ADVERTISEMENT

I'm doing my first Brisket this weekend....

ha. cook it 140 internal temp and you will be eating shoe leather. you need to go a lot higher to get it tender and break down most of the fat and collagen.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
But, but you're suppose to cook brisket over indirect heat for incredibly long hours whilst trying to maintain close pit temperatures in incredibly hot Florida heat.

Speaking of sous vide...I was a believer after reading about it on here and a couple tries. I even bought the Anova circulator and a vacuum sealer. The more I do it though, I've been MUCH less satisfied with steaks after additional cooks, and that's the main reason I started doing it. I may need to calibrate to make sure the circulator is actually keeping the temperature it claims, but I'm getting relatively close to just selling it off and being done with it.

It's not the less hassle that it purports to be, it's more hassle, and I'm rarely getting a better steak than I would expect grilling it myself. I'm sure it could be done better, but any additional steps or techniques or products are just going to add to the hassle. I know my way around a grill pretty much, and I'm prepared to live with an A- steak if it's so much more convenient than a theoretical A+ steak.

Lou, you must be having a problem with your circulator. There is no better way to make a steak than Sous Vide. Not only does it keep 96 per cent of it's weight, it is cooked perfectly. Are you searing it after? Love me a sous vide filet, finished either on the grill or seared in a skillet.

Actually, it's often done at night so it will be ready for lunch.

Yep, I usually start mine around 9PM to Midnight the night before (depending on size), first few hours of smoke are critical. After that, it's less about the smoke and more about the temp.

Too much smoke without enough circulation or using the wrong wood (NEVER smoke your brisket with mesquite) can make your brisket bark come out bitter and tasting like tar. You can usually prevent that by wrapping in foil for the last few hours until you hit the proper internal temp (around 195 to 200 degrees) to keep the meat from getting too much smoke.

Brisket then comes off the smoker around 2PM the next day, then 2-3 hours of resting wrapped in heavy duty foil in a cooler, then carve around 5PM.

Speaking of sous vide...I was a believer after reading about it on here and a couple tries. I even bought the Anova circulator and a vacuum sealer. The more I do it though, I've been MUCH less satisfied with steaks after additional cooks, and that's the main reason I started doing it. I may need to calibrate to make sure the circulator is actually keeping the temperature it claims, but I'm getting relatively close to just selling it off and being done with it.

It's not the less hassle that it purports to be, it's more hassle, and I'm rarely getting a better steak than I would expect grilling it myself. I'm sure it could be done better, but any additional steps or techniques or products are just going to add to the hassle. I know my way around a grill pretty much, and I'm prepared to live with an A- steak if it's so much more convenient than a theoretical A+ steak.

I've had just the opposite experience. I have done things like Beef ribs and chuck steaks for 24 hours and been blown away by how tender and deeply flavored they have been (done with marinades then seared). Eggs, various sauces done sous vide, for me, it has been a game changer. Also for big meals doing things like potatoes in advance and bagging them, along with veggies and then just using the water bath to heat them for dinner has cut down on my running around like a chicken with my head cut off when I have 10 people at home to entertain....

I bought another one, so now I have two. Total game changer for me.

I'll still through a filet on the grill, I like them Rare, so basically I just sear them and don't mind a cool (raw) center at all.

Reactions: dmm5157
Great call on the brisket. It's been a few month since I've smoked something. Might have to do...not brisket though, to risky for me. Maybe a boston buttocks.

Let us know how it turns out.

Lou, you must be having a problem with your circulator. There is no better way to make a steak than Sous Vide. Not only does it keep 96 per cent of it's weight, it is cooked perfectly. Are you searing it after? Love me a sous vide filet, finished either on the grill or seared in a skillet.

It does appear to me that my circulator is running about 5-7 degrees hotter than it says.

I'm definitely searing it, and that's another thing nobody tells you on these sites...it's not at all easy to get a good sear. On cast iron, it's difficult to be hot enough for a good sear without smoking out the house, and it takes some precision to get a grill hot enough to put a good sear on the steak quickly enough to not cook it at all. I've had my grill at 700-800 on cast iron grates, and it's still not like it sears in 20 seconds or something. The amount of work it takes to sear it is almost as much as it takes to just grill it. And you're defeating the purpose of the sous vide if it takes more than a short time to sear.

I also don't like the fact that salt and pepper on a sous vide steak before the sear doesn't taste as good as on a raw steak before you cook it. I know if you're depending on the seasoning too much you're doing it wrong anyway, but still, there's a notable difference in that.

I don't doubt that when done perfectly it can produce the best possible steak. But the marginal difference, given the hassle, isn't really worth it so far. I know my way around a steak...I mess one up once in a while, but I've never ever made a steak that looks like the ones they show in the comparison pictures for why you should sous vide. Maybe if that's how I was cooking steaks, I'd be more enthusiastic.

Plus, I'm dealing with multiple people who like different doneness, so that compounds the planning and hassle considerably. There's definitely something to be said for deciding you want a steak at 4, and being able to run to the store and take it off and eat it at 5pm.

I did a top round roast for 10 hours, with no discernible difference over the oven. "Well, you need to do it 16 hours." I'm just not going to be doing overnight or 2-3 day cooks that often.

I'm not against it or a non-believer, and I would be more into it if it was more of a hobby to me and less required to be a functional part of my day. But it's just not a great fit for my lifestyle for a marginal improvement. There's probably something to be said for the fact that after 30+ years of having steaks grilled, the mouth feel of "96% of it's weight" tastes too spongy for me. Blame that on my palate, not the process.

Oddly, there is one cut that it makes a considerable difference for me, those sirloin "filets" that are just the trimmed heart of a sirloin steak. For some reason, those come out about 20% better/tastier with sous vide. Much bigger difference than with the other cuts I've tried.

Doing flank steak that are vacuum sealed with herbs. on a 12 hour soak. I'll brush off the herbs before the sear. You may be using the wrong oil if you are smoking up the house that bad...coconut or grape seed are good to use.

I was cooking a pork tenderloin in the sous when I cut my finger. So it got a 4 hour soak instead of the two I wanted. I had sealed it with some montreal seasoning and inserted slices of garlic. once done, cut them into filet size and cooked them like steak au poivre....really really good.

Lou, I completely understand about the searing. Actually bought a blow torch last Christmas just for that. Besides, who doesn't want to have a blow torch in the kitchen.

I love it mostly for chicken. Any way I try, i cannot make chicks as tender as in the sous vide. Love veggies too. Done short ribs, baby backs, brisket. All were great, just miss the smoke flavor on the latter 2. Plus it doesn't feel the same drinking a beer standing next to a kitchen appliance.
I still do it though.

I've had just the opposite experience. I have done things like Beef ribs and chuck steaks for 24 hours and been blown away by how tender and deeply flavored they have been (done with marinades then seared). Eggs, various sauces done sous vide, for me, it has been a game changer. Also for big meals doing things like potatoes in advance and bagging them, along with veggies and then just using the water bath to heat them for dinner has cut down on my running around like a chicken with my head cut off when I have 10 people at home to entertain....

I bought another one, so now I have two. Total game changer for me.
Beef ribs and chuck steak at loaded with fat. No way am I cooking them with a method that isn't gonna render and eliminate some of that fat. Either it needs to drip off or be skimmed off the pot. Sous vide is a fine method, but it's not a good application for everything. I would only use it for lean meats such as filet mignon, maybe sirloin or top round, but never such a fat laden cut as a chuck.

Reactions: dmm5157
I like to bury my steaks in the backyard for 36 hours before searing them. Gives them a natural, earthy flavor.

Lou, I completely understand about the searing. Actually bought a blow torch last Christmas just for that. Besides, who doesn't want to have a blow torch in the kitchen.

I love it mostly for chicken. Any way I try, i cannot make chicks as tender as in the sous vide. Love veggies too. Done short ribs, baby backs, brisket. All were great, just miss the smoke flavor on the latter 2. Plus it doesn't feel the same drinking a beer standing next to a kitchen appliance.
I still do it though.

I will say that their effect on chicken breasts was very noticeable and impressive, I should have noticed that. Agree that the difference there is absolutely more than marginal. We just haven't done those in a while. Besides calibrating the circulator temperature, I just might have to eschew it for steaks (what I was thinking of when I got into it), and expand my horizons on what it's used for.

I will say that their effect on chicken breasts was very noticeable and impressive, I should have noticed that. Agree that the difference there is absolutely more than marginal. We just haven't done those in a while. Besides calibrating the circulator temperature, I just might have to eschew it for steaks (what I was thinking of when I got into it), and expand my horizons on what it's used for.
140 degrees?!? LOL. That brisket needs to be cooked low and slow, 225 degrees or so until internal temp is 200 degrees. Then, separate the point from the flat, cut the point into 1X1 inch cubes, sauce them a little and put them back in for 4 more hours. Burnt ends, heaven's gift to BBQ Brisket!!

I have a noob brisket smoking question. Do you guys smoke the flat cut or do you go for the point? Or packers cut?
140 degrees?!? LOL. That brisket needs to be cooked low and slow, 225 degrees or so until internal temp is 200 degrees. Then, separate the point from the flat, cut the point into 1X1 inch cubes, sauce them a little and put them back in for 4 more hours. Burnt ends, heaven's gift to BBQ Brisket!!

Pretty sure he was talking about shady women and not brisket. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that Tribe probably knows about slow cooking meat.

Apparently, I'm going to have to type my jokes slower for some of you.

Beef ribs and chuck steak at loaded with fat. No way am I cooking them with a method that isn't gonna render and eliminate some of that fat. Either it needs to drip off or be skimmed off the pot. Sous vide is a fine method, but it's not a good application for everything. I would only use it for lean meats such as filet mignon, maybe sirloin or top round, but never such a fat laden cut as a chuck.
I have a noob brisket smoking question. Do you guys smoke the flat cut or do you go for the point? Or packers cut?

I buy whole briskets and separate the flat and point. I use a vertical electric smoker for my briskets and it can't fit the whole brisket pre-cooked so I separate the two and put the point above the flat so the drippings fall on the leaner flat.

Burnt ends are good, but let's be honest. They are popular in KC, because they can't cook brisket right to start with. That's why you don't see them in Texas.

Burnt ends are good, but let's be honest. They are popular in KC, because they can't cook brisket right to start with. That's why you don't see them in Texas.

This, and personally I don't like any sauce on my brisket unless it's chopped. If cooked properly brisket and all bbq should stand out alone, sans sauce.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

I highly disagree there. It does melt out a good bit of the fat, that is left in the bag as au'jus. I have made some of the best gravies of my life with these juices for mashed potatoes and veggies and for au'poive. I have done red wine reductions, umame salty reductions with fish sauce, worsestershire and veggimite, mushroom gravies. Or just a simple beefy gravy. Or just the drippings poured into the rice pot and stirred before serving. It has been awesome.

It turned out pretty amazing, fork cut tender, rich smokey flavor. The rub was nice. I invited my neighbor over because he is always smoking brisket, he said it was the best he's ever had.

Pics of the succulent juicyness
11850634_10154125048550410_2445461737588055651_o.jpg

11907207_10154125048430410_3676222652218600185_o.jpg
11885659_10154125048425410_6671524030694806659_o.jpg

This is right when it was pulled from the oven after being Sous Vide cooked for 24 hours, I did 3 hours in the oven to create the "Bark", let it sit for about 30 mins to set up nicely.
11891201_10154125048410410_4897652298223700769_n.jpg

This is right when I took it out of the sealed bags from the Sous Vide, I patted them dry then applied a mixture of molassas, liquid smoke and liquid aminos for both flavor and to make the surface tacky for the rub.
11888611_10154125048415410_1645613118521691289_o.jpg

This is what it looked like after the rub was applied and it went into the oven on the lifted grate so that the juices dripped free.
11230044_10154125048420410_5008814307900309744_o.jpg

The brine was salt, liquid smoke and liquid aminos, brined for 3 days and injected.
11894546_10154125048540410_2648221815532479951_o.jpg

Here she is in the buff before I got started, 13.5 lbs.
11058497_10154125048545410_8165700395967109111_o.jpg

Looks good, but based on what you posted there was no smoking involved. Is that correct? So it was essentially a baked brisket? What was the flavor?

Curious what you mean by "fork tender". Hopefully the slices and not the whole brisket. I'd think being too tender as a whole would make slicing difficult. Kinda like having "fall off the bone" ribs.

FF, the finished brisket looks amazing. After it comes out of submersion cooking is it good to eat or does it need the oven to finish and not just for appearance finishing.

FF, the finished brisket looks amazing. After it comes out of submersion cooking is it good to eat or does it need the oven to finish and not just for appearance finishing.
Don't know what FF will answer, but yes it is 'cooked' when it comes out. You can eat it. Problem is due to the cooking process, it looks like garbage. You have to sear or torch it, or do something. People eat with their eyes so to speak and the look of it would make it unappetizing.

Looks good, but based on what you posted there was no smoking involved. Is that correct? So it was essentially a baked brisket? What was the flavor?

Curious what you mean by "fork tender". Hopefully the slices and not the whole brisket. I'd think being too tender as a whole would make slicing difficult. Kinda like having "fall off the bone" ribs.
He used liquid smoke. That gave it BBQ flavor.

If you watch the video I attached with the post that started the thread you will see exactly what I did. I didn't deviate from the recipe or technique at all.

(Here is is again for those of you too lazy to scroll, the video is at the very top of the page)

Desi, the smoke flavor came from the brine (smoked salt, liquid aminos (soy sauce substitute) and liquid smoke). In addition to brineing it I liberally injected it with the brine solution. Then the glaze is smoky too, (liquid smoke, molasses, and liquid aminos), the rub itself has a nice smoked flavor, provided by the smoaked salt and smoked paprika.

If I served this to you without telling you about the cooking technique, the smoke ring (which is created by the addition of a Prague Salt solution) and the smoky flavor, 90 out of 100 people would guess it was smoked.

I'd say the advantage this has is that the cooking is absolutely even. Probably as close to perfection as possible.

As for "Fork tender", you are right, it was firm enough to uniformly slice (see pics) the proteins in the muscle weren't denatured enough to loose the bonds and turn it into mush, just enough so when you had a slice you could get through it with a fork without much effort, and the intramuscular fat was reduced to a creamy mouth feel.

Overall, it was a good amount of effort, and the ingredients were quite expensive, but the end product was a show stopper if you like brisket. I'd still say Franklin's BBQ is the best I've ever had, but this was damn close.

logo-desktopcondensedstickynav@2x.png

If it’s a good, hard sear you’re after, there’s nothing quite like a kitchen torch. Do you need a torch to make perfectly-crusted chops, steaks, and more? No—but once you give the Searzall a try, we bet you’ll become a convert. And plus, it’s only $75. Check out our reasons why the Searzall rocks—and why you totally need one in your life.
MORE: LINKY

Searzall-Dave-Arnold.jpg

Buy Here - LINKY

graceful_bow.gif

bonus

Last edited:
Reactions: skramer100
If you watch the video I attached with the post that started the thread you will see exactly what I did. I didn't deviate from the recipe or technique at all.

(Here is is again for those of you too lazy to scroll, the video is at the very top of the page)

Desi, the smoke flavor came from the brine (smoked salt, liquid aminos (soy sauce substitute) and liquid smoke). In addition to brineing it I liberally injected it with the brine solution. Then the glaze is smoky too, (liquid smoke, molasses, and liquid aminos), the rub itself has a nice smoked flavor, provided by the smoaked salt and smoked paprika.

If I served this to you without telling you about the cooking technique, the smoke ring (which is created by the addition of a Prague Salt solution) and the smoky flavor, 90 out of 100 people would guess it was smoked.

I'd say the advantage this has is that the cooking is absolutely even. Probably as close to perfection as possible.

As for "Fork tender", you are right, it was firm enough to uniformly slice (see pics) the proteins in the muscle weren't denatured enough to loose the bonds and turn it into mush, just enough so when you had a slice you could get through it with a fork without much effort, and the intramuscular fat was reduced to a creamy mouth feel.

Overall, it was a good amount of effort, and the ingredients were quite expensive, but the end product was a show stopper if you like brisket. I'd still say Franklin's BBQ is the best I've ever had, but this was damn close.

Ah, gotcha. I missed the part about liquid smoke. Very interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT