ADVERTISEMENT

Softball Live Updates: FSU softball opens 2024 season Thursday night vs. Charlotte

I know its the 1st game and we have like 60 to go but, I just dont see leadership on this team.
Mack, Muffley, and Kat or any 1 of the 3 are sorely missed.
I don't want to be the one to call at anyone specifically but, if we are depending on certain individuals in the circle in crucial moments that have not shown they can handle the moment in 3/4 years then we are in deep trouble.
I mean we all hope Rodamaker would become the starting QB but, just didn't happen. I don't see a difference here with what we are expecting from some on the softball team. Unfortunately we didn't get a DJ U to maybe makes things a little better.
We also have someone hitting in the 2 spot that can hit the ball a mile but, has 0 plate discipline and appears lost at the plate....still.
The freshman appear to be ok both in the field and at the plate.
But, we have definite issues in the circle and what appears to be lack of leadership.
I was hoping Reid would have developed some off speed stuff to go with what she brought last year but, didn't see it tonight.
It's a long season and hopefully Lonnie can figure things out. But, with our schedule and what I saw tonight we may have to accept that this will not be the normal successful year for FSU softball.
Here is what I think I learned from last night:
  1. Our pitching will be a work in progress. Wilson did eat some innings but they had her squared up all night and she struggled in both appearances. If Allison (or maybe Gooden) is not capable of being the lock down we need in my opinion we just do not have one (currently). We may have to just committee our innings until we develop someone who can carry us like King or KAT. Our pitching was problematic (we had more Walks (5) and Hit by Pitcher (3) than strikeouts (7)-- we were behind in the count all night 2-1, 3-1 , 3-0 -that was just excruciating to watch. I might add the game was dreary- just 3+ hours of failure to execute. We looked like we needed some major coaching at times.
  2. The freshmen were a bright spot (Beachum did well (2-5) and was solid defensively - she will be OK). Torres played well and provided some offense. The negative was AD just did not have it last night.
  3. We made some critical errors on the base paths (Beachum's comes to mind as it may have cost us some real runs)
  4. We were behind the count all night. We would look at good strikes and then swing at pitches on the black and we were 1-2 -- 0-2 all night.
  5. It is obvious Mudge is not 100% (sub-ed for on the base paths and looks slower) - Hope is she will get better.
  6. The line up was a real conundrum- enough said about that- obviously if Mudge is not our lead off we will need to develop one. Kerr is a better fit in the 2 or 3 spot. Personally I would hit Harding 2 and Kerr 3.
  7. It was nice to have 2 southpaws available but both struggled. They have to be better for us to succeed. It was good to see AD work out of that one major jam.
  8. Beachum needs to move up in the line up- she looked dangerous.
  9. Despite our faults we kept coming back (and without an overturned call we had a win).
  10. I said early on this would be a bridge year and last night was a reinforcement to that thought. I am not giving up on a good year but we need major pitching improvement for that to happen. Clearwater may be frightening. On to Allison and maybe Gooden and maybe they will be better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT