ADVERTISEMENT

Mariota Much Better Than Jameis

Warchant hates him lol. Downplayed him in college and somehow are still downplaying him in the NFL. Dude had a monster game today and threw the GW touchdown in OT.

Reactions: nole96
Gotta give Mariota his due. Even if you take away the interception turned touchdown, he played well today.

Yeah he was great today. Amazing how much better the offense looks with a new HC who addressed the offensive line issues. That offense looked like a different team today all around.

His first TD was thrown into double coverage where both defenders should have intercepted it but instead knocked it into the receivers hands, who then ran the rest of the way for a TD.

But I tend to agree, he's better than the TC gives him credit for. I do think he goes the RGIII, Colin K. route eventually though.

They are putting him in a very good position to succeed. I'll admit he looks good so far, I have my doubts if he can keep it up, but he looks good so far

I think a lot of people "hating" on Mariota is more of a defense for Jameis in how he was treated vs. the saint-like praise Mariota received the past two years. Doesn't make it right, but many of us want Jameis to out perform Mariota VERY badly... really for vindication/redemption

Reactions: Urban Cryer
I think it's because Mariota does less to succeed than Jameis, who makes some incredible throws. Not really a bad thing assuming NFL defenses don't adjust the way they did with guys like Kaepernick (spelling? ). Also completely possible that both MM and JW become great qb's. Their success is not at all related to the success of the other, as much as the media liked to act like it could only be one or the other.

I think it's because Mariota does less to succeed than Jameis, who makes some incredible throws. Not really a bad thing assuming NFL defenses don't adjust the way they did with guys like Kaepernick (spelling? ). Also completely possible that both MM and JW become great qb's. Their success is not at all related to the success of the other, as much as the media liked to act like it could only be one or the other.
But Mariota is making plays THROWING the football. He is barely running at all. Jameis is running more than Marcus is.

But Mariota is making plays THROWING the football. He is barely running at all. Jameis is running more than Marcus is.
Was not referring to his legs. His offense is much more predicated on quick reads and shorter throws. His critics question whether or not he can make plays when he has to make plays, through the air, like Jameis.

Was not referring to his legs. His offense is much more predicated on quick reads and shorter throws. His critics question whether or not he can make plays when he has to make plays, through the air, like Jameis.

I dont understand where this criticism comes from though. Yeah, he is a rookie so he is going to make mistakes at times, but he can make any throw an NFL QB should be expected to make.

His first TD was thrown into double coverage where both defenders should have intercepted it but instead knocked it into the receivers hands, who then ran the rest of the way for a TD.

But I tend to agree, he's better than the TC gives him credit for. I do think he goes the RGIII, Colin K. route eventually though.

Why do you think he goes the way of RGIII or Kaepernick? He isn't being utilized the same way those guys are/were at all.

I dont understand where this criticism comes from though. Yeah, he is a rookie so he is going to make mistakes at times, but he can make any throw an NFL QB should be expected to make.
Well, he hasn't really proven that yet. Not at all saying he can't he just hasn't had to prove it yet. He will eventually. Until then, why not go with easy stuff until defenses adjust? I'm not a Mariota critic at all, I just see where they get their ammo.

Well, he hasn't really proven that yet. Not at all saying he can't he just hasn't had to prove it yet. He will eventually. Until then, why not go with easy stuff until defenses adjust? I'm not a Mariota critic at all, I just see where they get their ammo.

It isn't easy stuff though. Quick slants and underneath routes and things of that nature are a part of the NFL, even more so than slinging it 15-20 yards down the field every play. Tom Brady has made a career of picking teams a part on underneath routes. I mean yeah, you have to push it down the field at times but the offense he is running is an NFL offense. He isnt running some sort of gimmicky college offense at all.

It isn't easy stuff though. Quick slants and underneath routes and things of that nature are a part of the NFL, even more so than slinging it 15-20 yards down the field every play. Tom Brady has made a career of picking teams a part on underneath routes. I mean yeah, you have to push it down the field at times but the offense he is running is an NFL offense. He isnt running some sort of gimmicky college offense at all.
I'm a pretty big pats fan, which probably isn't popular on these boards, but because of that I can promise you what Mariota is doing is very different than what Brady does. Watched both today, not even a comparison. Also didnt say he was running gimmicks. What he is running is a large amount of quick reads, and not having to make many anticipatory throws. In this sense, its easy. Nothing wrong with easy. Idk what you're arguing I dont think Mariota is bad.

I'm a pretty big pats fan, which probably isn't popular on these boards, but because of that I can promise you what Mariota is doing is very different than what Brady does. Watched both today, not even a comparison. Also didnt say he was running gimmicks. What he is running is a large amount of quick reads, and not having to make many anticipatory throws. In this sense, its easy. Nothing wrong with easy. Idk what you're arguing I dont think Mariota is bad.

I am not saying he is doing the same things as Brady. Brady is an established veteran and on the short list of best QBs ever. Marcus is a rookie who hasnt even played half a season yet, so obviously Brady is going to be trusted to do more than Marcus at this point. But this idea that quick or short passes is a bad thing I dont understand. They just ran a graphic during the Colts/Broncos game. Brady averages 8.3 yards a pass attempt, which is the lowest of any starting QB in the league, yet at the halfway point I think he is easily the front runner for the MVP. Hitting receivers on short and intermediate routes is the staple of NFL passing games, and Marcus does that very well. I dont understand why people criticize this.

I am not saying he is doing the same things as Brady. Brady is an established veteran and on the short list of best QBs ever. Marcus is a rookie who hasnt even played half a season yet, so obviously Brady is going to be trusted to do more than Marcus at this point. But this idea that quick or short passes is a bad thing I dont understand. They just ran a graphic during the Colts/Broncos game. Brady averages 8.3 yards a pass attempt, which is the lowest of any starting QB in the league, yet at the halfway point I think he is easily the front runner for the MVP. Hitting receivers on short and intermediate routes is the staple of NFL passing games, and Marcus does that very well. I dont understand why people criticize this.
Good lord how bad do you want to be right? Keep repeating the same points over and over and you'll get the same responses. Brady's short throws are not the same as Mariota's. You either accept this or you don't. He is still a good QB and I imagine he will continue to be. I'm done with you.

Good lord how bad do you want to be right? Keep repeating the same points over and over and you'll get the same responses. Brady's short throws are not the same as Mariota's. You either accept this or you don't. He is still a good QB and I imagine he will continue to be. I'm done with you.

We are having a discussion, good grief.

I wish JW had some receivers. Three main guys injured. Mike Evans dropped two passes that hit his hands on the same drive and the other WR's can't seem to get open. Painful to watch.

I wish JW had some receivers. Three main guys injured. Mike Evans dropped two passes that hit his hands on the same drive and the other WR's can't seem to get open. Painful to watch.
And he just dropped two more placed right in his hands to kill a drive. The idea that JW has better targets is made by those who haven't watched their games.

Reactions: mlanton
I was agreeing with you. Is that not what you said? We have established that the difference in receivers is meaningless yes? The o-lines are apparently meaningless too based on your previous post. You said it isn't complicated, and you at least seem to be arguing that the teams around them are pretty equal, or don't matter for much at least. So what other logic is there other than Mariota is terrible and Winston is great?

Never said any of those things. I said if both are getting the same # of attempts then clearly both QB's have similar time and interest in throwing that far downfield. Hey maybe Kenny Powers is your deep threat..if he sucks so bad at it then probably look for some other way to move the football. Continuing to try that is partly on the QB for a not so great decision. Having the time to try it means at least something.

The # of attempts is a way to weed out real reasons from simple excuses. I would say Winston is much better at throwing the deep ball.

And he just dropped two more placed right in his hands to kill a drive. The idea that JW has better targets is made by those who haven't watched their games.

Indeed. If you simply look in the box score, you'd think Evans had a great game - 8 catches, 150+ yards. If you watched the game, you realize he played poorly, with 6 drops.

I do think that a healthy Evans is a top level receiver, but he's not been that this season. He missed pretty much all of the preseason, having pulled a hammy early on. It's clear watching him that he isn't 100%, and probably won't be this entire season. With Jackson, Murphy, and their starting TE out, he's throwing to a bunch of guys who may as well be part of the witness protection program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT