ADVERTISEMENT

How's the heat in your town this week?

That sounds wonderful.
Back when we were living in Dallas the August weather got the best of us one year. I walked into a travel agent’s office (remember those?) and walked out with a one week package to Lake Tahoe. Airfare to Reno, rental car and a condo on the lake.
Temp was 106 when we took off from DFW and when we got to our condo the temperature was 80. Snow still in small spots on top of the mountains. One whole week in heaven. Kids wore sweatshirts at night. Still one of my favorite vacations.
The mountain lakes really are wonderful. They have been my weekend vacation spots for years, and I have seriously considered building a cabin up there. I just can not make up my mind regarding which lake. We go to Lake Tahoe a couple of times per year for weddings/work, and it's always lovely. I tend to prefer the smaller lakes, though. In August, we are going to spend a weekend up near Clear Lake.

The mountain lakes really are wonderful. They have been my weekend vacation spots for years, and I have seriously considered building a cabin up there. I just can not make up my mind regarding which lake. We go to Lake Tahoe a couple of times per year for weddings/work, and it's always lovely. I tend to prefer the smaller lakes, though. In August, we are going to spend a weekend up near Clear Lake.
Currently 66 Degrees here in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, it is off and on rain. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ Went for a swim this morning in our local pond. Was 60 degrees at 7:30AM

They’re out riding their bicycles.
A lot of us actually are. I ride more miles than I drive most weeks. As for EVs and hybrids, as I have shared before, most of the people in my immediate family have either a hybrid or an EV, including me. That holds true for our social circle of friends and colleagues, as well. Given that the Tesla Model Y was the best-selling model in the world last year, it seems that many people find EVs compelling enough to vote with their wallets.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Currently 66 Degrees here in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, it is off and on rain. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ Went for a swim this morning in our local pond. Was 60 degrees at 7:30AM
I love that part of the country. We were in Vermont in the middle of last summer and were pleased to need to keep the fireplace going in the evenings. The afternoon humidity and the associated bugs, though, caught me off-guard.

A lot of us actually are. I ride more miles than I drive most weeks. As for EVs and hybrids, as I have shared before, most of the people in my immediate family have either a hybrid or an EV, including me. That holds true for our social circle of friends and colleagues, as well. Given that the Tesla Model Y was the best-selling model in the world last year, it seems that many people find EVs compelling enough to vote with their wallets.
Ford F Series, Chevy Silverado and Dodge Ram trucks all outsold the Tesla Model Y in the US last year. For that matter so did the Rav 4.

Reactions: F4Gary
I ride more miles a week on my bike than I drive as well. However, I still own 3 gas cars and a truck. My circle of friends and family all drive gas vehicles except one. She had a Tesla, but it caught on fire at the charging station.

• Haha
Reactions: F4Gary
They’re usually social cast off types. Remember the kids who ate by themselves in the cafeteria or with the other two who had nose rings? Yeah, them.
When I was in high school, the girls with the nose rings were definitely the queen bees, and they definitely did not eat by themselves. My brother and sister-in-law have been in the body modification scene since way back, and they have always been a lot cooler and more socially active than my much more traditional "sports and trivia" social scene.

• Haha
Reactions: GeddyLee09
When I was in high school, the girls with the nose rings were definitely the queen bees, and they definitely did not eat by themselves. My brother and sister-in-law have been in the body modification scene since way back, and they have always been a lot cooler and more socially active than my much more traditional "sports and trivia" social scene.
Good for them. 😉

Good for them. 😉
Definitely! I was always a bit worried about their future job prospects, because I had always heard, and in some ways bought into, the traditional rhetoric. Yet, they have done very well for themselves, and they seem to have had a lot more fun and lot less stress than I did following the traditional path. I really admire that about them, and I find their self-assurance to be inspiring.

Lake Tahoe is one of my fave places on earth. Absolutely beautiful.

Lake Tahoe is one of my fave places on earth. Absolutely beautiful.
Got married there. Chapel O' the Pines on the shore of L. Tahoe. We used to go fishing in some of the really remote lakes. Upper and Lower Spencer lakes are a couple I remember. My family called the feather river area home from the 40's to the 80's. Camp Layman on highway 70.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
It's interesting too that all the folks on here pushing EV use none of them have said they actually drive one.
If you want to convince somebody to act in a certain way, its far more effective to practice what your preach or be a living example of the change you want others to follow.

Unrelated example: to promote tolerance and condemn others for their supposed intolerance and then say things like "I never claimed to be universally tolerant" or "I'm intolerant to intolerance" or "It's not that I don't like you..... oh wait, yes, yes it is" is kind of like the philandering minister who preaches the importance of fidelity in marriage. LMFAO

Last edited:
If you want to convince somebody to act in a certain way, its far more effective to practice what your preach or be a living example of the change you want others to follow.

Unrelated example: to promote tolerance and condemn others for their supposed intolerance and then say things like "I never claimed to be universally tolerant" or "I'm intolerant to intolerance" or "It's not that I don't like you..... oh wait, yes, yes it is" is kind of like the philandering minister who preaches the importance of fidelity in marriage. LMFAO
To be fair one poster did state that they drive a hybrid or EV, but I agree there are many examples on here of do as I virtue signal not as I do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT