ADVERTISEMENT

Morely Safer has passed

Bartdog

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2002
Jax
Morley Safer, the CBS newsman who changed war reporting forever when he showed GIs burning the huts of Vietnamese villagers and went on to become the iconic 60 Minutes correspondent whose stylish stories on America's most-watched news program made him one of television's most enduring stars, died today in Manhattan. He was 84. He had homes in Manhattan and Chester, Conn.

Safer was in declining health when he announced his retirement last week; CBS News broadcast a long-planned special hour to honor the occasion on Sunday May 15 that he watched in his home.

Man, i just might cry from this. Legendary news caster, and he just retired and they had a 60 minutes special about him.

Goes to say, when you retire there is not much else to live for, for some people.

Man, i just might cry from this. Legendary news caster, and he just retired and they had a 60 minutes special about him.

Goes to say, when you retire there is not much else to live for, for some people.

I haven't heard anything specific on his cause of death, but one blurb I heard on TV tonight said that those close to him said he was, "fighting to hold on long enough to see the 60 Minutes special they did for him." It sounds like his short time to live was the reason for the retirement.

Number 1 cause of death is old age.
Valid point. I guess I was thinking of Bob Simon who died in a car accident last year but he was in his 70s, so not exactly a spring chicken.

Many folks over the years tap out soon after retiring. Some other notables (from the sports world) would include Bear Bryant, Adolph Rupp, and Joey Paterno...

I haven't heard anything specific on his cause of death, but one blurb I heard on TV tonight said that those close to him said he was, "fighting to hold on long enough to see the 60 Minutes special they did for him." It sounds like his short time to live was the reason for the retirement.
Not sure how specific the info needs to be but he was 84. Maybe the borrowed time he was living on ran out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT