice streak and clinch a berth. Oddly, both playoff races appear settled with ~3 games to go. Seeding is still up for grabs but the west is done and Toronto is in a solid spot out east.

Hats off to Clarke MacArthur who returned to Ottawa last night after months of concussion issues. Ottawa can make some noise this year. They have one of the top 3 players in the world, other sound D, and Craig Anderson can get streaky hot.

Bruins win the big game they needed to, shutting out the Bolts. Bergy wins all 18 of his face offs . Now there are just 3 teams that don't have an x, y or e in front of their names in the standings, what a finish to the season! Carolina was eliminated by the Isles, they haven't been in the playoffs for 8 straight years now, ouch. Tampa Bay, with it's back against the wall, responds with 2 road wins this week, including the Leafs, and you know Toronto has got to be feeling the pressure, lol. Fun fact: TB has no players that have played in all 80 games this year. Despite Callahan, Stamkos and Bishop leaving they are still in contention. The Isles are still in it at well, but it will take hell to freeze over for them to get in, although stranger things have happened. Like the Bosox coming back from 3 games down to beat the Yanks and go on to the 2004 WS champs. Sorry just wanted to revisit that, lol.

Let the playoffs begin! Lots of surprises the first night. Bruins bite the bullet and sign McAvoy, they didn't really have a choice as their blue liners are injury ridden. He responds nicely, ended up logging the most minutes on the team. Bruins and Rask outlast the initial emotional burst by the Ottawa fans and team, and dominated the third period. Rangers and Lundquist surprise the Habs, Sharks without Thornton, come back from 2 down, win in OT, and the Blues, despite giving up 50+ shots, nip the Wild in OT.

It will take some late-night watching but Edmonton-San Jose is worth a look.

I may have cursed Ottawa because as soon as they look like a team to make noise a bunch of guys get hurt. Boston also has injuries - McAvoy is a very good player and essentially Krug's replacement. We'll see what happens if/when Krug comes back.

A rare event last night: Chicago got out-coached, and it was done at the hands of ol' Peter Laviolette. He had the hawks' breakout stifled and rand the forwards in good areas to help control the game and Chicago's skating. Don't know if it will last but he certainly out-maneuvered Quenneville.

Yes, Chicago has been stumped offensively and are taking the ten count. The Jackets, Wild and Flames are all on the verge of purge. All four games last night went to OT, they've been in abundance these playoffs. Bruins defense now resembles the Providence defense, wait... it is the Providence defense! They're gamely fighting but those last two games really hurt, especially the questionable roughing call in OT. Our money players have got to produce.

The Rangers finally win a home playoff game. Erik Karlsson with another all-world play to possibly save the series for Ottawa. That was a ridiculous play in game 2.

SJ stomps Edmonton 7-0 but otherwise everything else has been very tight, entertaining. Some great hockey all across these lands. The Leafs are fun to watch, a bit reminiscent of Pittsburgh last year in the team skating sense. If Washington gets past this series, watch out as there is not much left in the East that will give them that type of difficulty.

What about the Predators, yeah? Dominant series. Just hope they make it past the 2nd round, but if someone told me that series would have been a sweep, I wouldnt have guessed it would have been on the Preds winning end.

We mentioned the Preds several times, Chicago has been eliminated in the first round yet again. Last night the Oilers sent San Jose packing, another team that might undergo some big changes during the offseason. Watched quite a bit of that series last week, man the Oilers are young! McDavid is a great player. Bruins look like Deckard hanging on to that beam in the last scene of. Blade Runner. What a gutsy performance, despite the refs and injuries still hanging on, Rask has been playing out of his mind, despite the breakaways. Les Habs return home disappointed yet again, I think it's now official, they are the Rangers bitch. Wild and Jackets bow out after two great seasons, Columbus with the memorable winning streak.

Bruins bow out in ot - that's about as tired of a team I've seen in a first round series. Erik Karlsson shows again why he's best in the world. Nice to see MacArthur score the winner.

I'm telling ya Edmonton vs Anaheim is gonna be a lot of fun to watch. These 2 teams can really bring it in the counter attack, the d take chances, and boy do both teams have some snipers.

I wouldn't call Nashville dominant. Rinne was excellent and truth be told Chicago got out - coached... not something you see very often. They match up well with the blues.

I hope Toronto forces game 7 and I doubt anyone outside a single province is upset the habs are out. they sucked anyways

True, Bruins were hanging by a thread, but still had the will. It seemed like they spent a lot of the time killing off penalties and then promptly got one in the OT. Oh well, they didn't have the horses to make a run anyway, not being banged up and Marchand pretty much impotent. You are right about Edmonton Anaheim, should be a kick. I thought Oiler fans were rabid for the first series, not sure if there is another notch for them to put it in, lol.
Caps Pens should be a tight series although you'd think DC would have the edge with Pittsburgh missing two key players on D. But then there is the DC playoff curse hovering...DC in 7. Oilers-Ducks, Ducks are a bit nicked but have home ice, Anaheim in 7. Preds over Blues in 6, Rangers over Senators in 6.

How dumb is the NHL? They have 2 series in the east and 2 in the west. The 2 out east are marquee matchups (NYR have a big following)...and they schedule them to play the same night? Just terrible marketing. You put one 7PM game in the east and pair it with one of the western games. Lunacy.

Edmonton and Anaheim didn't disappoint for those who saw. Tremendous action, Anaheim now have their 2 best D with knee issues. Meanwhile in Nashville the weapon that is PK Subban comes up big and they are getting decent balance. I have no idea what STL was doing half the time with their forecheck, very odd approach they took.

The 2 best in the world with big nights as Crosby goes back to back and Karlsson douses the Rangers. Still can't believe these two games have to compete with one another on TV.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
The supposed underdogs doing well, Ducks get up of the canvas, but will the Caps? Holtby will have to play better. Preds steal one in St Louis and are in good shape. I wish Boston's Subban was a s good as Nashville's. Sens hold serve in a wild one, they should be called the comeback kids.

Crosby injury was pretty dirty. Also changes the prospects of everybody since they likely were cruising to the next round (and perhaps the Cup itself). With him out (and I'd be surprised if he didn't have a concussion based on what I saw) for any length of time, and they might not be able to get by the Caps (and it definitely gives the Caps confidence as they don't have to worry about Sid winning the series himself).

Been some tremendous action, Marc-Andre Fleury is the Conn Smythe winner right now. Of course a long way to go, Pitt already had injury issues.

Ottawa and NYR is just wild, Erik Karlsson also got hurt significantly...able to play but it changes their entire team.

Crosby injury was pretty dirty. Also changes the prospects of everybody since they likely were cruising to the next round (and perhaps the Cup itself). With him out (and I'd be surprised if he didn't have a concussion based on what I saw) for any length of time, and they might not be able to get by the Caps (and it definitely gives the Caps confidence as they don't have to worry about Sid winning the series himself).

I honestly don't see it that way and I have no dog in the fight. For some reason Crosby was going down. When you look at it in super slow mo it actually looks like he may be flopping. Niskanen is coming in and there is no way to avoid that collision.

All in all, playoffs have been very good so far this year. Even how some of the first series were lopsided, the games themselves were pretty darn good. Even with the bolts out this is still the best hockey to be had.

Potentially devastating to Pens, looked like an easy round to conf finals. No way without Crosby and all their injuries.

Hit was awful, he was first cross checked which is why he lost his balance and was slipping, lucky didn't tear his knee. But the second hit was scary dirty. It happened fast sure, but I expect a long suspension.

Fleury has been abnormally good so far but once Murray healthy hes still only shot in last two rounds.

Pens must win game 4, Crosby supposedly at least up and about today, better sign than last concussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT