ADVERTISEMENT

Latson named WBCA (coaches') freshman of the year

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

Florida State Women’s Basketball student-athlete Ta’Niya Latson has earned the honor of WBCA NCAA Division I Freshman of the Year presented by adidas, announced by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association on Tuesday morning.

The Freshman of the Year award honors the best NCAA Division I women’s basketball freshman or redshirt freshman. All conference freshman players of the year in NCAA Division I are considered for the award. If a conference does not select a freshman player of the year, the conference office can nominate one player to be considered.

“Energy, enthusiasm, effort and effectiveness — these are hallmark pillars that each coach hopes their first-year, student-athletes will contribute to the team,” said WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew. “The WBCA and adidas recognize the important contribution of first-year student-athletes. I am pleased to present the WBCA NCAA Division I Freshman of the Year award to Ta’Niya Latson.

“Ta’Niya most certainly contributed to Florida State’s success and we recognize and applaud her immediate impact this season.”

“Adidas has been providing innovative products for the world’s best athletes for more than 65 years, from past legends to today’s superstars as well as top collegiate basketball programs around the country. The WBCA and adidas are pleased to recognize the important contribution of first-year student-athlete and to present the WBCA NCAA Division I Freshman of the Year award to Ta’Niya Latson,” said Jonathan Sims, assistant sports marketing manager, NCAA south, at adidas.

The Miami, Fla., native was unquestionably the nation’s top freshman in 2022-23, also earning the Tamika Catchings Award given by the United States Basketball Writers Association, as well as The Athletic National Freshman of the Year. Latson averaged an ACC-leading 21.3 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.6 steals and 0.7 blocks per game this year.

Latson is also a finalist for the Ann Meyers Drysdale Shooting Guard award.

The 5-foot-8 freshman guard produced one of the finest first seasons in collegiate basketball history, becoming the first freshman in ACC history to lead the league in scoring. She was the conference’s greatest scoring threat, producing an ACC-leading 18 20-point games.

Latson proved to be a scoring threat who also put up impressive field-goal percentage numbers. With a very high usage rate, Latson shot 45.5 percent from the floor and 36.2 percent from 3-point range.

She was rewarded as the ACC Rookie of the Year as well as getting the nod for All-ACC First Team honors. Latson set an FSU single-season record with seven 30-point games this season.

• Love
Reactions: noleforever95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT