ADVERTISEMENT

I've got an HOA doozey for the lawyers in the room!!!!

So I just got back from Sherwin Williams, with printed emails and pictures.

They made another batch, and in the store it looked green/grey as discussed and as the picture looks. But they had the cans from yesterdays job that the painters returned be recycled, and they made me a swatch with both on it, they look the same, I have it sitting here in my office, but if you go outside and put it up against the house they look exactly the same as the color on the house. It's like some mindf&*k optical illusion, I kid you not.

Check these pictures out.

New sample next too the sample I just had them make, you can see that these were painted at two different times/strokes:
23795039_10156763652770410_7133695147420835030_n.jpg

Then here is by the garage:
23722209_10156763657355410_3620588236778504587_n.jpg

Full Sun:
23659473_10156763682670410_8995935011098752782_n.jpg

Shady side of the house:
23795757_10156763657715410_8358938031181758312_n.jpg

We had this happen in our condo. We had green paint that looked blue as can be. we almost took it back but tried it in a different spot... green. After the whole room was painted it looked green. Something with green goes nutso in certain lights and backgrounds, in our case it was going over yellow so something with the yellow reflection caused it. I'm thinking it might be the combo of the blue shutters, roof, or something. Good news is you can show that to the HOA and let their minds be blown as well.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It's like that picture of that dress that was going around a while back that looked like two different colors to different people.

Ts and Ps Fly.

So I just got back from Sherwin Williams, with printed emails and pictures.

They made another batch, and in the store it looked green/grey as discussed and as the picture looks. But they had the cans from yesterdays job that the painters returned be recycled, and they made me a swatch with both on it, they look the same, I have it sitting here in my office, but if you go outside and put it up against the house they look exactly the same as the color on the house. It's like some mindf&*k optical illusion, I kid you not.

Check these pictures out.

New sample next too the sample I just had them make, you can see that these were painted at two different times/strokes:
23795039_10156763652770410_7133695147420835030_n.jpg

Then here is by the garage:
23722209_10156763657355410_3620588236778504587_n.jpg

Full Sun:
23659473_10156763682670410_8995935011098752782_n.jpg

Shady side of the house:
23795757_10156763657715410_8358938031181758312_n.jpg

Omg dude...that is insane!!!!!!

So, why does the color look different than the color of the house you referenced in the original post.

I find this logic in the plan flawed, unless I am missing something:

- I want my house to match this other house painted XYZ
- Hey, HOA, what color is that, here's a picture of the house I like
- HOA, here's what we have on file

What if that house was painted with a different paint? Done incorrectly? How do you know the point of reference was painted correctly, is my point.

Also, it's not that bad.

Reactions: cmanole
I find this logic in the plan flawed, unless I am missing something:

- I want my house to match this other house painted XYZ
- Hey, HOA, what color is that, here's a picture of the house I like
- HOA, here's what we have on file

What if that house was painted with a different paint? Done incorrectly? How do you know the point of reference was painted correctly, is my point.

Also, it's not that bad.
It's clearly the right color up close. The issue has to be the contrast. The shutters, roof, and stone are all darker on the original house. The contrast of the brighter color stone and roof, combined with a lot more of the cream color is causing an optical illusion.

On another note, nice minivan in the driveway ;^). Even Free turned in his mancard.

I like the colors. Looks caribbean.

There’s no such thing as a man card

The for sale sign leads me to believe that pic was from before he bought the house.

Free, comment?

Eh, it's another blue dress/gold dress thing. See if you can go viral, might as well have something come out of this.

It's clearly the right color up close. The issue has to be the contrast. The shutters, roof, and stone are all darker on the original house. The contrast of the brighter color stone and roof, combined with a lot more of the cream color is causing an optical illusion.

Wait, what?

Free....is the color on your house technically the same color as the referenced house?

And I'm seeing blue on the house.....the swab pics I saw different colors of green?????

Actually, I just looked again. part of the problem is the paint code and name don't match. 3003W is Tofino. 3002W is called Potion

They are one card away from one and other, they mixed the darker one.

On another note, nice minivan in the driveway ;^). Even Free turned in his mancard.

I like the colors. Looks caribbean.

Yep. It's all Bimini like without the steel drums ringing in your ears, scent of ganja in the air and accessibility to great conch (salad, fritters, or cracked).

18094_waterfront.jpg

You are so screwed unless you are better than me at the whole HOA thing; which is likely. My war is still on going with my HOA and they are lucky we don't have a purge day because they would all be dead. I am sure many will think I am a pyscho; but if your end state goal is to do the right thing and have your home not only look nice but fit the neighborhood plan then why can't supposed intelligent people be accommodating. Oh wait I am the POA and you must conform to me; rather than try and be good neighbors.

Who paints a house without putting a field sample up for approval? Seriously though, that's how you avoid this situation. Having said that, screw the HOA, the house looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would people think that?

Lets see why would people think like that; I can have a bball goal but only if I lay it down in my driveway when not in use...really that looks so classy, asked to put river rock on the sides of driveway and for landscaping was told NO- yet I have photos of 2 houses that have the same thing we asked for and they aren't being fined; how about fire pits built a really nice one with a paver area and everything, so sorry you can't have that - yet I have photos of 4 houses with the same set up; what about a drainage issue that was promised to be fixed by the HOA lawyers and the HOA in writing yet nothing - so I have a pond in front of my house when it rains and yes the engineers I have documentation from say the same thing it is a road grading issue. I could go on and on and my lawyer is pretty dang sure we will own them in court; but why does it need to get to that. Why do people have to spend money, time and tons of grief on what could be solved by siting down and having a conversation. So am I mad yep because when I could be sitting at home or in my hotel room doing things to relax or work on stuff for other people I am instead becoming a HOA law expert. Just sad. So am I angry yep and if it was legal I would meet all these a&&& in the middle of the street and dispense the justice they deserve. Rant over. They should be really glad I have a strong moral compass and fear of prison; otherwise things would be very different.
Oh and if you think there is a second side of the story there isn't; believe me if you want, don't really care it is a fact.:)

Reactions: cmanole
Free

Couple of things
1- i have always had to get splotches of the paint colors and turn them over to the HOA for approval

2- paint companies have changed from liquid color ants to powders and vice versa, and they are always screwing with the formulas so over time the colors may have the same names but results are very different

3- i can’t get over the one day paint job
Was there no pressure cleaning needed?
Any sealer?
Any patching of cracks etc?

Lastily i think you are screwed here, i am sure in your HOA agreement it states color splotches Must be pre-approved by the architectural board in writing!

I like the colors though for what it’s worth

Reactions: goldmom
Lets see why would people think like that; I can have a bball goal but only if I lay it down in my driveway when not in use...really that looks so classy, asked to put river rock on the sides of driveway and for landscaping was told NO- yet I have photos of 2 houses that have the same thing we asked for and they aren't being fined; how about fire pits built a really nice one with a paver area and everything, so sorry you can't have that - yet I have photos of 4 houses with the same set up; what about a drainage issue that was promised to be fixed by the HOA lawyers and the HOA in writing yet nothing - so I have a pond in front of my house when it rains and yes the engineers I have documentation from say the same thing it is a road grading issue. I could go on and on and my lawyer is pretty dang sure we will own them in court; but why does it need to get to that. Why do people have to spend money, time and tons of grief on what could be solved by siting down and having a conversation. So am I mad yep because when I could be sitting at home or in my hotel room doing things to relax or work on stuff for other people I am instead becoming a HOA law expert. Just sad. So am I angry yep and if it was legal I would meet all these a&&& in the middle of the street and dispense the justice they deserve. Rant over. They should be really glad I have a strong moral compass and fear of prison; otherwise things would be very different.
Oh and if you think there is a second side of the story there isn't; believe me if you want, don't really care it is a fact.:)
MOVE.

Free, you need a distraction. Let the yard go to hell, messy and just littered with junk. Tell the HOA that you are not budging on a new paint job unless someone steps up and pays for their mistake. After a while, the HOA will settle that if you pick up your mess, the junk will go.

140430f.jpg

Good luck. Im trying to withhold opinion but the colors don't photograph well. They painted that whole thing in one day and trimmed it out? Thats impressive, thats why they are the pros. An charged $5k.

Free

Couple of things
1- i have always had to get splotches of the paint colors and turn them over to the HOA for approval

2- paint companies have changed from liquid color ants to powders and vice versa, and they are always screwing with the formulas so over time the colors may have the same names but results are very different

3- i can’t get over the one day paint job
Was there no pressure cleaning needed?
Any sealer?
Any patching of cracks etc?

Lastily i think you are screwed here, i am sure in your HOA agreement it states color splotches Must be pre-approved by the architectural board in writing!

I like the colors though for what it’s worth

They powerwashed, and fixed cracks and some stucco work a few days before painting they just painted it in one day.

6 guys worked from 0700-1900

I have the written approval of the ARB. The approval was based on buying the prescribed colors. Which were the ones the painter bought from the HOA approved vendor.

I hear you Goldmom and we have seriously considered it. The issues for me are selling my home and moving cost money even though I would make money on the sale, my house will only go up in value and selling it now takes that away, I love my house it is perfectly situated with incredible views and then then of course is my inability to run from a fight. Why should I move because of a couple of a%%%% who are in the wrong and I have documentation they are in the wrong.

Reactions: Bud Fox
I hear you Goldmom and we have seriously considered it. The issues for me are selling my home and moving cost money even though I would make money on the sale, my house will only go up in value and selling it now takes that away, I love my house it is perfectly situated with incredible views and then then of course is my inability to run from a fight. Why should I move because of a couple of a%%%% who are in the wrong and I have documentation they are in the wrong.

Just gonna say it - put up or shut up. You got big boy pants, right? Peace of mind or live with a couple of a%%% as you put it-

Just gonna say it - put up or shut up. You got big boy pants, right? Peace of mind or live with a couple of a%%% as you put it-

Agree and that is why we are going to court; while a waste of everyone's time and money I guess that is the world we live in. I think court will be fun as I am pretty sure that the management company is not being told the whole truth or giving good advice to the HOA. Some of the issues are so obviously the HOA wrong doing I can't imagine the owner of the management company not telling them hey uh you know you are in the wrong here. I mean we have photos and written documentation; yet they still try and play their game.

So now I'm supposed to meet with the sherwin Williams guy and the HOA rep live at my house to talk about it. I think I'm going to go on the offensive.

Facebook live that!

So now I'm supposed to meet with the sherwin Williams guy and the HOA rep live at my house to talk about it. I think I'm going to go on the offensive.

Good move

Btw i reread your original post and saw where you stated the arb approval, my bad

I bet Sherwin Williams says they will supply the materials, but the labors on you to repaint

The HOA rep is gonna say sorry, but not my fault

Then there gonna serve you with a notice to repaint or a daily fine will accrue

My advice is to be packing, and make sure they know you are
Take pics of their faces like those punks do
Snarl alot whilest dropping the “ f” bomb at appropriate times

Let them both know how pissed you are that due to their screw-up you know have to go through this process again

One last thing verify with your painter that adding an additional “ coat” of paint will not have an affect on your warranty

Curious how this works out. At the end of the day while the color may be off, it still looks decent, follows the overall theme of the neighborhood etc. So what good comes out of the HOA being hard a$$. Best case scenario is everybody says it wasn't your fault, free paint and free labor. The problem here is if painter guy has to redo the job for free it will likely be sub par, you know he won't be happy and of course you are the one left to show him where he did a poor job and fight that battle. Unfortunately this the likely scenario; because Mr. HOA has to rule with an iron fist and doesn't care about logic or the fact that hard working paint guy will be out whatever he has to pay his workers. Because the world knows that color will drive down property values and likely lead to all your neighbors losing money when they sell their homes. Good luck; by the way you may now have a little more evidence on who/why someone was photographing your home???? Maybe it was the POA secret police

Good move
I bet Sherwin Williams says they will supply the materials, but the labors on you to repaint

One last thing verify with your painter that adding an additional “ coat” of paint will not have an affect on your warranty

Just say this is the case, and I have to cover labor, since all the trim is done correctly, and the paint is covered, what percentage of the first job should I be looking to cover? In your expert opinion? 1/3 of the original price?

I thought $5k falls out of the pocket of the LR's daily so just pay for a repaint and be done with it.

Reactions: goldmom
Curious how this works out. At the end of the day while the color may be off, it still looks decent, follows the overall theme of the neighborhood etc. So what good comes out of the HOA being hard a$$. Best case scenario is everybody says it wasn't your fault, free paint and free labor. The problem here is if painter guy has to redo the job for free it will likely be sub par, you know he won't be happy and of course you are the one left to show him where he did a poor job and fight that battle. Unfortunately this the likely scenario; because Mr. HOA has to rule with an iron fist and doesn't care about logic or the fact that hard working paint guy will be out whatever he has to pay his workers. Because the world knows that color will drive down property values and likely lead to all your neighbors losing money when they sell their homes. Good luck; by the way you may now have a little more evidence on who/why someone was photographing your home???? Maybe it was the POA secret police

I was begnnng to wonder if you live in the same HOA community as Free, since you’ve repeatedly mentioned having photo evidence of other violators who are not being harassed by th HOA.

Reactions: LesClaypool
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT