ADVERTISEMENT

JW indicated that a Publix employee gave him

grogers103

Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
the crab legs for free and hooked him up with them...........this could be a NCAA issue according to CS... is there anything to this?

I am kinda blown away because I thought this was common knowledge. All employees at the Publix were fired. It was an obvious hookup.

Sports Illustrated writers foaming at the mouth. Hate boners everywhere.

2j4dfnl.png

Reactions: dero316
As long as FSU wasn't aware of the "hook-up" we are fine.

I am however shocked that Jameis is that dumb. He has been saying for a year now that it was unintentional and an honest mistake. Clearly is was intentional and premeditated.
  1. Why did he not include the crab leg incident in his answer to Harbaugh when Harbaugh asked "Have you ever been disciplined by the police?" He said, once..for the BB gun incident...WTF?
  2. Is the reason he didn't bring it up was because he still thinks he is in the clear since he was told by the deli guy it was "free" ????
  3. Did he have to disclose that he stole a cake the week prior...I mean, really???
  4. Did he really need Harbaugh to explain to him how to handle that question after everything he has been through with it, I mean...For Real???
  5. Did Jimbo know it was a 'hook-up'??? He too has been saying that it was a mistake and that he simple "forgot to pay"....we now know that is not the case (not that we didn't always know). He intentionally walked out w/out paying...but his statement now could be putting Jimbo in a bad spot, this throws Jimbo under the bus and puts his character in question too if he new this all along.
I'm sure there are more questions I could come up with about this....I'm just in shock that Jamies handled that question so freaking poorly. That was a softball question for him to answer that he should have rehearsed how to answer a million times by now. It's all just unbelievable to me.

One: Tressel got fired because he lied and told other to lie, via emai.

Two: I know people slobber over Jameis like he's a shirtless Greg Jones pic, but I'm tired of the dude and ready for him to move on to the NFL. No reason he needed to bring up getting the crab legs for free.

Reactions: LesClaypool
One: Tressel got fired because he lied and told other to lie, via emai.

Two: I know people slobber over Jameis like he's a shirtless Greg Jones pic, but I'm tired of the dude and ready for him to move on to the NFL. No reason he needed to bring up getting the crab legs for free.

I don't disagree that Jameis should be handling himself better at all. He's a lightning rod right now, probably worse than anyone in the last few years. Anything and everything he says is getting scrutinized to the max. The sooner he learns to keep quiet around reporters, cameras, and microphones, the better.

He has very little self-awareness. It is everyone else's fault. Getting the hook-up is stealing. You didn't get it for free...you stole them. That is wrong and illegal. You were punished for it. Just shut up, have some awareness of what's going on and move on. Of course, based on what his pops said during this incident, you get the understanding where his behavior comes from.

He has very little self-awareness. It is everyone else's fault. Getting the hook-up is stealing. You didn't get it for free...you stole them. That is wrong and illegal.

Oh stop it. Everyone has known someone that worked some place and gotten them a free drink, or sandwich, or fries or something. Quit the dramatic piousness.

I appreciate his efforts and what he did on the field, but I'm glad he's moved on to the NFL. Not sure we could've handled another year.

Reactions: ncnole1975

Uh, it was during draft prep where he was practicing how to address the incident during meetings with NFL teams. If you're going to be mad, blame ESPN for airing the conversation.

Oh stop it. Everyone has known someone that worked some place and gotten them a free drink, or sandwich, or fries or something. Quit the dramatic piousness.

the point.............................................................................you

Fine, he got stuff for free. Shut up about it and move one. Harbaugh said to him: (paraphrase) everyone knows about it, you have to talk about it, so just say it was a mistake and you moved on. Jameis' response: "what if I got it for free".

Superior athletes are "hooked up" from the time they start...from the little league coach buying you supper to the high school boosters giving you shoes to free drinks and free admission and free food in college. Jameis was possibly the biggest "BMOC" FSU has ever seen. It is utterly ridiculous that anyone ever considered that was a premeditated shoplift

Reactions: DFSNOLE
the point.............................................................................you

Fine, he got stuff for free. Shut up about it and move one. Harbaugh said to him: (paraphrase) everyone knows about it, you have to talk about it, so just say it was a mistake and you moved on. Jameis' response: "what if I got it for free".

The draft interview process is about being 100% truthful about these types of questions. That Jameis outlines the complete circumstances behind all of these incidents is paramount. No NFL teams are docking him on being thorough in explaining this stuff to them (as you can see from the fact he's going #1 or #2). This is only an issue to idiotic sports reporters and fans.

His thorough explanation is an admission that he lied about mistakenly walking out of the store. See Semi's opinion on the subject in other post. It has merit.

His thorough explanation is an admission that he lied about mistakenly walking out of the store. See Semi's opinion on the subject in other post. It has merit.

In order to prevent an NCAA investigation into him and his team. That'll actually be seen as a good thing in the NFL. The league's commissioner did something similar this year, don't know if you heard.

Had Jameis publicly said anything about this, other than his apology after it happened?

Had Jameis publicly said anything about this, other than his apology after it happened?

His statements to the police that arrived at his house. Paraphrase: I realized I forgot to pay when I got home and wanted to make it right.

He has very little self-awareness. It is everyone else's fault. Getting the hook-up is stealing. You didn't get it for free...you stole them. That is wrong and illegal. You were punished for it. Just shut up, have some awareness of what's going on and move on. Of course, based on what his pops said during this incident, you get the understanding where his behavior comes from.

Agree 100%. I'm baffled that anyone else could have a different interpretation. If my kid came home and said the bank teller likes to hook him up with an extra 20 on each visit, he would be back at the bank apologizing.

Players that almost every school in America and almost every level no exactly where they can get their Hook ups. I experienced it first hand 30 yrs ago as a d-2 player and it is naive to think otherwise. whether crab legs or the bar tab that is woefully low, it takes athletes little time to figure out where this is available around their respective campus towns. Not a justification, but is the truth and what is a constant contributor to the stress levels of compliance officers and coaches everywhere. Paying players will not stop this either.

Everyone knew this was a hook-up. Jameis took the fall. Now he's out of school and interviewing for the biggest job of his life. So he's coming clean. Protecting the kid at publix or FSU isn't his concern any longer. His biggest black mark is his "off the field issues", so he's being absolutely honest. Makes sense he would tell the truth as any NFL team would smell bullshat if he tried to pass the "I forgot to pay" story to them. You might not like it, might feel like it taints FSU, but really, who cares what you think.
Aside from letting ESPN film it I have zero issues with it. But even if he just told the teams this during interviews it would have gotten out.

For NFL teams this story makes perfect sense. He did what he had to do, paid the price for it, and now he's telling them what actually went down because anyone who isn't living under a rock knew this is what happened. Ex Noles were on twitter right after saying they got free stuff there all the time.

For NFL teams this story makes perfect sense. He did what he had to do, paid the price for it, and now he's telling them what actually went down because anyone who isn't living under a rock knew this is what happened. Ex Noles were on twitter right after saying they got free stuff there all the time.

Not even Ex-Noles. I had a HS friend that wound up working there for a while. Between free sandwich meat, extra chicken tenders/wings, and other odds and ends I got well more than what JW got.

Agree 100%. I'm baffled that anyone else could have a different interpretation. If my kid came home and said the bank teller likes to hook him up with an extra 20 on each visit, he would be back at the bank apologizing.

if your kid went to a club and said the bouncer let him in with no cover, would you send him back to pay? Did you ever have a bar tender say, "this one's on me?" Get real man and the rest of you who say, "I never did anything like this." - try to be honest with yourself. I had friends who owned a bar next to Bullwinkles for a year and I NEVER paid a cover charge to go in..never. Is the publix thing exactly analogous? No, but hook ups in college are common. What a bunch of hypocrisy.

Yeah, after college I had a bar where I paid about 10 cents on the dollar for all my food and drink for about 2 years. Never paid a cover and the brought me in around back thru the kitchen when there was a line out front (St. Paddy's day, etc.) I never felt bad about that and still don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT