ADVERTISEMENT

Name something uniquely interesting/strange/out of the ordinary about your job

I think that was Tribe, discussing a previous job interviewing, or observing interviews of, prisoners.

I thought this was Tribe.

hqdefault.jpg

In my current job, really nothing. But when I was in WPB, a lot of the work my construction companies did focused on historic restoration of the mansions on Palm Beach. We would often have to find a way to mimic old world techniques in order to bring something back to its original condition. It was always a challenge to make something look old and new at the same time.
I have seen that a number of times. Thankfully it is still possible. Good stuff, Jim.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
My work is kinda redundant. We deal with the five Dees.
Death, divorce, debt, downsizing, don’t want it anymore...
I have been to all but North Dakota and Oregon in the lower 48 for work.

My work is kinda redundant. We deal with the five Dees.
Death, divorce, debt, downsizing, don’t want it anymore...
I have been to all but North Dakota and Oregon in the lower 48 for work.

I traveled to ND for a year and a half for work. Got two winters and they introduced me to a new understanding of cold. Summer was an amazing 3 months. And if you want to golf when the cottonwood trees are shedding, I highly recommend using red or blue or orange golf balls. Besides dead summer, you aint missing much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very impressed with you folks. Some amazing stuff.

In my case I grew up shy with a fear of public speaking but somehow or maybe because of it I've appeared before about 50 county commissions/city councils, 100 conferences, 30 judges, the governor and cabinet, legislative committees and lots and lots of pissed off citizens.

Bringing order to Florida's growth and development has been my life's work and obviously I've failed.

Interesting topic and honestly I wouldn't know where to begin with my job; about 90% of what I do fits the topic criteria.

Being in the operating room with surgeons I see a lot of interesting things. Scary to see what some surgeons don’t know.

Reactions: RTM58
In performing the duties of my job, I once became an outlaw in Dubai. I do, however, find it more interesting that they have an indoor ski mountain with snow when it is 110 degrees outside.

One interesting story is in the 90s my team was in Bolivia on a training mission. We were ready to leave and our aircraft had a broken part. USAF sent the part down; but the Bolivian customs office at the airport wanted a "tax" (think bribe) for the part, that just wasn't going to happen. After a couple of days of going back and forth with customs folks my team commander (who is now a 1 star in a very important position) pulls me and 2 other guys aside and says hey if we don't get this part by the end of the day I want a plan for you to "acquire" it. I had the reputation on the team as the guy that did good work; but also thought way out of the box and for me the mission was the important thing; if it had to be done I was the guy the usually asked. My team commander told us that he had our back if things went bad; told him Sir no worries when you say do it will be over and no one will know for days. We went through mission planning and let's just say we left the next evening.
For our team commander it was a risk reward thing. I think he also had the concern that he had a bunch of SF dudes walking around a foreign country carrying and the more time with nothing to do the more likely something bad would happen. As it worked out a bunch of us got the Bolivian bathroom disease and spent a bunch of time in our hotel. I spent a day watching Point Break over and over since it was the only movie in English on TV. Have that movie memorized to this day.

One interesting story is in the 90s my team was in Bolivia on a training mission. We were ready to leave and our aircraft had a broken part. USAF sent the part down; but the Bolivian customs office at the airport wanted a "tax" (think bribe) for the part, that just wasn't going to happen. After a couple of days of going back and forth with customs folks my team commander (who is now a 1 star in a very important position) pulls me and 2 other guys aside and says hey if we don't get this part by the end of the day I want a plan for you to "acquire" it. I had the reputation on the team as the guy that did good work; but also thought way out of the box and for me the mission was the important thing; if it had to be done I was the guy the usually asked. My team commander told us that he had our back if things went bad; told him Sir no worries when you say do it will be over and no one will know for days. We went through mission planning and let's just say we left the next evening.
For our team commander it was a risk reward thing. I think he also had the concern that he had a bunch of SF dudes walking around a foreign country carrying and the more time with nothing to do the more likely something bad would happen. As it worked out a bunch of us got the Bolivian bathroom disease and spent a bunch of time in our hotel. I spent a day watching Point Break over and over since it was the only movie in English on TV. Have that movie memorized to this day.
Soooooooo.....how'd you get the part?

I was wondering the same. My first guess is something like a multi pronged distraction technique with liberation of the parts by someone else on the back end. That way there got wear all their uniforms in one night.

in his own words "but also thought way out of the box and for me the mission was the important thing; if it had to be done I was the guy the usually asked. "

ratchet-guy-in-drag.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cfbfan23

Lets just say some people may or may not have broken into the office where they were keeping the part and replaced the box with another box that looked very similar to the box with part but only had rocks in it. There were distractions involved; although not those posted here. I will say though one of my team members who may or may not have assisted was a very handsome guy and probably would have looked good in that outfit. As a matter of fact when we played the game of if you were gay who on the team would you have a 1 night stand with and who would you marry, this friend was the # 1 one night stand guy for everyone. Of course that is another story altogether.

Reactions: funksouljon
Getting or giving?

My job is boring. Has been for a while. I have been angling to get a trip to India for over a year now to meet my offshore resources. Still not set, but might happen....

Why do you have tables and chairs located in India? Oh, when you say "resources", you actually mean people. Sorry, my brain bleeds when I hear someone refer to people as resources.

My job rarely feels like work. I mostly spend my days facilitating workshops and meetings to help large enterprises change how they deliver ideas. We play with Legos and poker cards and a variety of other "serious play" toys. The best part is that my wife and one year old daughter travel with me most weeks. No, I don't live in a van down by the river.

Why do you have tables and chairs located in India? Oh, when you say "resources", you actually mean people. Sorry, my brain bleeds when I hear someone refer to people as resources.
I assume the HR Director at your company is in charge of the tables and chairs?

My job rarely feels like work. I mostly spend my days facilitating workshops and meetings to help large enterprises change how they deliver ideas. We play with Legos and poker cards and a variety of other "serious play" toys. The best part is that my wife and one year old daughter travel with me most weeks. No, I don't live in a van down by the river.
I think that's because it isn't work.

;):)

I'm very impressed with you folks. Some amazing stuff.

In my case I grew up shy with a fear of public speaking but somehow or maybe because of it I've appeared before about 50 county commissions/city councils, 100 conferences, 30 judges, the governor and cabinet, legislative committees and lots and lots of pissed off citizens.

Bringing order to Florida's growth and development has been my life's work and obviously I've failed.

As a life long resident of Florida, I for one appreciate your efforts. It saddens me to see what is happening to our state. I am sure it is frustrating, but please keep up the battle.

I think that was Tribe, discussing a previous job interviewing, or observing interviews of, prisoners.

Yeah that was me. I was with a group of about six other Florida AAGs defending the state from a large class action case by the inmates. So we were forced to spend a day at each Close Management Facility (what Florida would call a supermax prison) around the state. I think it was 5 men’s and 1 women’s prison from memory.

We were warned over and over again how terrible the men’s prison was going to be. Guys jacking it and tossing it at us, guys throwing feces, guys trying to stab us etc... But lo and behold when we went to all 5 (or 6 I can’t remember) the prisoners were on their best behavior. Barely even a peep. The “worst” was one male inmate sang a song about how sexy I was while the guards and inmates laughed and joked. So no biggie.

But mah gawd...the women’s prison. I guess they hadn’t been beaten down appropriately like the men’s but it was like a caged bunch of horny masturbation monkeys. Just constant masturbation while naked at all of us man and woman, constantly reaching out trying to grab us etc...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT