ADVERTISEMENT

Mayo Clinic cardiologist shoots down PSU myocarditis numbers

I’m done arguing about this, because regardless of what you or I think about it, ultimately it’s not our health on the line. It’s ultimately up to the players to decide whether they want to risk it. It’s just unfortunate we are putting 18-22 year old young men in the position of making potentially life-altering decisions under a lot of pressure and incentives to play.

I’m done arguing about this, because regardless of what you or I think about it, ultimately it’s not our health on the line. It’s ultimately up to the players to decide whether they want to risk it. It’s just unfortunate we are putting 18-22 year old young men in the position of making potentially life-altering decisions under a lot of pressure and incentives to play.

Preach

Reactions: rowdienole
Perhaps you missed the part about them being permitted to opt out? It is ultimately up to the players.

You just perfectly described National Signing Day. One of the most celebrated days in the college football year.
Whether you go to Baylor or TCU is a much different kind of “life-altering” than what I’m talking about. But you knew that.

Your 2nd and 3rd sentence are totally contradictory. Just saying,

Whether you go to Baylor or TCU is a much different kind of “life-altering” than what I’m talking about. But you knew that.
I know in one sentence you say you want college ball to be played and in the next you refute any information that may help make that a possibility. I know in one sentence you say you want the kids to make the decision and in the next you say it is unfortunate they have to.
I'm not sure you even believe what you are trying to sell.

They can literally opt out and lose nothing. Not their scholarships, not a year of eligibility. They lose nothing. So please define the “pressure and incentives.”

a much different kind of “life-altering” than what I’m talking about.
How so? Based on what? Will it be different when they are starting up later in the fall or January as it has been proposed? We have 170 years of data on Myocarditis. We have testing available multiple times weekly. We have several months of other leagues in the world regarding post covid ramifications.
Why the BIG10 and PAC12? What makes them so different?

They can literally opt out and lose nothing. Not their scholarships, not a year of eligibility. They lose nothing. So please define the “pressure and incentives.”
He is not really talking about COVID.

I would have more respect for some people if they wouldn't hide behind the virus to push agendas. That goes for both sides, I dislike both equally.

I know in one sentence you say you want college ball to be played and in the next you refute any information that may help make that a possibility. I know in one sentence you say you want the kids to make the decision and in the next you say it is unfortunate they have to.
I'm not sure you even believe what you are trying to sell.
None of those is contradictory. I think it can be played, without fans, and with some common sense health and safety measures in place. IMO, if someone gets Covid they should get the testing necessary to determine if they have myocarditis, and if they do, sit out for three months per the recommendation of the health professionals.

It is up to the players, and it’s a difficult situation to have them have to make that decision. My point in saying this was just to point out that while, yes, it’s up to them, there is an incredible amount of pressure for them to play, even if they don’t feel it’s in the interest of their health, which is worth considering. That’s all.

None of those is contradictory. I think it can be played, without fans, and with some common sense health and safety measures in place. IMO, if someone gets Covid they should get the testing necessary to determine if they have myocarditis, and if they do, sit out for three months per the recommendation of the health professionals.
Great, then we are all set. Let's play ball.
And I have not seen the three month rule, nor do I agree with it. Cases should be treated individually.

Reactions: FSU1096
Oh, I didn't realize that playing football was the only way you could get COVID. Great news boys and girls we are all safe!!!!

It’s just unfortunate we are putting 18-22 year old young men in the position of making potentially life-altering decisions under a lot of pressure and incentives to play.

Perhaps you missed the part about them being permitted to opt out? It is ultimately up to the players.

I think he implied they are too young and stupid to make the decision. Probably not woke enough and not smart enough to follow the science .... the woke science

in other words.... the only solution if for the woke to make the decision for them like in the B10. They should not be given the choice .. they are not ready for such decision ..

do they have the best info? are they being protected? are they making good decision is in the eyes of the beholder. If my son was on the team I would want him to play...

How so? Based on what? Will it be different when they are starting up later in the fall or January as it has been proposed? We have 170 years of data on Myocarditis. We have testing available multiple times weekly. We have several months of other leagues in the world regarding post covid ramifications.
Why the BIG10 and PAC12? What makes them so different?
We’ve had this discussion before I believe. The Mayo people and the B1G medical people are looking at the same information, saying there is uncertainty because it’s a novel virus and the long-term impacts are not known re: myocarditis, or heart damage more generally. One is saying “we don’t know enough to say it’s unsafe, so until we do, it’s fine.” And the other is saying “we don’t know enough to say that it’s certainly safe, so we’re erring on the side of caution.”

If 30% get myocarditis, and the recommendation is that you refrain for three months from physical activity of you get it, then the ~30% of players who get covid and have myocarditis should be sitting out three months. And that’s going to be difficult to pull off, which lends me to believe coaches are going to be hiding things and putting people on the field who probably shouldn’t be. That’s my worry. I don’t think that makes me some sort of “agenda-pushing” radical. It seems hard for many of you to believe but I don’t consider this to be political. It’s about the health of the student-athletes. Which is easy to wave away when you’ve no skin in the game.

PSU doc released a second statement saying the information was second hand and was not specific to PSU. Several Cardiologist or docs called in the Packer today and basically stated there is no way they are doing the actual testing necessary (biopsies) on that many players to diagnose myocarditis. FAKE NEWS

BIG steps in it again!

He is not really talking about COVID.

I would have more respect for some people if they wouldn't hide behind the virus to push agendas. That goes for both sides, I dislike both equally.
Interesting. Please, explain to me what I’m really talking about because I’m dying to find out.

We’ve had this discussion before I believe. The Mayo people and the B1G medical people are looking at the same information, saying there is uncertainty because it’s a novel virus and the long-term impacts are not known re: myocarditis, or heart damage more generally. One is saying “we don’t know enough to say it’s unsafe, so until we do, it’s fine.” And the other is saying “we don’t know enough to say that it’s certainly safe, so we’re erring on the side of caution.”

If 30% get myocarditis, and the recommendation is that you refrain for three months from physical activity of you get it, then the ~30% of players who get covid and have myocarditis should be sitting out three months. And that’s going to be difficult to pull off, which lends me to believe coaches are going to be hiding things and putting people on the field who probably shouldn’t be. That’s my worry. I don’t think that makes me some sort of “agenda-pushing” radical. It seems hard for many of you to believe but I don’t consider this to be political. It’s about the health of the student-athletes. Which is easy to wave away when you’ve no skin in the game.
As far as "skin in the game", my nephew and Godson plays college football. He is on campus now and is starting practice next week. One of his coaches has tested positive in the last 10 days and is being isolated.
The 30% number has been dismissed, so we don't need to discuss that.
And I have not heard of the three month rule. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I had only read that the NCAA would not test them again for three months once the test positive. IMO, they should be retested again until negative and then have thorough examinations and return when deemed fit by a physician.

Reactions: nips 9
No. Do I need to be to take part in this discussion?
Seems like if you’re going to disagree with the advice of medical professionals you should at least have heard of it first. Otherwise it might just be a reflexive assertion of your AgEnDa.

As far as "skin in the game", my nephew and Godson plays college football. He is on campus now and is starting practice next week. One of his coaches has tested positive in the last 10 days and is being isolated.
The 30% number has been dismissed, so we don't need to discuss that.
And I have not heard of the three month rule. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I had only read that the NCAA would not test them again for three months once the test positive. IMO, they should be retested again until negative and then have thorough examinations and return when deemed fit by a physician.
Fair enough, regarding the three month reference — from the Mayo Clinic: In many cases, myocarditis improves on its own or with treatment, leading to a complete recovery. Myocarditis treatment focuses on the cause and the symptoms, such as heart failure. In mild cases, persons should avoid competitive sports for at least three to six months.

Seems like if you’re going to disagree with the advice of medical professionals you should at least have heard of it first. Otherwise it might just be a reflexive assertion of your AgEnDa.
My agenda. Glad you mentioned that. My agenda is to keep things as normal(economy) as possible while testing and practicing other measures as suggested by healthcare professionals. I also want to keep the vulnerable safe with social distancing and keep our hospitals from being overburdened.
I also want to "follow the science" as it has been preached about incessantly. And if we follow, we will see thousands of players in countless leagues around the worldcompeting with very little issue. I am not reading about joggers in Central Park dropping dead during their morning jogs or little leagues being shut down due to myocarditis. I have only heard of one case at a BIG10 school and that young man is opting out.
What am I missing?

Fair enough, regarding the three month reference — from the Mayo Clinic: In many cases, myocarditis improves on its own or with treatment, leading to a complete recovery. Myocarditis treatment focuses on the cause and the symptoms, such as heart failure. In mild cases, persons should avoid competitive sports for at least three to six months.
I have read that article. If myocarditis is detected (and every student athlete gets a physical checking for this even in non-COVID years) then the guidance should be followed. The 30% number, well that is obviously not set in stone. Even Dr. Sebastianelli is admitting as much.

Reactions: rowdienole
My agenda. Glad you mentioned that. My agenda is to keep things as normal(economy) as possible while testing and practicing other measures as suggested by healthcare professionals. I also want to keep the vulnerable safe with social distancing and keep our hospitals from being overburdened.
I also want to "follow the science" as it has been preached about incessantly. And if we follow, we will see thousands of players in countless leagues around the worldcompeting with very little issue. I am not reading about joggers in Central Park dropping dead during their morning jogs or little leagues being shut down due to myocarditis. I have only heard of one case at a BIG10 school and that young man is opting out.
What am I missing?
Well done
A post that makes sense

Reactions: nips 9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT