ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Vick to be offensive coordinator

Good for Vick. I've been a fan of his ever since his revival with the Eagles.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game flow in the AAF. They've got some rules that I think the NFL and CFB ought to adopt, in addition to no TV timeouts...

“We’re looking at changing plays where either the fan engagement is low, or [for] safety [reasons].

For example, we’re getting rid of the kickoff for two reasons. One, it’s regularly considered one of the most dangerous plays in professional football. But the second reason is, if you look at almost any study of fans, they say the most boring play in a game is a kickoff. The least amount of stuff happens, it’s least likely to produce something interesting. So we’re getting rid of the kickoff, we’re going to start with the ball on the 25.

Obviously, if you get rid of the kickoff, you have to get rid of the onside kick. So what we’re doing… if you want to go for the equivalent of the onside kick, we will give you your ball on your own 35 and you’ll be facing 4th-and-10. If you convert, you keep going. If you don’t, you’re giving the ball back to someone knocking on your own red zone.

We’re getting rid of the extra point. We want people to play on the field, so they’re going to have to go for two points.

…. We’re going to take the play clock down to 30 seconds, so it reflects what’s happening in the game already. Most NFL offenses are getting to the line in 17, 20 seconds.”​

Reactions: cmanole
Particularly interesting to me is the 4th and 10 in lieu of onside kick.

Most recent data I could find suggests that a planned onside kick (ie one that is predictable / kicking team lines up as such) has a 20% success rate.

A 4th and 10 has about a 27% success rate.

So while the odds go up some (esp taking into account momentum), the excitement and chance of a comeback do as well. Which is great unless you're a fan of a team whose defense is gassed and just gave up a score. Then it sucks for you.

Good for him. The no kickoff might gain some traction and to be honest, that's the time I would usually sneak off to the bathroom or snack area.

@ReliableOstrich . That play clock would cripple old 6 & 6 Fisher. The 35 second clock was almost too little for him.

I like the kickoff but it also plays into their hand as well because it allows them to reduce the players needed on a team.

I'm very interested in watching football from Feb thru April. Hopefully they can get the talent.

So if you have a high powered offense, I wonder if a coach will always opt for the onside kick replacement and try to just keep it away from the other team the whole game. That would be hilarious if they converted 100% in a game and the other team's offense only got the ball because of winning the coin toss or at the half.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Good for him. The no kickoff might gain some traction and to be honest, that's the time I would usually sneak off to the bathroom or snack area.

@ReliableOstrich . That play clock would cripple old 6 & 6 Fisher. The 35 second clock was almost too little for him.
Guy would set unbreakable records for number of consecutive delay of game penalties and quickest use of 3 timeouts.

Fisher would be like...
giphy.gif

Reactions: billanole
It is an interesting concept on kickoffs. I think the biggest issue with kickoffs besides it being a boring dangerous play. There is a TV timeout after the preceding touch down and often times extra point. Then the change of possession timeout. Then the kickoff and subsequent TV timeout. There as many TV timeouts as there are plays after a TD.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I'm also quite interested in how they make up for ad dollars lost from removing TV timeouts.

I'd be all for ads on the field, jersey, between plays, or on-screen etc... if it meant a faster game with fewer commercial breaks.

I'm also quite interested in how they make up for ad dollars lost from removing TV timeouts.

I'd be all for ads on the field, jersey, between plays, or on-screen etc... if it meant a faster game with fewer commercial breaks.

Could be commercials during the run of play (think split-screen). Or something like soccer does with a combo of jersey ads + "these next 5 minutes are brought to you by XYZ"

yeah, my guess is that they'll just steal some ideas from soccer.

There are also still going to be timeouts where ads can be run quickly. I like some of the ideas, some of them feel gimmicky and I'm not certain will stick around. But of course, this is the level you can test out those types of things and then the NFL can steal what works and leave what doesn't.

Guy would set unbreakable records for number of consecutive delay of game penalties and quickest use of 3 timeouts.

Fisher would be like...
giphy.gif

“What you don’t understand is...”

“That’s not football; we play football the right way...”

“I won’t change my schemes; I’ve run the same plays for 182 years...”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT