ADVERTISEMENT

Mariota Much Better Than Jameis

alwaysgr8fsu

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
It pains me to say this cause I love Jameis but Mariota is better than Jameis and it is not close right now. Mariota took over a bad team just like Jameis did and he is playing some great ball and his team is playing the Colts really tough and scoring points.

It pains me to say this cause I love Jameis but Mariota is better than Jameis and it is not close right now. Mariota took over a bad team just like Jameis did and he is playing some great ball and his team is playing the Colts really tough and scoring points.

You don't know much about football. Did you even watch both games?

Reactions: CJRN

Lol...

Reactions: CJRN
lol Tennessee made it out like Mariota has been reading defenses as if he's been doing it his whole life.

Then the regular season starts and all they run is the Oregon read option with Mariota throwing quick passes with most yards coming from YAC.

Read option wont last forever. Gimmicks always eventually crumble. When I saw him dropping back against the Browns, the dude looked lost reading an NFL D.

Don't buy into his stats just yet. Guy will eventually have to run a real pro offense once DCs scheme to stop the garbage

Reactions: Archetype
This board is so salty at Mariota's NFL success. lol.

Last edited:
lol Tennessee made it out like Mariota has been reading defenses as if he's been doing it his whole life.

Then the regular season starts and all they run is the Oregon read option with Mariota throwing quick passes with most yards coming from YAC.

Read option wont last forever. Gimmicks always eventually crumble. When I saw him dropping back against the Browns, the dude looked lost reading an NFL D.

Don't buy into his stats just yet. Guy will eventually have to run a real pro offense once DCs scheme to stop the garbage

They do not run the read option. There is no possible way anyone has watched the Titans and think they run the read option. Mariota was great today, with the exception of one bad INT. And he is not doing it with gimmicks, that is flat out wrong.

Yeah guys, it's ok. Mariota is playing better right now. Winston is getting there. But the biggest difference is MM is way more accurate at this stage. JW will get better. His ceiling is much higher than MM to me.

For all the people insisting the Titans are running the read option. Can someone explain to me what type of read option offense has a QB run the ball only 5 total times in 3 games? Why are people insisting that is what the Titans run, when they don't run anything remotely similar to a read option offense.

For all the people insisting the Titans are running the read option. Can someone explain to me what type of read option offense has a QB run the ball only 5 total times in 3 games? Why are people insisting that is what the Titans run, when they don't run anything remotely similar to a read option offense.

Jameis actually played really well today . 10+ drops

Jameis actually played really well today . 10+ drops

I didnt see Jameis so I cant comment on that. I just find it bizarre that people think the Titans are running some sort of gimmicky college offense, when they quite clearly are not. Mariota has made some mistakes for sure, like any rookie is going too, but he has also looked extremely good at times too, and he is doing it running a pro system.

If you watched that TB performance and didn't see the Oregon offense written all over Mariotas success, I'm not sure what to tell you. 5-8 yard quick passes after pulling the handoff and allowing the receivers to pick up the YAC.

I got no ill will towards Mariota and think he's a heck of an athlete. I just see his skill set flaming out like RG3. Unless of course he ends up with a defense and RB like Russell Wilson.

Last edited:
MM is not better than JW. JW is coming along nicely and can make really good NFL throw.

If you watched that TB performance and didn't see the Oregon offense written all over Mariotas success, I'm not sure what to tell you. 5-8 yard quick passes after pulling the handoff and allowing the receivers to pick up the YAC.

I got no ill will towards Mariota and think he's a heck of an athlete. I just see is skill set flaming out like RG3. Unless of course he ends up with a defense and RB like Russell Wilson.

That was the first game, and he ran one run/pass option, that was it. One play is not a read option offense. Did you see him today? He was in the pocket all day and lit up the Colts d for 367 yards, and he didnt run it once. You are telling me that is a read option offense? I am sorry, but these comparisons to these other guys is just off. Again, he has ran it 5 times in 3 games.. His game game is more in the mold of Aaron Rodgers than RGIII or Russell Wilson.

Didn't watch Marcus play the last two weeks. Last week every source said he played poorly. Mariota in the preseason and the first week was running plays he could have ran in college. The NFL will adjust to his game. If he can read a defense and throw accurately to all parts of the field, he will make it.

I have watched Jameis. He looks like he can make it in the league. He is making throws few qbs can make and is already adept at audibles. The team around him isn't any good so he will have to hang in there.

It is possible that they will both turn out to be good nfl qbs.

Yeah, I dont understand the rivalry on this board people are trying to make with Marcus and Jameis. They played once, and won't play against each other again until 2019. They could both very well end up being good, and there still won't be any kind of natural rivalry between the two.

I got no ill will towards Mariota and think he's a heck of an athlete. I just see is skill set flaming out like RG3. Unless of course he ends up with a defense and RB like Russell Wilson.
Whether one wants to call it a read option or some other term, it is certainly very closely resembles the offense MM ran at Oregon. Every commentator, with the exception of our one poster here, agrees. That is not necessarily an indictment of Mariota's talents but instead speaks well of the coaching of Ken Whisenhunt. He is wisely using the skill set of his QB.

Whether one wants to call it a read option or some other term, it is certainly very closely resembles the offense MM ran at Oregon. Every commentator, with the exception of our one poster here, agrees. That is not necessarily an indictment of Mariota's talents but instead speaks well of the coaching of Ken Whisenhunt. He is wisely using the skill set of his QB.

No, no it does not. IN 3 games he has thrown it 100 times, and ran it 5. What, in that regard resembles the Oregon offense in the least? Again, there is no way anyone has watched the Titans and think they are running the Oregon offense. It isnt remotely similar.

Agree that they will both be good NFL QB's. Once has a better team around him right now. TB is getting better. JW is getting better. It will come.

Mariota played 1 game better than Jameis. The stats for todays game are very misleading. Believe the Tampa media has the tally at a minimum of 8 clear drops today that killed drives and possibly more drops depending on who you ask. The FG kicker missed 3 FGs and an XP. Players around Jameis failed today, not Jameis.

No, no it does not. IN 3 games he has thrown it 100 times, and ran it 5. What, in that regard resembles the Oregon offense in the least? Again, there is no way anyone has watched the Titans and think they are running the Oregon offense. It isnt remotely similar.

Jesus dude. You are missing the forest for the trees. Move past the rushing attempts. He's running a one read offense right now...just like he did at Oregon. Kudos to his head coach and OC for playing to his strengths. And he's playing well. But it's a simple offense to figure out with an aggressive scheme and sooner or later they are going to have to become more diverse in their reads and play calling.

If you really think that he's running a pro style offense, name me three other NFL teams running a similar system.

Jesus dude. You are missing the forest for the trees. Move past the rushing attempts. He's running a one read offense right now...just like he did at Oregon. Kudos to his head coach and OC for playing to his strengths. And he's playing well. But it's a simple offense to figure out with an aggressive scheme and sooner or later they are going to have to become more diverse in their reads and play calling.

No he is not running a one read offense, that simply is not true.

If you really think that he's running a pro style offense, name me three other NFL teams running a similar system.

Anyone who runs a pro style system. Again, he has a similar type of game as Aaron Rodgers, and they are running a system closer to that than they are a college system. And no, I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as Rodgers, just saying, that is a much closer comparison in terms of his style of play, than RGIII or Russell Wilson or guys that actually do run a spread option quite a bit.

How many games have you seen him play? Honestly.

Anyone who runs a pro style system. Again, he has a similar type of game as Aaron Rodgers, and they are running a system closer to that than they are a college system. And no, I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as Rodgers, just saying, that is a much closer comparison in terms of his style of play, than RGIII or Russell Wilson or guys that actually do run a spread option quite a bit.
No he doesn't Rogers throws the ball down field. According to ESPN's drive chart, 37 of Maiota's 44 pass attempts were short passes. Pro style systems traditionally push the ball down the field vertically. Oregon's offense threw the ball short 84% of the time.

No he doesn't Rogers throws the ball down field. According to ESPN's drive chart, 37 of Maiota's 44 pass attempts were short passes. Pro style systems traditionally push the ball down the field vertically. Oregon's offense threw the ball short 84% of the time.

Mariota threw it down the field all day today, and last week. I have a feeling you have actually only seen the Tampa game, and not the last two weeks. If so, then you have no basis for your opinion. And what drive chart are you looking at? Drive charts dont typically show that. And underneath and intermediate routes are every bit as part of the NFL game as throwing it down the field every play. Tom Brady has made a career of hitting Welker, Edelman, etc underneath and on intermediate routes.

Mariota threw it down the field all day today, and last week. I have a feeling you have actually only seen the Tampa game, and not the last two weeks. If so, then you have no basis for your opinion.
I read that directly from the espn site. I didn't make up that stat. Obviously, your definition of throwing down field differs from the NFL's.

Check this out. You can't put everything on the field on JW or MM. There are players around them that either help or hurt as well. TB's O line is getting better. He was not sacked today. No sacks. JJ Watt, Wilfork and Clowny and no sacks. Let that sink in. Watch the press conference. JW is also becoming better and better at handling the press. This is a grown man press conference. Takes the responsibility squarely on his shoulders. Looking forward to the rest of the country getting to know the JW we've been cheering for these last 3 years.

I read that directly from the espn site. I didn't make up that stat. Obviously, your definition of throwing down field differs from the NFL's.

So, you didnt see him play? That is what I figured. . That chart is a joke, it says an 8 yard pass is a short pass. An 8 yard pass is the staple of the NFL.

Just like I thought. You fit your definition to fit your defense of Mariota.

If you think throwing 7-10 yard routes is just throwing short passes I am not sure what to tell ya. Tom Brady has made a career picking defenses apart on underneath routes, but no one would suggest he isnt a pro style QB. Plus, he wasnt limited to those distances, he threw it 15 yards or more several times. I didnt realize all the pro style QBs slung it 20 yards down the field every play.

But you admit you havent actually watch im play since week 1 yes?

BTW. Tom Brady last year averaged 7.06 yards a pass attempt. Marcus in this first 2 games, averaged 8.9. I guess Brady isn't running a pro style system. IN fact. Romo lead the league with YPA at 8.52. And both of those guys, plus Aaron Rodgers, had several receivers who were among the leaders in YAC. So I am unsure where this idea comes from that Mariota doesnt throw it down the field, when he averages more YPA thus far, than the league leader did last year.

Last edited:
All I know Mariota numbers look much better than Jameis and his team is actually scoring points. They have score over 30 points 2 out of 3 games with a rookie QB and Jameis hasn't hit the 30 point mark once and all of his games have been a struggle. He needs to step it up big time since Mariota has looked much more comfortable and they both are on suck teams

JW is doing ok. He's on schedule. Yes MM pools better now but like I said I believe JW has a higher ceiling. JW just needs to get more accurate

If Mike Evans holds on to the ball and Brindza makes a couple of kicks both QBs are 2-1.

Its far too early in either career to determine anything yet. Most rookie qbs look absolutely terrible their rookie season. Lets compare their stats three years down the line and see how each is doing. Right now, Winston's major issue (aside from spotty o-line play) is that he steal believes in himself too much. There's a lot of throws he could trust to hit in college that simply aren't options in the NFL. He's going to have to learn which throws he can risk and which he can't. As long as he can make that adjustment which I think he will, then he'll be fine.

Reactions: Stingray Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT