ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Sci Fi reads and authors

Phinhead

Seminole Insider
Dec 1, 2005
Give me your favorite new read and why I should check it out.

Heres mine:

Peter Clines, politically, falls off the left table. However, he writes damn good Sci Fi. Not all of his books are great, but I have read most of them.

His latest, Paradox Bound, is a good read or listen and has a PG rating, at most.

Phinhead rating is 3.5 of 5.

Phinhead summary:

• The American Dream was constructed by Free Masons in order to unify the rebellion. It makes reality the will of the populace. The country needed a dream.

It was stolen. It's power remains in remnants in places that it has been. Have you driven through a town on a trip and thought it was stuck in the 50s? Have you ever marvelled at the houses and population only for the quaint town to be almost forgotten at the end of the trip? These are places where the dream has been and the population there thinks this is the best time of America. Time or history slows there.

There are searchers who have learned this. They travel through history searching for the dream. If the find the dream, they can mold the country in thier image. Faceless government men, literally, chase the searchers, with lethal extreme prejudice. Once within a certain radius, they have certainty of the situation an know all outcomes.
    Certain people have been affected by the dream and not kown it. These are clues and places to search, example being Walt Disney.
    It's a good read or listen as Ray Porter is the rarrator.

• Lots of American allegory..... Faceless government...etc

• Martin Luther King JR and others in history, all have been affected by contact, unknowingly, with the American Dream.

89187.jpg
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89187.Revelation_Space

Heres mine:

Peter Clines, politically, falls off the left table. However, he writes damn good Sci Fi. Not all of his books are great, but I have read most of them.

His latest, Paradox Bound, is a good read or listen and has a PG rating, at most.

Phinhead summary:

• The American Dream was constructed by Free Masons in order to unify the rebellion. It makes reality the will of the populace. The country needed a dream.

It was stolen. It's power remains in remnants in places that it has been. Have you driven through a town on a trip and thought it was stuck in the 50s? Have you ever marvelled at the houses and population only for the quaint town to be almost forgotten at the end of the trip? These are places where the dream has been and the population there thinks this is the best time of America. Time or history slows there.

There are searchers who have learned this. They travel through history searching for the dream. If the find the dream, they can mold the country in thier image. Faceless government men, literally, chase the searchers, with lethal extreme prejudice. Once within a certain radius, they have certainty of the situation an know all outcomes.
    Certain people have been affected by the dream and not kown it. These are clues and places to search, example being Walt Disney.

• Martin Luther King JR and others in history, all have been affected by contact, unknowingly, with the American Dream.

I'm in the process of moving into my new house, so I've been going through my giant book collection (7 bookshelves that are four foot wide and 8 ft tall) and trying to eliminate at least half of it. An older trilogy I set aside specifically reread out of my hundreds if not thousands of books was the Quintara Marathon by Jack L Chalker. It's a fantastic sci-fi series practically no one has heard about.

So I'll give the basic premise and a description of the "universe" of the novel but won't go into the actual plot as it's excellent. So at some point in the future, government experiments manage to give/really bring out various psychic powers to a small percentage of the human population...telepathy, telekensis, pyrokinesis, clairvoyance, astral projection, electrokinesis, probability manipulation (aka "lucky" power) and maybe the most useful of all a "null" which is a human who cannot be effected by any of the mind powers at all. Over time, humanity spreads to the stars, taking over primitive worlds and creating a little human federation of say...maybe a 100 worlds. Then the real superpowers of the galaxy take notice and in the span of less than a day humanity's worlds are taken over by one of three galactic superpowers. Roughly a third of humanity is now under the rule of a computer/artificial superintelligence that has a system of government similar to a "Super America" ie, it's totally capitalistic with zero compassion or sympathy but with free movement of capital and ideas. Another third of humanity is under a theocracy that kind of resembles the Roman Catholic Church but where the revered leaders are a regular organic based species that all have telepathy and project an image that makes them appear as "angels' or beings of light into the minds of all other races. This Roman Catholic bureaucracy is stagnant and oppressive of ideas, but compassionate towards the even the worst off individual as they try to spread their religion to even the lowest of the low. Finally, the other third of humanity got totally screwed, their overlords are actually a literal biological virus that can infect any race and take over their minds. It's organized at BEST like a feudal system and really more like a giant plantation where the uninfected races serve only as serfs or slaves while the infected leaders are treated like veritable kings and queens.

So that's the background of the "universe" when the first novel of the Quintara Marathon picks up ie humanity separated into three different "empires" and basically on the bottom rung of each. Then an exploration ship of the "Super America" discovers a multidimensional tesseract on an unexplored planet that seems to have literal demons (ie giant, winged and horned red creatures with furry legs and cloven hooves) "frozen" within it. It seems that regardless of which alien species it is and across hundreds if not thousands of species all have some lingering lore that "demons" are "evil". The demons awaken and exit the tesseract and proceed to kill everyone on board the exploration ship. A warning is issued by the doomed exploration party and soon additional exploration ships from all three "empires" arrive. Each exploration ship consists of multiple lesser species but each "coincidentally" at least one human on board with some form of psychic ability as we are "useful". Eventually all three empires send a multispecies exploration party into the tesseract itself.

So...I havent given ANYTHING away. That's the setup and just the setup is pretty fascinating. What the novels have is deceit, betrayals, exploration, religious discussion, a fair amount of bloody action sequences, humanity's place in the galaxy, general philosophy and finally, revelations of galactic significance.

Reactions: rjstf and Phinhead
I've been reading The Expanse series by James SA Corey. I'm on book 3 right now. It's also a really good tv series on Syfy.
I'm going to give this a try on Audible. I drive 75 miles, one way, to work everyday. I have never listened to Jefferson Mays as a narrator, so we will see. Narrators can kill a good read.

I love Ray Porter as a narrator, and if there is a question about books that I am comparing, I will choose a Ray Porter novel any day!

Heres mine:

Phinhead summary:

Didn't he write the books about the ex-heroes and the zombie world? Those were really entertaining

Didn't he write the books about the ex-heroes and the zombie world? Those were really entertaining
Yes.

This isnt a great book but it's a good adventure.

His short stories like The Junkie Quatrain are good. I also enjoyed the book 14 and it's semi sequel The Fold.

Reactions: BelemNole
I haven’t read anything in this genre since Asimov’s Foundation series.
So all I got is to say if on the offhand chance you haven’t read them add to to do list.

Reactions: rjstf
Not a huge connoisseur of sci-fi but currently reading Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty. Basically a locked door murder mystery in space. The ship's crew are clones who are murdered. Once the clones die, new clones are regenerated but with no memory of what happened.

28962996.jpg

Reactions: Phinhead
oh I just realized I do have something to contribute. I recently listened to Artemus, which is Andy Weir's follow-up to The Martian. It was ok, not quite as compelling as the earlier work. It had more of a caper feel, up until the third act, which was pretty frantic and more solo. Let's just say there's a lot more at stake than the life of one person this time.

Not a new book rec as I’ve previously mentioned it here but Altered Carbon is about to be available on Netflix.

A little childish but, I am currently reading the 4th book of the red rising series, which just came out. That’s a fun series. It’s also well done on Audible. I have an audible subscription. It’s basically a sci fi version of count of monte cristo

Speaking of audible, ready player one is narrated by Wil Wheaton.

Reactions: BelemNole
oh I just realized I do have something to contribute. I recently listened to Artemus, which is Andy Weir's follow-up to The Martian. It was ok, not quite as compelling as the earlier work. It had more of a caper feel, up until the third act, which was pretty frantic and more solo. Let's just say there's a lot more at stake than the life of one person this time.

I liked the Martian. Haven’t picked up Artemis yet.

I highly recommend reading The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Deals with social issues (classes, bigotry etc..), ancient technology, and has some fantasy elements thrown in. The main characters can control geophysics with their minds (to varying degrees) and are feared/hated by the general population.

Pretty good write up on the series here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ries-this-year-it-should-be-the-broken-earth/

Same genre but different medium.

I burned through season one and most of two with The Colony yesterday. Not bad

I enjoyed Altered Carbon on Netflix

I enjoyed Colony.

The Expanse series , however, has fallen well short of the book series ( I started because of this thread)

So I just finished the final book of the Stormlight Archive trilogy, all 1230-something pages of it...wait what? It's not a trilogy? Ten? Ten! There are going to be TEN books in this series?
Yeah I'm not sure any of us are going to live that long...

Reactions: Phinhead

I've also read both of these Weir novels (my first exposure into sci-fi genre) and agree with your opinion.

Reactions: Bartdog
I haven't read a lot of Sci-Fi in a while, but the one novel that stuck with me most from years back is this book. Real science meets near future speculation.
71FjaQ8dbLL.jpg

I would like to alter my comments on The Expanse TV series. Season 2 was nice, and I would love to know the budget as the effects are great!

I would like to alter my comments on The Expanse TV series. Season 2 was nice, and I would love to know the budget as the effects are great!
I have been watching it on Amazon and keep getting bogged down in all the politics. I'm only on the third episode and keep finding my attention wandering.

I have been watching it on Amazon and keep getting bogged down in all the politics. I'm only on the third episode and keep finding my attention wandering.

Earth (Controlled by UN)= is like old British Empire

Mars= Like the US declaring independence. Now the preeminent Navy. They train daily in 1 G for a future and likely war with Earth.

Belters= exploited by both for their resources. Species of humans that are physically different because of growth in low G...taller... now bone density...etc Very Roughneck and have developed their own language and gestures. Shrugging would never be done by a belter because it's hard to see in an environmental suite as an example.

15 January 2016, 9:00 am EST By Robin Burks Tech Times

Syfy's The Expanse is more than just a science fiction show about people traveling the solar system in spaceships. It's also a series that covers a wide range of topics, such as politics, poverty, oppression, discrimination and the struggle for resources in harsh environments.

On The Expanse, mankind has made great strides in space travel, and as a result, has colonized the solar system.

The series, which takes inspiration from a series of books by James S. A. Corey, presents a world where factions make up most of the population and where most people belong to one of these specific groups.

Here's a guide on the different factions from The Expanse, as well an explanation of what separates them from other groups.

The United Nations And Earthers
The United Nations, which consists of Earthers (those born on Earth and still living there), controls both Earth and the moon. Although based on their home planet, the United Nations also has facilities in Lovell City on Luna (the moon). The United Nations also controls Earth's military, the United Nations Navy and the United Nations Marine Corps.

The United Nations' leader is the Secretary-General, Esteban Sorrento-Gillis, with Sadavir Errinwright acting as undersecretary and Chrisjen Avasarala as assistant undersecretary.

Earthers see themselves as above most other groups, and are openly prejudiced against those not born on the planet, particularly the Belters, who they often don't even consider human. This attitude often affects trade, particularly for water, which is the most valued resource in the solar system. Earth currently holds most of the expanded world's water, which gives it control over much of the galaxy's goings-on.

Although Earth has a great deal of technology, it's still not as a advanced as the technology held by the Martians, Earth's main rival in the solar system.

The Martians
The Martians are those humans who colonized Mars and created permanent settlements there. They strive to terraform the planet's surface so that it more closely resembles Earth. They are led by the Martian Congressional Republic, which is often in conflict with the United Nations. This means that its people are also constantly in competition with Earthers.

However, in a fight, Mars would probably win, because although it has a small population, the environment Martians grew up in make them extremely tough and capable of living on fewer resources. It is also well-known that the Martian Congressional Republic Navy is more technologically advanced than the United Nations' military divisions.

The conflict between Earth and Mars becomes even more of a problem when Martians get blamed for attacking a Belter ship. However, the United Nations on Earth still hopes to avoid war, because they know it's a war they cannot win.

Martians and Earthers, though, do share one common trait: they both actively discriminate against and oppress Belters.

The Outer Planets Alliance (OPA)
Although seen by most other factions as a terrorist organization (and indeed the OPA finds its roots based in terrorism), this faction eventually becomes a loose government for those living around the asteroids and moons of the outer planets (except for Ganymede), with Fred Johnson as its leader.

However, even the OPA's terrorist roots had a solid mission: it sought to fight for the rights and interests of the Belters, because no one else seemed to care about them. This often puts the group at odds with the Martians and the Earthers.

The groups that comprise the OPA are generally made up of separate cells, such as the student group the Far Horizons Foundation, and the organization generally remains more of an institution of separate smaller factions than a singular, cohesive organization.

After false accusations arise about Mars' Navy attacking a Belter ship, OPA members and sympathizers start protesting on Ceres: eventually those protests become violent, and grow worse thanks to other factors, such as a lack of air and water there. This flings Ceres into utter chaos.

The Belters
The Belters aren't as much of a political faction as the OPA, but they get their name from being born in the Asteroid Belt, which makes them different from both the Martians and Earthers. Because they have spent their lives in low gravity, their bodies are different, with elongated limbs, a longer spine and bigger heads. Although this means that their bodies are well-suited for space, this also prevents them from ever landing on the surface of Earth or Mars: the gravity on those planets is too harsh for their delicate forms.

The Belters even have their own language, a combination of English and physical signs, something they adapted to communicate with while spending long hours strapped into space suits.

Unfortunately, Belters also have problems with pregnancy, because their abdominal and uterine muscles never fully develop due to low-gravity conditions. Pregnant women often temporarily relocate to Ceres, which has a spin gravity that allows for more successful births.

All of these things make the Belters different, so much that the Martians and Earthers treat them as a separate species and look down upon them, which often results in their oppression. They provide many resources to Earth and Mars, but those two planets treat them almost like slave labor, so they receive much less in return. Their lives are a constant struggle for prescious resources, such as water and air.

So I just finished the final book of the Stormlight Archive trilogy, all 1230-something pages of it...wait what? It's not a trilogy? Ten? Ten! There are going to be TEN books in this series?
Yeah I'm not sure any of us are going to live that long...

I still need to try these. Brandon Sanderson completed what is probably my favorite series, The Wheel of Time. The final book has a chapter longer than Harry Potter and Sorcerers Stone.

15 January 2016, 9:00 am EST By Robin Burks Tech Times

Syfy's The Expanse is more than just a science fiction show about people traveling the solar system in spaceships. It's also a series that covers a wide range of topics, such as politics, poverty, oppression, discrimination and the struggle for resources in harsh environments.

On The Expanse, mankind has made great strides in space travel, and as a result, has colonized the solar system.

The series, which takes inspiration from a series of books by James S. A. Corey, presents a world where factions make up most of the population and where most people belong to one of these specific groups.

Here's a guide on the different factions from The Expanse, as well an explanation of what separates them from other groups.

The United Nations And Earthers
The United Nations, which consists of Earthers (those born on Earth and still living there), controls both Earth and the moon. Although based on their home planet, the United Nations also has facilities in Lovell City on Luna (the moon). The United Nations also controls Earth's military, the United Nations Navy and the United Nations Marine Corps.

The United Nations' leader is the Secretary-General, Esteban Sorrento-Gillis, with Sadavir Errinwright acting as undersecretary and Chrisjen Avasarala as assistant undersecretary.

Earthers see themselves as above most other groups, and are openly prejudiced against those not born on the planet, particularly the Belters, who they often don't even consider human. This attitude often affects trade, particularly for water, which is the most valued resource in the solar system. Earth currently holds most of the expanded world's water, which gives it control over much of the galaxy's goings-on.

Although Earth has a great deal of technology, it's still not as a advanced as the technology held by the Martians, Earth's main rival in the solar system.

The Martians
The Martians are those humans who colonized Mars and created permanent settlements there. They strive to terraform the planet's surface so that it more closely resembles Earth. They are led by the Martian Congressional Republic, which is often in conflict with the United Nations. This means that its people are also constantly in competition with Earthers.

However, in a fight, Mars would probably win, because although it has a small population, the environment Martians grew up in make them extremely tough and capable of living on fewer resources. It is also well-known that the Martian Congressional Republic Navy is more technologically advanced than the United Nations' military divisions.

The conflict between Earth and Mars becomes even more of a problem when Martians get blamed for attacking a Belter ship. However, the United Nations on Earth still hopes to avoid war, because they know it's a war they cannot win.

Martians and Earthers, though, do share one common trait: they both actively discriminate against and oppress Belters.

The Outer Planets Alliance (OPA)
Although seen by most other factions as a terrorist organization (and indeed the OPA finds its roots based in terrorism), this faction eventually becomes a loose government for those living around the asteroids and moons of the outer planets (except for Ganymede), with Fred Johnson as its leader.

However, even the OPA's terrorist roots had a solid mission: it sought to fight for the rights and interests of the Belters, because no one else seemed to care about them. This often puts the group at odds with the Martians and the Earthers.

The groups that comprise the OPA are generally made up of separate cells, such as the student group the Far Horizons Foundation, and the organization generally remains more of an institution of separate smaller factions than a singular, cohesive organization.

After false accusations arise about Mars' Navy attacking a Belter ship, OPA members and sympathizers start protesting on Ceres: eventually those protests become violent, and grow worse thanks to other factors, such as a lack of air and water there. This flings Ceres into utter chaos.

The Belters
The Belters aren't as much of a political faction as the OPA, but they get their name from being born in the Asteroid Belt, which makes them different from both the Martians and Earthers. Because they have spent their lives in low gravity, their bodies are different, with elongated limbs, a longer spine and bigger heads. Although this means that their bodies are well-suited for space, this also prevents them from ever landing on the surface of Earth or Mars: the gravity on those planets is too harsh for their delicate forms.

The Belters even have their own language, a combination of English and physical signs, something they adapted to communicate with while spending long hours strapped into space suits.

Unfortunately, Belters also have problems with pregnancy, because their abdominal and uterine muscles never fully develop due to low-gravity conditions. Pregnant women often temporarily relocate to Ceres, which has a spin gravity that allows for more successful births.

All of these things make the Belters different, so much that the Martians and Earthers treat them as a separate species and look down upon them, which often results in their oppression. They provide many resources to Earth and Mars, but those two planets treat them almost like slave labor, so they receive much less in return. Their lives are a constant struggle for prescious resources, such as water and air.
"false" accusations? spoiler much? remember I'm only on ep 3 and as far as I know that was a Martian ship!

It's confusing watching but I did pick up on a lot of that. One thing that confused me was Ceres Station, which appears to be controlled by Earth, but where is it exactly?

The tv show doesn't make the belter language stand out as much as they could

".......

It's confusing watching but I did pick up on a lot of that. One thing that confused me was Ceres Station, which appears to be controlled by Earth, but where is it exactly?

Ceres is a dwarf planet that is in the asteroid belt in real life, so I just made the assumption it is there. I guess the could have made the language a bit more different but at risk of confusing viewers. Heck, even in some movies with people from other lands, they just have them speak English for simplicity sake (thinking of 13 warrior specifically).

I am two shows in, started today. I like, man I am late to the party and this is right up my alley.

"false" accusations? spoiler much? remember I'm only on ep 3 and as far as I know that was a Martian ship!

Apologies.. Didn't read through the whole thith

I highly recommend reading The Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. Deals with social issues (classes, bigotry etc..), ancient technology, and has some fantasy elements thrown in. The main characters can control geophysics with their minds (to varying degrees) and are feared/hated by the general population.

Pretty good write up on the series here:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ries-this-year-it-should-be-the-broken-earth/

Great series, and TNT picked it up for a potential TV series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT