ADVERTISEMENT

In your opinion what's the best movie ever?

Lou, a few years ago you gave some great advice about marriage. I think you said that one should pick their "5 non-negotiables" and then should "Yes dear" everything else.

Could you let me know? My brother got married a year ago and I was telling him your advice. Thanks.

Yeah that's basically my primary advice in marriage, for having peace and tranquility. And peace and tranquility and getting your own way sometimes, versus getting your way 50+% of the time and constant conflict, that's an easy choice for me.

Don't know that I said it has to be five specifically, but that's a pretty good number. Should definitely make sure those things are clear going in, not fair to spring any surprises. If someone has more than a handful or two of inflexible points, they should really second guess marriage. Obviously, I'm not counting things like infidelity, abuse, substance abuse, etc toward that.

But I've seen too many guys willing to go to the swords over which wall to put an end table on or how to load a dishwasher, crap they shouldn't possibly care about enough to fight about.

Reactions: Lurker1999
I like Search for the Holy Grail well enough, but as it came out before I was born and I’m not British, it wouldn’t make my top 50. Nor does Shawshank or Godfather. But all of those would probably be in a top 100 list.
Yes top 50 or 100 but that's very different from top 1.

Magic Johnson will make a bunch of top 50 or 100 lists but rarely be mentioned as #1 all time. Huge difference so that's why you don't see certain movies.

They're good but not all time #1 good

I've always been a huge Silence of the Lambs guy, used to probably be in my top 2-3. On recent viewings, it's slipping a bit for me. Still GREAT but maybe just hanging in my top ten. That's one of the next ones up for me to watch with my son...I'll see if I come back up on it.

I've always been a huge Silence of the Lambs guy, used to probably be in my top 2-3. On recent viewings, it's slipping a bit for me. Still GREAT but maybe just hanging in my top ten. That's one of the next ones up for me to watch with my son...I'll see if I come back up on it.
It's easy to focus on the big stuff but that movie had tremendous nuance. Worth a revisit.

By the way, inspired by this, last night I watched a movie that is usually considered in the top few of all time but I'd never made myself watch it. Sunrise, from 1927. Silent film.

That movie was definitely a trip. While I can definitely watch very old movies like a Citizen Kane or Casablanca or something and rate them on the very same terms as anything that came after, silent film is just too far for me to do that.

I see why it's great, and the film making is at times remarkable for the era, even to someone like me that's not that educated. But it's just too...different from what came even just 15 years later. I can compare Citizen Cane to The Godfather no problem...I just can't do it with something from the 20s, even if I really like it.

I have to say, even with the weirdness of a silent film, things that make you kind of snicker at times, the climax of the movie in the last 15-20 minutes sure did rope me in like any more modern movie would.

I haven't watched that many silent films, but I definitely think The General from Buster Keaton is a masterpiece. And my favorite silent film is Keaton's Sherlock, Jr. That holds up amazingly well for me as a comedy...really slick gags in that thing. If anybody wanted to try a silent film just to say they watched one, Sherlock Jr all the way.

It's easy to focus on the big stuff but that movie had tremendous nuance. Worth a revisit.

Definitely...it's super great and was probably my favorite for a long time. I find myself being a little more nitpicky about it than I once was. Could be that I've seen a lot more movies since I was 25. Frankly, could be because of the way the Lector character invaded pop culture saps a bit of it's impact.

It might just be that I'm getting hung up on one plot machination that sticks in my craw...that at worst doesn't make sense, and is at best contrived. I'm kind of that way about Godfather II also, there's one thing that I just can't resolve in my mind (maybe a couple), which docks it ever so slightly.

Roadhouse and Point Break are tied for #1

Young Frankenstein

"WHAT A LOVELY PAIR OF KNOCKERS"

Another great line from that movie is "Walk this way,...NO, this way"

This movie on its own should have been one of your run of the mill average comedy movies. The pure comedic genius performances of Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman put this one in my all time top 5 comedies.

Last edited:
This thread should be pinned, so we have a never ending playlist.

On another note, what movies couldn't be made today, or would need to be edited due to the PC factor?

Fast Times at Ridgemont High comes to mind. Porky's too.

On another note, what movies couldn't be made today, or would need to be edited due to the PC factor?

It's not a movie, but just finished another viewing of Arrested Development. Approximately 40% of the jokes/gags in that show would be totally off-limits in a network comedy today, and it debuted just 15 years ago.

Basically every pre-1990 comedy movie. Every pre-90s College comedy movie including Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds etc...featured date rape and statutory rape as “jokes”.

Reactions: surfnole
I gotta add Pulp Fiction because I love me some QT, all his movies but I give Pulp Fiction the nod as number 1 still, although Django and inglorious bastards are up there. I would also put full metal jacket and Apocalypse now and prob The deer hunter up there too. So many great movies

Reactions: NoleLizards
I gotta add Pulp Fiction because I love me some QT, all his movies but I give Pulp Fiction the nod as number 1 still, although Django and inglorious bastards are up there. I would also put full metal jacket and Apocalypse now and prob The deer hunter up there too. So many great movies
You have great taste, but what about Reservoir Dogs??

Yeah that's basically my primary advice in marriage, for having peace and tranquility. And peace and tranquility and getting your own way sometimes, versus getting your way 50+% of the time and constant conflict, that's an easy choice for me.

Don't know that I said it has to be five specifically, but that's a pretty good number. Should definitely make sure those things are clear going in, not fair to spring any surprises. If someone has more than a handful or two of inflexible points, they should really second guess marriage. Obviously, I'm not counting things like infidelity, abuse, substance abuse, etc toward that.

But I've seen too many guys willing to go to the swords over which wall to put an end table on or how to load a dishwasher, crap they shouldn't possibly care about enough to fight about.

You’ve never seen how my wife loads a dishwasher.

Reactions: Lurker1999
You have great taste, but what about Reservoir Dogs??
I like it but I like the other a little more. I liked Mr Blonde more than any character. Another forgotten moveie of his that's very good is 4 rooms, Underrated big time . The most recent was very good as well. Damn that man is a movie genuis isn't he!

Reactions: NoleLizards
Interestingly, Ive had a case go before the real life judge in Miami that is supposed to be Rudy’s friend/tutor.

I think there's still plenty of room for it.

Borat isn't that old and that went everywhere

ADVERTISEMENT