ADVERTISEMENT

I’m a vaccine test dummy

That’s great! My brother is doing the Moderna study. Got his initial shot on Friday. He will be monitored for the next 2 years.
I also remember you had some family members that were running fevers a week or so ago. Hope they have recovered and back to good health.

If they didn't give the placebo I would've been all in but I did not want to get the placebo

Are you going to be one of those people that have the 50 side effects worse than death you hear about on those commercials?

If they didn't give the placebo I would've been all in but I did not want to get the placebo

0% is < 50% - you gotta roll the dice man!

Surely if you got the placebo they'd let you know once the vaccine is released so you can get the real thing. It's not double-blind forever

I’m chuckling at the thought of you keeping an actual daily diary detailing the ups and downs of life and turning that in.

Reactions: Gonoles24
It’s not a daily diary just a weekly checkin using an app to indicate if I’ve had any flu like symptoms.

What if you actually get the flu? Not from the shot just in ordinary life like before the China Virus.
Do they give you a Dr. to go to in order to determine it's just the flu?

Reactions: MoreToPrideNole850
They gave me a number I can call anytime to report illness and talk to a doctor affiliated with the trial. You can go anywhere and get a flu test in minutes though. If I’m very sick they also gave me a card that I can give to any healthcare provider which I think has a mechanism for them to determine whether I actually got the covid vaccine to help with treatment. They said only a doctor is supposed to use the card. So far I’ve had zero symptoms so I’m thinking maybe I got the placebo.

Reactions: F4Gary
So I’ve been thinking of a way to determine whether I got the vaccine or placebo. If I go get a covid antibody blood test wouldn’t antibodies show up if I got the vaccine?

Reactions: 407nole
So I’ve been thinking of a way to determine whether I got the vaccine or placebo. If I go get a covid antibody blood test wouldn’t antibodies show up if I got the real thing?
Within few weeks it would show up. I have been told the researchers don’t want the patients to know if they are protected or not as it will undoubtedly affect outcomes.

There’s nothing stating I can’t do that in the consent but I’ll wait it out. I’d imagine I’ll know by November if the vaccine timeframe estimates are accurate.

No effects. Honestly couldn’t tell the difference as to whether I got the placebo or the real thing. Maaaaaaaybe a little fatigue the first day or two but nothing I would have noticed if I wasn’t thinking about it. I’m going again on the 5th for a booster.

Apparently Moderna is saying they’ll have Stage III results by 10/27. I guess they need a certain amount of infections within the study population before they can say if the vaccine worked. Fingers crossed for good results from both Moderna and Pfizer.

I wouldn’t do it, but appreciate the bravery of those who are participating. Thank you!!

Same thing. Maybe a little fatigue last night but other than that good to go. I asked a lot of questions at the doctors office yesterday. Just the nature of what I do. One of the nurses told me that 90% of the people that go in there report no symptoms after injections (including placebo and vaccine). They said if you don’t get a reaction to the flu shot, which I don’t, then you most likely won’t get one for Pfizer’s vaccine either. Thought that was interesting.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Same thing. Maybe a little fatigue last night but other than that good to go. I asked a lot of questions at the doctors office yesterday. Just the nature of what I do. One of the nurses told me that 90% of the people that go in there report no symptoms after injections (including placebo and vaccine). They said if you don’t get a reaction to the flu shot, which I don’t, then you most likely won’t get one for Pfizer’s vaccine either. Thought that was interesting.
Have they given you any indication (I assume not) of where they’re at with enrollments? Sounds like Pfizer is ahead of Moderna with J&J possibly being a dark horse bc their vaccine is only one dose.

Agree with the poster who said you are an adult that can make their own decisions.
Having said that, no chance I'd do it.

Woke up with a wicked sore throat today. I went and got a rapid test and it came back negative so I guess the garden variety illness. The vaccine clinic still wants me to test through them if I’m still sick tomorrow.

Spearhead, at what point will they tell you whether you got the vaccine or the placebo?

Reactions: goldmom
I don't know how you keep from being overly sensitive to every ache, pain or cough doing that test like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT